• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

Prezhulio

LocoMrPollock said:
Or, if you all are really concerned. Then just call your Bank/CC company and tell them your card has been compromised online and you need a new one. Takes like 15 minutes.

except some people have different things (cell phone, internet, water etc.) billed to that number, and filling out the paperwork/forms to change to a number would take much more than 15 minutes. i'll mail them the cancelation thing (even though it's quite silly), but i'll do that once i have confirmation that they aren't just going to ignore it and sucker the money out of you anyways, as they aren't giving great responses to our questions yet.

So wait, from what I understand, if the information on an Order looks like this:

Payment:
Method: Credit card
Card Number:
------------

It means they don't know what my credit card number is? Sweet jesus thank you if that's true.

LocoMrPollock said:
Dude, why don't you worry about it when and if, they actually try to charge you for something.

Or, if you all are really concerned. Then just call your Bank/CC company and tell them your card has been compromised online and you need a new one. Takes like 15 minutes.

Instead you all are acting ridiculous and wasting your time.
Wasting time is what the internet is for, my friend. :D

border

Nutter said:
Well what about the people who signed up and never got to use any discounts, but now just want out?
Screaming and going berserk over a $3 expense almost always kinda makes you look like a crank. If you feel you've been wronged that's fine -- I'm just saying you won't help your cause by being hyper-dramatic about it. Express a concern to people that can get a response from the ECA (celebrities, media) but don't pretend like this is some vast conspiracy of identity thieves or whatever.

Prezhulio said:
except some people have different things (cell phone, internet, water etc.) billed to that number, and filling out the paperwork/forms to change to a number would take much more than 15 minutes.

My bank allows me to do all that online in less than 5 minutes.

LocoMrPollock said:
Dude, why don't you worry about it when and if, they actually try to charge you for something.

Instead you all are acting ridiculous and wasting your time.

I could do that, but then I would have to update my autopay information for my gym, my iPass, my car insurance, my phone bill, Amazon, etc. Something will always get dicked up in the process.

But hey, since you're not worried about a seemingly unsavory source having your CC info, like I said, e-mail it to me, and I'll keep it around for a year. If you send me a written letter between now and this time next year, I'll delete the information. If not, I'll charge $20 to a lap dance at my favorite gentleman's club.

P.S. Don't forget to PM me the 3 digit number on the back of your card.

Prezhulio

LocoMrPollock said:
My bank allows me to do all that online in less than 5 minutes.

wasn't talking about the bank, i was talking about updating all your stuff that was linked to the OLD number. and you have to wait for the card in the mail, so not exactly 5 minutes...

RedNumberFive said:
But hey, since you're not worried about a seemingly unsavory source having your CC info, like I said, e-mail it to me, and I'll keep it around for a year. If you send me a written between now and this time next year, I'll delete the information. If not, I'll charge $20 to a lap dance at my favorite gentleman's club.

:lol :lol :lol

slit

Guys, I'm sorry I'm a little confused about this since I've been away from the forums for a while and this is the first I've heard about these problems. I signed up for this a couple of months ago and never even used any of the codes yet. Is the only problem that you cant cancel when membership renewal comes up? Cause I can easily cancel my card BUT If there is some kind of fraud going on I'll need to deal with it now.

slit said:
Guys, I'm sorry I'm a little confused about this since I've been away from the forums for a while and this is the first I've heard about these problems. I signed up for this a couple of months ago and never even used any of the codes yet. Is the only problem that you cant cancel when membership renewal comes up? Cause I can easily cancel my card BUT If there is some kind of fraud going on I'll need to deal with it now.

there is no fraud (that we know of), only a bit of shady operating where they are making it extremely difficult to cancel, and lying about the reason.

slit

elrechazao said:
there is no fraud (that we know of), only a bit of shady operating where they are making it extremely difficult to cancel, and lying about the reason.

Oh ok, thanks for giving me the heads up.

MrPliskin

Banned
RedNumberFive said:
If the ECA is even remotely involved in the introduction of "wagon wheel cases", then they are more evil than we thought.

They probably got Microsoft to endorse a contract stating they would try wagon wheel cases for a limited run. Microsoft, under the impression they could cancel at any time, willingly accepted this proposal.

Microsoft has since been sending letters via USPS to the ECA to cancel their partnership and agreement to use Wagon Wheel Cases. We are doomed.

RedNumberFive said:
I could do that, but then I would have to update my autopay information for my gym, my iPass, my car insurance, my phone bill, Amazon, etc. Something will always get dicked up in the process.

Well for me, doing that is actually easier and less trouble than trying to deal with the ECA and not even knowing that they will destroy your information. I mean if they are such a scam based company as you say, what guarantee do you really have.

So suck it up.

But hey, since you're not worried about a seemingly unsavory source having your CC info, like I said, e-mail it to me, and I'll keep it around for a year. If you send me a written letter between now and this time next year, I'll delete the information. If not, I'll charge $20 to a lap dance at my favorite gentleman's club.

Hilarious.

wasn't talking about the bank, i was talking about updating all your stuff that was linked to the OLD number. and you have to wait for the card in the mail, so not exactly 5 minutes...

That's actually not as big a hassle as you think. The monthly stuff is pretty easy, especially if you pay online through your bank. And other places will contact you if they can't charge your card and you can update it as needed.

And they do give you a new, sometimes temp card number that you can use right away while you're waiting.

LocoMrPollock said:
Well for me, doing that is actually easier and less trouble than trying to deal with the ECA and not even knowing that they will destroy your information. I mean if they are such a scam based company as you say, what guarantee do you really have.

So suck it up.

Hilarious.

That's actually not as big a hassle as you think. The monthly stuff is pretty easy, especially if you pay online through your bank. And other places will contact you if they can't charge your card and you can update it as needed.

And they do give you a new, sometimes temp card number that you can use right away while you're waiting.

wow, how convenient. that's much easier than sending a couple of emails trying to get one company to simply not auto renew my credit card.

rollingeyes.gif

border

I'm kinda astonished that after 12-13 years of the Internet, there are still people greedy or ignorant enough to give their credit card number in exchange for something that is "Free".

But I guess there's a new generation of internet users and everybody has to learn this lesson sometime and someplace. Kinda like those "10 CDs for a Penny" music clubs that everyone got burned on as a teenager.

LocoMrPollock said:
Hilarious.

Hey I'm no Margret Cho. The offer still stands though. You seem to be pretty indifferent to identity theft and your financial well being, so please send me your info. Feel free to cancel your card and get a new one at your convenience.

angelfly

Well I just sent an angry email to every address on the contact page in hope of getting my account canceled and being banned from signing up in the future. It's a shame that this is what you have to do to be guaranteed your account is canceled.

border said:
I'm kinda astonished that after 12-13 years of the Internet, there are still people greedy or ignorant enough to give their credit card number in exchange for something that is "Free".

But I guess there's a new generation of internet users and everybody has to learn this lesson sometime and someplace. Kinda like those "10 CDs for a Penny" music clubs that everyone got burned on as a teenager.
Actually this is a little different. It's a non-profit, consumer rights organization, focusing on something we all care about (video games). In fact I may have joined even if it wasn't free, for the representation (and the Amazon discount would have been nice too).

Anyway it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the decisions of others. :lol

Himajin

Hal took some clay from the ground and made the shape of a non-profit organization. Then Hal breathed gently into the shape. The organization gave gamers a collective voice to communicate their concerns. Hal called it the ECA.

Hal made a pretty mediocre website for it to live on. But the website, called www.theeca.com, was full of many wonderful things. Discounts were found everywhere. Users sang in the forums, comments flowed through the e-mail, and newbies roamed across the FAQ.

Hal told the users that it was their job to take care of their new website. Hal blessed them, saying, "All these discounts are for you. Help yourself to anything you like. But never abuse the system, as the day you do, they will disappear forever."

One day, a user was shopping on Amazon when she heard a silky voice on her Ventrilo server.

"Has the ECA told you about the discounts you are entitled to as a member?" the voice asked softly. The user checked the channel and saw it was Lickwid_SnakeXX talking to her.

"The ECA has told us we can use the discounts as long as we don't abuse them" the user said to Snake.

"But have you heard that you can stack the Amazon discount codes to get 20%-30% off, and maybe more!?" I hardly think such a lovely discount would do any harm," Lickwid_SnakeXX lied.

The user calculated the discounted prices and thought how tasty they looked. She believed Snake's lie and redid all her preorders.

She felt a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. She fidgeted and wondered what was wrong with her. Suddenly she realized that she was feeling guilty.

But the user hurriedly reported the exploit to friends on another forum anyway. Together they racked up thousands of dollars of purchases, knowing full well it was too good to be true. Soon the ECA was full of strangers with dollar signs in their eyes.

Then one day the exploitable discount disappeared completely. The new users wanted off the ship right away, but the ECA had grown so large they could not handle the sea of cancellations with the substandard account system in place.

Hal was sad that the users had screwed him and the ECA members over, but realized he was foolish to think that the average gamer would show any restraint. He told them they would have to send in a snail mail to leave the ECA. "From now on you'll have to take it up with your CC company if you can't afford a stamp." The ECA had become a darker place than before, and the true believers in the mission it strived for were left to ride the storm alone.

WinFonda

Well I sent consumerist an e-mail and I'll keep fighting the good fight until this whole matter is resolved. Twittering the game industry guys associated with their website is the next step: if anyone can put pressure on them to change their ways its probably those guys.

donny2112

Isn't changing the expiration date entered into the system in order to continue charging the card an illegal act of fraud?

This is very bad...

hitmon

Anybody else have trouble getting into their ECA account? I even tried to recover the password and it says my email doesn't exist.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
elrechazao said:
This is what mine says, and I never canceled. It has been confirmed that the membership is auto-renewing. Based on the fact that they have said the cancellation button should have never existed, it is safe to assume based on all of this that it did not in fact work and that you are in the same boat as those of us who did not cancel using the button when it was available.
I find this to be hilarious, in a Dilberty kind of way.

Slavik81

This does sound pretty troubling. Perhaps those being screwed over by the ECA should join the Entertainment Consumers Association. I hear that this sort of thing is their specialty.

hitmon said:
Anybody else have trouble getting into their ECA account? I even tried to recover the password and it says my email doesn't exist.

Little Green Yoda said:
Don't believe it. I had the same problem. I searched through my inbox to find my activation email and reclicked the validation link to change my password. Account still active.

Himajin

FWIW, it's certainly fucked up that you can't cancel membership online, and the ECA was stupid to think that appealing to greed would gain them long-term members who would support the cause, but the pitchforks that were being brandished on this thread made me want to chip in with a different perspective.

RedNumberFive said:
Hey I'm no Margret Cho. The offer still stands though. You seem to be pretty indifferent to identity theft and your financial well being, so please send me your info. Feel free to cancel your card and get a new one at your convenience.

Still hilarious.

Prezhulio said:
hey why don't i have running water anymore?

Dude, come one.

A Twisty Fluken said:
So there really is nothing that GAF can't drum up a complete knob to defend, is there?

I'm not defending The ECA, they had my info too. But I've already taken care of the problem and its been dealt with. Somehow, I survived the ordeal unscathed.

Dali

I just took a look at some of the threads on the ECA forums.

tha_con, ya better watch out. All your off topic requests to get your account deactivated might get you banned.

WinFonda

Slavik81 said:
This does sound pretty troubling. Perhaps those being screwed over by the ECA should complain to the Entertainment Consumers Association. I hear that this sort of thing is their specialty.
:lol The sad irony of it all. Screw these guys and their botched mission statement.

MrPliskin

Banned
Dali said:
I just took a look at some of the threads on the ECA forums.

tha_con, ya better watch out. All your off topic requests to get your account deactivated might get you banned.

I don't think that's foreign territory for him :lol If I remember right, he's perm'd here on GAF, lol.

border

RedNumberFive said:
You seem to be pretty indifferent to identity theft and your financial well being, so please send me your info.
One might make the argument that if you gave your credit card information to an organization with so little history and such a janky-ass website, then you were at one time pretty indifferent to the prospect of identity theft (or at least blinded by a meager discount). I will give you 10% off all your EBGames purchases if you send LocoMrPollock your credit card number.*

*Terms and conditions subject to change

Neuromancer said:
Anyway it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the decisions of others.
Maybe it's harsh, I guess I was just under the impression that most people (particularly savvy game forum-types) knew to back away when some "Free" offer suddenly requires a credit card. Yes, they claim to be a non-profit....but there's plenty of people claiming to be Nigerian royalty out there as well.

hitmon

Ok, so their password recovery is a little broken.. I had to use my username instead of my email to get an email about password recovery. After logging in and attempting to access the forums, it logs me out.. I try to log in and it says I failed to login 6 out of 5 attempts...

gkryhewy

border said:
Maybe it's harsh, I guess I was just under the impression that most people (particularly savvy game forum-types) knew to back away when some "Free" offer suddenly requires a credit card. Yes, they claim to be a non-profit....but there's plenty of people claiming to be Nigerian royalty out there as well.

There are lots of people, including me, who signed up for this service BEFORE it was free. They were/are legit enough to have had a significant financial relationship with Amazon.

Prezhulio

LocoMrPollock said:
Dude, come one.

obviously i'm not that ill informed that i'd ever take your advice to let the company contact me with the cancelled credit info, i'm just saying it would be much easier if they let me cancel my account (even if it is by mail, i just don't trust them to process my request via mail at this moment because of how they are responding).

how'd you "resolve" your info? did you cancel the card?

Link Man

Banned
ECA.png

border said:
One might make the argument that if you gave your credit card information to an organization with so little history and such a janky-ass website, then you were at one time pretty indifferent to the prospect of identity theft (or at least blinded by a meager discount). I will give you 10% off all your EBGames purchases if you send LocoMrPollock your credit card number.*

*Terms and conditions subject to change

This was and remains a well established organization with a large preexisting membership prior to all of this happening. You can try to retcon all you want, but it's not very persuasive.

gkrykewy said:
There are lots of people, including me, who signed up for this service BEFORE it was free. They were/are legit enough to have had a significant financial relationship with Amazon.

what he said

jrricky

Banned
:lol at the thread title and the people who got suckered into this. I wanted to join but I had second thoughts, so I chose not do it.:lol Damn!!!

SlickVic

Yep got owned on this as well. I feel stupid.

Glad you guys are taking action with Consumerist and here's hoping it'll do something. Fortunately the card I used isn't used to pay any bills so it won't be much of a hassle for me to get Chase to issue a new card if they continue to be douches about this.

Top Bottom