• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Futuristic Racing Games: The Complete List

Rattles said:
Sodium 2 on ps Home?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U194szOE7FU&feature=related

Edit: Better gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYDgbapsqi4&feature=related
Was a rumor it was going to get put on the ps store.
So you can play it in Home, but they haven't put it up for sale? Or that's just a demo or something? I'm not quite sure what you mean. If that is a released game though, it should probably go in the list yes, it sure looks like a futuristic racing game to me. I'll need some more details though.

Kenak said:
Aren't you missing Hydro Thunder Hurricane for 360?
Wow, I am. And looking at the list, I didn't even list H2Overdrive in the arcade section either (Raw Thrills' spiritual sequel to Hydro Thunder, sadly an arcade only release)... both definitely should be on the list.

Also, I'm going to add the Sonic Riders series, I just think that it should count (hoverboards...).

-10/16/2011 (additional) - Hydro Thunder Hurricane (X360), H2 Overdrive (Arcade), Sonic Riders (PS2, PC, Xbox, GC), Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (PS2, Wii), Sonic Free Riders (X360 Kinect).

Rattles

A Black Falcon said:
So you can play it in Home, but they haven't put it up for sale? Or that's just a demo or something? I'm not quite sure what you mean. If that is a released game though, it should probably go in the list yes, it sure looks like a futuristic racing game to me. I'll need some more details though.
It's free to play on home. They just nickel an dime you on the customization side. "things like better boosters, paints, other crap"

Rattles said:
It's free to play on home. They just nickel an dime you on the customization side. "things like better boosters, paints, other crap"
Ah, okay. I'll add it then.

Done.
10/17/2011 - Sodium 2 (PS Home for PS3) - free to play with pay DLC game in Playstation Home for the PS3. I'll put it in the PSN section, with a note it's in Home.

Speed Challenge: Jacques Villeneuve's Racing Vision is PS2, Gamecube and PC only.

Your list has an entry for in on the Xbox, which did not have a version of it.

Found one to definitely add: Star Speeder, for the Epoch Super Cassette Vision, a Japan-only console from 1984. I'll need to add the console and the game. The game actually looks pretty fun. Nice visuals for a third gen game too. I've added the game to the list, and the system too.

Also, I found this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6c4elSgajg Shooter/rail shooter, or racing game with combat? It's kind of in between... (it's Stealth, for the C64/Atari 8-bit) I won't count it for now because it seems to mostly be about shooting, and you don't have a time limit (just a timer that counts up) or opponents you're racing against, just a goal, but it does give you the idea of driving down a path.

Celine

Drome Racers got a GBA outing too

0001.jpg

Oh yeah, how could I forget that one... that's an interesting game too. Great flat-shaded look. :)

Added the GBA version of Drome Racers (which is a different game from the PC/PS2/Xbox/GC title).

consoul

Future GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity
&
Future GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 2

Both Japan-exclusive PS2 titles.

consoul said:
Future GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity
&
Future GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 2

Both Japan-exclusive PS2 titles.
Looking up the series, I see that there are a whole lot of games in this franchise, only two of which, the SNES game (under its US title, Cyber Spin; that's the only game in the franchise with a release outside of Japan) and the PSP one, are on my list... it seems that there's a GB game, four PS2 games, and GC game to add. There's also a PS1 game, but it's apparently actually a visual novel, not a racing game, so that's not going in the list. The rest seem to be racing games though. I assume the GC game is an original title, not a port.

So, today's additions now are, so far:
11/7/2011 - Added Star Speeder and the Super Cassette Vision console that it is for, and the GBA version of Drome Racers (which is a different game from the PC/PS2/Xbox/GC title). Also added most of the Cyber Formula series; only two of the eight racing games in the series were in the list. The six new ones are Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula (GB), Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity (PS2), Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 2 (PS2), Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 3 (PS2), Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Infinity 4 (PS2), Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Road to the Evolution (GC).

vinyne said:
Wipeout 2048, Ben 10 Galactic Racing and InMomentum need to be added to the list
Wipeout 2048's not out yet... you mean I should add it to the "upcoming" list? Yeah, that's true, I should.

Ben 10 Galactic Racing - I mentioned this in my previous update, just before it launched. The idea and settings are futuristic, but it technically isn't set in the future... it probably should count anyway, but that did make me a little hesitant.

Haven't heard of InMomentum. Looks like it was just recently released... what is it exactly?

FreeMufasa said:
Anyone remember the Star Wars pod racer for the N64? Loved it.
I wanted to like it, but it's so ridiculously hard that it stops being fun after a while...

First -- Nitronic Rush (the really cool, recently released PC freeware game) definitely must be added.

Also, yeah, Ben 10 Galactic Racing really should be on the list. I'm not entirely sure if the franchise is actually set in the future, but the alien cultures are all futuristic, certainly, and that should decide it.

In addition, so I looked up InMomentum. I'm not sure whether it should be there or not... it's a very stylized platform racing game, essentially -- you have to get to the end of a level and then compare your times with other peoples'. Everything is all made of cubes and stuff, but is that futuristic or stylized? And also, should it count as more of a platformer, or a racing game? It's in between really. See this video for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsi_DvFNFhI The official site does describe it as a sci-fi racing game, though, so I guess it should count, even if it's kind of borderline for sure.

So, here's the additions:
11/15/2011 - Added Ben 10 Galactic Racing (DS/3DS/PS3/360/Wii), Nitronic Rush (freeware PC game), InMomentum (PC DD platform/racer). Ben 10 Galactic Racing is a kart racer style game set in the cartoon franchise. Nitronic Rush is a pretty awesome timetrial racing game with some Rush series influence, along with other things like the platformer-ish levels in Rollcage, etc.

So, in the Origin sale this week, while going through the titles (and deciding to probably not get any; I don't have an Origin account yet, and don't know if I want one), I ran into a futuristic racing game I'd never heard of, Death Road for the PC. Looking it up, the game was released in 2012, and like many other titles like it, had a European-only physical release, and a worldwide (or US/EU at least) digital release. The game is on Origin and GamersGate, of the major online stores (that is, the ones I've checked and that are on the list).

As you will see if you look at the last entry in this changelog, I've also done some more improvements while looking at the list today -- I added categories for a bunch of missing digital-download platforms such as the PSP's PSN store (four of the five PSP futuristic racing games are on it, too, and one got its only US release there), and some that don't have any futuristic games that I know of yet but should be there anyway, such as DSiWare (does it have some I don't know of?), 3DS eShop (same question), 3DS Virtual Console (it's only a matter of time until it gets some...), the Wii U (physical category), Wii U eShop (digital), and Wii U Virtual Console (digital, has F-Zero).

Finally, on a Wii U note, what about Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? Those games are pretty much fantasy stuff, from the land of Mario Kart, so they are not clearly futuristic like the Sonic Riders games, which are on this list, are... but they have some obvious futuristic elements, too. So yeah, not sure about what to do with those.

Here's the changelog since the last time the thread was bumped. The stuff up to 10/2012 had mostly been added (I didn't bump the thread, but did add most of that stuff), but the ones from past 10/2012 are new to this thread with this update today, as is the 5/2012 update. The dates below are for when I added those games to the list on my computer.
5/22/2012 - Added 360: Three Sixty (PS1, Europe only), Bugriders: The Race of Kings (PS1, US/EU only). Bugriders might not really fit here; the game is fantasy themed, on a strange alien world, but isn't really clearly futuristic, I think. I'm not sure if it should be here, but it's definitely not set on Earth anyway.
6/3/2012 - Added Cubix Robots for Everyone: Race 'N Robots (PS1 and GBC)
9/2/2012 - Added Rocket Coaster (LaserActive Sega PAC) - racing game with fantasy, adventure, and future settings. The cars look futuristic in all three sets of tracks though.
9/6/2012 - Added Future Racer, aka Defeat Lightning (PS1).
10/2/2012 - Added Mac Digital Downloads category with the Mac version of Laser Dolphin, Tasty Static, and Mars Explorer in it. Added Linux Digital Downloads category with Tasty Static and H-Craft in it.
11/5/2012 - Added the Cybiko/Cybiko Xtreme handhelds and the free game Galaxy Racers for it (it's a rail shooter/racing game cross)
11/17/2012 - Added Armada F/X Racers for Game Boy Color. It's a mediocre racing game spinoff of the good Dreamcast topdown spaceship action/strategy title.
12/13/2012 - Added Wipeout 2048 for Playstation Vita, and the console. Also added Crazy Chicken: Star Karts for the DS. It's a quite bad, low-budget game, as with all Crazy Chicken titles, but it exists. Expect bad space Mario Kart. Removed Jeff Gordon's XS Racing for PS1, because it doesn't exist -- the console ports of that game were never released, it's a PC-only game.
2/2/2013 - Added Speed King (JP title), aka Road Rage (EU title), for the Playstation and Arcades. It's a Konami game in the style of Wipeout. No US release.
3/19/2013 - Added Death Road (PC and PC DD) - Another European futuristic racing game. The game released in 2012, but I didn't hear about it until just now. It's on Origin and GamersGate, online; physical was Europe-only.
3/20/2013 - Removed X-Car (PC), because really it's not futuristic. I also added PSP PSN (digital), Vita PSN (digital), DSiWare (digital), 3DS eShop (digital), 3DS Virtual Console (digital), and Wii U, Wii U eShop (digital), and Wii U Virtual Console (digital) categories. All the Wii U has so far is F-Zero for VC, but there'll be more sometime I'm sure. There are no games in most those categories, but four of the five PSP games here do have digital-download releases on the PSP PSN, so that's cool. One, StateShift, was only released in the US on PSN -- the physical release was Europe-only. Of the five though, only the Japan-exclusive one (Shinseki GPX Cyber Formula) doesn't have a download release. Note that I slightly changed the formatting -- I removed the (disc) labels that had been on the Wii and X360, and instead mark digital-only categories with a (digital) marker. For the purposes of the + or * notes -- that is, for purposes of exclusivity -- I do not consider the digital and physical categories for each platform to be different platforms, so games still get a * if they available on both physical and digital for a system, but aren't on any other systems. Midway Arcade Treasures 3, Jet X2O, and Downforce were also added to the "extreme" but modern-day list. I know that list is missing a lot of stuff that could be there, but those do belong, and now have been added. Finally, I updated the PC Digital Downloads category. Origin and Amazon have been added, and GameFly has replaced Direct2Drive since they bought the service. I checked most of those games on most of those services, to see that the listings are correct, and added ones that were missing, such as all of Amazon's listings, the one on Origin, a few new ones for other services, etc. I also removed one or two D2D games that GameFly doesn't have anymore.

Defeat Lightning is such a cool name... weird, but cool. "Future Racer", in comparison, is quite a bland title. The gameplay, though, looks like fun, if low-budget, stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYz4eX94778 Tube sections! Cool. I might want to import this sometime.

On another note, of course I also updated the list by bolding games I've bought since the last time I'd updated it, so games like Moto Roader (TG16), Hot Wheels Turbo Racing (N64), and some others are bold now.

Oh yeah, how did I manage to forget that? I did back that, but failed to remember it while updating this list yesterday and today. Well, that's been corrected, I added Distance to the "upcoming games" list. Thanks for the reminder. :) The game is indeed looking fantastic!

New update, about cellphone stuff mostly.

5/25/2013 - Added the Wipeout-inspired Flashout 3D (iOS, Android, Ouya) to the Mobile category, and added Flashout 3D (PC, Mac) and Energy Hook (PC, Mac, Linux) to Upcoming. Energy Hook is a game about going around with a jetpack and Spiderman-style line, in the future; it'll apparently have some racing modes, as well as stunt and such. Also added Repulze (iOS/Android), another Wipeout-inspired game, and Skyriders (Android/iOS) to the Mobile list as well. Skyriders looks like sort of like Skyroads with a bit of Monkey Ball mixed in, so it's sort of a platform/racing game.

Looking at other Android games, I see Zaxxon Escape (iOS/Android) listed as one, but really that's an endless runner in a ship. I can't quite call that a racing game... any opinions? It's borderline, I think. On a related note, Speed Racer: The Beginning (iOS) is also more of a platform-runner. You technically control a car, but all you do is jump over gaps and such. I don't quite think it should count...

Finally, As for the Ouya though, it's Android powered, but it's pretty much a console... should it be in consoles instead of Mobile?

Top Bottom