• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-A-F? 14 year-old girl charged with baby murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida teen Cassidy Goodison, 14, charged with first degree murder after she strangles newborn baby

j0VOGwcRYywOR.png

A pregnant fourteen-year-old girl secretly delivered her baby with a pair of scissors in the family bathroom before throttling the boy to death and hiding the body in a shoe box.

Cassidy Goodison, 14, has been charged as an adult with first degree murder after police learned how she killed her child following months of fearfully disguising her pregnancy from her mother and father.

Her harrowing case has shocked even experienced officers and graphically illustrates the problems of the 750,000 teenage Americans who fall pregnant every year.

Goodison went into labor in her home in Greenbrier Village, Florida on September 19 and instead of calling for help, disguised her screams of pain by running the tap and gripping a towel between her teeth as she sat on the toilet.

After prising the 9.5lb boy form her body with a pair of scissors, she felt for a pulse and then strangled the boy to death and hid his corpse in a shoe box with dirty laundry.

Three days later, as Teresa Goodson cleaned her daughter's room, a foul odour drew her attention to a pile of soiled, wet clothes in which she found the deceased infant hidden in a box.

An autopsy performed determined the victim was a full term infant and that he was alive and breathing prior to death. He died as a result of asphyxia from strangulation and blunt force trauma.

Miss Goodson had gone to great lengths to hide the transformation of her 5ft 3in 100lb body during pregnancy, according to Polk County officials.

Throughout the summer, as she walked around in baggy sweat pant and loose-fitting T-shirts.

Members of her family grew suspicious of her appearance and attempted to discuss the possibility she was pregnant with the teen's mother.

But Mrs Goodson denied the suggestions, said the report, claiming that she had made her daughter do two home tests, albeit in the privacy of her bathroom, which both came out negative.

Husband Timothy Goodson agreed meanwhile that he had noticed Miss Goodson's weight gain and that she had been walking around at home wrapped in a blanket.

An interview with the teenager on September 22 revealed that after the 14-year-old had delivered the 9.5lb, 20.4in boy into the toilet, she had felt for a pulse and then strangled him to death.

Confirming he was dead by once again checking his pulse, she then cleaned herself and the baby and tucked the evidence out of sight.

Shortly after, however, Mrs Goodson noticed blood in the toilet she knew had been recently used by her daughter so took her to Lakeland Regional Medical Center.

There medical staff treating the high school student told Mrs Goodson that she had suffered a miscarriage and showed four to five lacerations on her vaginal wall.
Medical drama: After the teen's mother saw blood in the toilet shortly after, they went to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where staff believed she had suffered a miscarriage

Medical drama: After the teen's mother saw blood in the toilet shortly after, they went to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where staff believed she had suffered a miscarriage

Though these injuries were in reality self-inflicted when the teenager had pried the baby out of her with a pair of scissors, she falsely confessed to her mother that she had indeed had a miscarriage at home and flushed the fetus down the toilet by mistake.

Polk County Sheriff's Office deputies, along with members of the Department of Children and Families responded to a call from the hospital reporting the case and details were retained by the PCSO Bureau of Criminal Investigations for follow up investigations.

According to the Sheriff's Office affidavit, on the evening of September 22, at approximately 7.30pm, Mrs Goodson removed a bag of smelly, wet clothing from a storage stool in her daughter's bedroom.

While sorting through the clothing she found the body of the baby concealed in the shoe box.

In a panic, Mrs Goodson called her sisters who in turn alerted the police.

Miss Goodson told detectives she was motivated to hide her pregnancy and choke the baby 'to stop him from breathing,' by the fear that her relationship with her parents would change if they found out the truth.

Miss Goodson was arrested on Thursday and transported first to the Juvenile Assessment Center and then to the Polk County Juvenile Detention Facility.

She is charged with Premeditated First Degree Murder, a capital felony and Aggravated Child Abuse, a first degree felony.

Polk County Public Information officer, Donna Wood, told MailOnline: This is the most perplexing, confusing, disheartening case I've ever seen in my 18 years on this job. Everyone has been touched by it.'
http://www.gadailynews.com/news/cri...-murder-after-she-strangles-newborn-baby.html

FillerB

So why didn't she get an abortion since as a 14-year old she would have been in no position to take care of the child being one herself? Oh... That would have been also been murder, right?

Fireblend

Banned
How in the world does a 14 year old hide the fact that she's pregnant =/ no matter how baggy her clothes were, her parents were clearly in denial, specially if people approached them to discuss that possibility. Another argument for implementing parenting licenses.

Ugh.

Steelrain

So why didn't she get an abortion since as a 14-year old she would have been in no position to take care of the child being one herself? Oh... That would have been also been murder, right?

I'm guessing her family wasn't very understanding when it comes to those things.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How do you not know if your 14 yr old daughter is pregnant? Holy shit...

aku:jiki

How does her plan end with just stuffing the baby in a box and leaving it in her closet? That kind of shit confuses me deeply.

marrec

Banned
How does her plan end with just stuffing the baby in a box and leaving it in her closet? That kind of shit confuses me deeply.

A 14 year old killing their own baby probably didn't have a very well thought out plan, the emotional trauma involved in something like that makes for a rather short-sighted murder methinks.

She's a kid. She was probably scared shitless.

Way to succinctly sum up my post.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Good lord the parents were complete idiots. This is what happens when you can't accept your children aren't little angels, they simply didn't want to see what was staring them in the face.

web01

I wish this wasn't posted made me feel physically sick.
Alot of fail by everyone involved included the parents.

Sad. I really can't understand her being charged as an adult and facing life in prison. What she did was wrong and sick, but sending a 14 year old away for life....

TrutaS

It's time someone blames Farmville for this. You know, because I'm sure she has never played Quake in her life.

On a serious note, 14 is a tricky age to judge. Personality traits are not yet defined,the frontal lobe isn't yet completely formed, so she might be considered inimputable.

Kinyou

This is horrible, but I don't understand why she's tried as adult. It's obvious how afraid she apparently was of her parents, so afraid how only a teenager can be.

Bazza

Sad. I really can't understand her being charged as an adult and facing life in prison. What she did was wrong and sick, but sending a 14 year old away for life....

Although what she did is pretty horrific i have to agree, it seems like what she did was out of fear rather than a premeditated plan to kill her child. Better education and parenting could have avoided this.

Her being charged as an adult seems very extreme.

So the solution is to potentially take care of a 14 year old girl for the rest of her life for this murder? Or will they give her the death penalty? I find it hard to believe that a 14 year old is beyond redemtion at such a young age. Why aren't her parents held accountable? You can't vote or drink but you can be charged as an adult in court. Something isn't right...

The Dark One

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This story is just so surreal in such a horrifying way. First of all, somehow passing off at fourteen that she was pregnant without actually 'getting caught'. Secondly, somehow this fourteen year old is able to successfully give birth by herself in her bathroom with scissors and somehow disguise it from her folks and having the willpower at such a young age to try to keep this a secret to keep herself from 'getting into trouble'. And finally, to be so heartless and selfish and just... Terrible, to take your own child you just birthed yourself and strangle it and just stuff it away...

It takes some weird mix of screwed-up things to pull this off; obliviousness from others, part heartless evil genius on her part, part idiocy and just horrifying determination on her part.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Florida.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So the solution is to potentially take care of a 14 year old girl for the rest of her life for this murder? Or will they give her the death penalty? I find it hard to believe that a 14 year old is beyond redemtion at such a young age. Why aren't her parents held accountable? You can't vote or drink but you can be charged as an adult in court. Something isn't right...

The Dark One

We have over 6 billion people.

It's not worth spending resources to keep one of them alive that chooses to strangle a baby. Think how many struggling students that could be helped with the pile of money a death sentence or life in prison could help? You know actually improve society.

Too bad death penalty ends up costing more than life in most cases.

beje

Banned
I wonder what kind of things somebody have to go through in order to being so terrified of adults knowing that you're pregnant that you end up doing this out of pure panic. Really sad story.

Two camps: One that understands that it was still a 14 year old with some serious issues.
The other wants nothing but lock her up forever or even death penalty.

Stet

Banned
With a pair of fucking scissors. I can't get over that. It shows a complete disregard for her own safety, which means she's really sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom