• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis - first trailer

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wild, will definitely watch it.

I can't place my finger on it, but somehow it looks like it's based on a novel even though I know it's not.

tommib

So anyone knows anything about the script? Is this about the fall of a kind of Roman/western empire? Shit looks spectacular but also grim as fuck.

Sophist

So anyone knows anything about the script? Is this about the fall of a kind of Roman/western empire? Shit looks spectacular but also grim as fuck.

An accident destroys a decaying New York City-like metropolis. Cesar Catilina (Adam Driver), an idealist architect with the power to control time, aims to rebuild the city as a sustainable utopia, but is opposed by corrupt Mayor Franklyn Cicero (Giancarlo Esposito), who remains committed to a regressive status quo. Torn between them is Franklyn's socialite daughter, Julia (Nathalie Emmanuel), who, tired of the influence she inherited, searches for her life's meaning.

from

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Looks like an allegory for the collapse of the "American Empire." New York is known as The Empire State, so the fall of what looks like bazzarro world New York is symbolically about the America falling. At least that is my no-caffeine-just-pulled-an-all-nighter brain is telling me.

Ownage

Tranny Shia as the main antagonist? He'll be the one to watch, I wonder.

This should be the plot to an epic video game. Maybe do something like FF7 meets Cyberpunk 2077 meets Blade Runner. I don't see it as Bioshock other than art deco.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
An accident destroys a decaying New York City-like metropolis. Cesar Catilina (Adam Driver), an idealist architect with the power to control time, aims to rebuild the city as a sustainable utopia, but is opposed by corrupt Mayor Franklyn Cicero (Giancarlo Esposito), who remains committed to a regressive status quo. Torn between them is Franklyn's socialite daughter, Julia (Nathalie Emmanuel), who, tired of the influence she inherited, searches for her life's meaning.
The names of the characters are a bit on the nose don't you think:

Catilina = Lucius Sergius Catilina
Cicero = Marcus Tullius Cicero
Julia & Cesar = Julius Caesar

Is this a university creative writing project?

Ownage

The names of the characters are a bit on the nose don't you think:

Catilina = Lucius Sergius Catilina
Cicero = Marcus Tullius Cicero
Julia & Cesar = Julius Caesar

Is this a university creative writing project?
Possibly created so that even dummies can pick up what he's putting down.

Old draft is on the Internet Archive. It's inspired by the Catilinarian Conspiracy. Adam Driver invents miraculous new material, wants to build utopian neighborhood in the middle of NY, Chicken Man is the corrupt mayor who opposes him, conspiracy and drama ensues. The tone is like The Fountainhead and Things to Come had a baby.

StueyDuck

Banned
It's gonna be good seeing some classic filmmaking class again that isn't just self felating Scorsese wank.

Hopefully this isn't like 12 hrs long or something

StueyDuck

Banned
130 minutes.

I can't stand late stage Scorsese. He was my favourite back in the day.
Oh no doubt he made classics and will be remembered for them.

But his latest shit that just drags on screaming for Oscar's is just unbearable. I didn't even finish killers of the flower moon, it was a bad movie with great acting.

I'm glad to hear it's just over 2 hrs.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Also for whatever reason I get late Kubrick/Eyes Wide Shut weirdness vibes. And similarly, it took Kubrick forever to make EWS (was putting things together since the late 60s right after 2001)

tommib

Also for whatever reason I get late Kubrick/Eyes Wide Shut weirdness vibes. And similarly, it took Kubrick forever to make EWS (was putting things together since the late 60s right after 2001)
Excellent point. I got EWS vibes as well. It's the all around decadence and high contrast with colour usage. This will be a wonderful joint. If it is a train wreck, it will be one of the decade's most enjoyable train wrecks to witness.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Excellent point. I got EWS vibes as well. It's the all around decadence and high contrast with colour usage. This will be a wonderful joint. If it is a train wreck, it will be one of the decade's most enjoyable train wrecks to witness.

Oh I cant wait. I cant stand Driver, but the rest of the cast? Dustin Hoffman wat Talia Shire wat John Voight wat

He's bringin out some legends. For that and the visuals/cinematography Im in 1000000%. Looks fuckin nuts.

tommib

Oh I cant wait. I cant stand Driver, but the rest of the cast? Dustin Hoffman wat Talia Shire wat John Voight wat

He's bringin out some legends. For that and the visuals/cinematography Im in 1000000%. Looks fuckin nuts.

Not the biggest fan of Driver as well. He was ok playing the bus driver on that Jarmusch film and that's kind of it.

As the gay man that I am, I have to congratulate him on having a really nice back and shoulders though.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not the biggest fan of Driver as well. He was ok playing the bus driver on that Jarmusch film and that's kind of it.

As the gay man that I am, I have to congratulate him on having a really nice back and shoulders though.

Hey whatever does it for you bro. He is a weird looking dude for sure. I think if I wasnt introduced to him via Star Wars I might have a different opinion lol

Fucking Disney really does ruin everything.

Hugare

I dont mind it being "artsy", at all.

But the script is so ... cringe. I cant quite put my finger on it, but sounds like someone that wants to make a film about a metaphor in the most obvious way possible.

Characters seem one note: there's the hero, the evil vilain's daughter that falls in love with the hero, the evil vilain that's just evil 'cause he's evil ... Meh

SJRB

Gold Member
Pretty sure people were talking shit about Apocalypse Now too when that first came out and look where we are now. It's considered an all-time classic and a pinnacle of moviemaking.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

going to be a lot of talk about this film.

GNkHtnyWkAAKp4O

clarky

Banned

from
Well that's just put me off completely. Sound's right up its own arse.

Ownage

I'll watch Emmanuel get freaky. Show me moar.

going to be a lot of talk about this film.

Post the entire thing next time.

Co-producer's response to the on-set behavior “I have known and worked with Francis and his family for over 35 years. As one of the first assistant directors and an executive producer on his new epic, Megalopolis, I helped oversee and advise the production and ran the second unit. Francis successfully produced and directed an enormous independent film, making all the difficult decisions to ensure it was delivered on time and on budget, while remaining true to his creative vision. There were two days when we shot a celebratory Studio 54-esque club scene where Francis walked around the set to establish the spirit of the scene by giving kind hugs and kisses on the cheek to the cast and background players. It was his way to help inspire and establish the club atmosphere, which was so important to the film. I was never aware of any complaints of harassment or ill behaviour during the course of the project"

Lets not jump to conclusions here. I thought we were better than the other forum.

Last edited:

Mr1999

Gold Member
ngl, I don't know where this film will go having watched that, could be great or really bad, which I don't mind either. I loved Bram Stokers Dracula, one of my favorites. Megalopolis reminds me of the movie Immortal Ad Vitam from 2004 at times. I get the same wtf feeling, although I ended up liking that movie. I dig the art style, hopefully its great.

Last edited:

Toons

Trailer is beautiful but I can't make heads or tails of anything being shown.

Interested to see how it turns out. The eventually making if documentary is guaranteed to be a banger tho

Top Bottom