• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

I was gonna post a revised walk cycle of Silvia but I can't get her shirt to appear so I decided against it lol!

She doesn't have nips or anything on her model ... just thought it might be too close to the line. :p

Songbird

Prodigal Son
This has rapidly become The Thread That Wouldn't Die, so I'll bind its soul to our mortal plane for just a little longer. I've been a casual fan of the artist Chris Goodwin's stuff for a long time, in particular his work for the Ironclaw RPG. These are some cool illustrations for the race profiles in the rule book that I only just remembered - it's getting harder to remember tasteful artists since I take the ones I like for granted. Click for bigger.

Chris Goodwin said:

You can tell I liked Redwall as a kid. This one's pretty fabulous too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what's the general consensus of animals being used a lot? I seem to see a lot of canines and felines.

So what's the general consensus of animals being used a lot? I seem to see a lot of canines and felines.

Familiarity, some artists find them easier, humanity tends to be "cat people and dog people", etc, etc. I don't think there's any one particular reason that certain species tend to become more popular than others, though it does seem to change slightly every year, and it depends on where you look.

That's the good stuff right there. None of the (traditionally) western furry fandom's overt or surreptitious sexualization, great backdrop (something western furry artists tend to avoid like the plague), and lots of story inherent in the composition.

Uchip

Banned
None of the western furry fandom's overt or surreptitious sexualization, great backdrop (something western furry artists tend to avoid like the plague), and lots of story inherent in the composition.

but those pics are western?

I just put it down to pet favoritism
needs more undefinable/unique characters

it is funny though, they claim that they draw furries because of artistic freedoms in character design, yet most of them look very sameish

but those pics are western?

Correct, but I was making a generalization that, traditionally, western furry fandom art is full of overt or surreptitious sexualization, and lack backdrops and/or anything resembling a greater context other than "here is my sexy cow with neon green hair". So the piece in question struck me as a nice cut above the norm.

Full Disclosure: I appear to be an art snob.

Uchip

Banned
Correct, but I was making a generalization that, in general, western furry fandom art is full of overt or surreptitious sexualization, and lack backdrops and/or anything resembling a greater context other than "here is my sexy cow with neon green hair".

while thats true, pixiv artists draw just as much sexual stuff and they love their underage looking cat girls and sketchy style
the amount of actual good artists that do clean pictures is one in a hundred from any region

I would agree, but Pixiv is a bit like FA in that, it's become a place for that kind of thing. I don't think Pixiv is any more wholly representative of non-Western furry art, than I would assume FA is wholly representative of Western furry art.

I was speaking in more general terms, not related to the glut of art one finds congealing around art sites, but more along the lines of media, books, movies, comics, and general artistic output.

I guess said much more plainly, is that there is less output in the Western world of the kind of thing that image represents, than perhaps compared to Japan, where comics have evolved much further as a mature medium, versus the West (which is catching up, true, but is still labouring under a lot of genre assumptions).

Uchip

Banned
I would agree, but Pixiv is a bit like FA in that, it's become a place for that kind of thing. I don't think Pixiv is any more wholly representative of non-Western furry art, than I would assume FA is wholly representative of Western furry art.

I was speaking in more general terms, not related to the glut of art one finds congealing around art sites, but more along the lines of media, books, movies, comics, and general artistic output.

I guess said much more plainly, is that there is less output in the Western world of the kind of thing that image represents, than perhaps compared to Japan, where comics have evolved much further as a mature medium, versus the West (which is catching up, true, but is still labouring under a lot of genre assumptions).

I dont know of any anthro manga or anime actually, or any other medium
whereas western style includes things like mouseguard and fantastic mr fox

if you're talking about videogames then I can still only think of more western examples

There are plenty of anthro manga, look at Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (off the top of my head). If I had to go and look for them all, I wonder how many I'd find, actually.

Speaking of Oumagadoki Doubutsuen, it has the cutest rhino in it:

kkYR1.jpg

Perhaps it's a matter of cultural exposure, then. Personally, I feel there's more leaning towards anthro-centric creation in the East, than there is in the West, not counting America's obsession with putting buff American Eagles on their gyms, or using "mascots" for their sports teams. :p

Well, why would they be well known if they're not part of your cultural experience? I certainly don't know of every Bollywood movie that's made, but I wouldn't assume they're not 'well known'. They're just not well known to me.

What you're saying is, you've not really come across all the examples I have, and I can understand that. But one would be remiss to assume that the only things that have weight, or matter, or are popular, are the things one personally experiences. That would cut life down to a very, very narrow sliver.

And you'd miss out on a lot of cool stuff.

I'm assuming that a lot of anthro content from the non-West isn't well known to the West because, well, not everything gets translated. There are plenty of anthro-centric creations from, just as an example, South Africa, that never got translated into English, and as such most of America would probably never hear of it, and never will since a lot of it is from pre-YouTube days.

And no, the US is not the only country with a predilection for anthropomorphism when it comes to mascots to cheer on their various war gods, but the US has turned it into an art. :p

Egyptians did it first.

:3

Hey now, Neolithic era China would like to have a word with you. :p

(I think it would be impossible to trace back the first instances of animal anthropomorphism, since I'm pretty sure pre-written-word folklore would have included such things).

Egyptians were just nice enough to write all their stuff down as comics.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess Greek and Indian counts as well, although India had less animal heads and Greek was just straight up bestiality.
Hey now, Neolithic era China would like to have a word with you. :p

(I think it would be impossible to trace back the first instances of animal anthropomorphism, since I'm pretty sure pre-written-word folklore would have included such things).
I wasn't aware anthropomorphism was popular in ancient China. Note, I'm differentiating anthropomorphism than just animals that can talk, it has to be an intentional amalgam of human and animal characteristics instead of just talking god animals.

I guess it would depend on how much we want to consider animal anthropomorphism a memetic inherent in an ecosystem that contains humans capable of imagination, and animals that provide subject-matter.

Granted, my knowledge of pre-written-word culture is sketchy at best, since lol nothing was written down.

Also, I didn't use the word "popular" anywhere, since that's a dirty word that means whatever someone wants it to mean. :p

Though if cavemen could talk, I'm sure one of them would have told a tall tale about having seen another dude walking around, but get this, his head was that of a sabertooth tiger, and he told me you should let me bonk your mate!

I have ultimate faith that were there are people capable of speech, there are people who are great liars/storytellers.

Haly

I guess it would depend on how much we want to consider animal anthropomorphism a memetic inherent in an ecosystem that contains humans capable of imagination, and animals that provide subject-matter.

Granted, my knowledge of pre-written-word culture is sketchy at best, since lol nothing was written down.

Also, I didn't use the word "popular" anywhere, since that's a dirty word that means whatever someone wants it to mean. :p

Though if cavemen could talk, I'm sure one of them would have told a tall tale about having seen another dude walking around, but get this, his head was that of a sabertooth tiger, and he told me you should let me bonk your mate!

I have faith in people.
Right, that makes sense. Popular was a bad word, I should'e used something like commonplace.

Just found this, while doing some research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_man_of_the_Hohlenstein_Stadel

A lion headed figure, first called the lion man (German: Löwenmensch, literally "lion person"), then the lion lady (German: Löwenfrau), is an ivory sculpture that is the oldest known zoomorphic (animal-shaped) sculpture in the world and one of the oldest known sculptures in general. The sculpture has also been interpreted as anthropomorphic, giving human characteristics to an animal, although it may have represented a deity. The figurine was determined to be about 32,000 years old by carbon dating material from the same layer in which the sculpture was found

Lion_man_photo.jpg

"a lion-headed figurine found in Germany and dating to the Upper Paleolithic. (about 30,000 BCE)"

Predynastic Egypt was like 5500 BC, so this thing predates that by.. a huge margin, though BCE vs BC is throwing me off.

EDIT: Er, yeah. Seems BCE = BC, so 30,000 BC Ms. Lionhead predates Mr. Horuspants and Anubis-san by quite a bit.

Haly

I hope that's just a trick of perspective and not the actual size of his feet.

Uchip

Banned
Well, why would they be well known if they're not part of your cultural experience? I certainly don't know of every Bollywood movie that's made, but I wouldn't assume they're not 'well known'. They're just not well known to me.

What you're saying is, you've not really come across all the examples I have, and I can understand that. But one would be remiss to assume that the only things that have weight, or matter, or are popular, are the things one personally experiences. That would cut life down to a very, very narrow sliver.

And you'd miss out on a lot of cool stuff.

I'm assuming that a lot of anthro content from the non-West isn't well known to the West because, well, not everything gets translated. There are plenty of anthro-centric creations from, just as an example, South Africa, that never got translated into English, and as such most of America would probably never hear of it, and never will since a lot of it is from pre-YouTube days.

And no, the US is not the only country with a predilection for anthropomorphism when it comes to mascots to cheer on their various war gods, but the US has turned it into an art. :p

with such a strong view, i was just expecting more examples is all

Prax

it didnt seem worse than the one that rorydropkick posted last page *shrugs*
or anything that chuck posted

Let's just say the added "rosy glow" of her groin plus even tinier top just puts it sligggghtly over the edge. >__>
I mean, other than that, it's a well-made image relative to a lot of furry art.. XD

Uchip

Banned
Let's just say the added "rosy glow" of her groin plus even tinier top just puts it sligggghtly over the edge.

you mean the colouring thats also on her elbows, shoulders and fingers?
how is that worse than chuck posting a completely naked renamon?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The sword is for Lord Genn Greymane's human form. Worgens don't need swords when transformed. :p

May as well keep it going.

Delga...

You found that website I have been looking for abundant of Delga art!

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

To the unfamiliar, Delga is the red buff dragon dude.

Prax

you mean the colouring thats also on her elbows, shoulders and fingers?
how is that worse than chuck posting a completely naked renamon?

I am not gonna bother complaining about Digimon artwork.. lol (since I am already biased against Digimon--hahahaha).

I think you know what rosyness on body parts imply, mister connoisseur of sexy female furries! The fact it was added is only to emphasize that area with plump curvaceous warmth of some sort~! (also commonly added to breasts, cheeks, and any other protruding area--sometimes with shine~!).

Though I must be picking more on you because your subjects are even more human looking, which crosses the line far more easily.. but yes, the Renamon languishing on couch pics were also on the same level of line-crossing. (Just not as appealing lol)

To set the record straight: I grow weary of fanservice furries and would enjoy seeing more of what Thnikkaman posted. I will return to lurk mode now~!

Uchip

Banned
I am not gonna bother complaining about Digimon artwork.. lol (since I am already biased against Digimon--hahahaha).

I think you know what rosyness on body parts imply, mister connoisseur of sexy female furries! The fact it was added is only to emphasize that area with plump curvaceous warmth of some sort~! (also commonly added to breasts, cheeks, and any other protruding area--sometimes with shine~!).

Though I must be picking more on you because your subjects are even more human looking, which crosses the line far more easily.. but yes, the Renamon languishing on couch pics were also on the same level of line-crossing. (Just not as appealing lol)

To set the record straight: I grow weary of fanservice furries and would enjoy seeing more of what Thnikkaman posted. I will return to lurk mode now~!

you posted felicia from darkstalkers....
i dont think of it as fanservice when the characters would be far too warm in standard clothing
unless snow :)

Haly

The anteater.

Omg.

The anteater.

Uchip you have a huge persecution complex.

Not that it isn't justified but still, huuuge complex.

Top Bottom