• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon demo impressions

nofi

Is it the same demo that was on show at the Eurogamer Expo? If so, it's really, really limited.

Hope not.

mujun

Thanks!

And for once signing in with my Japanese account (my gold one) actually let me get the demo!

trinest

Is it the same demo that was on show at the Eurogamer Expo? If so, it's really, really limited.

Hope not.

What I was tweeted when I asked what was in it "you'll get to compete in several events from the Horizon Festival, with a limited (but awesome) choice of cars. "

So maybe?

nofi

What I was tweeted when I asked what was in it "you'll get to compete in several events from the Horizon Festival, with a limited (but awesome) choice of cars. "

So maybe?

Probably not, then. The EGE demo was (AFAIK) just one car, one track.

derFeef

What's in the demo:

In the demo, players will get a chance to experience the Colorado of “Forza Horizon”, driving a number of different cars across a variety of different event types – from Horizon Festival events taking place in the dusty, dirt roads of the upper hills – to a climactic street race that find players winding up, around, and over the fictional Finley Dam.

Several of the events in the “Forza Horizon” demo will automatically become Rivals Mode events after completing them, allowing “Forza” fans to compete against one another to set the fastest time. In addition, players will be able to drive and explore a section of the overall game map to get a feel for the kinds of open-road adventure that is featured in the full version of “Forza Horizon.”

Mascot

Hoping the demo will reignite my interest. Game looks great from the footage I've seen, so I'm here, mind open, ready to be impressed.
Do your worst, Turn 10!

S1kkZ

first impressions (after 3 races):

-great visuals and solid 30 fps (i think there are tiny framerate dips in cockpit view, but that could also be the camera shake, not sure). the game looks really fantastic.
-controls feel great, a mix between arcade and forza 4 (you can tweak a lot of driving assists in the options, like f4)
-love the soundtrack so far

Fredrik

first impressions (after 3 races):

-great visuals and solid 30 fps (i think there are tiny framerate dips in cockpit view, but that could also be the camera shake, not sure). the game looks really fantastic.
-controls feel great, a mix between arcade and forza 4 (you can tweak a lot of driving assists in the options, like f4)
-love the soundtrack so far
30fps? Why would Forza go back to 30fps after all the hyping of Forza4's 60fps??

Aaron

Yeah, I need to get beyond this as well. I probably wouldn't have a problem if it was just called 'Horizon'.
I'm sure once I've played it a little it'll feel fine. I know why they slapped Forza on it, though I don't like it.

Left my Xbox on all night, I just set it to download from my work pc. I'll see in a few hours whether this worked. *fingers crossed*

meppi

just set the console to english = english voices.

I always set my hardware to English. So I guess this demo version is probably specific for the Netherlands and Flanders.
Always hate when they do this. But the finished game will probably be multilingual anyway.

Shaneus

Yeah, I need to get beyond this as well. I probably wouldn't have a problem if it was just called 'Horizon'.
PGR went from 60 to 30fps from it's first to second game... didn't seem to affect people's opinion of the game that much.

30fps can be awesome when done well. Just look at PGR4. Best example there is.

S1kkZ

I always set my hardware to English. So I guess this demo version is probably specific for the Netherlands and Flanders.
Always hate when they do this. But the finished game will probably be multilingual anyway.

weird, got the german demo and its english.

Phinor

First impressions: all the text is translated into Finnish and as a Finn, I literally don't know what some of the translations mean. No way to turn this demo into english, this doesn't look good at all. Straight up deal breaker until someone tells me with certainty that there's an option for this in the full game.

edit: I already had my console in English settings but changing the locale to United Kingdom fixed the issue above. I do wonder though if this has an effect on match making because I sure would like to have proper language and still have decent pings in multiplayer games.

On the positive side, the physics seem pretty good. Nothing that rivals sim games but way above the usual arcade stuff like NFS. 30fps on the other hand, that you do feel and it is quite disturbing.

tait269

Change your locale to UK. That should give you English VO.

Fredrik

PGR went from 60 to 30fps from it's first to second game... didn't seem to affect people's opinion of the game that much.

30fps can be awesome when done well. Just look at PGR4. Best example there is.
You clearly didn't visit Bizarre's official PGR forum, they had to censor the phrase 60 fps because so many people complained about the downgrade.

Mascot

I'm one of those unfortunates who can easily tell the difference. My very first post on the Bizarre forums way back in 2003 was a rant on the very subject of halving the framerate from PGR. It was the reason I joined the forum - I was furious about it and wanted to vent my spleen. Things improved after that - I was invited to the Bizarre Christmas party and ended up being one of their PGR Nations official bloggers.

Never forgave them, though.

S1kkZ

finished the demo and love it. fantastic visuals, great controls, fitting soundtrack.

the slight stutter i mentioned in an earlier post is just the camera shake when you drive offroad and use cockpit view, no framerate issues.

U2NUMB

Felt great to me. Took me about 25 min to run through the races they give you and then you can free roam the limited area after that.

I am very impressed, felt like a forza game but had some very cool moments. Worth a download for sure.

finished the demo and love it. fantastic visuals, great controls, fitting soundtrack.

the slight stutter i mentioned in an earlier post is just the camera shake when you drive offroad and use cockpit view, no framerate issues.

What do you mean finished the demo, is it time limited, one race..... Talk to us

Nice to feel the surface of the road for once, if only on the dirt track. ffb isn't that bad at all.

I'm sure it's sub 30fps on the dirt race though, maybe the drop from 60 will take some time to get used to. 4xAA by the look of it, I like what I've played so far.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Game is fantastic. Once you've finished all the events you can free roam the demo area, as well. Really fun just driving around.

Visuals look great, and the AA is a noticeable step-up from Forza 4.

Had to tear myself away, but want to save myself for the full game.

Top Bottom