• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN&OUT

Banned
untitled-5b4ug1.gif

BEST POST ON THE TREAD !!!

So funny and fitting at the same time.

They going to end up even worst for Eurogamer if this not true .
Funny thing is if the did not put they can use back 1 GB extra we would know it's BS since the The Witness uses 5 GB already .

Melchiah

Admit it, eurogamer had u guys shook as hell tho :lol

Nah, at worst I thought the Twitter comments could have implied to a smaller amount of consoles ready for launch due to the availability issues with the new type of GDDR5 memory. However, I decided to leave the wild speculations to others, and not post on the thread until everything is cleared up. A decision some fellow Gaffers should have chosen as well, instead of succumbing to the herd mentality, and letting their imagination/bias run wild.

So, 5.5GB of RAM for games brought to you by the "PS4 records 7 minutes of gameplay" guys. It's like there's a express FUD pipeline between Redmond and Leadbetter these days.

Don't worry guys, this post is about the PS3.

Code:
http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/digitalfoundry-[b]ps3[/b]-system-software-memory_1

Code:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-[b]ps3[/b]-system-software-memory

http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory_1
Eurogamer headline said:
A PlayStation 4 dá até 5.5GB de RAM aos programadores de jogos
Google translate said:
The PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers
Some more from the article, via Google translate:

Eurogamer.pt via google translate said:
The PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of GDDR5 its 8GB memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current documentation PS4 shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed source in the studio. However, other sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" can be claimed of booking OS, based on availability.

Sony's internal documents say 4.5GB is the base amount of memory available for game developers guaranteed (notice the memory usage in the demo Killzone: Shadow Fall) and probably what most of the launch games will use. However, other sources close to Sony indicate that programmers can borrow up to 1GB of additional "flexible memory" and use it to improve elements of the game - but only if the OS background to be able to lend. They told us that this is not trivial to incorporate, and can even be initially only internal studios seek their usage.

The current development kits PS4 has a "Save Mode for Memory Game" in the settings that you have two options: normal and large. The normal mode confirms that the memory 4.5GB are usable for gaming applications. The big way that increases considerably to 5.25GB, but the documents are clear in that the extra RAM here is only available for application development, presumably to accommodate data debug. As we know, the gig extra flexible memory seems to work in addition to these concessions.

The news that the OS reserves the PS4 is on the same level as the equivalent of Xbox 3GB One will surely surprise many, especially given that previous documents from Sony who escaped just spoke 512MB allocated to programs in the system - although this information reassemble the era in which the new PlayStation would be launched with only 4GB of memory.

Should this be a new thread? I'm not sure what to believe but I don't think it's too out there, I mean, the OS has got to live somewhere.

BadHand

If this is the cost of a superfast OS while multitasking then so be it. Trying to access XMB while playing a game is a real grind.

Looking forward to Sony's response though.

So, the original configuration with 4GB of total memory would have had only 0.5GB of usable memory for games? Sounds plausible.

Well, that's why they decided to target Indie games then. It was going to be an indies-only platform.

:p I'm kidding in case we're far beyond detecting sarcasm at this point.

Wait, then what the hell were they planning on doing with the original number of just 4GB then? The OS must have had a major overwork to put in all of the app suspension features and stuff like X180 or something because I can't imagine they were ever intending to give devs only 512MB of RAM, haha.

Odrion

Banned
Wait, then what the hell were they planning on doing with the original number of just 4GB then? The OS must have had a major overwork to put in all of the app suspension features and stuff like X180 or something because I can't imagine they were ever intending to give devs only 500MB of RAM, haha.
The news that the PS4's OS reservation is in the same ballpark as Xbox One's equivalent 3GB allocation is sure to surprise many, especially bearing in mind that previously leaked Sony docs have only spoken of a 512MB allocation for the system software - though this information hails from the era where the new PlayStation was slated to ship with only 4GB of memory.
So basically with the extra 4gigs came a much more flexible OS.

SMZC

If this is the cost of a superfast OS while multitasking then so be it. Trying to access XMB while playing a game is a real grind.

Looking forward to Sony's response though.

Fuck this shit. I'm not buying a console to use an operating system, I'm buying it to play games. Console operating systems should strive for minimalism first and foremost.

Dlacy13g

Now we know why Sony wanted to be able to post a comment/response. This is pretty huge... PS4 adavantage is not so apparent in light of this.

madmackem

Seems about right given super fast os etc, it was always going to be more than the rumoured gig given we have seen how badly wii u os runs with a gig. So both have around the same for gaming, I guess that's the price we have to pay for tv tv tv and fast instant os.

Fuck this shit. I'm not buying a console to use an operating system, I'm buying it to play games. Console operating systems should strive for minimalism first and foremost.

Indeed. The OS should be embedded and running in its own pool of resources and not fighting for control of everything else on the system.

Wow, this is huge for me. Really puts the two machines on par for gaming power. Now I may really have to decide wether or not kinect will be worth the bump in price.

acm2000

So, the original configuration with 4GB of total memory would have had only 0.5GB of usable memory for games? Sounds plausible.

lol it doesnt work like that, if this is true, it will just be sony using extra space for the sake of using extra space

both XO and PS4 will free up more ram through their lifetimes

Melchiah

lol it doesnt work like that, if this is true, it will just be sony using extra space for the sake of using extra space

both XO and PS4 will free up more ram through their lifetimes

That's entirely possible, as they did the same with the PS3, but I find the amount of memory reserved hard to believe, as it's 7x greater than the original leaks suggested. We'll have to wait if/when Sony comments on this. I personally take Leadbetter's words with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Corto

So the reason for the memory bump is because the OS was too huge? lol

The Eurogamer article hints the exact opposite. The memory bump enabled a bigger OS with more parallel features running in the background while we play. This can fuel both camps of the war. And Sony and Microsoft can with time and optimization decrease the OS demands and gain more memory for games going forward in the life cycle.

BadHand

Indeed. The OS should be embedded and running in its own pool of resources and not fighting for control of everything else on the system.

I agree, but its semantics. They could have quite easily come out and said it 5gb and 3gb OS or something... but 8gb GDRR5 sounds so much cooler and they were trying to blow away the competition.

All those addition features that were announced don't run themselves and I would rather a stable system that isn't starved of resources than extra unspent RAM that many developers won't need, particularly in the early stages of development.

I personally don't care for the share features, but a fast interface/multitasking is important to me. and of course it would be great to have 8gb of GDRR5 RAM for games plus extra for OS... Well we'll have to see... I'm not panic until Sony release the info.

Limit

Allocating upwards of 2.5 gigs of RAM just to OS sounds bloated. In my Windows 8 laptop with multiple firefox tabs open and in which one is running an html video + itunes running in background + Word 2013 running altogether takes up 2.4 gigs of RAM. This is not accounting for general background software like skydrive, sound blaster, vuze, and all those windows 8 metro apps taking up RAM. I am failing to envision a scenario where someone will be multitasking to this degree on PS4 for which 2.5 gigs of RAM is needed. Are they reserving a gig of OS ram for some future hardware peripherals?

Corto

Allocating upwards of 2.5 gigs of RAM just to OS sounds bloated. In my Windows 8 laptop with multiple firefox tabs open and in which one is running an html video + itunes running in background + Word 2013 running altogether takes up 2.4 gigs of RAM. This is not accounting for general background software like skydrive, sound blaster, vuze, and all those windows 8 metro apps taking up RAM. I am failing to envision a scenario where someone will be multitasking to this degree on PS4 for which 2.5 gigs of RAM is needed. Are they reserving a gig of OS ram for some future hardware peripherals?

These are devices with a longer expected life cycle duration than an average PC. They are accounting for that. Even with the expected resource optimization the OS(es) memory footprint should be higher than a current PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom