• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

I really need to not talk so much, but one last thing. The RAM on Xbox One requires developers to jump through an extra hoop to take advantage of it. It adds an additional layer of complexity and has disadvantages (I'm not a programmer, don't ask me).

When year two or three of console life cycle is in check; the differences between these units will be glaringly obvious. Do not look to launch day to help you uncover hidden potential in either machine.

I haven't got a clue about the hardware/software differences between the systems, and what that will mean for performance, but that last sentence can't be states enough. Launch games are still going to end up being "launch" games like every other gen. All of them developed without full knowledge of the hardware and none achieving near the full potential of the console.

jWILL253

Banned
So, is this officially confirmed, or no? Because the original article doesn't make any sort of sense.

How does a console OS balloon by that much? Have any of GAF's insiders confirmed it?

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know why but every time I read this thread seems like a new fake attempt from Leadbetter.

That's can be true after all but that is my feeling... BULLSHIT.

The way people are acting in this thread is crazy. Do you play RAM? Jeez. This is OD. So what if 3.5gb is reserved for the OS? Have any devs said 4.5gb is not enough? Have you seen a disadvantage of the memory reservation? Have people even used the console to make judgement about it? This reaction is crazy and hinges on borderline illiteracy. You play video games not RAM! If the games are good then why bother about the hardware?

Yawnier

Banned
Halo fan back in 2011. I was a big Halo fan in 2011 as well, despite being disappointed with Reach's multiplayer.

Got all giggly when Halo 4 was announced.

No longer a diehard fan. Enjoy the campaigns. But yeah, enjoying Halo =/= liking Microsoft.

I loved Halo until Halo 4, and now I don't really care about it or MS. Only reason I still have this avatar is because it's what people recognize me by.

Hmmm yeah, I didn't realize that there were this many Halo fans pissed off at the direction the series went, I'm assuming.

Durante

But it takes time to respond to changes, if it takes Sony a year to figure out if they can free up more memory from the OS, the it'll take another 12-18 months for games to adapt. So you're already 2+ years down the road.
Yeah, but no multiplatform titles would have made any real use of a large memory advantage anyway. Reserving just 1 GB, like some people want, would be a mistake and may render them incapable of competing with some really popular OS feature (like party chat this gen).

Dr. Kaos

Banned
The word was 512MB->1GB for the OS but I was certain Sony would use 2GB out of 8 once I heard MS was using an enormous 3GB.

2 cores out of 8 are used for the OS.
2 GB out of 8 should be used for the OS.

Ratios should be the same, I say. The same! It's just more elegant that way ;)

As others said, Sony must've figured out no dev is going to use more than 4.5GB for the first year or 2 and they want to spend their current OS development time on features instead of optimizations (so they will look good compared to Microsoft's Xbone) then steadily drop the size of the OS until it hits 2GB.

The way people are acting in this thread is crazy. Do you play RAM? Jeez. This is OD. So what if 3.5gb is reserved for the OS? Have any devs said 4.5gb is not enough? Have you seen a disadvantage of the memory reservation? Have people even used the console to make judgement about it? This reaction is crazy and hinges on borderline illiteracy. You play video games not RAM! If the games are good then why bother about the hardware?

0hUHS.gif

Socky

I really need to not talk so much, but one last thing. The RAM on Xbox One requires developers to jump through an extra hoop to take advantage of it. It adds an additional layer of complexity and has disadvantages (I'm not a programmer, don't ask me).

When year two or three of console life cycle is in check; the differences between these units will be glaringly obvious. Do not look to launch day to help you uncover hidden potential in either machine.

...especially when none of the launch games will have been designed to take advantage of '8GB' (or rather 8 minus the OS reserve) and no subsequent games in production will be aiming for that either.

kinggroin

Banned
Just caught up.

Maaaan this is bad news for PlayStation. So I guess the Xbox One is more powerful now right?

Oh snap! I bet that's why Titanfall isnt on it. They were waiting to see if the specs were finalized and 1080p.

Say good bye to multiplats

This was to be expect with games being made on non final devs kits and cross gen games it would take a year plus to see what these system can do .
Still i thinking that PS4 will be around 2GB for OS when every thing done .

brandnew

Just caught up.

Maaaan this is bad news for PlayStation. So I guess the Xbox One is more powerful now right?

Oh snap! I bet that's why Titanfall isnt on it. They were waiting to see if the specs were finalized and 1080p.

Do more catching up. They're looking to be about equal.

Gonna edit this to stop anymore replies: I meant in terms of RAM allocation to OS.

Facism

so basically the thread is in the same place it was when it started? Lots of stress and excitement about nothing?

Not seeing an issue with the RAM allocations. It's sensible and logical.

R3TRODYCE

Just caught up.

Lol, this thread man.

Saty

But why? Devs already knew it obviously. Why tell it to the public? Who really cares about the allocation of fucking RAM? No one besides enthusiastic gamers on this and other gaming boards. I don't like it either, but I have to ask myself why does it matter if all the devs are happy and knew about this before.

Which are exactly the people who are most likely to get your system on launch; which are exactly the people who parroted the '8 GB GDDR5' and the presumably 7GB for devs as a swaying reason to get the PS4.

Sony was happy to let that go on and not correct or divulge any further details about the allocation because it suited their image as being the gamer's choice and all that. And their silence on that front is also why now this news is met strongly by people. It would have been much less of a 'big deal' if Sony detailed the allocation X weeks after the console announcement.

Raist

Banned
Just caught up.

Devs are probably switching to WiiU now. I mean just look at Activision. Sony had a good run.

Just caught up.

Try catching up a couple more times.

Just caught up.

I honestly can't tell right now if some people are just being ignorant or joking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, but no multiplatform titles would have made any real use of a large memory advantage anyway. Reserving just 1 GB, like some people want, would be a mistake and may render them incapable of competing with some really popular OS feature (like party chat this gen).

I see this being used as an example, but the amounts of ram we are talking about are *huge* in comparison to PS3/360 where a few meg either way was important. We're talking about gigabytes of ram. What background feature could possibly need that?

If there is a foreground app that needs more, maybe a 3DS approach where some apps require you to end your gaming session could be done?

But it takes time to respond to changes, if it takes Sony a year to figure out if they can free up more memory from the OS, the it'll take another 12-18 months for games to adapt. So you're already 2+ years down the road.
The games don't need to adapt, because no game needs so much RAM right now. Devs have said they really want to use all the RAM, but struggle to even fill 4 GB of it.

When the time comes that devs need more RAM, Sony will be ready to give it to them. This will be late 2014 at the earliest.

amr

Banned
Just caught up.

Really?

Doesn't... sound like you're caught up.

kinggroin

Banned
Do more catching up. They're looking to be about equal.

Ps4 has the same 1080p Shaders? Doesn't Titanfall require at least that much memory to make those shaders fit?

If it comes to Sony it will provably be sacrificed to only 60fps at 720p. That's ok, but I'll stick with the One imo

Zornack

Which are exactly the people who are most likely to get your system on launch; which are exactly the people who parroted the '8 GB GDDR5' and the presumably 7GB for devs as a swaying reason to get the PS4.

Sony was happy to let that go on and not correct or divulge any further details about the allocation because it suited their image as being the gamer's choice and all that. And their silence on that front is also why now this news is met strongly by people. It would have been much less of a 'big deal' if Sony detailed the allocation X weeks after the console announcement.

I can guarantee you that the majority of first day purchasers do not know or have any interest in RAM allocation.

Amount of RAM? Sure. But that allocation is a couple of steeps too deep.

Top Bottom