• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dead at 54 After Apparent Drowning

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm glad you took the time and effort to write out a scientifically rigorous and thoughtful response to my thoughtful response that I spent 5 minutes on because I respect you and the topic of conversation that we are having.

You showed absolutely zero respect for the topic so you won't get even an ounce of respect from me.

There are people in this thread and on larger forum that either struggled in the past or still are struggling with alcohol consumption and using dumb-ass cryptic language like "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health" is not helping anyone. It's like saying "In some quantities bananas can result in radiation poisoning". Yes, it's technically true but it's fucking nonsense.

Let me repeat that: there's no such thing as quantity of alcohol that's good for you. Period. You can come up with imaginary scenarios like "hey, if you drink 2 drops it's fine" but we all know what you mean by posting that nonsense. Or at least I see right through your bullshit. Go read few more papers on the topic, then we can talk.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
IMO, booze is the worst sin product out of all (smokes, drugs, gambling) because these other stuff are individual kinds of effects. Booze is the only one where if someone falls off the deep end (which can literally happen in a couple hours) you get wasted people who get into car accidents, DUI crashes and for some being the angry drunk fighting anyone within 10 ft including their own family. And also add in the individual effects like killing your liver.

And as I said earlier, it’s oddly also the most easily available and even promoted to the public like it’s the same as buying a carton of orange juice.

To get people hyped up on it, there’s even near beers at 0.0 or 0.5% alcohol allowed which can be a stepping stone to beer and liquor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You showed absolutely zero respect for the topic so you won't get even an ounce of respect from me.

I showed "absolutely zero respect for the topic"? Are you sure? I stated scientifically accurate facts about the topic at hand. I acknowledged evidence that is presented. I didn't insult your responses or questioned your motivations. I addressed every point made in rebuttal to what I presented, and explained what I thought was accurate or inaccurate about said rebuttal. I think I showed lots of respect for the topic by trying to steer the conversation into a more healthy state by attempting to cordially consolidate the things we generally think are true and accurate. You addressed the first point I made, then stopped after that.

There are people in this thread and on larger forum that either struggled in the past or still are struggling with alcohol consumption and using dumb-ass cryptic language like "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health" is not helping anyone. It's like saying "In some quantities bananas can result in radiation poisoning". Yes, it's technically true but it's fucking nonsense.

Yes, I do acknowledge that in our past, present, and future, there are a lot of people who struggle with alcohol abuse. It is a tragedy and I hope society gets to a point where those numbers are lessened. However, that doesn't make my statement "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health" untrue, which you claimed it was. Nor is it "dumb-ass cryptic language". It is a very clear and simple statement, because, well, alcohol in most quantities IS bad for your health. Don't need a study to figure that out.

Quick note - it is not like saying "in some quantities bananas can result in radiation poisoning" because eating 10 million bananas at once is impossible, and even if you did eat them over time, your body excretes potassium at a rate that the trace radiation would never build up to a lethal dose.

The banana example actually supports what I was saying. The dosage makes the poison.

Let me repeat that: there's no such thing as quantity of alcohol that's good for you. Period
I heard you the first time, no need to repeat. Also, like I said the first time, I generally agree with that statement. To note, it is also employing similar levels of generality and in-specificity that my "dumb-ass cryptic" statement did too, by the way.

You can come up with imaginary scenarios like "hey, if you drink 2 drops it's fine"

That's not an imaginary scenario. That's a real scenario that you can replicate at home, and which is doesn't contradict the statement "Alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health". I mean seriously, are you still splitting hairs over this very benign and very true statement?

but we all know what you mean by posting that nonsense.

1. Not nonsense. Very true.

2. "We" don't all know what I mean, because apparently you don't know what I mean when I say "alcohol in most quantities is bad for your health". You seem to think that statement is equivalent to "a few beers with dinner is grand" or something like that. It's not equivalent.

Or at least I see right through your bullshit. Go read few more papers on the topic, then we can talk.

I did read them. And we're talking now. So that tracks, at least.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And as I said earlier, it’s oddly also the most easily available and even promoted to the public like it’s the same as buying a carton of orange juice.

I agree that alcohol is probably the one that has the worst societal effects, but it's not promoted to the public like it's the same as buying a carton of orange juice. At least in America, there are many laws and regulations surrounding how alcohol is advertised, who can buy it, who can sell it, how you can sell it, and when you can sell it, that don't apply to orange juice. Alcoholic beverages also display a surgeon general's warming, which also does not appear on orange juice as far as I know.

Tams

Alcohol has no good aspects to it, probably only good for killing bacteria or make some cosmetics with it. It all starts innocently, few beers here and there etc. but gets bad pretty quickly, same was true for Matthew (RIP).

I did full blood test few months ago and it showed that my liver, heart and kidneys are in ok condition, it's hard to believe after 10 years of heavy drinking but I'm glad I stopped in the right time. It can get really bad:

^ some of those scenes could be filmed with me

You're speaking for yourself.

Meanwhile, I can easily enjoy the odd beer, or a glass or two of wine with a nice dinner, and feel exactly zero urge to go on a binge.

I don't binge drink. It's too expensive and I end up losing a whole day to an awful hangover; always have.

That you do is your problem. Don't foist the consequences of your lack of control on others.

Last edited:

Bojji

Your speaking for yourself.

Meanwhile, I can easily enjoy the odd beer, or a glass or two of wine with a nice dinner, and feel exactly zero urge to go on a binge.

I don't binge drink. It's too expensive and I end up losing a whole day to an awful hangover; always have.

That you do is your problem. Don't foist the consequences of your lack of control on others.

Good for you I guess?

Most people don't become alcoholics and what they do with alcohol is harmless most of the time, but not always of course. Life is full of surprises so you can't be sure that you won't get addicted at some point in your life.

I stopped drinking for a different reason. Like, it was turning my brain into a vegetable and I could feel the Midichlorians slipping away.

Beer was a big perpetrator. Wine, not so much for me. Whiskey? Probably not good for me in the long run either.

Tams

Good for you I guess?

Most people don't become alcoholics and what they do with alcohol is harmless most of the time, but not always of course. Life is full of surprises so you can't be sure that you won't get addicted at some point in your life.

So why pushbfor restrictions on the majority who can in a safe and responsible way? I mean, it is pointless to do so, as being the majority they won't accept you restraining them like that.

And do you know what is much, much, much worse? Added sugar, which almost everyone eats too much of. But I don't advocate for extreme restrictions on it because a) I like it like most other people, and b) no one would support such restrictions.

Notice where the brick walls are and don't bang your head against them.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I prefer the freedom to choose, for things like alcohol that most people can enjoy responsibly, over authoritarian rule by prudes.

Hard drugs should be kept away from society though.

Nobody here is advocating for restricting people’s right to choose. Just a ban on promoting this drug and a focus on educating the public on risk involved with consuming even “responsible” amounts. Nothing authoritarian about it. But feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

Bojji

So why pushbfor restrictions on the majority who can in a safe and responsible way? I mean, it is pointless to do so, as being the majority they won't accept you restraining them like that.

And do you know what is much, much, much worse? Added sugar, which almost everyone eats too much of. But I don't advocate for extreme restrictions on it because a) I like it like most other people, and b) no one would support such restrictions.

Notice where the brick walls are and don't bang your head against them.
I prefer the freedom to choose, for things like alcohol that most people can enjoy responsibly, over authoritarian rule by prudes.

Hard drugs should be kept away from society though.

Alcohol isn't that much different than hard drugs in how it works on organism, when i hear stories from people doing hard drugs (on therapy meetings) they could have just replace word "cocaine/methamphetamine etc." with "alcohol" and rest would be the same. Difference is you can't buy hard drugs in stores and they are not advertised or romanticized by society. Alcohol will remain in stores but people should be much better educated on how harmful it can be.

Nobody here is advocating for restricting people’s right to choose. Just a ban on promoting this drug and a focus on educating the public on risk involved with consuming even “responsible” amounts. Nothing authoritarian about it. But feel free to disagree.

In Poland alcohol can't be advertised before 20:00 so at least they restricted it somewhat.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Alcohol isn't that much different than hard drugs in how it works on organism, when i hear stories from people doing hard drugs (on therapy meetings) they could have just replace word "cocaine/methamphetamine etc." with "alcohol" and rest would be the same. Difference is you can't buy hard drugs in stores and they are not advertised or romanticized by society. Alcohol will remain in stores but people should be much better educated on how harmful it can be.

Word. Some people here have a hard time understanding it. I find it strange and suggest a long and deep look in the mirror. Maybe you have a problem and don't even know? The sooner you realize, the better.

In Poland alcohol can't be advertised before 20:00 so at least they restricted it somewhat.

I find this time restriction ridiculous. Alcohol advertising is especially vicious as it's targeting young people and aims to form a connection between having a good time and alcohol consumption. Like it's impossible to have a good time otherwise. I mean, look at this shit...

Last edited:

Bojji

Word. Some people here have a hard time understanding it. I find it strange and suggest a long and deep look in the mirror. Maybe you have a problem and don't even know? The sooner you realize, the better.

I find this time restriction ridiculous. Alcohol advertising is especially vicious as it's targeting young people and aims to form a connection between having a good time and alcohol consumption. Like it's impossible to have a good time otherwise. I mean, look at this shit...

In alcohol loving society that Poland is many people can't comprehend idea of having fun/party without alcohol, many people are also "proud" that average polish person can out drink pretty much everyone except Ukrainians and Russians :messenger_neutral:. I will probably have my weeding reception next year and I pretty much can't do it without alcohol on the table because no one would come...

I can't compare them personally (didn't do any drugs aside some marijuana 2 or 3 times in my life) but listening to people that are addicted to both alcohol and drugs you can get that conclusion (and even to only drug addicts). Addiction therapist also say that they function pretty much the same once you are addicted, alcohol also can also be worse on overall health (internal organs) than some of the drugs. Biggest difference is that drugs can get you addicted much quicker, even 1 dose in case of heroin when you usually have to drink for months to get addicted, it's also much easier to overdose and die.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I can't compare them personally (didn't do any drugs aside some marijuana 2 or 3 times in my life) but listening to people that are addicted to both alcohol and drugs you can get that conclusion (and even to only drug addicts). Addiction therapist also say that they function pretty much the same once you are addicted, alcohol also can also be worse on overall health (internal organs) than some of the drugs. Biggest difference is that drugs can get you addicted much quicker, even 1 dose in case of heroin when you usually have to drink for months to get addicted, it's also much easier to overdose and die.

Alcohol being this less harmful thing (I use thing because some here won't even accept it is a drug) is a myth that I'm actually amazed people from this forum who claim to read books still believe in. It's number one (overall, taken everything into account), ahead of crack and heroine.

I can't wait for someone to quote me with more "but... but... but..." bullshit. That is if they are still not on my ignore list. It's growing fast between low IQ takes in this thread and on the gaming side of the forum.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Its the same in active addiction, you can't function without substance.

Well of course, but that's not saying anything profound or new. All (physically) addictive substances are addictive because your body becomes dependent on them and can't function properly without that substance. It's saying addictive substances are addictive. It's tautological.

Yes, I know, alcohol is bad for you. But we can acknowledge that without sacrificing pertinent details regarding how it is different from other substances. These key differences are important for proper policy that informs our laws and regulations surrounding each substance.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Oh No Fire GIF

How did this go from RIP mr perry to an alcohol is the devil thread?

Fbh

Alcohol being this less harmful thing (I use thing because some here won't even accept it is a drug) is a myth that I'm actually amazed people from this forum who claim to read books still believe in. It's number one (overall, taken everything into account), ahead of crack and heroine.

I can't wait for someone to quote me with more "but... but... but..." bullshit. That is if they are still not on my ignore list. It's growing fast between low IQ takes in this thread and on the gaming side of the forum.

I know you are banned but from what I could find, a lot of the argument by the main professor behind this claim is based on volume.
Yes if looking at the total number of cases alcohol generates more deaths and health issues than many harder drugs, but alcohol consumption is also way more widespread than pretty much any other drug. I'd say a good 90% of adults I know consume at alcohol (at leas ocassionally).

I'd have to see the actual study and they methodology to be convinced something like crystal meth, crack or heroin would be less bad than alcohol if they were as socially accepted and widely consumed .

Winter John

Gold Member
I would just like to remind everyone it’s the weekend. So why not do the decent thing and head on down to your neighborhood bar, have some fun and put some cash behind the counter. After all we were here for you during the Xmas period when all them deadbeat relatives turned up at your door looking for handouts.

Yamisan

You're speaking for yourself.

ALL alcohol does damage to you, its a toxin no matter the dose. The people who try to claim its harmless in small doses have all been proven wrong by real experts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
ALL alcohol does damage to you, its a toxin no matter the dose. The people who try to claim its harmless in small doses have all been proven wrong by real experts.
The only time I've heard booze is good for you is from the claims drinking red wine in moderation is good for your heart. Googling it, there's tons of links, but I'm too lazy to see how true that claim is.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I can easily enjoy the odd beer, or a glass or two of wine with a nice dinner, and feel exactly zero urge to go on a binge.
People like you piss me off 😆

Like casual smokers who only smoke at parties.

From the 1st beer I ever drank at 15 I wanted to drink one thousand.
I have no hidden trauma or bad childhood experiences.
It took me 30 years to come to terms I'm just wired this way.

Personally I reject the idea of alcoholism as a disease.
Oh I have a disease it's not my fault.
Those were my choices and when finally faced with imminent death did I finally wake up and get my shit together.

But I never did Ketamine and jumped in a hot tub (Back on topic).

Tams

People like you piss me off 😆

Like casual smokers who only smoke at parties.

From the 1st beer I ever drank at 15 I wanted to drink one thousand.
I have no hidden trauma or bad childhood experiences.
It took me 30 years to come to terms I'm just wired this way.

Personally I reject the idea of alcoholism as a disease.
Oh I have a disease it's not my fault.
Those were my choices and when finally faced with imminent death did I finally wake up and get my shit together.

But I never did Ketamine and jumped in a hot tub (Back on topic).

So what are you saying then?

I'm saying that those of us who can control ourselves should not be punished because of people, like you, who cannot.

If you don't want to drink alcohol, you do you. Don't make drinking alcohol harder for me.

Tams

Go on then. Provide a paper that shows drinking a few beers a month does any measurable damage.

The only time I've heard booze is good for you is from the claims drinking red wine in moderation is good for your heart. Googling it, there's tons of links, but I'm too lazy to see how true that claim is.

I never claimed that alcohol was physically good for you. Enough with the strawman argument.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
So what are you saying then?

I'm saying that those of us who can control ourselves should not be punished because of people, like you, who cannot.

If you don't want to drink alcohol, you do you. Don't make drinking alcohol harder for me.
I'm jealous and envy people like you is all 😃

Top Bottom