• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Fighters Receives Brand New PEGI Rating For PC

Bullet Club

Freedom Fighters Receives Brand New PEGI Rating For PC

O2UyGuV.jpg

Freedom Fighters may be fighting its way back onto the scene if a new PEGI rating is to be believed.

Rereleases are becoming more and more common these days as publishers look to cash in on their previously released titles. Over the last month alone we’ve had remasters/rereleases of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and three different Super Mario titles. Alongside that, we’ve also received more details about Bluepoint’s remake of Demon’s Souls and more reports on the heavily rumoured Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered collection.

Now, if a new PEGI rating is to be believed, we may also be getting a rerelease of a cult classic from the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era, Freedom Fighters. The new rating was noticed by ResetEra user Dex3108 and was posted on the forums over there. The rating specifically lists a PC version, that’s due for release on September 21 (today), although that could just be a placeholder.

4iSVEqJ.png

What’s interesting about this new rating is that the publisher listed by PEGI has changed. Initially, Freedom Fighters was developed by IO Interactive and published by EA, however, this new listing suggests that if the game is to be rereleased, it will in fact be published by IO Interactive themselves. The developers, who were previously part of Square Enix, are currently working on Hitman 3, a game that’s due for release on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, Stadia and PC next year.

Freedom Fighters was originally released back in 2003 and is a third-person shooter set in an alternative version of New York. It sees players take control of their squad, fighting invading Soviet Forces. Players can build up their charisma throughout the game and recruit additional forces to their squad. The game came out to solid reviews, with the original sitting between 80-83% on Metacritic on the various platforms, and quickly established its cult status.

While nothing official has come from IO Interactive themselves, this is an interesting development. Here’s hoping that if it’s true, we get a console release alongside the PC version.

Source: Dualshockers

T-Cake

Problem I have is that I absolutely loved the game back on Xbox when it came out. But I really don't think it would hold up today if it was just a basic graphical overhaul. But then it has been many years since I last played it...

T-Cake

Sounds crap then. Does it even have 16:9 support? And certainly no Xbox controller support. Hopefully it will get a re-release on XBox too.

Last edited:
Awesome, I can finally delete that pirated copy I have (it was the ONLY way to play it unless you somehow find a physical copy).

– We’ve teamed up with legendary composer Jesper Kyd, to offer the full Official Freedom Fighters soundtrack. You’ll get 16 tracks from the game in both MP3 and FLAC formats. The soundtrack also includes 2 bonus tracks that were never included in the game.
Okay... so IO is still in contact with Kyd... but they won't hire him again for Hitman 3... grrrr

YCoCg

Okay... so IO is still in contact with Kyd... but they won't hire him again for Hitman 3... grrrr
Jesper is a bit ....weird in what he accepts, he went through a phase of rejecting certain projects cause he said he was getting franchise burnout. But seeing as he's agreed to come back to Assassin's Creed then hopefully IOI can offer him a cameo to get some tracks in Hitman 3.

Jesper is a bit ....weird in what he accepts, he went through a phase of rejecting certain projects cause he said he was getting franchise burnout. But seeing as he's agreed to come back to Assassin's Creed then hopefully IOI can offer him a cameo to get some tracks in Hitman 3.

The best thing about Borderlands 3 was him and McCann's doing the soundtrack. Both legends.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Mechanically, this is the most bog standard western-developed game from that era. It is painfully mediocre.

Last edited:
I remember getting this game cause my mom grabbed it from the bargain bin....we were mad at first, but then fell in love with it.

Nowhere near a perfect game, but shit it was fun.

Portman

Thanks for the heads up on this! I've always been meaning to play this game ever since hearing the sample music files from Jesper Kyd's website back then. Heck that one tune (the fight for freedom or something like that) from the samples has been stuck in my head on and off since then.

I think I have the game on disc that I got from a co-worker around but never got around to installing and playing it. I grabbed it last night from GOG so it'll be neat to finally get to play it and have the soundtrack and goodies with it as a bonus.

Digity

For anyone that is playing this in 1440p. Does it seem like the aiming is off? Lining up shots but they seem to go everywhere but where the reticle is.

Top Bottom