• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four Months Later, Star Wars Battlefront PC is Dead

PC is about options and it strongly distorts such numbers for comparison. PC players tend to be spread across a much more varied set of titles. There are some games that capture massive audiences vs console. But some of the game that have semi thriving communities on PC would be nonexistent on consoles. So it's really not comparable. Battlefront shouldn't be a comparison game though for various reasons. I do believe the reason BF has so many more players on console though is because of more limited title options, a typically AAA focused player base (slowly changing) and not necessarily "superior PC player taste".

Console vs PC for FPS will never work without seriously gimping PC controls.

See I know my evidence is anecdotal but on many console ports the controller has some aim assist carry over. I play a good many titles with controller. Maybe I hamstring myself slightly on a game like BLOPS 3. But I do just fine and when I was playing with a controller. I almost always was or near MVP of the match. Most FPS games are somewhat about reaction speed sure, but just as important is map knowledge, positioning, angles, preparation etc. I actually found Titanfall for instance easier to play using the controller given how large a role movement played in it. Sure I'm not playing at competitive level, but only a small fraction does anyways so it's hard to say an FPS game that likely won't ever see serious competitive play should be seperated for that reason. Having a wider player base IMO is more than worth the tradeoff.

TheYanger

See I know my evidence is anecdotal but on many console ports the controller has some aim assist carry over. I play a good many titles with controller. Maybe I hamstring myself slightly on a game like BLOPS 3. But I do just fine and when I was playing with a controller. I almost always was or near MVP of the match. Most FPS games are somewhat about reaction speed sure, but just as important is map knowledge, positioning, angles, preparation etc. I actually found Titanfall for instance easier to play using the controller given how large a role movement played in it. Sure I'm not playing at competitive level, but only a small fraction does anyways so it's hard to say an FPS game that likely won't ever see serious competitive play should be seperated for that reason. Having a wider player base IMO is more than worth the tradeoff.

You admit you can't play as well, but you think it would be good anyway? Yeah, knowing where you stand helps a lot, but as a pc player it's a lot more open, because your reactable area is basically 360 degrees around you, on a console you're forced into sightlines and pathways that let you funnel ANY threat into your frontal cone. Titanfall is a horrible example, the things PC players do on that game are literally magic. I love it on console, but you have 0 chance vs a M&K player of any skill.

I mean, aim-assist helps, but a PC player has no cap on how fast they can spin to any point, that's a far larger advantage. They also need aim assist less, since even a poor M&K player simply benefits from the added precision in mouse aiming.

Edit: since Overwatch has come up several times in this and the other thread, a tracer PC player would literally be able to 1v1 any character in the game on a controller. Two controller players would probably be fine because the tracer would have the same handicap as the other.

MiguelItUp

Maybe I'm just lucky, but that's been my experience with the PC version. Full 12 or 40 player matches within 30 seconds or less, unless I'm drilling down directly into an unpopular mode.

The TC's problem could just as easily be a matchmaking glitch.

They really should patch in server browsers.
Nah, you're not just lucky, I'm having the exact same experience. I've been playing for hours throughout the day / night. I agree they should patch in a server browser, hell, every FPS title should have a server browser. I'm really over the whole matchmaking hand holding thing, going through a server browser is not hard. Plus it'd be nice to have more of a choice when finding your next game. The first one you find may not always be the best one.

Well, I always think it's pretty simple, actually.Just answer this question:

If you only own a console and you want to play multiplayer FPS games, what choices do you have?

And now answer the same question about PC..

DireStr8s

It's kind of hypocritical of hardcore players. Shitting on anything that would make gaming easier yet praising kb/m control. It makes aiming & movement easier; why isn't it derided as 'casual'? Not that I really care.

TP

It's kind of hypocritical of hardcore players. Shitting on anything that would make gaming easier yet praising kb/m control. It makes aiming & movement easier; why isn't it derided as 'casual'? Not that I really care.

I just imagined someone out there with square tires on their bicycle giving the stink eye to a bunch of peoples with round tires on theirs

casuals

You admit you can't play as well, but you think it would be good anyway? Yeah, knowing where you stand helps a lot, but as a pc player it's a lot more open, because your reactable area is basically 360 degrees around you, on a console you're forced into sightlines and pathways that let you funnel ANY threat into your frontal cone. Titanfall is a horrible example, the things PC players do on that game are literally magic. I love it on console, but you have 0 chance vs a M&K player of any skill.

I mean, aim-assist helps, but a PC player has no cap on how fast they can spin to any point, that's a far larger advantage. They also need aim assist less, since even a poor M&K player simply benefits from the added precision in mouse aiming.

Edit: since Overwatch has come up several times in this and the other thread, a tracer PC player would literally be able to 1v1 any character in the game on a controller. Two controller players would probably be fine because the tracer would have the same handicap as the other.

That's why I said Anecdotal. I can't talk as to other peoples experiences, only mine and my friends who play controller on PC and play very well. Also when your sensitivity is 10-12, like when I play I can turn around near instantly too.

Going by what you are saying next to nobody I played against on PC BLOPS 3, Titanfall, R6S have any skill, because like I said I was rarely not within the top few players.

That being said I honestly prefer more realistic games for your stated reasons. I'm a big Tactical shooter player like ARMA II/III. I'd prefer it to be more realistic where the weight of weapons and other choices effect all of your movement in realistic ways so each weapon has additional advantages/disadvantages. The problem is going more realistic while lowering the importance of pure reflexes doesn't cater to twitch shooters which is pretty much all that matters.

Starviper

That is pretty depressing, I wanted to go back and play some of the new content that was added recently.. Guess there's no hope of that on PC anymore.

That is pretty depressing, I wanted to go back and play some of the new content that was added recently.. Guess there's no hope of that on PC anymore.

Or maybe you should try it?

Listen, you have multiple currently playing PC people saying they find games in seconds.

The OP may not know that MM can be bugged, or that he can change MM regions etc.

TheYanger

I know you're joking, but it's not 'EASIER' it's better. There's a difference.

That's why I said Anecdotal. I can't talk as to other peoples experiences, only mine and my friends who play controller on PC and play very well. Also when your sensitivity is 10-12, like when I play I can turn around near instantly too.

Going by what you are saying next to nobody I played against on PC BLOPS 3, Titanfall, R6S have any skill, because like I said I was rarely not within the top few players.

That being said I honestly prefer more realistic games for your stated reasons. I'm a big Tactical shooter player like ARMA II/III. I'd prefer it to be more realistic where the weight of weapons and other choices effect all of your movement in realistic ways so each weapon has additional advantages/disadvantages. The problem is going more realistic while lowering the importance of pure reflexes doesn't cater to twitch shooters which is pretty much all that matters.
Turning your sensitivity up on a controller costs you control, though. You can't have both, and to be able to turn on a dime like a KB+M you'd basically have to set your controller to a sensitivity that would be unplayable. A mouse with a high DPI is as sensitive as you want it to be because the granularity of your control is entirely controlled by how much you're willing to move your hand. Very good KB+M players are getting a pretty good forearm workout in that regard.

MiguelItUp

Do it, you'll find plenty of matches, I guess unless you're bugged. The new content is awesome and worth checking out. It's literally all I've been playing ATM.

You are confusing the fact that m&k is superior to the controller for fps games with it being easy in absolute terms. It's not, m&k has quite a high skill ceiling and depth. (you would know if you played any PC online fps game) Recoil management, target acquisition, cross hair placement , bursting vs full auto are all things you need to learn and get better, they are not easy at all in absolute terms.

Turning your sensitivity up on a controller costs you control, though. You can't have both, and to be able to turn on a dime like a KB+M you'd basically have to set your controller to a sensitivity that would be unplayable. A mouse with a high DPI is as sensitive as you want it to be because the granularity of your control is entirely controlled by how much you're willing to move your hand. Very good KB+M players are getting a pretty good forearm workout in that regard.

Right but you are talking about the very high end of players, like upper level CS:GO players. The vast majority of PC players simply don't do the things you're talking about (400 dpi, 2-2.5x in game sensitivity etc.) so the divide is nowhere near what you're making it out to be. If you do want to play competitive, well you should be on PC with KB/M anyway as that's where the scene is at.

My argument is that the benefit of combining player pools far outweighs the downside in most circumstances.

TheYanger

Right but you are talking about the very high end of players, like upper level CS:GO players. The vast majority of PC players simply don't do the things you're talking about (400 dpi, 2-2.5x in game sensitivity etc.) so the divide is nowhere near what you're making it out to be. If you do want to play competitive, well you should be on PC with KB/M anyway as that's where the scene is at.

My argument is that the benefit of combining player pools far outweighs the downside in most circumstances.

You don't have to be a top player to have better control with a KB+M. It's literally impossible on a controller to do what even a mediocre or bad KB+M player can do in terms of aiming. You can be better at the game and you can have a lot better idea of what you're doing, but it's not like it's the same but better, it's literally "Hey they can do things I CANNOT DO" which is the worst kind of handicap.

You don't have to be a top player to have better control with a KB+M. It's literally impossible on a controller to do what even a mediocre or bad KB+M player can do in terms of aiming. You can be better at the game and you can have a lot better idea of what you're doing, but it's not like it's the same but better, it's literally "Hey they can do things I CANNOT DO" which is the worst kind of handicap.

I'll just ask you the simple question then. Do you think it's better to have a divided player base simply because of the difference in capability of KB/M to Controller?

TheYanger

I'll just ask you the simple question then. Do you think it's better to have a divided player base simply because of the difference in capability of KB/M to Controller?

Absolutely. I'm sure most people would also. When that hasn't happened in the past (Unreal on PS3 for example) console players have had a REALLY shit time. Anyone that didn't think so, I bet as soon as you told them "Hey, you can be better at the game than these guys, but they will always be able to do shit you won't and will have a big leg up" they wouldn't want it either. More likely some PC players that want to stomp on kids would say they do, but that kind of opinion shouldn't be relevant here, the disadvantaged should be the ones making the call and by and large that has proven very unpopular among them.

Zimbardo

the fact that EA don't put their games on Steam doesn't help matters.

you'd think that, by now, they'd throw in the towel with the Origin experiment. i'm sure they'd do better by being on Steam.

I called this and got laughed at

You definitely weren't alone. There's been so many polarizing titles in the last few years too. Going to be a lot of quick turnover on these games with smaller launch content and high cost season passes.

But that's the future IMO, publishers think games should cost $100+ dollars now and so they will release framework games and fill it out over a years time. Pretty much all these AAA titles are like high cost early access games now basically.

diamount

Banned

you'd think that, by now, they'd throw in the towel with the Origin experiment. i'm sure they'd do better by being on Steam.

No, the game is dropping numbers because it has the depth of a kiddie pool. Being on Steam wouldn't make much difference since I'm taking a guess that if they were catering the casual SW fan, they couldn't care about what platform it's on.

TheYanger

The thing that throws me off with it, isn't that Origin is bad (It's not, it's better than Steam in MANY ways), but that they know they're not gaining traction and they can still get you engaged the same way Ubisoft does: Let you buy it on Steam and ahve it launch Origin.

As much as people shit on Uplay too, their whole setup is very good at keeping me invested in their games. Actions Uplay Points and rewards all feel fun to get, and while I don't 'care' about them, I have at times considered playing games I wouldn't just to stockpile them. Shit works. I almost played Child of Light becaue it gives 600 Uplay points, by all accounts is super short, and I own it from GWG. then I remembered I hate that game.

Kevin

For me I didn't bother because the game is expensive, very little content and no real mod support. I also think a lot of gamers overlook Origin and want Steam support. I have an Origin account but I would buy more of their games if they were on Steam instead. Just my opinion.

Pretty happy with my PS4 version.

I bought it digital for half price when it got that Christmas discount, so still very close to release.

Played a good chunk and now it's my go-to shooter for some mindless shooter mp. Especially nice for talking with a buddy in party chat while teaming up in whatever mode we feel like.
Bonus for looking nice.

Also checking it out whenever they add some more free maps or big patch. Digital makes it perfect to just go in and out for half an hour or so. There's always enough players to play any of the modes, often you can even filter for a specific map.

Not thrilled about the paid DLC as I won't spend any additional money on the game but would love new settings and paid mp maps are stupid because they split up the userbase.

Starviper

Or maybe you should try it?

Listen, you have multiple currently playing PC people saying they find games in seconds.

The OP may not know that MM can be bugged, or that he can change MM regions etc.

Good to hear - Will likely get on that after i'm done with this project. :)

Absolutely. I'm sure most people would also. When that hasn't happened in the past (Unreal on PS3 for example) console players have had a REALLY shit time. Anyone that didn't think so, I bet as soon as you told them "Hey, you can be better at the game than these guys, but they will always be able to do shit you won't and will have a big leg up" they wouldn't want it either. More likely some PC players that want to stomp on kids would say they do, but that kind of opinion shouldn't be relevant here, the disadvantaged should be the ones making the call and by and large that has proven very unpopular among them.

Unreal on PS3 is also not a great example though. That game is a very traditional PC FPS game based around fast twitch shooting and constant fast movement. Games like CS:GO and Unreal or Quake are not what most people are playing on console. Nor what many PC players are playing. Those don't necessarily need cross play.

atr0cious

I just got it, it's awesome. Incredibly underrated game.
Go read the patch notes for the next patch coming to r6 Seige, and you'll see the difference between m&kb and a controller. They have specific balances for both the console and pc versions, especially in regard to how recoil on guns is handled. I play on pc with a steam controller and I still can't snap shots off like they can, and I'm able to lean while moving which regular controller binds don't allow. The fps shadowrun was designed specifically because of this issue, and the upcoming paragon is as well.

Well fuck someone gave me a code for the PC copy of Battlefront last month and I haven't even installed it.

Guess I missed that boat. Oh well.

Go read the patch notes for the next patch coming to r6 Seige, and you'll see the difference between m&kb and a controller. They have specific balances for both the console and pc versions, especially in regard to how recoil on guns is handled. I play on pc with a steam controller and I still can't snap shots off like they can, and I'm able to lean while moving which regular controller binds don't allow. The fps shadowrun was designed specifically because of this issue, and the upcoming paragon is as well.

Well as of right now it doesn't matter because the servers are so damn bad. I have open NAT as do my friends and we get kicked out of 9/10 games we join and can't even play Thunt at all. The Division has destroyed RS6's servers.

It's not dead, as in I can boot it up whenever I feel like and still find games quickly. At the same time however, I realize that the population would be much worse if you were playing at later hours, and I generally play when america is awake.

Grassy

I wasted $40 on buying this for PC. It looks and runs great on my system but I'm in Australia and haven't been able to get a ping of less than 200 and I cant find any other players most of the time.

My Origin account is a sad sight indeed. It only has Sim City, Battlefront & Battlefield 4 (which I got bundled with my gpu).

Even on launch day it was a pretty poor experience here in Australia. With all the spawn-camping and other balance issues right from the start, the game just wasn't fun. I got a refund after 5 hours or so.

Gamezone

Gold Member
EA Access saved me from buying this game. No way I was going to spend money on this game after having played it for 10 hours. So lacking in content, and the gameplay is just so boring.

This sucks for me because I really enjoyed this game on pc. The visuals are freaking incredible and the game plays really well. I'm a hard core battlefield player, yet I enjoyed the streamlined gameplay of this game.

Within a week of launch it became almost impossible to find a game for me. I try periodically and is the same deal each time. What a waste.

MiguelItUp

This sucks for me because I really enjoyed this game on pc. The visuals are freaking incredible and the game plays really well. I'm a hard core battlefield player, yet I enjoyed the streamlined gameplay of this game.

Within a week of launch it became almost impossible to find a game for me. I try periodically and is the same deal each time. What a waste.
I'd recommend keep trying. I've played almost every hour through the previous week and had no issues. Earliest was 12pm-1pm CST and latest was 4am CST. Everything I played was in-between those time frames and I never had a problem. Even mixed up the game types and amount of player searches.

prag16

Banned

This has never been my experience. I never have any trouble finding games almost immediately. What region are you in? Wonder if that could be a factor for some people. That and matchmaking bug(s) I guess.

ViolentP

This has never been my experience. I never have any trouble finding games almost immediately. What region are you in? Wonder if that could be a factor for some people. That and matchmaking bug(s) I guess.

Same. I pick up games fairly quick.

Meccs

Just bought the base game for 20 bucks on sale. 12 player modes are indeed dead, it puts me into lobbies with 3 other people. Depressing. The larger modes seem to have players though. Most people will probably play the DLC currently which adds to that. I'm really hesitant to by any DLC because of the low player base. They will probably get abandoned too when the next one comes out. What a shame, it's a nice game. I would by the first DLC just to see how the population is there and if I could get a month or two out of it but i'm not sure if I can then get a refund on both (base game and DLC).

I never understood why devs/publishers do not change their approach when a game seems to "fail" on a certain platform. Like Evolve or Battlefront on PC. They leave the price as it is, publish DLC as planed etc. without any attempt to draw new players in.

Top Bottom