• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the creators of "Mechanical Apartheid", comes...

Zero315

Banned
And if anyone wonders about how much Eidos is riding on appropriating BLM in its marketing, it had an actor in its fake panel (starts at 1 hour and 39 minutes) that dropped an "All Lives Matter" when talking about the game and she also said what Eduardo Bonna-Silva calls the ‘‘I Did Not Get a Job (or a Promotion), or Was Not Admitted to a College, Because of a Minority’ myth to justify the racist status quo (she argues that white people being oppressed by referring to an anecdote of two nieces who couldn't get into a program because of a non-White person got the positions instead):

Remember that this is only a marketing tactic, but it clearly confirms how Eidos is relying on contemporary racism and struggle against oppression to sell whatever cyborg whatever they are going for in Mankind Divided.

But whatever, this is just another instance of video games industry fucking up, but what upsets me is that people are being murdered and oppressed because how they look and then companies like Eidos want to take that struggle and use it for branding & financial purposes without doing anything at all for the people trying to survive and trying to change the white supremacist status quo. And I bet the end product is still a "lol both sides" thing.

Looked her up and she's not an actor. What she said is extremely shitty and fucked up, but I guess those are her views.

Still though, all this is really pushing me away from this game. I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

Not really.

But yeah, twitter is already losing their minds. It's... Ridiculous.

Nice concept art that draws real world parallels and references, if not almost spotlights, an important real-world movement. Oh deary, let's be offended.

I mean... Jebus.

"Oh no! People are being offended and criticizing a company's work! Our First Amendment rights are being violated! I'm gonna call the ACLU!"

Write it that way, sure, but don't market it that way. The parallels and themes are complex, and taking them out of the context of the story they are a part of doesn't work.

And if anyone wonders about how much Eidos is riding on appropriating BLM in its marketing, it had an actor in its fake panel (starts at 1 hour and 39 minutes) that dropped an "All Lives Matter" when talking about the game and she also said what Eduardo Bonna-Silva calls the ‘‘I Did Not Get a Job (or a Promotion), or Was Not Admitted to a College, Because of a Minority’ myth to justify the racist status quo (she argues that white people being oppressed by referring to an anecdote of two nieces who couldn't get into a program because of a non-White person got the positions instead):

Remember that this is only a marketing tactic, but it clearly confirms how Eidos is relying on contemporary racism and struggle against oppression to sell whatever cyborg whatever they are going for in Mankind Divided.

But whatever, this is just another instance of video games industry fucking up, but what upsets me is that people are being murdered and oppressed because how they look and then companies like Eidos want to take that struggle and use it for branding & financial purposes without doing anything at all for the people trying to survive and trying to change the white supremacist status quo. And I bet the end product is still a "lol both sides" thing.

Is this actually real? I might just rent this instead :(

Top Bottom