• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune: Nintendo started talking to 3rd parties at E3 about NX; reception positive

thefro

Wasn't mentioned in the other thread about Miyamoto's comments, but there was a blurb in the article that Fortune heard that Nintendo was talking to 3rd parties about NX at E3.

https://fortune.com/2015/06/23/shigeru-miyamoto-wii-u/

The problem for Nintendo is the NX’s launch is at least a year away—likely more, as the company reportedly just started talking about it with third party partners at this year’s E3. (The reception, say insiders, was positive.)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I hope they take hardware, software tooling and online infrastructure requirements of third-parties seriously this time.

Eolz

That's some good news.
From what I can remember, it was cautious for the WiiU. Same here, depends where on the scale of positivity this reaction was, but still nice to hear.

Neoxon

The question is how many third party partners? Because if I recall, Nintendo doesn't exactly have a lot of those right now (basically just Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, & Atlus.....along with Activision to an extent). Here's hoping, though, since I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows that they need to get third party support back sooner rather than later (& the third party developers are pretty apprehensive about Nintendo as it is).

Ubisoft is generally positive about every new platform. Activision is likely to give Skylanders a punt with the Nintendo demographic. Disney will surely bring Infinity and some licensed shite. So who else?

Skin

Initial reactions were always positive. The problem lies in the fact that 3rd party games just don't sell on Nintendo's consoles. They always get some support out of the gate, but support is dropped once publishers realise it's that same story over and over again.

Excited at the prospect of a healthy third-party showing on a Nintendo console, should that be what NX is. Excited by the prospect of a new Nintendo console period.

I'm guessing considering the recent statements that Nintendo is betting on e-sports being a driver for them as opposed to VR that it will be very easy to broadcast gameplay, will have robust social features and online infrastructure, and that Nintendo will seek to secure games that are popular among streamers/e-sports. If so, then it's very exciting times ahead indeed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Initial reactions were always positive. The problem lies in the fact that 3rd party games just don't sell on Nintendo's consoles. They always get some support out of the gate, but support is dropped once publishers realise it's that same story over and over again.

Are we talking about Nintendo in general or just Nintendo consoles? Remember that Nintendo has a handheld line as well!

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure the reaction to the concept of the Wii U was positive. When they got the specs/devkit is when it came off the rails probably.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Positive, until reality kicks in and 3rd parties find out the hard way that the majority of people that buy Nintendo products do so almost exclusively for Nintendo software.

Neoxon

This is exactly why I doubt that Nintendo will ever get long-term third party support back anytime soon. The damage has long since been done, & Nintendo has done very little to fix the situation. Now they're in a position to where it'll take multiple console generations to mend the fences for the long-term.

Exactly which market are Nintendo hoping to capture now? The filthy casual moved away from home consoles after brief flirtation with the Wii, kids the age we played Mario and Zelda at are now playing Minecraft on their iPads and don't even know who Mario is, and "core gamers" have already settled into the PS4 and Bone...

I just don't see what kind of market Nintendo is hoping to carve out, unless they are hoping to strike upon another gimmick that can spur temporary Wii-like sales.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
For it to get 3rd parties means it has to be at least as powerful as Xbone.

They could also try to go after the high-end mobile device market. Given that they want to go into mobile anyway, and given that NX will be 'Android compatible', we could end up with a system in the ballpark of some multicore ARMv8 SoC with some PowerVR GPU.

Top Bottom