• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Developing A Show Where A Black Cop Kills White Teenager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

I BET that it will be like those weird webcomics that there is a moment where that is constructed to perfectly that some dude will say something racist, people will complain about him and he will prove that he was right

Sober

If the team behind American Crime tackled something like this, it could be amazing. John Ridley does however cause more trust than these writers.
Well that is true but thinking optimistically I assume you write a script like this and they ask for the bible so they know exactly where the show is going means they have to actually plot a course and not play make-it-up-as-you-go-along, aka show up for real instead of half-assing it.

Like Minority Report.

OceanBlue

Sounds like an interesting premise to me. Optimistically, this could lead to a nuanced look at race relations and the relationship between the police and citizens. Hopefully, the show will deal with problems of racism in police encounters instead of promoting the idea that police violence has no racial elements to it.

Enco

Lmao at the people saying this is just a casual new show with no undertones.

Get real.

Edit: maybe I'm being too cynical. Who knows what their intentions are

Joni

Well that is true but thinking optimistically I assume you write a script like this and they ask for the bible so they know exactly where the show is going means they have to actually plot a course and not play make-it-up-as-you-go-along, aka show up for real instead of half-assing it.
The bible is quite common with no obligation to follow it, isn't it? The bible for Lost for instance is a work of fiction compared to what the show is.

Sober

The bible is quite common with no obligation to follow it, isn't it? The bible for Lost for instance is a work of fiction compared to what the show is.
Best guess because I know nothing, but from how I read the article, the script for the first episode they liked but for something hovering around these particular topics, I think they want to be assured they know what particular avenues, stories, etc., the show wants to go before moving ahead. For something that seems to be advertised as an 'event series', they probably want to see a rough roadmap at least.

I skimmed the Lost bible but because that show initially was very self-contained episodic a lot of those things are more proof of concept more than anything. I feel like quite a few things in there made it onto the show in some form or other.

I don't watch TV much but every time I turn it on there's always a show about white cops killing black teenagers, think it's called 'The News' or something like that. About time someone evened things out

marrec

Banned
Who is exactly outraged by the way? The Op described this as controversial and that's it, why is people characterizing the response to this as outrage when none is seen.

They need to have the proper strawman to position themselves against obviously.

Slayven

Who is exactly outraged by the way? The Op described this as controversial and that's it, why is people characterizing the response to this as outrage when none is seen.

who is all these outraged people? All I see is eye rolling and snark.

This will clearly be a brave and daring exploration of the issues of today. Bravo fox, someone needs to tell the white mans story. Such courage.

Cagey

Banned
Feel bad about all those white guys being shot by police.

Hold up.

You understand the problem in America is that black men are shot at a disproportionately higher rate than white men because of some grotesque racism on display from police officers, not that no white men are shot by the police or that the number is hilariously low, right?

akira28

I dunno, could be interesting. The fact they chose Tennessee should give you an idea of the direction they are going.

a lot of white people watching that "TV show where the black cop kills that white kid"?

People have been requesting the scenario so much that Fox made a TV show for it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is not the same wing of Fox though is it? I mean the idea in theory sounds a bit insensitive but Lolita sounds insensitive in theory too and that's fucking fantastic. Don't get me wrong it will probably - if it ever emerges - be terrible and feed the paranoia of embittered white old people but right now it is basically nothing.

You understand the problem in America is that black men are shot at a disproportionately higher rate than white men because of some grotesque racism on display from police officers, not that no white men are shot by the police or that the number is hilariously low, right?

Yes, that's what he meant.

Mr. X

I doubt it would be so forward to mock how white christians feel like they are being victims and losing their freedom.

akira28

People don't realize that Fox News has really nothing to do with what the regular Fox network puts on the air.

you think that until you stay watching until the local news comes on and you are immediately reminded of their cable news. Also Fox Network was still founded by Rupert Murdoch, and has always had a reputation for sleaze. Yes even when Roc was being aired. So they have some differences, but they're still attached to the same body.

Fox News might be a separate section run by Roger Ailes, but Fox network brought their philosophy to News, not vice versa.

BigDug13

you think that until you stay watching until the local news comes on and you are immediately reminded of their cable news. Also Fox Network was still founded by Rupert Murdoch, and has always had a reputation for sleaze. Yes even when Roc was being aired. So they have some differences, but they're still attached to the same body.

Maybe on your affiliate. That's going to be on a case by case basis. I've seen plenty of local Fox affiliates whose news is standard local news without Faux News slant.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It won't last a season. Everyone knows FOX mistreats its science fiction programming.

akira28

Maybe on your affiliate. That's going to be on a case by case basis. I've seen plenty of local Fox affiliates whose news is standard local news without Faux News slant.

heh. who's your affiliate. I've seen them go heavy, and I've seen them try to keep it light, and still fail. Might be a skew because I live in a liberal bastion. But I've watched this news channel for decades and it wasn't until recently that I've seen a news anchor deliver actual editorials in support of conservative views. A recent skew since Fox decided to make their broadcast philosophy more apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom