• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORTRESS (Final Fantasy XII Followup by GRIN) Concept Art Repository

The gameplay here actually sounds a whole lot like Warcraft 3 multiplayer except without going on offense against an enemy base (in the sense that you're alternating between base defense and going out adventuring so you can level up and gather resources/treasure), but on a much grander and more epic scale. Sounds amazing and incredibly ambitious. I hope something like this gets made someday.

You've done some great research here. I didn't know very much about this project, and found the pieces you posted very interesting. Thanks for your great work!

BlazeP

Neo Member
This topic has made me so fucking mad at everyone who played FFXII for like 3 hours and then bitched about it online causing SE to shelve it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest problem with this game was always that it didn't begin life as an FF12 sequel. It began life as a general nordic sort of fantasy game, and when Wada visited GRIN about some other potential projects, he loved it and wanted to absorb it into FF. That was one of the things, then, that led to its ultimate downfall - Square being paranoid it "wasn't FF enough" and so on. I think had the game begun life as an FF rather than been adjusted into one, it might have survived.

Of course it had to be Wada of all people. FFS.

It would've been better if they had just sticked to it as a nordic game. The game sure had potential. What a shame.

As far as the screenshots go I feel it looks more like FFT Ivalice than FFXII Ivalice, given the conifers, riversides surrounded by rocks, and general grassy sparse forest feel.

IMOjJRcm.jpg

MLIor0xm.jpg

_-final-fantasy-tactiyhuo1.jpg

The architecture and costume design, on the other hand, don't fit any of the Ivalice games at all.

Dunan

Diipu, thank you very much for this topic! We FFXII devotees can only imagine what might have been.

I really like these environments and have no problem with them differing from what we saw in Dalmasca, Archades, and the rest of FFXII's world. Ivalice is much bigger than what's there, and this could easily fit elsewhere in the universe. As others have mentioned, the forests look like those in FF Tactics.

Matsuno once said that he's never going back to Ivalice. That's a disappointment. This is one of the most richly-imagined worlds in all of video gaming, and I'd hate to see it die the way it seems to be doing -- a slow corporate-decision-driven fall that is almost the polar opposite of an artist wrapping up his world and putting it to rest.

Xander51

Great thread! As a fan of Grin's games (yeah, even their licensed stuff had redeeming qualities I thought) I would have loved to see what they did with this. It's a shame that we will never get it, and a shame that none of the Grin off-shoots have the man power to produce something of this scale.

kurbaan

Banned
All i wanna say is I am glad this game was canned. As bad as Toryiama has messed up FF13 this generation, FF is still miles above being outsourced to some garbage western dev.

Orayn

A spinoff is very different from outsourcing the series in the Capcom sense, and I wouldn't call Grin garbage.

They seemed like a decent B-tier team with a good in-house engine, but Bionic Commando 2009 was their only real opportunity to prove themselves and it didn't wind up going over very well.

Tankallex

Banned
I'm more than a little disappointed that this game was cancelled, yet we had XIII shoved down our throats, not once, not twice, but soon to be three times. The game looks like it would have been amazing, that track was pretty awesome and the concept art looked amazing.

Top Bottom