• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL this is so funny actually... If the game was free to download and play then I would understand all this... but are they expecting player will pay full and then spend even more to buy extra content?

Exactly. It's taking F2P style but doing it with a full price game. It's greed on a whole new scale, I cannot believe anyone would defent that model.

So they've increased the prices of the very top-end cars in order to make them feel truly exclusive and not cheapen the essence of driving a Bugatti, Ferrari etc? But completely coincidentally this just so happens to be at the same time that they extensively introduce micro-transactions? Yeah, go fuck yourselves MS. You've already had a very bad start to this gen in gamers' hearts and minds; don't do this and fuck it up even more.

WarMacheen

As I said before I own Forza 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I will never own Forza 5, never, not on sale, not bomba, never.

If GT6 follows this model, or any other fucking game, I will not own them.

most of you are wrong though. its not content behind a pay wall.

Yeah, its just content that has been put behind more grind to push people to tokens.

lefantome

first the features cut out then the real graphics now this.

Forza Motorsport 5 seems a real mess. Whate did the reviewers were playing?

Haunted

What I always want to see in such cases is a simple number:

How much would it cost to buy all the game makes available for real money purchases.

Just that simple number. Don't care if it doesn't make sense to buy every car with real money instead of in-game credits, don't care if you use the best or the worst possible deal to buy this.

Just tell me: how much does all the content in this game that I can buy with real money, cost.

I can't believe this. I was going to buy forza before reading this, but now, FUK NO!

This is completely unacceptable. Either make it f2p or stop gouging paying customers. Pay for the LE, season pass and you still have to pay with in game currency to get this cars...WTF is the point then? You don't do this to your fan base.

To cut the gifted cars for winning is one thing, but to then cut the credit payout as well and then add real money for tokens is bull shit. You're forcing gamers to grind like its an mmo just to buy a new car and basically force them to cave in to spend more money on top of the $60-80 for the game and $50 or whatever for the season pass....HOW GREEDY CAN YOU GET?

F YOU MICROSOFT FOR FORCING T10 TO DO THIS CRAP.

I'm pissed and us gamers should NOT stand for this. We need to make noise so they can AT LEAST increase the damn credit payouts for winning so we don't have to play for hours upon hours to buy that new Honda civic...ugh /rant

I would flat out stop gaming before I would support a micro-transaction based model for this industry. Plenty of retro and existing games to play.

PG2G

So they've increased the prices of the very top-end cars in order to make them feel truly exclusive and not cheapen the essence of driving a Bugatti, Ferrari etc? But completely coincidentally this just so happens to be at the same time that they extensively introduce micro-transactions? Yeah, go fuck yourselves MS. You've already had a very bad start to this gen in gamers' hearts and minds; don't do this and fuck it up even more.

They increased the price of the top-end cars... IF you don't use tokens. This isn't going to affect someone that is playing the game as intended and using the real in game currency.

Neuro

Those that support will argue that it adds gameplay to real life. Work harder to earn that extra money.

You konw what, Nintendo's console does not seem bad at all now...If Sony follows through both of them are going to have a real hard time staying alive in this gen...

On the upper end, our goal is to make the truly elite cars feel really exclusive. As a result, the top-end cars in Forza Motorsport 5 will cost significantly more in tokens than they would if you earned them with in-game credits. In the past, expensive cars could be purchased with very few tokens (not in proportion with the amount of effort required to earn the cars through racing), thus allowing players willing to spend tokens to jump straight into the most exclusive cars in the game. Now, we’ve made token prices equal to in-game credit prices. For those who want to spend some extra real money and get those exclusive cars, they’ll have that option, but they will no longer devalue the hard work of those who earned the cars through racing and building up in-game credits. Either way, expensive cars will have real rarity.

Jesus, what an awful way of thinking. Thanks for buying our game, now pay us more money so you don't have to actively play it.

They removed car rewards in Forza 5. Among other things.

What bullshit. Not so subtle attempt for the player to spend more in game credits than they would before, which in turn drives up the odds of spending actual money. With how little the content the game has to begin with this is looking like a sub $20 purchase in a few years. Probably used just to say fuck you

Guys guys, "Sony will do the same thing!"

GT6 and putting MP behind a paywall says hello

pixlexic

Banned

How much would it cost to buy all the game makes available for real money purchases.

Just that simple number. Don't care if it doesn't make sense to buy every car with real money instead of in-game credits, don't care if you use the best or the worst possible deal to buy this.

Just tell me: how much does all the content in this game that I can buy with real money, cost.

I agree with this. Don't use fake money.. just give me a price .

What's the problem here? You're not forced to buy anything... If I want to spend $72 to buy my Lotus, instead of grinding for hours to get it, why does it matter to anyone? Others can still get it normally, Turn 10 is just giving players options.

Orca

They increased the price of the top-end cars... IF you don't use tokens. This isn't going to affect someone that is playing the game as intended and using the real in game currency.

Read it again. They did the exact opposite, the cars cost MORE if you use tokens - not less.

Jesus, what an awful way of thinking. Thanks for buying our game, now pay us more money so you don't have to actively play it.

And again. They're saying THEY WOULD RATHER YOU PLAY THE GAME to earn credits.

How much does it cost to upgrade the crowds?

1joAFhy.png

AlexMogil

I have thought of that, too, but as long as you have Tiny Death Star and Tapped Out potentially charging $100 for whimsical in game fun-time currency there will be no definition. I can seriously see every game going to this, too. Upgrade your golfer, your cash, your points, your gold coins, weapon rental. Woo!

dungtongue

Neo Member
It's really disgusting how MS keeps trying to lead the industry in the worst directions. Hopefully they lose a lot of their influence (but don't exit the industry entirely) so that other dumbass publishers don't even think about trying to follow their lead.

What's the problem here? You're not forced to buy anything... If I want to spend $72 to buy my Lotus, instead of grinding for hours to get it, why does it matter to anyone? Others can still get it normally, Turn 10 is just giving players options.

Maybe because you didnt have to grind for hours in the previous games?

This is exactly why I'm not supporting the Xbox and I can't help but look down on people who do. We've been watching MS screw consumers the entire generation, it's nothing new, and the less push back they get the further they're willing to push it. Go back to the "horse armor" debate, plenty of people just brushed it off as "no don't like it, don't buy it". Well, you made your bed and now you don't want to lay in it.

Case in point.

pixlexic

Banned
Soooooo.... the answer is take out all micro-transactions and make everyone grind for the cars?

I still do not get the rage.

Because they're making it incredibly hard to get it w/o paying for it. Thats how most F2P games make their money, they know most people don't have the time to put into grinding out like that so they make something either near impossible or extremely hard/tedious to do unless you pay money for it. Yeah its an option but its taking advantage of consumers just to make more money on an already full priced game.

PG2G

Maybe because you didnt have to grind for hours in the previous games?

Have you ever played Forza or GT?

Because they're making it incredibly hard to get it w/o paying for it. Thats how most F2P games make their money, they know most people don't have the time to put into grinding out like that so they make something either near impossible or extremely hard/tedious to do unless you pay money for it. Yeah its an option but its taking advantage of consumers just to make more money on an already full priced game.

It sounds like they made it more expensive to get if you pay for it and didn't change much if you are getting it through the standard career progression.

weevles

It's a bad sign that console makers are trying to force the smartphone business model on their systems and games. In the smartphone world, the apps are sold at cut rate, low ball prices to hook consumers in, then the microtransactions provide the profit, but with console games, the buy-in is much much higher. $60 for a barebones game with the bulk of the gaming experience funneled into nickel and diming people for content is really going to destroy the Industry in the long run. I feel bad for people who jump into XBO and invest that much into their console and games only to find out all the things they are missing out on if they don't dump even more cash into the system.

Neuro

That doesn't make it better. If they did make changes, they did it because of the outcry. Same with Crimson Dragon.

So, is that the future of videogames? Do we have to scream at the developers every single time from now on to get them to scale back their shitty P2P2P mechanics? I will not be participating in this nonsense. I will simply not buy their games.

They will continue to push it and try to get away with what they can. If the public reception seriously impacts their image, they will make adjustments. But they will attempt it over and over again to dilute the consumer's sensibility for that stuff.

Ryse also has microtransactions, now Forza next up Gears and Halo will too...Microsoft needs to be hit on their sales really badly only then will they realise their error...

Oh yeah the media wont even pick these up cause they are given games and everything free of cost, I have been a hardcore loyalist of Microsoft's consoles but after all of this I refuse to part with any of my money.

I curse them from the bottom of my heart that this will become thier Xbox One will become the Atari Jaguar and will fade into oblivion

You have seriously pissed too many people off, its only a matter of time when the public starts to understand the devious nature of your greed.

You could also just not spend any money on the microtransactions. If they were to not earn any money from them they will stop implementing them.

If you really want them to see what you think, you don't buy the game.

A less extreme choice that still says 'hey, not putting up with that shit' would be to buy the game of the year edition, or complete edition should there be one down the road.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This is absolutely ridiculous. There is simply no precedent for this in $60 console games. This is several levels beyond any of the scummiest and most cynical cash grabs we've seen in console gaming up to this point.

