• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

eek5

I know this probably won't happen but I hope they fix the lighting in the livery editor. The back is so fucking dark you can't even tell what shapes you put down :/

It would be really nice to work in the home-screen/autovista-like environment with a high poly model too.

eek5 said:
I know this probably won't happen but I hope they fix the lighting in the livery editor. The back is so fucking dark you can't even tell what shapes you put down :/

It would be really nice to work in the home-screen/autovista-like environment with a high poly model too.

Speaking of ... have they said anything about how the livery editor is being improved? They've been awfully quiet on some fronts and that makes me nervous. I really hope this isn't a Forza 3.5 but I'm kind of getting that vibe. I will enjoy it either way because what I've seen is awesome but with 2 years I really hope Autovista isn't their crowning achievement for Forza 4.

eek5

flyinpiranha said:
Speaking of ... have they said anything about how the livery editor is being improved? They've been awfully quiet on some fronts and that makes me nervous. I really hope this isn't a Forza 3.5 but I'm kind of getting that vibe. I will enjoy it either way because what I've seen is awesome but with 2 years I really hope Autovista isn't their crowning achievement for Forza 4.
No info on tuning/painting yet :/

Mascot

flyinpiranha said:
I don't think there are any pleasant surprises left.

Plenty of unpleasant surprises though. Hope I'm wrong.

Snubbers

I can see it's getting to the stage we are forgetting all the awesome improvements and starting to consume ourselves with all the negative stuff..

I'm happy enough, 2 years for

- 16 cars on track
- New game modes (Autocross/Soccer/Overtake challenge)
- Better AI with auto-upgrades
- 5 new tracks
- Better overall lighting
- Better detail on existing tracks
- Much better interiors
- More suspension travel/general visceral effects
- Autovista
- Rivals Mode
- Clubs
- Lots of nice new cars (well some are old ;))
- New physics
- More localised damage
- PUBLIC EFFING LOBBIES!!!!
- New career
- Topgear Stuff
- Kinect Head Tracking / Voice menu shortcuts
- Nice homespaces for photo mode (presumably)
- Alledged improved Audio

the 'expecting to be pretty much as-is with minor improvements'
- Livery editor (only needs small tweaks, at least we can import old livery groups)
- Photomode (total speculation, lets not build up our hopes)
- Pitstops
- Tuning and customisation (Although progress unlock upgrades has been mentioned)

The 'probably not in, so don't expect it'
- Night
- Rain
- Porsche

All in all, despite one or two setbacks, and lets face it, 2 years isn't a long time (IMO), if people think this is FM3.5, I'd hate to think how they deal with CoD iterations etc..

Xanadu

Banned
Snubbers said:
I'd hate to think how they deal with CoD iterations etc..
i think pretty much everyone is pissed at cod, im pretty happy with forza 4 so far and i'm going to buy it day 1, i just hope they have some more damn tracks

Xanadu said:
i think pretty much everyone is pissed at cod, im pretty happy with forza 4 so far and i'm going to buy it day 1, i just hope they have some more damn tracks
How hard would it be to take the tracks from Forza 1 and update them?

eso76

Snubbers said:
I can see it's getting to the stage we are forgetting all the awesome improvements and starting to consume ourselves with all the negative stuff..

For real. You can announce a sequel with megaton reveals, but if you don't keep feeding people bombshells periodically until release someone will just forget about them and start thinking..so, that's all ? meh !

At one point this also happened to PGR4...someone would dare call it PGR3.5

Also. Upgrading Fm1 tracks is not that easy.
Last gen stuff has to be redone from scratch. Well, sure, not everybody seemed to care (cough..PD..cough) but last gen assets won't do. Updating fm1 tracks means remaking them for the most part, which basically takes as much time as doing things from scratch.

saladine1

I joked with Turn 10's Brian Ekberg that the menu and loading screens were so vivid that they should have just saved themselves 100 hours of rendering and used a real photo with a Photoshop filter to make them look digital. He responded by saying: "I wish it only took 100 hours!"
...They listened to the critiques of the gamer community and addressed them all, starting with enemy number one - load times. The load times are dramatically less and will not leave you hanging there starting to get all A.D.D. wondering what you were doing staring at the TV again
..The gameplay is unbelievable with super high frame-rate and sharp modeling, the environment is pushing lots of polygons past you. But at the same time, it didn't seem to hiccup when the screen was full of objects and cars but held its ground.
When we switched to the Cougar it was really like stepping back in time complete with lots of noise and lots of body-roll. Around some corners, we could feel the momentum of the big car rocking lame skinny tires allow the car get unglued and go into full 4-wheel drift.
http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/08/22/forza-motorsport-4-first-impressions-of-the-new-xbox-racer/

Again, nothing new, but it's reassuring that there's so much positive impressions around..

Is it me or are the menus... Not as great as FM3? I don't like white schemes yet F3's UI was incredible. FM4's doesn't look nearly as good. Not saying it'll suck but... Just an opinion :p

With this comes the soundtrack 'issue' I have too. I love FM3's songs. I would LOVE if they had all of them in FM4 along with new ones. I know I can just play them by streaming from my PC but it just isn't the same. I've heard some songs from the new game and they sound similar, very similar in style, tone, etc. Which is great news. I'm just afraid it won't have memorable songs like FM3 to me has.

Just a few things to spark discussion... These are by no means dealbreakers to me. Number of locations is a whole different matter though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mascot said:
So where is this new PGR appreciation thread of which you speak?

And how many people here used to post on the old Bizarre Creations forums? I recognise Saladine and Enzo from those days.
Good seein ya Masscot. I discovered yesterday benzy is scaled_at_ten, and I think Jay Dubya posted here, but he might've been banned.

Mascot

enzo_gt said:
Good seein ya Masscot. I discovered yesterday benzy is scaled_at_ten, and I think Jay Dubya posted here, but he might've been banned.
Lol, that crazy Dutch fuck should be banned from the planet for drug-fuelled sexual crimes against gerbils if nothing else.
When Activision closed the Bizarre forums it was a sad, sad day. Miklaren archived a lot of the old threads and Cheex set up Strange Developments as a new forum but it's slowly dying due to lack of interest.
Is your old man still rockin' Ferraris?

LeBoef

-bakalhau- said:
Is it me or are the menus... Not as great as FM3? I don't like white schemes yet F3's UI was incredible. FM4's doesn't look nearly as good. Not saying it'll suck but... Just an opinion :p

With this comes the soundtrack 'issue' I have too. I love FM3's songs. I would LOVE if they had all of them in FM4 along with new ones. I know I can just play them by streaming from my PC but it just isn't the same. I've heard some songs from the new game and they sound similar, very similar in style, tone, etc. Which is great news. I'm just afraid it won't have memorable songs like FM3 to me has.

Just a few things to spark discussion... These are by no means dealbreakers to me. Number of locations is a whole different matter though.

Nooooo... Its fm2 soundtrack i miss

Beats on repeat, beating on me
From every car in the street
There's a constant repeat, on repeat
Of your paranoid, heartbreaking beats
On repeat

LOL

Xanadu

Banned
LeBoef said:
Nooooo... Its fm2 soundtrack i miss

Beats on repeat, beating on me
From every car in the street
There's a constant repeat, on repeat
Of your paranoid, heartbreaking beats
On repeat

LOL
my god i hated forza 2s soundtrack, no racing game will ever top forza 1s though

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mascot said:
Lol, that crazy Dutch fuck should be banned from the planet for drug-fuelled sexual crimes against gerbils if nothing else.
When Activision closed the Bizarre forums it was a sad, sad day. Miklaren archived a lot of the old threads and Cheex set up Strange Developments as a new forum but it's slowly dying due to lack of interest.
Is your old man still rockin' Ferraris?
Ho damn, I've been away from BC forums far too long, I missed the closing of the forum altogether. And I'm broke as a joke bud, I think your thinking of iceburns288, still got him on my live friends list, though I've never played with him in the 4 or 5 years he's been on there. I remember him as well as the rest of the forum getting increasingly less active on the forum too as the days went on, after PGR4 especially. I moved my way to TXB and now found my home at GAF! :D

EDIT: The Project Gotham Racing Appreciation Thread is up.

Ty4on

Xanadu said:
my god i hated forza 2s soundtrack, no racing game will ever top forza 1s though
"Daft Punk is playing in my house, my house..."

God how I hate that song, it was the build up to nothing that annoyed me the most, but overall it was just really boring. Big fan of 90's EDM and liked Insomnia, it was heaven after all the tracks I hated, I had no music on my Xbox and I didn't want to turn off the few songs I liked, so I kept the music on. "Daft Punk is playing in my house" isn't that bad, I just got really sick of it and there's no depth what so ever in it, also really makes you wish the soundtrack had Daft Punk in it.

The FM3 soundtrack is amazing, it really fits the game and menu design without being dull. The songs in FM4 seem to be just as good and fitting the slightly darker look (menus are now grey).

saladine1 said:
FM.net forums down for anyone else?

Working for me...... My Forza however isn't.... I can't access that fucking part of the website 90% of the time, and it's pissing me off..... I've been meaning to create some videos too, fucking hell......

Ty4on

Xanadu said:
that had nothing on ULALA ULALA YOURE SO COOL
Long time since I played it, went through some of the songs, but couldn't find it. Googled You're so cool Forza 2, found CSS - Alala, ...

That intro is almost warning you.

Also, a lot of the songs are really similar, Spitfire, the one you mentioned, the one I mentioned etc. Think just a couple of people were in charge of the music.

adelante

Xanadu said:
that had nothing on ULALA ULALA YOURE SO COOL
LMAO damn song remain ingrained in my brain after spending many hours in F2's livery editor (and to make it worse, that same song was featured in yet another game I played tons that year...FIFA08!). Thank God for Lance Hayes

Xanadu

Banned
Forza Garage Round 1: Forza isn’t just about cars. Welcome the 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2009 Mercedes-Benz ML 63 AMG, and 2008 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged to Forza 4!

lol hummer h1

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
is the h1 a one off or are there more ridiculous cars coming to forza 4?

What car would be bigger?

None

The H1 is a fucking tank. I can't wait to plow through 11 beetles LOL.

If the warthog is in you can probably run over some cars with the hog.

2001_hummer_h1_4_dr_std_turbodiesel_4wd_convertible-pic-62047.jpeg

Xanadu

Banned
well maybe not bigger..but slower? GT went to the extremes

069.jpg

Mascot said:
Hummer? Jesus.

Dud anyone ever use the SUVs in F3?

the only one i ever used was the porsche cayenne, and now thats most likely gone lol

BADNED

Xanadu said:
is the h1 a one off or are there more ridiculous cars coming to forza 4?
Depends on what cars are ridiculous for you? For some cars like the Ferrari F40 or SSC Ultimate Aero are ridiculous while for others a Ford Ka or Dodge Omni. So the answer would be yes and no.

Xanadu

Banned
BADNED said:
Depends on what cars are ridiculous for you? For some cars like the Ferrari F40 or SSC Ultimate Aero are ridiculous while for others a Ford Ka or Dodge Omni. So the answer would be yes and no.
i mean cars you wouldnt expect in a racing game, like the h1 and daimler motor carriage lol

BADNED

Xanadu said:
i mean cars you wouldnt expect in a racing game, like the h1 and daimler motor carriage lol
I would say you are on the good side even though there are some monstrosities in the pipeline but those fit much better into the game then the H1.

Gowans

I like driving the different cars, always good multi game modes to be had to and really show how much better the other cars are.

Got my fingers crossed for the warthog.

Xanadu

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Got my fingers crossed for the warthog.

i have absolutely no interest in driving a warthog in a forza game but thats just me, maybe im just boring but i like racing games to be as realistic as possible which is why i dislike rewind and auto braking and stuff. its weird because my friend thinks GTR2 is the most boring racing game ever and the best is GRID. while i find the arcadey grid much more boring due to it being so unrealistic and easy, you hardly have to brake! csb right

sneaky77

Xanadu said:
i have absolutely no interest in driving a warthog in a forza game but thats just me, maybe im just boring but i like racing games to be as realistic as possible which is why i dislike rewind and auto braking and stuff. its weird because my friend thinks GTR2 is the most boring racing game ever and the best is GRID. while i find the arcadey grid much more boring due to it being so unrealistic and easy, you hardly have to brake! csb right

while I share the non interest in driving a warthog (and is likely not gonna happen) I don't mind the assists cause they can always be removed if you want it that way.

Xanadu

Banned
sneaky77 said:
while I share the non interest in driving a warthog (and is likely not gonna happen) I don't mind the assists cause they can always be removed if you want it that way.
oh yes i agree, but most people dont even know what TCS is and just leave it on by default then when it comes off, theyre screwed. like i had a lot of fun in forza 2 with assists, i used to create lobbies that force off all assists except ABS, would see almost every car spin on the first corner and leave the game lol

Top Bottom