• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

I drew a character as practice for using a tablet (just got one for work)
First attempt at drawing anything since like 10 years ago
she needs a name...

Not bad for a start. The ears are odd though, they should be more up and open to the front not down (like in your own avatar) unless she's supposed to be afraid, but her expression doesn't indicate that.

As for a name... Emily? (I had a cat named that when I was a kid.)

Uchip

Banned
Great effort, Uchip. Does this picture reflect your preferred style, or is it something that you'd like to refine?

Its what came to mind
also anime

Those look more like horns than ears. Also face/head size mismatch.

thank you, captain constructive

unless she's supposed to be afraid

was thinking listening around, but i guess that didn't work out :)
looked better pre-colour I think

Would be helpful if gafs resident artists were around

Prax

I drew a character as practice for using a tablet (just got one for work)
First attempt at drawing anything since like 10 years ago
she needs a name...

aaaaand my friend said that she reminds him of spock, and now i cant unsee
might as well add the enterprise emblem onto the shirt ><

Its what came to mind
also anime
thank you, captain constructive
was thinking listening around, but i guess that didn't work out :)
looked better pre-colour I think

Would be helpful if gafs resident artists were around
Oooh~~ GAF ART! And in an area I can be useful~! Maybe!

That is pretty good for a 10 year lag in drawing and also just breaking in a tablet!
Looks like her name should start with a "Cl--" .. like Claire or Clover or Cleo .. >_> Don't ask me why.

You're friend's Spock comment (besides the blue shirt ad black hair and straight-cut bangs) is also probably influenced by how much forehead space you gave her. Makes her look very... placid?
Hitokage is right in that there seems to be a face/head mismatch. It just doesn't "feel" right.
It probably looked better in black and white because the shading style you chose attempted to make her more 3 dimensional, and when you do that, a lot of new rules have to be applied to get the picture to look convincing.

Sorry for the crude edits to illustrate, but I am only on my laptop with a touchpad right now! I thought showing would be the best way to explain. I tried to keep as much of the integrity of your drawing as possible though.

• You just gave her too much vertical cranium space, I think. That's easily adjusted with an anime art style because you can just make the eyes bigger (25% increase here) and reposition them a bit higher on the face. The brows you gave her were also very weak (weaker/thinner than most of the other lines on her--gives me the feeling of "baldness"), so I thickened them. To take up more cranium real estate, I also raised them higher on her face. Now she kind of looks more awake as a result as well.
  • The ears also look like horns/pasted on because you didn't draw the hair falling around it naturally enough--which I do find hard to deal with sometimes because you have to visualize where all the roots start and how hair flows around objects etc. Easy way to hide/deal with that problem is to layer it behind bangs. You are now going to notice how most ear placements in furry art with human-like hair makes no sense, but it's hidden because of the bangs trick. xD I also shortened her right ear because of the angle she's facing.
  • I also gave her more hair/sideburns because she looked too "bald"
  • I lowered her breasts because they felt too uncomfortably high on her torso. I didn't do a very good job though, since I didn't change any of the linework to follow her body more naturally, but you get the idea..

uchips_by_meibatsu-d4s31ih.jpg

Uchip

Banned
Some nice tips
Made a quick edit, seemed to make a lot of improvement
small version
large version

Her name is Cait (as in Caitlin) because it has letters that form cat in it :p
You gave me the first letter I guess
If i do another one she will be an assasin/hitman because the eyes are scary

should probably keep it simplistic while trying to learn anatomy....

why are tutorials so hard to follow :|
I guess it's a matter of just sticking with it, and practicing drawing whenever you can. For example, I have a few guides that I'm going through for general drawing, but since I still have a shaky hand and odd angles, I just sketch a bit, not following anything, every day on the way to work. I think I've gotten better from when I first started, and even though I'm far from what could be considered good, I keep at it with the hope that my practice will come to fruit sometime in the future.

Uchip

Banned
I guess it's a matter of just sticking with it, and practicing drawing whenever you can. For example, I have a few guides that I'm going through for general drawing, but since I still have a shaky hand and odd angles, I just sketch a bit, not following anything, every day on the way to work. I think I've gotten better from when I first started, and even though I'm far from what could be considered good, I keep at it with the hope that my practice will come to fruit sometime in the future.

Im not planning on doing this often enough, it was more to get used to using a tablet for work
Would still like more random tips though :p

Uchip

Banned
That's a pretty heinous rendition... wtf.

its almost a perfect clone of the P&S style
but that style being used in this way is just bad

Honestly I thought this thread could be proof that anthro art could be classy, and that not all the fans are depraved or perverted. But it turned into exactly why people are afraid to even come near the stuff.

Honestly I thought this thread could be proof that anthro art could be classy

That's what I was trying to do as well with the pics I posted, showing off some of the better talent. It's a lost cause I suppose. Not like I have room to talk anyway... probably a good thing my FA profile is under a different name. lol

Zambuka said:

CHEEZMO™;35877084 said:
Taylor the badger <3333333333 so fucking much.

Oh badger, duh. I know the tail is wrong for a skunk but that's what the markings reminded me of. He's cute for sure but I'm realy not that big a fan of Onta's style, I like some of the other HB artists better especially Pofooo and Azelyn.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'm both impressed and disappointed in myself that I haven't used 'hopping' as a euphemism before.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
That wasn't really an attempt.

I much prefer a good dysphemism anyway. Nothing like some crass vulgarity to get the blood flowing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There are like... five of you who are carrying this thread.

*silently right-clicks and saves multiple pictures*

Five? I count Cheez and Uchip.

And Cheez isn't posting the stereotypical
Read: GAY
furry pictures. Which is amazing.

Hey, I still try sometimes, although I'm not as enigmatic :p

Too bad there isn't a more solid topic to talk about consistently here. Or is that the Community effect? I say yes.

G-Fex

I've unsubbed a long time ago but I think this is goodbye. Something hit me a few weeks ago browsing furry art for the last time. I just can't stand it anymore, nor peoples devious and awful art/whatever. I can't take it. I say goodbye to the fur genre.

Top Bottom