They admitted to deliberately curbing the speed at which you can earn credits in order to make the fanciest cars hard to obtain. And they've taken it to such an extreme that it takes several hours of play in order to afford one of those pricey cars, and since you get nowhere near close to affording many of those cars by the time you finish the career, that means you're going to be grinding the same content you've already completed several times over in order to afford all the cars.

Oh, or you could buy their virtual currency instead, which they helpfully remind you of constantly.

They deliberately designed the progression of the game to be molasses slow in order to tempt you to buy virtual currency. It's F2P game design grafted into a $60 game with paid day one DLC.

Guys guys, "Sony will do the same thing!"

There was a thread a day or two ago where many people were convinced that GT6 was JUST AS BAD because they announced they were selling virtual currency as well, even though we have no idea how quickly you can earn credits in that game or how much they charge for cars or how valuable their virtual currency is.

I'm a little unclear on this issue, Forza Horizon had car tokens, a few could be earned, but you were expected to buy them. That said, there was never an instance were I couldn't purchase a car down the road with winnings from races (online and off). Is that still the case? Or are some cars listed as "shipping with the game" but locked out because of these credits?

You can eventually purchase all the cars in FM5 without paying for virtual currency, but the rate at which you can earn the in-game credits to buy the cars normally is so ridiculously slowed down that it would take you several dozen hours of replaying races you already won in order to afford them. You could race online, but since you are less likely to finish first, that would be a slower way to get credits than just doing career races over and over.

While Forza Horizon was littered with DLC ads and enabled you to buy tokens and boosters, none of that was necessary because the game gave out credits at a fair rate for playing the game. After playing Horizon for 25 hours (mostly single player, couple hours of online, and a couple hours of challenging rivals), I had bought most of the cars I had wanted and could afford to buy a couple of the 10 or so cars that cost over a million credits.

To earn a million credits in Horizon, it would take me, near the end game, two hours at MOST. In Forza 5, it would take several times that length of time.

I'm confused, are tokens the same as credits? And are any of these cars listed about also locked behind the $50 season pass?

You get paid credits in game for playing, just like in most sim racing games. Tokens are their virtual currency that you pay real money for.

The kicker with the Forza DLC is that once you buy a DLC pack, you still have to buy the car with credits or tokens. So if you paid for the DLC for the LaFerrari, which is a highly desirable and expensive car, you would still have to earn the credits in game to buy that car, which would take several hours of playing. Or you could buy tokens, which the game reminds you of constantly.

So if the LaFerrari cost 1 million credits, and you bought the DLC for the LaFerrari, you would have to either have 1 million credits on hand, play for the hours required to make the difference up, or pay for enough tokens to buy the LaFerrari. Yes, you would be paying them MULTIPLE TIMES in order to drive that car.

Haunted

I have thought of that, too, but as long as you have Tiny Death Star and Tapped Out potentially charging $100 for whimsical in game fun-time currency there will be no definition. I can seriously see every game going to this, too. Upgrade your golfer, your cash, your points, your gold coins, weapon rental. Woo!
Yeah, consumables you can buy repeatedly would obviously not really fall into that, or would at least have to be listed separately.

But just the amount for the gated content would be fine.

Do you honestly think that these microtransaction schemes have nothing whatsoever to do with how much and how often in-game currency is handed out? That they don't actually develop or tweak a game's progression curves based upon their microtransaction potential?

Turn 10 has also removed ways to make currency, earn cars and upgrade discounts. I don't think those decisions were made in a vacuum.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
FFS, Forza 1-4 were phenomenal games...so depressing how fast my interest in this franchise drove straight into the ground.

Soooooo.... the answer is take out all micro-transactions and make everyone grind for the cars?

I still do not get the rage.

Would they keep in a painful un-fun game philosophy if there was no easy way out (cash)?
Of course not, they do want people to be interested in playing the game.

Adam Sessler gave it a 5/5. He also said he liked the fact that everyone was crashing into each other.

He brought up in the Ryse review he was having enough fun to not mind the grind in Forza 5 (didn't feel it was a grind iow) to take issue with that system, but couldn't say the same for what he felt was utterly pointless upgrades and boring gameplay in Ryse.

You also can't look at the review without looking at how someone approached it. Sessler wasn't looking to specifically unlock or complete, nor does it seem like he dabbles much in that genre.

The way he went about playing the game was far more different than what Eurogamer did.

jabuseika

To be fair, you get those 1 million credits by preordering from Amazon, for no extra charge.

Just like you get custom livery cars if you preorder from Gamestop.

It's not adding anything new to the game or making you pay extra.

I have seen people mention that they could allow the purchase of "extra" credits with real money, but there are no details out on that.

Also GT has never locked content behind a pay wall from the get-go, GT5 didn't have it's first payed DLC until a year after it released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom