• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Wii U Owners, time to stock up on coin cell batteries.

DonMigs85

I hope Wii U uses mains power for its clock and stuff when it's in standby, to help prolong the battery life.
That's what desktop Macs do, to avoid draining the PRAM battery.

Cipherr

It's okay, I still have a couple dozen waiting to be used in my Saturn.

This may have been a joke, but I do have one of these as a backup for the one in my Saturn. I have already had to replace the one in my Saturn, I bought an extra a long while ago. Just sitting in the closet.

Vamphuntr

wait was this a thing with saturns?!

maybe thats why mine stopped saving?

all of a sudden, after y2k mind you, my saturn stopped saving - atleast my shining force 3, and i always have to reset up the clock the internal clock i think.

hmmmmmm

are these easy to get and replace in my saturn?

You can find replacement batteries in 1$-2$ dollar stores over here... You can backup your save permanently with the backup ram cart though, but I think they are fairly expensive now.

Speaking of battery :
Here how to change GB games battery without a soldering iron or special screwdriver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOeaVbUBRVY

And, any Canadian website sell the 2032 for cheap?

They are like 2$ for 3 batteries at Dollarama...

DR2K

Banned
I heard if you don't replace the dead battery, the Wii U makes a large beeping sound until you replace it

It'll remind people that they had a Wii U when they rummage through their closet.

Does the internal clock actually matter?

No offense, but this is a very misleading thread title.

This battery is for clock. Stuff like this only needs to be replaced once in 3-5 years. Same goes for GamePad battery.

These batteries can last MUCH longer than that and usually do.

Thread title is misleading, even if it's trying to be funny.

Man these hype/anti-hype WiiU threads are just getting ridiculous.

Not meant to be an anti-hype thread. I'm buying a Deluxe Wii U at launch. Thread title is a bit of a joke in relation to having to do it on the Saturn a few times. As I state in the OP, I doubt we'll ever have to do this. Had no idea the Wii had it as well.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's done this. See Game & Watch:

CIMG9032.jpg

Every device with a clock that runs with the power off needs a battery to keep time. The PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, and Wii should all have batteries. PCs have them, too.

In the GC and Wii's case, it's also removable via a flap.

No offense, but this is a very misleading thread title.

This battery is for clock. Stuff like this only needs to be replaced once in 3-5 years. Same goes for GamePad battery.

I've seen them last past 15 years in PCs.

bill0527

Those things lasted about 8-10 years in the Dreamcast and in the VMUs. I dont think you'll have to worry about anything for a while.

Just be glad they are easily replaceable, unlike the dreamcast, which required you to take the system apart and solder a new battery in.

Rubius

It'll remind people that they had a Wii U when they rummage through their closet.

Does the internal clock actually matter?

Well its probably like a Symos battery. without it, the hardware data cant keep the data. So everytime you will turn off the console, without a battery, the console will lose the time, and any hardware information. Nothing major, since everything except BIOS memory is on SD memory.

Vamphuntr

Those things lasted about 8-10 years in the Dreamcast and in the VMUs. I dont think you'll have to worry about anything for a while.

Just be glad they are easily replaceable, unlike the dreamcast, which required you to take the system apart and solder a new battery in.

The VMU drained the battery within days if you played the mini games on them. But yeah since it's only for a clock here it will last a long time.

Im sure even the PS3 and Xbox run on these for their internal clocks, its just really weird they dedicated so much space in the manual to it hmmmm, wonder if it runs out way faster than others.

Replaceable watch battery to run the clock and system settings? Nintendo must not be planning on replacing the Wii U with a new generation for 10+ years!

Rubius

Im sure even the PS3 and Xbox run on these for their internal clocks, its just really weird they dedicated so much space in the manual to it hmmmm, wonder if it runs out way faster than others.

They probably simply want to go the user friendly way, this way if in 10 years the clock die, they have a section in the manual about how to remove easily the battery. Its a good thing from Nintendo part to make it easier. Easier than on PC or GB at least...

jbueno

Every device with a clock that runs with the power off needs a battery to keep time. The PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, and Wii should all have batteries. PCs have them, too.

I don´t think the 360 has an internal battery for clock settings, every time I plug off my system it resets to 2005 or so, and it has done that since the day I bought it. Further Googling seems to support this.

Danj

It's the same type of battery that's used on computer motherboards to keep BIOS settings and clock settings on PCs. I do like that it's easy to change though, would be cool if computers had that.

They probably simply want to go the user friendly way, this way if in 10 years the clock die, they have a section in the manual about how to remove easily the battery. Its a good thing from Nintendo part to make it easier. Easier than on PC or GB at least...

This makes me even more nervous, you know how hard it is to design an easily replaceable part like that, takes a lot of little stuff which makes the console a bit bigger and harder to produce due to having to deal with these parts.

Its the reason why computers and other devices dont bother and just put it right on the motherboard.

Why would Ninty go to such a great length to make it so easy to change??????

Weird....

Lol, I doubt you'd have to ever replace one... but it's nice that they'd.. do that? Maybe they have the flash slightly staying charged with it? It's odd because flash memory can hold data for like a hundred years, maybe theirs is just cheaper or something. I wouldn't see much use in making it that accessible.

Oh well. The whole thing is just odd and perplexing.

gogogow

I don´t think the 360 has an internal battery for clock settings, every time I plug off my system it resets to 2005 or so, and it has done that since the day I bought it. Further Googling seems to support this.

Yep, same for me, I have a Jasper.

nullset2

Why would it be necessary to "stock up" on batteries, at least right now? It's a goddam clock battery, it costs a minimal amount, and it's barely an issue, if at all, in any modern computer in the world ever.

The thread title is... ugh.

pushneim

Banned
Just ask any computer user how many times they changed the battery on their laptop or desktop and you'll have your answer if you need "stock up" on these batteries or not. Dumb thread title is dumb.

When things go wrong I tend to read the manual, and then buy what I need to replace. But that's just me.
Why would it be necessary to "stock up" on batteries, at least right now? It's a goddam clock battery, it costs a minimal amount, and it's barely an issue, if at all, in any modern computer in the world ever.

The thread title is... ugh.
I guess so you don't have to go outside as much.

iqlB1xyOtAUHw.jpg

Yes, I don't have a 360 or Xbox, so I assumed they had a battery like other systems. A bit of an odd omission, but it's not like most people unplug their consoles anyway, I guess.

(I feel so weird posting the same thing twice in two different threads...)

IMy PC is ten years old or more, never had to replace the battery on the motherboard.

Certain things should be explained in manuals since not everyone is savvy in this kind of stuff and would not know what to do if somethiing like this happened; funnily enough when I have seen people go panicking thinking a PC was broken since it was malfunctioning at boot opening the bios settings screen, since they didn't think/were unaware that the battery had simply run out.

Rubius

This makes me even more nervous, you know how hard it is to design an easily replaceable part like that, takes a lot of little stuff which makes the console a bit bigger and harder to produce due to having to deal with these parts.

Its the reason why computers and other devices dont bother and just put it right on the motherboard.

Why would Ninty go to such a great length to make it so easy to change??????

Weird....

It will lead to less users sending in a Wii U for repair when its only a dead battery. Which result in lowering the number of technician, which create profit.

Top Bottom