• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair since then he produced Clique which was huge, as well as smaller noteworthy shit like Backstreet Freestyle, 1Train, and Flawless (for Beyonce). Sounds come and go, especially with producers (remember Boi-1da yall?), but all it takes is one record to come back. Most of Mustard's shit sounds the same: it's just a more synthy, Bay flavored version of what Mike Will does, what Mike Zombie did with Started From The Bottom, etc.

We're still seeing trap evolve, basically, but not by much. I'm not hating on Mustard, I really like Act Right for instance. But everytime I hear it I swear I hear the lil audio stamp saying "Mike...Mike...Mike" just like a Mike Will beat.

I never felt Hit-boi's beats sounded too much alike. I don't know if its that he got stale or because he tried to push his own rap career and try to be the next Kanye, but ended up releasing a very mediocre project that nobody really cared for. What happened to Lex Luger tho

mooooose

hit boy is a great producer. he doesnt have a sound but hes pretty progressive and just has a great ear

he fucked up by trying to be kanye and leaving kanye

DominoKid

I never felt Hit-boi's beats sounded too much alike. I don't know if its that he got stale or because he tried to push his own rap career and try to be the next Kanye, but ended up releasing a very mediocre project that nobody really cared for. What happened to Lex Luger tho

Lex still does a lot of shit. It's not like he fell off the earth. His sound just ran it's course in the mainstream. I wonder if he can hit a second wave of popularity.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On that note, who do you guys feel is the next "big" producer? Seems like Mike WiLL has the best hook ups at the moment but I'm not exactly sure if he has staying power. I don't just mean flavour of the year or two years, but someone who can build a legacy.

To be fair since then he produced Clique which was huge, as well as smaller noteworthy shit like Backstreet Freestyle, 1Train, and Flawless (for Beyonce). Sounds come and go, especially with producers (remember Boi-1da yall?), but all it takes is one record to come back. Most of Mustard's shit sounds the same: it's just a more synthy, Bay flavored version of what Mike Will does, what Mike Zombie did with Started From The Bottom, etc.

We're still seeing trap evolve, basically, but not by much. I'm not hating on Mustard, I really like Act Right for instance. But everytime I hear it I swear I hear the lil audio stamp saying "Mike...Mike...Mike" just like a Mike Will beat.

Well Bo1da did do the language and pound cake recently both were pretty big but outside of drake he's not doing much.

ec18c876977611e38ab00a925486cf33_8.jpg

PBY

Banned
On that note, who do you guys feel is the next "big" producer? Seems like Mike WiLL has the best hook ups at the moment but I'm not exactly sure if he has staying power. I don't just mean flavour of the year or two years, but someone who can build a legacy.
La flame

STRAIGHT UP

iavi

Gunna be on that Titanfall beta for PC after the All Star game if anyone else is down. Origin ID: Macca007

We're about to have enough for a whole Gaf-hop squad here. My Origin ID is Miri_Coacha. I'll add you.

Too many producers bit his style before he had a chance to cement his sound.

From what I gather, Lex didn't want to be type-casted. Felt like he diversified and stopped pressing forward with his trap sound at a pivotal moment for it. Artistically happy, financially hurt.

That said, it's speculation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
its kinda sad hes doing stuff with rl grime, dont like the melding of edm and hip hop, never results in anything good
ends up being frat college party etc fodder
I think there is room for EDM Trap. TNGHT seems to be doing good, though Kanye seems to be one of the only ones to have harnessed that right.

iavi

I think there is room for EDM Trap. TNGHT seems to be doing good, though Kanye seems to be one of the only ones to have harnessed that right.

By bringing in Hudmo to clean up, on the production side of things. And as a vocalist, I don't think Kanye knows how to go over an edm trap beat for anything. Blood on the Leaves was shit.

As much flak as side B of Old catches, Danny does EDM right. I go on record: Throw on Dip or Break it (GO) in the whip and everybody in that thing'll wild out.

----

What do you guys think of Cashmere Cat as a hip-hop producer?

https://soundcloud.com/cashmerecat/partygirls

For his output, I dug the hell out of his first ep, think the most recent one, Wedding Bells, is a directionless mess, but when focused for an artist, the dude aces. That Luda track stays in rotation.

Who knows man. Could be a flash in the pan type thing that the people would love. Nostalgia for the 90s is at all time highs right now.

I can just imagine my brother 36 Chambers with 10 Internet Explorer pages up playing .wav files and downloading The Blueprint off Kazaa.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
did ya guys know will smiths latest IMDB update was this movie

with the ever relevant Colin Farrell and Mr. Smith gets to play the devil! What a courageous role choice for the actor "slash" rapper.

4. Will Smith plays the Devil.
No, really. When Soames goes to visit “the Judge,” it turns out to be Lucifer ... played by Will Smith. At my screening, his introduction was drowned out by a sea of stifled laughs and a few seemingly genuine gasps. And while Soames has some creepy scars on his face that imply his villainy, the scariest thing about Smith’s Lucifer is that he wears two tiny (but distracting!) hoop earrings. There’s also a part where he gets angry and his mouth opens wide revealing teeth that resemble those of one of the creatures from Where the Wild Things Are.

incredibly relevant.

IrishNinja

catchin up...still aint clear on what happened with our man ace but i'm not too pleased

OTX is basically finished, brohirrim. Expect something more minimalist overall. People want our old shit, read our old topics. Gaffers stuck on old shit, gafhop makes the blueprint.

GAF-Hop |OT X| Presented by Samsung

Bout to be an overrated and highly plagiarized OT

but everybody's dupin the flow, you seen em

The trailer for the movie with RZA and Paul Walker :( looked pretty dope..

somehow i totally missed this

catchin up...still aint clear on what happened with our man ace but i'm not too pleased

but everybody's dupin the flow, you seen em

somehow i totally missed this
I saw the trailer when watching Ride Along. The XMen, Need for Speed and 3 days to Kill trailers looked good too.

exarkun

Just caught up on the last few pages and...

Lex Luger is still doing beats? Does he just do the trap beats that all sound the same of the MMG mixtapes and Ross's last album? Swear he hasn't made music in a year or so.

And lets not play...Ross still hasn't beaten 50. Maybe music-wise, yea. Money tho? 50 is still killing it. And like its been said, all that beef was just gimmick shit. But maybe not the stuff with Young Buck or Ja. Those ninjas must have had relations with his mother cause he buried their asses.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just caught up on the last few pages and...

Lex Luger is still doing beats? Does he just do the trap beats that all sound the same of the MMG mixtapes and Ross's last album? Swear he hasn't made music in a year or so.

And lets not play...Ross still hasn't beaten 50. Maybe music-wise, yea. Money tho? 50 is still killing it. And like its been said, all that beef was just gimmick shit. But maybe not the stuff with Young Buck or Ja. Those ninjas must have had relations with his mother cause he buried their asses.

Lex just produced a nice mixtape for a dude forgot his name.. wasn't feeling him but beats were on point he also quietly did some quality work in 2013..

All I blow is Loud is a Lex beat

The 50 beef was pretty deep man.. 50 was in dude's house..

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Once upon a time there was a boy who thought he was a king. One day, one of his subjects sent a raven to ask for assistance in slaying the barbaric hordes of basketbolivia that he had provoked with repeated mockery and foolishness.
When this boyking tried to tame the hordes of their rather animated and aggressive behavior towards each other, he found himself most distressed over their refusal to drop their weapons and pay tribute. In his distress, he summoned his king of kings to help smite the leaders of this rambunctious horde. However the man who kept watch of these realms was not pleased with such an aggressive invasion and attack on his lands and peoples. And so he made a stand.
"This here be my realm to rule, and we have prospered and grown for many generations without your interference oh boyking and king of kings. Allow us to continue, and I shall attempt to calm the masses for I know these men and women, but you sirs are strangers in a strange land. We are a good people but are wary of outsiders who know not of our customs and ways."
"NO!" declared the boyking and his king of kings. "We cannot allow this, we must have these men dance the dance of orange and gray. They must pay their tribute and show their civility before the eyes of our court. Without their obedience and love, we shall shrivel and die and our power will be no more."

And so the watcher of the realm was taken in chains and exiled for his bravery in standing before the armies of the boyking and his king of kings. Now he wanders the land as one of the peons so loathed by the very men he once called peers.

Blackace

Once upon a time there was a boy who thought he was a king. One day, one of his subjects sent a raven to ask for assistance in slaying the barbaric hordes of basketbolivia that he had provoked with repeated mockery and foolishness.
When this boyking tried to tame the hordes of their rather animated and aggressive behavior towards each other, he found himself most distressed over their refusal to drop their weapons and pay tribute. In his distress, he summoned his king of kings to help smite the leaders of this rambunctious horde. However the man who kept watch of these realms was not pleased with such an aggressive invasion and attack on his lands and peoples. And so he made a stand.
"This here be my realm to rule, and we have prospered and grown for many generations without your interference oh boyking and king of kings. Allow us to continue, and I shall attempt to calm the masses for I know these men and women, but you sirs are strangers in a strange land. We are a good people but are wary of outsiders who know not of our customs and ways."
"NO!" declared the boyking and his king of kings. "We cannot allow this, we must have these men dance the dance of orange and gray. They must pay their tribute and show their civility before the eyes of our court. Without their obedience and love, we shall shrivel and die and our power will be no more."

And so the watcher of the realm was taken in chains and exiled for his bravery in standing before the armies of the boyking and his king of kings. Now he wanders the land as one of the peons so loathed by the very men he once called peers.

lol

most def the best summary I have seen, yet!

Blackace

Ace whens your collabo mix tape dropping?

I should have DJ KAZUKI's half in a few days.. That dude goes in..

Once I get the artwork done I will post it here for y'all

we going to be selling it in Japan but y'all have had my back since day1

Esch

Banned

You didn't just drop this in the last 50 posts man. this is a classic
laff.gif

Cheddahz

Banned

tumblr_lzo33hfa681qe8379o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mjcr31lItt1re1cd5o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom