• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fur-Fun,game by Spanish youtuber Dalas,allegedy uses stolen assets from Banjo-Kazooie

People shouldn't react to his behavior? Why should he be exempt from criticism? Guess what...if you go on the Internet and act like an assholes, people will call you out on it. Just because other people steal assets doesn't make it OK for him to do, nor does it excuse his other behavior.

Other people stealing assets doesn't make it ok. But him being a misogynist and stealing assets have no relationship whatsoever.

@FlutterPuffs actually it works that way with Dalas. He is famous because of all the (pretty much deserved) hate he gets at all times. But yeah, he does have a fanbase too, probably way smaller than all of the haters he has.

I think the way @DaaMaadNess described him is pretty accurate

Other people stealing assets doesn't make it ok. But him being a misogynist and stealing assets have no relationship whatsoever.

@FlutterPuffs actually it works that way with Dalas. He is famous because of all the (pretty much deserved) hate he gets at all times. But yeah, he does have a fanbase too, probably way smaller than all of the haters he has.

I think the way @DaaMaadNess described him is pretty accurate
They have a relationship in that they establish him as a person with poor character. He isn't just stealing assets, he stole assets, then harassed people calling him out for it on twitter, then bans anyone who gives his game a negative review. That kind of behavior is consistent with someone who is a misogynist asshole.

Izkda

Neo Member
This must be a Disney licensed game
CA38BD6D56D651822DC03321FD6D7D76E9E734D8

They have a relationship in that they establish him as a person with poor character. He isn't just stealing assets, he stole assets, then harassed people calling him out for it on twitter, then bans anyone who gives his game a negative review. That kind of behavior is consistent with someone who is a misogynist asshole.

I think simply "asshole" describes that attitude.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't understand, is this screenshot the only evidence? Because I don't see what's wrong with him using Banjo assets to test certain stuff in the game and then replacing it with his own creations. Looking at Youtube videos, I cannot see anything stolen from Banjo at all. Also, it is visually quite impressive, though gameplay-wise I am considerably less than impressed with how the controls look.

Cday

Banned
edit: Just to clarify, I don't think Dalas using feminazi or any other kind of similar term has anything to do with stealing assets

This thread sure does.

Anyway I'm not seeing any evidence of the use of stolen assets in the game itself, so I'm not seeing the big deal so far. Looks like a shit game and his humor is awful.

Seems like a witch hunt with ulterior motives.

Not sure why you are continuing to downplay his misogyny in this thread.

I'm simply trying to focus on the stolen assets.
Not sure why you keep insisting that being a misogynist has anything to do with stealing assets. In fact the op mentioning it right at the beginning of the thread it's simply making people judge the situation in a biased manner.

I mean, has actually anyone checked the content of those files? So far only a screen-shot has been shown. Besides the game is still in early access, might just be placeholders as someone mentioned or assets that are being sold in the unity store.
Anyway I wanna trust the deleted article caused it named a site called "The Cutting Room Floor" who are supposed to be experts detecting this kind of stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not going to get into who he is as a person, since this topic is the first I've ever heard of him. However, from what's provided I think he was using placeholders in stuff he was developing not available to the public and forgot to remove them or thought people wouldn't know when he released the build. But they don't seem to be anywhere in the game that people can play as far as I can tell.

Unless more evidence springs up, I think this isn't that big a deal. People will just pile hate because they dislike him, but dogpiling hate with hate isn't the way to go about it. Especially when it gets to a point where you put feelings over facts. Placeholders like this are hardly uncommon.

Vatticson

Neo Member
This Dalas guy banned me from Twitter just because I've retweeted a tweet he didn't like (I mean, I've never sent him any message directly). Also, he banned me from that game's Steam forum, because I've said that it looked too amateur for a 10€ game.

Yes, he's a famous youtuber on Spain. He also creates videos that are supposed to be didactical, but they are just him giving his "objective opinion" (like he says, but I can tell you he's not precisely good at reuniting facts).

One user in this thread pointed out he was sued because of various cases of sexual harrasment. He was on the cover of a famous spanish magazine called Interviu because of those incidents ( that cover is NSFW because it always has a naked gal next to the information, so I think it's not appropiate to put an URL here. It's easily reachable on Google, though, just wrigint "Interviu Dalas").

I agree that him being a misogynist doesn't actually make him a "thief", but he's pretty much an "asshole package". That game is a cash grab for sure.

shiyrley

Banned
This dude is the most explicit representation of the word "cancer" on Youtube Spain. All he does is bullshit, sexist and when you tell him he's doing wrong his only response is either insulting you or instablocking you on his social networks. He is 23 yo and he already has like 5 sexist violence impeachments.

Moreover, and this is important to know too, is that he's banning all people that are leaving negative reviews on the steam's game page.

Worst of all is that he's getting fucking rich because all the toxic content he does on Youtube is suceeding. Like all the toxic content on Youtube Spain. We got what we deserve.

Hopefully he gets into a court for all this assets thing. He really needs it.
This is a pretty good summary of Dalas.

Yoshi

This is a pretty good summary of Dalas.
True as that might be, I don't see how this has anything to do with the allegations in the thread. Just because a person misbehaves in one area it is not fair game to just shit on him for everything else.

Actually I'm a bit surprised that someone puts obviously a lot of work into the visuals of a game but seemingly next to none into the basic mechanics, because that part of Fur-Fun really looks rough.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814107910

EDIT: Can a mod fix the "allegedly" typo? Thanks.

This is a game created by a Spanish youtuber known as DalasReview. This Youtuber is famous for pretty messed up stuff, and also uses the word feminazi which should tell you a lot of stuff about him. Let's just say he's the most hated Youtuber in Spain, and for good reason.

The thing is that he's now developing a videogame, and it alledgely uses stolen assets from Banjo-Kazooie. A Steam early access game, that already passed Greenlight, that costs money. You can buy this game today, and it contains the stolen assets.

T0A80P0.png

A Spanish video game site wrote an article about it, and said article is now gone. He probably threatened them.

After deletion:

You can still view the article here:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...bados-otros-juegos/+&cd=2&hl=es&ct=clnk&gl=es

He is currently doing damage control in the game's twitter account, being extremely mean to everyone:

Translations of the tweets:

"So what? These files are not used in the game, and they are illegally extracted from it." (He apparently implies that the action of extracting files from Fur-Fun to discover this, is illegal)

"Just like all of the tweets I have seen from you, you are wrong. You have no idea and on top of that you believe your own theories".

- Already in "English" -

"People like you who don't even check the veracity of their words before writing them don't even deserve to be answered"

-- Already in English --

"He hasn't bought anything. I am the creator of that Kickstarter. You'd better stop tweeting because you have no fucking idea about anything".

---------

I think that this game should me removed form Steam Greenlight to be honest, he is STEALING ASSETS. But considering he is already censoring people, this seems somewhat hard. That's why I am trying to make noise about this. He can't censor people.

If Jim Sterling were to make REAL noise about this, now that would be pretty fantastic. This is what he deserves, doing this and maintaining that attitude.

EDIT: Apparently he is banning people from the game's steal page if they leave bad reviews.

.... it never ceases to amaze me how some (read: very few) developers think making games is a right.

.... it never ceases to amaze me how some (read: very few) developers think making games is a right.

This guy doesn't even deserve to be called a developer tbh, this guy is just a sexist piece of shit who has a lot of fans willing to see his misogynist videos and to buy every book, game and shit he does (don't ask me why).

But yeah, we're Spain here, we are the same guys who keep happily voting for a government full of thieves, so no I'm not surprised that this kind of guys are getting rich.

Not surprised one bit that he has stolen assets here.

keidashxd

I'm spanish and live in Spain but didn't know who this guy was, I was happy on my ignorance... he seems like an average spanish youtuber anyway... not too proud of our national youtubers xD

Haven't heard of this game, so I checked out the Greenlight page, the trailer started to play automatically, and at one point he says something along the lines of, "and at the end of each level is a boss which you will have to defeat, or you can hack the game, I won't judge you."

Don't dig through the files and uncover stolen assets though. That's a no-no apparently.

Edit: Music is also HEAVILY inspired by David Wise's work it sounds like.

Oh, look, it's in the Steam page description:

LTTNU1m.png

You mean Grant Kirkhope. And yeah the song in the trailer sounds like it belongs to a Banjo game.

Camjo-Z

So there are some B-K assets in the game files, but... they aren't actually used in the game anyway? I'm not sure I understand what we're supposed to be upset about.

Thorrgal

I'm simply trying to focus on the stolen assets.
Not sure why you keep insisting that being a misogynist has anything to do with stealing assets. In fact the op mentioning it right at the beginning of the thread it's simply making people judge the situation in a biased manner.

I mean, has actually anyone checked the content of those files? So far only a screen-shot has been shown. Besides the game is still in early access, might just be placeholders as someone mentioned or assets that are being sold in the unity store.
Anyway I wanna trust the deleted article caused it named a site called "The Cutting Room Floor" who are supposed to be experts detecting this kind of stuff.

Why do you keep defending this asshole?

Seriously I can't see any evidence that the BK assets in the files are actually in the game. When dealing with a large asset database, it's easy to forget to delete some old files. As long as it's not in the final game I really don't see an issue.

I mean, judge him for his other behaviours if you must but as far as stolen assets go, I don't think the line has actually been crossed.

I'd hate to show you guys my early prototypes. I'd be torn to shreds.

Seriously I can't see any evidence that the BK assets in the files are actually in the game. When dealing with a large asset database, it's easy to forget to delete some old files. As long as it's not in the final game I really don't see an issue.

I mean, judge him for his other behaviours if you must but as far as stolen assets go, I don't think the line has actually been crossed.

I'd hate to show you guys my early prototypes. I'd be torn to shreds.

i'd agree.. until i saw the timone model in the game.

i checked out a video on youtube of the game. i mean the game doesnt seem amazing but it looks alright.

i'd agree.. until i saw the timone model in the game.

i checked out a video on youtube of the game. i mean the game doesnt seem amazing but it looks alright.

Lol yeah discount Timone certainly looks questionable

But as far as the Banjo stuff everyone seems up in arms about, I don't see a problem.

Why do you keep defending this asshole?

I'm not trying to but being an asshole doesn't make you a thief. I see most people here simply being too biased to actually judge the situation accordingly.
So far we still don't know if these files are really used on the game or not. I'm completly against stealing somebody's else work so if he has done it (like it seems he has) Valve and Rare should act.

Aranjah

I see a bunch of "kewpie" assets listed in that screenshot, is "Fur Fun" the new name for "Kewpie-Jazzy" or were those assets stolen from that project, too?

shiyrley

Banned
I see a bunch of "kewpie" assets listed in that screenshot, is "Fur Fun" the new name for "Kewpie-Jazzy" or were those assets stolen from that project, too?
It's the new name.

So, I don't really know if / when these assets do pop up in the game, but the point is:
  • The game CONTAINS these assets, in the current paid version of the game.
  • He is banning from the Steam community of the game anyone who dares leave a negative review, or complain in any way or form about any aspect of the game
  • He is removing any YouTube videos that criticise the game via copyright claim
  • He is being mean to anyone who points out to him via Twitter that the game uses stolen assets. Also, he deleted the tweets now.
  • He has a huge track record of being an asshole.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No one should use the term 'feminazi'. People who use that term are misogynists. Misogyny is not tolerated on this board, nor is handwaving Misogyny by saying 'boys will be boys'. Keep that up and you won't last long here.

Backseat modding is also frowned upon

Niel

Lol, did not expect a thread about Dalas in here.I wish nothing but the worst for this guy.

Game looks like crap too.

It's the new name.

So, I don't really know if / when these assets do pop up in the game, but the point is:
  • The game CONTAINS these assets, in the current paid version of the game.
  • He is banning from the Steam community of the game anyone who dares leave a negative review, or complain in any way or form about any aspect of the game
  • He is removing any YouTube videos that criticise the game via copyright claim
  • He is being mean to anyone who points out to him via Twitter that the game uses stolen assets. Also, he deleted the tweets now.
  • He has a huge track record of being an asshole.

Ok but the allegation is that he's promoting his game with the stolen assets, not that he's a prick.

Yoshi

No one should use the term 'feminazi'. People who use that term are misogynists. Misogyny is not tolerated on this board, nor is handwaving Misogyny by saying 'boys will be boys'. Keep that up and you won't last long here.

Interestingly, the only person who has ever said that word in person to me, was my female colleague, who I assume due to her gender, is not a misogynist. Of course, this is besides the point, I do not want to argue if the developer is a misogynist, because I have no reason to doubt that (and if I doubted it I couldn't check it because my Spanish knowledge is rudimentary at best).

However, I really don't see how it is relevant if he is a misogynist for the allgeations made here. It's not fine to just accuse someone of a crime with insufficient evidence and then to just back it up with "but he's an asshole". It does not matter if he is an asshole, this topic is about him stealing assets. So what I'd expect is a video or screenhot of a place where these assets are being used.

The screenshot above is not even conclusive of these assets even being in the game, because for all we know these might be original assets just named this way. Case in point: My currently in development game contains a prefab that is named Jinjo, because the game element associated with it somehow works like a Jinjo or a red coin, but red coin was too complicated and at that time it was not decided yet how these things are going to be called in the final game. I may or may not rename the prefab before I release the game (actually, I will probably not rename it, because no one will ever see this name in the final game), but it would be totally unjustified to claim I had stolen assets just because that prefab is called Jinjo.

Interestingly, the only person who has ever said that word in person to me, was my female colleague, who I assume due to her gender, is not a misogynist. Of course, this is besides the point, I do not want to argue if the developer is a misogynist, because I have no reason to doubt that (and if I doubted it I couldn't check it because my Spanish knowledge is rudimentary at best).

However, I really don't see how it is relevant if he is a misogynist for the allgeations made here. It's not fine to just accuse someone of a crime with insufficient evidence and then to just back it up with "but he's an asshole". It does not matter if he is an asshole, this topic is about him stealing assets. So what I'd expect is a video or screenhot of a place where these assets are being used.

The screenshot above is not even conclusive of these assets even being in the game, because for all we know these might be original assets just named this way. Case in point: My currently in development game contains a prefab that is named Jinjo, because the game element associated with it somehow works like a Jinjo or a red coin, but red coin was too complicated and at that time it was not decided yet how these things are going to be called in the final game. I may or may not rename the prefab before I release the game (actually, I will probably not rename it, because no one will ever see this name in the final game), but it would be totally unjustified to claim I had stolen assets just because that prefab is called Jinjo.
Man, look at the beginning of the page, he has also put Timone into his game. That alone is a stolen asset on its own.

Yoshi

Man, look at the beginning of the page, he has also put Timone into his game. That alone is a stolen asset on its own.

Is it actually stolen? I don't recognise the model from anything. Since Timone does not offer so many distinctive properties to differentiate him from a generic comic meerkat as far as I remember him, I'd be careful with calling that character stolen. Either way, it would still be a different case of stolen assets, because Timone is not a Banjo character.

EDIT: Let me add though, I just saw on Twitter, that it is confiremed the assets are actually music from Banjo.

Trup1aya

Is it actually stolen? I don't recognise the model from anything. Since Timone does not offer so many distinctive properties to differentiate him from a generic comic meerkat as far as I remember him, I'd be careful with calling that character stolen. Either way, it would still be a different case of stolen assets, because Timone is not a Banjo character.

EDIT: Let me add though, I just saw on Twitter, that it is confiremed the assets are actually music from Banjo.

What difference does it make if it's a banjo asset or a Timone asset? Either way he's clearly stealing assets. It's not the intellectual property that makes this outrageous, it's the act.

Yoshi

What difference does it make if it's a banjo asset or a Timone asset? Either way he's clearly stealing assets. It's not the intellectual property that makes this outrageous, it's the act.

The difference is that Timon is not a stolen asset (as far as I can see, I am not aware of any product that contains such a Timon model), but if anything, it's a copyright breach by imitation. Which I think is still somewhat questionable, I am unsure if this indeed is to close to Timon.

Because if you make a thread about how this developer is using stolen BK assets and the only evidence of stolen assets is a questionable meerkat, your thread is nullified.

shiyrley

Banned
The plot thickens

"In the game no third-party copyrighted assets have ever been used. I invite you to play the full game and check it out by yourself."

🤔
Ok but the allegation is that he's promoting his game with the stolen assets, not that he's a prick.
Please point to the exact part of the OP in where I say that he's promoting the game with those assets. I'm saying that the assets are in the paid game.

Also reminder that he's copyright striking any Youtube video that criticises the game and banning people from the Steam community if they leave a negative review

Dalas also claims that the files are just filenames, and that they are empty. English-written proof that this is false:
https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/833394546595749888

Please point to the exact part of the OP in where I say that he's promoting the game with those assets. I'm saying that the assets are in the paid game.

Leaving suspiciously named files in your game is not equal to violation of copyright. If he were using those assets in the final game it would be a different story.

Coin? Yup, never been another game with coins, must be lifted from Mario.

Gold bar? Yup, no way it's not a Minecraft asset.

Now when I watched the video, I immediately thought 'that's Timone holy shit' but on closer inspection it's only a passing resemblance. I'm not ruling out it being a Timone model from a Disney game that was slightly modified, I just don't see the point in doing that. I'm not about running a witch hunt on this dude for dubious evidence. Show me where he very clearly violated copyright besides forgetting to remove prototyping placeholders. Oterwise, have a mod edit your thread to say "this guy is an asshole, proof inside."

Top Bottom