• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found a dead ant in my soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
mpVUOIq.jpg
LThATgy.jpg

2RWSMtR.jpg

I'm not completely grossed out, but I kinda don't wanna finish it. >_< I considered finishing it, but there are too many dark bits floating around and I can't help but wonder whether or not any more are in there. Plus, after looking at the pics, I realized that I accidentally bought a can of "Healthy Request" soup. No wonder it tasted funny =p

I've never found any bugs in canned soup before, so this is definitely a first.

And on the subject of disgusting things found in food, what's the worse that you've found? This is the first time that I've ever found anything ALIVE before. I'm always finding myself biting into bits of plastic that have been cooked into the food >_<

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
That ant probably has the least amount of sodium and most amount of protein in that thing.

Anon67

What's the problem? I think it's pretty much confirmed that we'll be eating bug protein bars in the future.

Sometimes broccolini/broccoli/etc has tiny bugs on the stalk, frozen during transport. They're pretty hard to see, as they hide up near where the leaves are, greatly obscuring their numbers. After several instances of not noticing until I've already eaten some, I have begun religiously scanning green vegetables before consuming them. It takes a lot of joy out of eating such things.

That said, eating bugs is almost as bad as eating canned soup. Only one can be described as a mushy, disgusting mess.

Zombine

Banned
It's just an ant. What's the worse that can happen? You swallow it and don't crush the head and it revives itself and eats through your body?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Zero chance that ant was alive at any point if it originated from the can. The canning processes cooks the holy bejeezus out of everything in it.

Did the ant die before or after he went in the soup?

One time i was eating lunch in cambodia and only realized when i was done with the meal that all the spices i thought was pepper was actually ants.

You'll live OP. That is a big ant though.

mpVUOIq.jpg
LThATgy.jpg

2RWSMtR.jpg

I'm not completely grossed out, but I kinda don't wanna finish it. >_< I considered finishing it, but there are too many dark bits floating around and I can't help but wonder whether or not any more are in there. Plus, after looking at the pics, I realized that I accidentally bought a can of "Healthy Request" soup. No wonder it tasted funny =p

I've never found any bugs in canned soup before, so this is definitely a first.

And on the subject of disgusting things found in food, what's the worse that you've found? This is the first time that I've ever found anything ALIVE before. I'm always finding myself biting into bits of plastic that have been cooked into the food >_<
it's the healthiest thing in that can TBH

shem935

Banned
There are federally maintained regulations that limit the number of bug parts allowed in peanut butter. It's okay. Stomach acid doesn't discriminate.

B33

Banned
This is common.

The FDA has a threshold that it permits for insect contaminants in food. It can't be avoided in small fragments and isn't unhealthy for you.

Even if you don't see them, they're still present in your food.

LQX

Found a few in some frozen tamales I was eating awhile back. tamales are hand made so the fuckers either did not wash the corn husks are just did not give a shit ants were all over the thing.

Just eat it princess.

On the real though, I'm not as squeamish as most people. I've helped out in gutting animals in the past, Mexican style out in the dirt and whatnot so I'm probably less likely to be grossed by stuff like that.

These kinda threads are interesting to me because I feel like I have a higher threshold for what I would eat. Craziest thing would be a Viet dish named "duck's blood" and other stuff like Tripas that would gross people out.

That ant would not really bother me tbh.

entremet

I would've kept eating.

Ants don't really gross me out like roaches.

But I've eaten insects before in culinary preparations--crickets and ants.

Ants really have no taste.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Eat the ant with the soup cause it's full protein.

For your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom