• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From McDonald's To Organic Valley, You're Probably Eating Wood Pulp

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Evian To Tapwater, You're Probably Drinking Hitler Pee

Did you know that the most evil man of the 20th century had kidneys that filtered his blood and produced urine? Worse still, that urine LEFT HIS BODY and some of the water molecules in that dictator-piss might be in the beverage you're drinking RIGHT NOW!

What?! NOOOOOO! GET IT OUTTA ME
GET IT OUTTA ME NOW wait if I do that then everyone else is drinking Hitler Pee! AUUUUUUUUUUUGH

...Also this story is dumb

Aselith

pink-slime.jpg

That ice cream looks delicious! hurr hurr hurr

Santiako

Did you know that the most evil man of the 20th century had kidneys that filtered his blood and produced urine? Worse still, that urine LEFT HIS BODY and some of the water molecules in that dictator-piss might be in the beverage you're drinking RIGHT NOW!

ibeOwwpeKmimOq.gif

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm not even claiming that the wood pulp is bad. I simply don't know.

I was just commenting on the sentiment (at least how I interpreted it) that people are irrationally alarmed by food news like this.
Sorry for the personal attack.

Tarkus

Did you read the article or just the title
Do you not think this a useless article with a title to shock you into reading? Then they also have to mention GMOs in reference to corn-derived cellulose. What other information in this article is beneficial?

Roubjon

It's like they want us to visualize some greasy guy shredding tree bark with a cheese grater into our food.

Mmmmm, mossy.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't mind. I've often been curious as to if humans could digest wood.

Anytime I see a fat vegetarian I wonder "wth have they been eating? tree bark!?"

terrisus

Glycerol ester of wood rosin has been an ingredient in sports drinks (Powerade, etc.) for at least 15 years.

Tacitus_

I'm not even claiming that the wood pulp is bad. I simply don't know.

I was just commenting on the sentiment (at least how I interpreted it) that people are irrationally alarmed by food news like this.

People used actual wood pulp / dust as filler for bread making and coffee ground substitute during food shortages in WW2.

And this is just cellulose which we just can't really absorb.

Homeopathy am cry.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People used actual wood pulp / dust as filler for bread making and coffee ground substitute during food shortages in WW2.

And this is just cellulose which we just can't really absorb.

Just because the original product has been deemed safe does not mean the heavily processed product made from it is. Just because fermented soybeans are typically viewed as OK doesn't mean that hydrogenated soybean oil is safe, for example.

Tarkus

Just because the original product has been deemed safe does not mean the heavily processed product made from it is. Just because fermented soybeans are typically viewed as OK doesn't mean that hydrogenated soybean oil is safe, for example.
If you have no background knowledge in chemistry or biology, then don't talk about it. The whole processed foods controversy of such things is mostly from people who are not qualified to talk about it. Please...the whole anti-GMO movement has destroyed food supplies that would have fed so many starving across the world. Do not talk about GMOs or processed foods unless you really know what you're talking about.

A Fish Aficionado

You mean partially hydrogenated. Fully hydrogenated is innocuous.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
If you have no background knowledge in chemistry or biology, then don't talk about it. The whole processed foods controversy of such things is mostly from people who are not qualified to talk about it. Please...the whole anti-GMO movement has destroyed food supplies that would have fed so many starving across the world. Do not talk about GMOs or processed foods unless you really know what you're talking about.

I don't know much about processed foods. But I can tell you, that I had a processed meat hamburger once, it was exceedingly disgusting. And it was supposedly from a regular reputable restaurant. I told my coworker who ordered the food he was never allowed to pick where we ate from again.

Tarkus

I don't know much about processed foods. But I can tell you, that I had a processed meat hamburger once, it was exceedingly disgusting. And it was supposedly from a regular reputable restaurant. I told my coworker who ordered the food he was never allowed to pick where we ate from again.
I'm talking mostly about the health effects. Taste is an entirely different thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You mean partially hydrogenated. Fully hydrogenated is innocuous.

I wouldn't use the word innocuous to describe any type of 'vegetable' or seed oil, but yes, I was talking about partially hydrogenated oils when it comes to the topic of trans fats.

Alphahawk

My dad forwarded me a story about this. My thinking is that it doesn't really make sense to get alarmed over this since we've been eating and digesting it for so long without any real health problems.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Absolutely disgusting. I'm never eating McDonald or Organic Valley again.

A Fish Aficionado

I wouldn't use the word innocuous to describe any type of 'vegetable' or seed oil, but yes, I was talking about partially hydrogenated oils when it comes to the topic of trans fats.
Joke post?
There is poly/un/trans and saturated fat. The source doesn't matter when it comes to types of fat.

Monocle

I am mad as hell about this sensible practice. Whose inbox do I need to light up with frothing unhinged emails?

Tarkus

I am mad as hell about this sensible practice. Whose inbox do I need to light up with frothing unhinged emails?
Apparently Cosmo Clock 21's because he/she thinks it's ok for publishers to put this type of shit out. If you ever wonder about the chemical makeup or digestion products of a food, then contact ScienceGAF. Don't assume things...go here for your questions of this nature.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

This is a believable buzzfeed article.

As a certified HEALTH EXPERT (I eat salads) all of you are wrong and wood is dangerous!! I am switching to a liquid diet because the government can't put wood in liquid!

Tacitus_

As a certified HEALTH EXPERT (I eat salads) all of you are wrong and wood is dangerous!! I am switching to a liquid diet because the government can't put wood in liquid!

They can make nano cellulose these days you know. They had a presentation at my school when we had people from every industry that the school has connections to.

You could be drinking nano cellulose... and you wouldn't even know it

no health risks have been observed with nano cellulose, but please, don't drink it

Josh7289

I don't care. It's fine. It's safe. Whatever. There are real worldwide food problems we could be trying to solve instead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Joke post?
There is poly/un/trans and saturated fat. The source doesn't matter when it comes to types of fat.

Disagree. Not even sure why you are interested in simplifying things so if you're already bothering to categorize different types of fat.

You are eating wood! You are eating the same "cellulose" substance they use to make paper! What the hell is a cellulose anyway? Have you ever seen what happens to someone that eats paper? I have, it's no laughing matter, the results are almost always universally terrifying. You see cellulose causes the bowel wall to become overactive, which means that the digestive process could lapse into a runaway nuclear meltdown. The gasses that would escape from such an event would most assuredly be toxic. The only course of action we can take in the face of such knowledge is to launch a pre-emptive strike on the distributors of this cellulose material. As such I propose a vote, all in favour of attacking these fiends with the crudest of our weapons(mostly poop on stick and rotten eggs) say aye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom