• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hampig

Screenshot saturday! Somewhere in the world it´s still saturday, right? :p

When you reach the end of the level Kitsune will perform different animations depending on the number and types of collectibles you´ve found. But if you don´t find anything at all...well, she won´t be happy:
kkonVmY.gif

The red crosses are placeholders until I find out some other effect I like.

I gotta ask, I've seen your game on here for quite a while and it looks great, but the idle animation always bothers me. The way you can clearly see the end of the loop, is that animation incomplete or is that intentional?

correojon

I gotta ask, I've seen your game on here for quite a while and it looks great, but the idle animation always bothers me. The way you can clearly see the end of the loop, is that animation incomplete or is that intentional?

Yeah it´s a poor attempt on my part to have a fast and snappy animation :p I´ve always intended to redo it, but I wanted to learn more about animation before attempting it. As it will be one of the most used animations in the game it needs to be very good and my skills clearly weren´t up to the task, so I´m leaving this for later once I suck less at animating XD (same goes for most of the basic movement animations).

Pehesse

Hey Gaf!
So the game I've been working (and showed a few pages ago) is finally released on iOS!
It's my very first "official" game, so it feels a bit weird. I really hope you guys enjoy it if you happen to buy it.

My friend (and dev) went through hell to deal with Apple Tax agreements and all, but we managed to find a way ^^

The game is called Highway Runners : a retro arcade inspired racing game.

Official Screens :
screen520x924.jpeg

screen520x924.jpeg

AppStore link : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id964932741

Youtube trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcufV2Qfzg

Thanks all for your advices!

Congrats! Not much of a racing player myself, but it does look very good :-D

Not sure, but thanks for pointing it out all the same!

==

PassionateEnviousGiantschnauzer.gif

This is probably the last new move showcase of the year for me! Now I'll be focusing on tweaking all of that, and adding a few systems (just added a super placeholder-y early rough WIP version of the health representation through colored backgrounds) and taking into account a few fringe scenarios (for instance, edge climbing without enough climb space on top). Last sprint before the winter break, gogogo!

friken

added AOE burn effect to the phased running power

it may be OP at this point.. I'll determine that as time goes

been a while since I've been checking this indie through... but this is looking great. How close to you think you are now to shipping the game?

KOCMOHABT

Hi guys

If you use Monogame, XNA or derivatives - I've made a simple bloom filter for you to use.

You can find a sample application (basically just drawing an image) and several configurations in the git link below, for the actual integration you just need the BloomFilter.cs and Bloom.fx (the shader) file.

Maybe someone will find this useful.

The implementation is based on high-quality bloom in Unreal Engine4 and Call of Duty, it's pretty robust I'd say.

But that doesn't mean it's only for 3d, 2d is actually the intended way for the sample configuration.

If you work in HDR you might have to change the rendertargets to a more precise format and consequently in the shader for the extract, too.

https://github.com/UncleThomy/BloomFilter-for-Monogame-and-XNA

ZServ

Hey Gaf!
So the game I've been working (and showed a few pages ago) is finally released on iOS!
It's my very first "official" game, so it feels a bit weird. I really hope you guys enjoy it if you happen to buy it.

I'm actually interested in this. Wish I had an iOS device, but c'est la vie. :) Good luck!

Yeah it´s a poor attempt on my part to have a fast and snappy animation :p I´ve always intended to redo it, but I wanted to learn more about animation before attempting it. As it will be one of the most used animations in the game it needs to be very good and my skills clearly weren´t up to the task, so I´m leaving this for later once I suck less at animating XD (same goes for most of the basic movement animations).

For the stage end animations, might I suggest exaggerating them a bit more? Maybe draw some typical emotive symbols? Like if you fail, a water drop that slides down the characters head to indicate disappointment, for example. Or when he falls, a "poof" animation for dust. Doesn't have to even be accurate to the level or whatever, just some moving particles for a frame or two.

KawaiiRaptor

Neo Member
I dunno exactly the rules of screenshot saturday if we're allowed to put in concepts or sketches. But blah, I pushed them anyway

Anyway, for funsies, here are the first three early sketches of some of the divinities you can summon. All based on celtic deities (Cernunnos, Belenos and Belisama)7

PS: Better viewing experience if you listen to this at the same time

d0cc50622f.jpg

6f6efe0211.jpg

14fd2702ff.jpg

These are aaaaaaawesome. Not sure if you're familiar with the work of Yoshitaka Amano (the Final Fantasy logo artist), but I'm really getting that vibe from your work.

missile

Hey.... yeah... life has taken a few (dozen) left turns in the last year+.... but I'm back at it. I will get StartDiver done this lifetime or next.
Good to have you back. Hope you stick around this time. :)

Edit:
Btw; What happened? One or two stories will be fine. ;)

correojon

Hey Gaf!

My friend (and dev) went through hell to deal with Apple Tax agreements and all, but we managed to find a way ^^

The game is called Highway Runners : a retro arcade inspired racing game.

Official Screens :
screen520x924.jpeg

screen520x924.jpeg

AppStore link : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id964932741

Youtube trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcufV2Qfzg

I don´t own any Apple device, but this looks awesome! Watching those screens instantly gave me memories of playing OutRun many, many years ago :') Any plans for an Android release?

PassionateEnviousGiantschnauzer.gif

This is probably the last new move showcase of the year for me! Now I'll be focusing on tweaking all of that, and adding a few systems (just added a super placeholder-y early rough WIP version of the health representation through colored backgrounds) and taking into account a few fringe scenarios (for instance, edge climbing without enough climb space on top). Last sprint before the winter break, gogogo!
Awesome work as always, your animation skills are sick. I like a lot all the variety of attack moves the Warrior has. Great showcase of snapy animations (when hitting with the weapon) and more fluid ones (like when throwing the disk).

For the stage end animations, might I suggest exaggerating them a bit more? Maybe draw some typical emotive symbols? Like if you fail, a water drop that slides down the characters head to indicate disappointment, for example. Or when he falls, a "poof" animation for dust. Doesn't have to even be accurate to the level or whatever, just some moving particles for a frame or two.

The sweat drop is an awesome suggestion, I´ll definitely be using it. For the more "happy" animations I intend using additional effects like confetti falling from the top of the stage, or even disco lights for very very happy moments :)
The "dust" when landing is a great idea as well, in fact it´s already in the game and it´s floor dependant. For example, landing on the pink-yellow blocks will send some pink petals flying around. But I had totally forgotten about adding something to the goal floor, so thanks for pointing it out! I´ll add something for when Kitsune jumps down too.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Hi all! My studio released our first title yesterday. It's called Matchbox, it's a world puzzle game and we're all very pleased to finally have *made a thing*, as it were. If you like word games at all, please give it a go. It's a new spin on word puzzles and we like to think it plays quite nicely. It's on Android only for the moment due to the Apple Dev License being a bit much for us right now.

Link in the image below.

missile

Implemented a simple auto-focus system and some markers to show the bounds
of the depth of field (DOF). Quite helpful for debugging. The red, green, and
blue lines do bound the DOF depending on focal length, aperture, coc, bla bla
bla. The green line marks the plane currently in sharp focus. The yellow one
is the plane you wanna bring into focus. Because to auto-focus takes a little
bit of time, and since there is also some inertia to it, I implemented that
using the same filter talked about last time. There are actually two more
lines (not visible) indicating the hyperfocal distance as well as hyperfocal
distance/2, yet those lines are far away for the given setting. I'm also
currently tweaking the defocus itself (not shown, yet). For, I came to realize
that slightly randomizing a large dither pattern my lead to some interesting
results to mimic a good pixelized defocussing blur. Will see.

93G2hJv.gif

O4LSBuP.gif

clashfan

What are your thoughts on monogame engine? I noticed it wasn't in the OP so not sure if that means its just not supported or no recommended.

Monogame is not an engine, it's a framework. You use it to build your game engine. It's a opensource version for MS XNA framework. It's great if you more on the developer side of the fence. By building your own engine you have more control but it's alot more work. I personally love it but it' not for everyone. For designers or artist it maybe easier to start with a game engine like Unity or Gamemaker.

MrForgetful

Neo Member
Hey gaf,
So I lurk in this thread a lot and love seeing all the cool stuff that people are working on so thought I'd finally post the game I've been working on.

It's basically a shoot 'em up bullet hell kind of game but with world of warcraft style boss fights.
I put it up on greenlight today so you can check it out there and hopefully if you like what you see you vote yes :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802844010

And obviously any feedback is greatly appreciated.

friken

Hey gaf,
So I lurk in this thread a lot and love seeing all the cool stuff that people are working on so thought I'd finally post the game I've been working on.

It's basically a shoot 'em up bullet hell kind of game but with world of warcraft style boss fights.
I put it up on greenlight today so you can check it out there and hopefully if you like what you see you vote yes :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802844010

And obviously any feedback is greatly appreciated.

looks fun... love good old shooters

missile

Looks awful with the blanked TV border. On a technical note; you should at
least try to copy part of the screen over there and blur it somewhat to fake
some reflection of it. Will look much cooler that way.

...... divorce....
Oh man, that's odd! Was the game development process (success/failure/whatever)
part of the situation?

Well, I know at least some girls/wives getting stressed the fast way if it
takes forever so to speak. If they have no ties in gamedev, I think the only
thing that counts for many of them (and many others) is just the end result
(money, success, basically). Yet the problem with gamedev is that it only
comes together in the very end, and 90% is about the process. And there is no
guarantee having any bigger success at all. So, thumbs up to all those wives
going though that process with their man (and vise versa, of course).
Gamedeving though a relationship can be hard. A topic not much talked about,
I guess.

Edit:
Fun dropping a lander through lightning storms

l0MYT0PSqzURDkRqM.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCw6BaWRqSw
Yeah, looks pretty cool. Was watching the stream a little. :+

missile

I finally gave all my internal camera parameters some physical meaning, being
now able to express what's happening in the language of a photographer like
f-stop, focal length etc. matching what's seen on the screen to some degree.

I tried to get a setting where one can see all the DOF quantities of interest,
like the bounds of the DOF itself (red, green, blue) but also the hyperfocal
distance. Contrary to last time, one can now see in the picture where the
hyperfocal distance/2 (cyan line) and hyperfocal distance (magenta) starts.
That's pretty interesting, for, given a certain set of camera parameters one
can put the focus somewhere while seeing where the hyperfocal distance/2 and
hyperfocal distance is, and then, afterwards, put the focus at the previously
determined hyperfocal distance getting a pretty cool DOF with everything in
defocus up to the hyperfocal distance/2 and from there on everything in sharp
focus to infinity whereas the transition is smooth. Should come in handy for
getting/adjusting some interesting DOFs.

NSHp39C.png

focal length: 50mm, f-stop: 16, sensor: 35mm (full format), coc: ~0.0288

No defocus nor f-stops/aperture effects are shown, yet, just the DOFs bounds.
The squares on the floor are 25cm on each side for those wanting to verify the
computation. What's interesting to see is that the DOF isn't necessarily split
in half, i.e. green != (red+blue)/2. The distance from the red line (start of
the DOF) to the green one is much shorter than from the green to the blue one
(end of DOF). Start and end of DOF shouldn't be taken for granted, because the
transition into and out of focus is smooth, there is no real start nor end.
It's sort of an agreement based in the circle of confusion, eye sight, viewing
distance, image resolution, etc.. These are the parameters need be tuned if you
wanna get faithful images which pretty much depend on the situation at hand.
I just used standard parameters for now. For games it needs to look believable.
We are selling dreams, mind you! ;)

I'm having a change of heart for my engine of choice. I was loving UE4 and blueprints so much. I was able to get very quick and great result using only blueprints. Even multiplayer was easy as hell to implement.

But now that my time to sit at my desktop PC is very limited, I have dumped Unity onto my old laptop and it runs pretty well. I am missing blueprints very much and it seems much more complex to get something working (unlike unreal where you can just dump a camera in your player, put an arm in it, and easily tell it to rotate via mouse axis).

Can somebody who has experience with both give me some input on PlayMaker and how it compares to BluePrints? My goal is to code most of my stuff, but I would like to use PlayMaker for easy things like opening doors or collecting items.

Makai

Implemented a simple auto-focus system and some markers to show the bounds
of the depth of field (DOF). Quite helpful for debugging. The red, green, and
blue lines do bound the DOF depending on focal length, aperture, coc, bla bla
bla. The green line marks the plane currently in sharp focus. The yellow one
is the plane you wanna bring into focus. Because to auto-focus takes a little
bit of time, and since there is also some inertia to it, I implemented that
using the same filter talked about last time. There are actually two more
lines (not visible) indicating the hyperfocal distance as well as hyperfocal
distance/2, yet those lines are far away for the given setting. I'm also
currently tweaking the defocus itself (not shown, yet). For, I came to realize
that slightly randomizing a large dither pattern my lead to some interesting
results to mimic a good pixelized defocussing blur. Will see.

93G2hJv.gif

O4LSBuP.gif
Cool!

Makai

I'm having a change of heart for my engine of choice. I was loving UE4 and blueprints so much. I was able to get very quick and great result using only blueprints. Even multiplayer was easy as hell to implement.

But now that my time to sit at my desktop PC is very limited, I have dumped Unity onto my old laptop and it runs pretty well. I am missing blueprints very much and it seems much more complex to get something working (unlike unreal where you can just dump a camera in your player, put an arm in it, and easily tell it to rotate via mouse axis).
Oh no

DNAbro

Don't really have anything that cool to show for Screenshot Saturday but I'm pretty much done implementing dialogue for normal cases. Glad that's over.

QFSifqm.gif

Also what you guys use to capture gameplay footage? I'm using gyazo and while it's super simple, quality isn't very good.

Also I don't remember if I ever posted this one character so why not post it again. Meet Bo.

m3C0ywS.png

Noaloha

^ That's a delightful entity. And I adore her environ 'shadow'. Her movement feels like it's on the wrong side of jerky though. Could she get just a few more frames of animation to really seal her to those flowers? If she's meant to have a floaty, non-tangible gait, I think that could benefit from being emphasised the other way, either full float or just straight up wrong walking.

Jobbs

Banned
^ That's a delightful entity. And I adore her environ 'shadow'. Her movement feels like it's on the wrong side of jerky though. Could she get just a few more frames of animation to really seal her to those flowers? If she's meant to have a floaty, non-tangible gait, I think that could benefit from being emphasised the other way, either full float or just straight up wrong walking.

thank you :)

there's always a compromise because I'm doing everything myself and I can't focus on every animation as much as I'd like.

This one also falls victim, at least slightly, to the movements losing something when translated to the actual game engine because the outline isn't moving enough.

7uNwGA1.gif

I may fiddle with it more if I get the chance, but it's really a minor event in the context of the game.

Noaloha

The animation itself is beautiful. The in-game gif you posted initially just hit me as a sprite that's being slid across the surface rather than travelling it. I notice now that the 'shadow' effect might be obfuscating what I'm trying to track. Still, I get the feeling that her feet don't 'plant' (seriously, no pun intended) on the surface much -- she seems to move forward more than her animation allows her. Am I imagining that?

Edit: while I'm here, Pehesse, is there any chance that in your final release you have a prelim skin I can apply to the game? I sincerely love the 'scribbled on graph paper' aesthetic of your protaganist.

Pere

Neo Member
We've been working on the main character animations and we're trying to come up with some new ideas so all the stages don't look samey.

f09747a8d7d72cbcd7c204fc9fe35382.gif

After some random tests with particles, we ended up with something akin to a lightning but it didn't make sense in the setting...
Then we had the idea to set the stage in a storm and it fits, and it looks quite cool!

We're hoping to actually add some minor rain and lightning effects before the next Saturday.

Lautaro

I made a new trailer for the store page of Beastmancer (I had some criticism about the music in my Greenlight trailer so I changed it):

https://youtu.be/MP4kOhJ30Ww

I also marked the Steam store page ready for review so hopefuly it'll be up during next week.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the game, a RPG needs so much content to even deserve the name but I'm certain I'll deliver, the real question is when...

Pehesse

The animation itself is beautiful. The in-game gif you posted initially just hit me as a sprite that's being slid across the surface rather than travelling it. I notice now that the 'shadow' effect might be obfuscating what I'm trying to track. Still, I get the feeling that her feet don't 'plant' (seriously, no pun intended) on the surface much -- she seems to move forward more than her animation allows her. Am I imagining that?

Edit: while I'm here, Pehesse, is there any chance that in your final release you have a prelim skin I can apply to the game? I sincerely love the 'scribbled on graph paper' aesthetic of your protaganist.

Thanks a lot! Though now I'm very conflicted, as I've been hearing the same from a number of people and I'm afraid it's just not possible to have both the sketch aesthetic and a cleaned+colored one in-game at the same time (it would take double the memory amount, a resource I'm already struggling with). I also don't think most people would think of a game looking like this as "finished" and end up buying it, even though I'll admit I love the look myself and would love to do it one day for those who do like you - I just need to be able to afford the game to (most likely) commercially bomb (though I'd love to be proven wrong - just can't afford another gamble like this after Honey!) :-D I also need color for some of the design I've planned, so I won't stick with sketched B&W in Pacha anyway, and color with those lines just ends up looking a bit too rough!

My current best proposal is to make the game as intended, ie. cleaned/colored (similar to Honey, if you've seen it) but offer in parallel flipbooks of the character animation in current sketches+maybe also the "final" colored outlines? Would that be of interest? As an additional thought to consider: I'm planning to work towards a Kickstarter for Pacha, would a "sketch build" stretch goal or backer tier exclusive reward be something worthy to work towards? It'd most likely be an entirely separate build of the game if that were to happen (I'd build the game as normal first, then replace all "finished" animation with their original sketched frames), meaning it'd be a lot more work for me to maintain and most likely would happen after I've sufficiently debugged the main game first to avoid doing it twice, but if there were enough interest, it'd be a much safer way to gauge support for an actual full game using only this aesthetic!

Either way, thanks a lot for your thoughts, and it's something I'll consider/design something around for a future project, most likely now!

EDIT: if you want to see for yourself how the sketched aesthetic currently looks like while playing, you can already access the WIP v 0.020.1 prototype here: pehesse.fr/honey/pachacuti ! (web browser prototype, you don't need to install anything)

In fact, I'd highly appreciate anyone giving it a go to give me feedback on character control/responsiveness and their thoughts on the overall moveset and player feel so far. The aim for the prototype is to be a "black box movement focused" prototype with very limited environmental interaction (no enemies, no advanced platforming logic, no elaborate LD - basically, simple movement only), as that will be the core of the game and it needs to be the best it can be to carry the whole experience, however elaborate the additional systems get.

The prototype is playable on both keyboard and gamepad for both forms, and the rest should be self explanatory!

If you take the time to try it out and send me feedback (here, through PM, twitter, or anywhere else): THANK YOU!

Jobbs

Banned
I got bored and turned what wasn't really meant to be much of a combat event into more of one.

http://i.imgur.com/JAcpzCA.gifv

she shows up when backtracking through an earlier section if certain conditions have been met (as is the case with a number of special events/spawns).

Managed to get twin stick shooter controls done in Game Maker over a weekend.. Not sure if I should feel particularly proud, but it's something. I can maneuver on a 2D room and shoot in 360 directions. Yay me. :)

Now I need to learn collision and hit detection..

Then I can start on my
Chaos Engine Remake

Thanks a lot! Though now I'm very conflicted, as I've been hearing the same from a number of people and I'm afraid it's just not possible to have both the sketch aesthetic and a cleaned+colored one in-game at the same time (it would take double the memory amount, a resource I'm already struggling with). I also don't think most people would think of a game looking like this as "finished" and end up buying it, even though I'll admit I love the look myself and would love to do it one day for those who do like you - I just need to be able to afford the game to (most likely) commercially bomb (though I'd love to be proven wrong - just can't afford another gamble like this after Honey!) :-D I also need color for some of the design I've planned, so I won't stick with sketched B&W in Pacha anyway, and color with those lines just ends up looking a bit too rough!

My current best proposal is to make the game as intended, ie. cleaned/colored (similar to Honey, if you've seen it) but offer in parallel flipbooks of the character animation in current sketches+maybe also the "final" colored outlines? Would that be of interest? As an additional thought to consider: I'm planning to work towards a Kickstarter for Pacha, would a "sketch build" stretch goal or backer tier exclusive reward be something worthy to work towards? It'd most likely be an entirely separate build of the game if that were to happen (I'd build the game as normal first, then replace all "finished" animation with their original sketched frames), meaning it'd be a lot more work for me to maintain and most likely would happen after I've sufficiently debugged the main game first to avoid doing it twice, but if there were enough interest, it'd be a much safer way to gauge support for an actual full game using only this aesthetic!

Either way, thanks a lot for your thoughts, and it's something I'll consider/design something around for a future project, most likely now!

EDIT: if you want to see for yourself how the sketched aesthetic currently looks like while playing, you can already access the WIP v 0.020.1 prototype here: pehesse.fr/honey/pachacuti ! (web browser prototype, you don't need to install anything)

In fact, I'd highly appreciate anyone giving it a go to give me feedback on character control/responsiveness and their thoughts on the overall moveset and player feel so far. The aim for the prototype is to be a "black box movement focused" prototype with very limited environmental interaction (no enemies, no advanced platforming logic, no elaborate LD - basically, simple movement only), as that will be the core of the game and it needs to be the best it can be to carry the whole experience, however elaborate the additional systems get.

The prototype is playable on both keyboard and gamepad for both forms, and the rest should be self explanatory!

If you take the time to try it out and send me feedback (here, through PM, twitter, or anywhere else): THANK YOU!

Simple movement seems quite good to me, although my computer was really slowing down through it ;3; I assume it's a problem on my end tho. I did have one comment on the animation... when I switch forms and I'm the more acrobatic smaller gal she has like a triple jump handspring kind of move but when you jump really far with it (or end up against a wall) she's sort of awkwardly stuck waiting to land and it looks a bit strange... I know adding in extra rotations might end up with more problems but maybe that's a thought? :eek:

Pehesse

Simple movement seems quite good to me, although my computer was really slowing down through it ;3; I assume it's a problem on my end tho. I did have one comment on the animation... when I switch forms and I'm the more acrobatic smaller gal she has like a triple jump handspring kind of move but when you jump really far with it (or end up against a wall) she's sort of awkwardly stuck waiting to land and it looks a bit strange... I know adding in extra rotations might end up with more problems but maybe that's a thought? :eek:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Regarding the slowdown, could I ask your computer specs, especially RAM and if you have an integrated graphics card or dedicated one?

For the handspring, I see what you mean - the falling animation after the third jump, with the hands pointing down? I can definitely look into reworking that one or expanding on it, it does look a bit weird during big falls!

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Regarding the slowdown, could I ask your computer specs, especially RAM and if you have an integrated graphics card or dedicated one?

For the handspring, I see what you mean - the falling animation after the third jump, with the hands pointing down? I can definitely look into reworking that one or expanding on it, it does look a bit weird during big falls!

I'm on my macbook (early 2015) - 1.3 GHz Intel Core M 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 5300 1536 MB (hope those numbers all make sense lol... I am not the technical one in our studio 8D)

Pehesse

I'm on my macbook (early 2015) - 1.3 GHz Intel Core M 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 5300 1536 MB (hope those numbers all make sense lol... I am not the technical one in our studio 8D)

Yup, definitely helps, thanks a lot! If I'm reading this right, it's an integrated graphics card, which as far as I understand WebGL doesn't handle well - and C2 has no workaround for this issue yet (all C2 games I know of have this same problem) I'll keep both ears out for fixes, though as I understand it, the problem is deep rooted and can't be adressed in C2 itself.. and if they can't, I unfortunately will not be able to provide a solution either, very sorry about that! Though if you happen to try it on another setup with a dedicated graphics card, it should work *much* better!

ty :)

when the real one dies you get this flower burst

http://i.imgur.com/Zw48dN3.gifv

Oh, very nice!

missile

Finally ...

Pixelized Defocusing Blur

Ie2tq8F.gif

That's what I was cooking up for over a month or so. Pretty proud of it!
Defocusing blur gets a bit tough if you wanna make it look good on such a low
resolution. See, there is no averaging of any pixels going on, yet you can see
blur, done by weaving raw pixels together. I'm still working on it, but this is
by far my best result at the moment after many failed attempts in dealing with
all sorts of issues of many different patterns, randomization, flickering,
aliasing and stuff.

The animation has a little show effect. Upon startup the camera sensor is
pulled out of its rest position by the auto-focus positioning the sensor in
such a way that the object distance (measured at the red dot) is in focus.
Next year I want improve the auto-focus effect itself simulating what the eye
does to refocus. Instead of moving the sensor (for, the retina is fixed), I
will implement a form of lens accommodation to refocus. This should have some
interesting consequences because the focal length will also change somewhat
and as such the projection when focusing.

Finally ...

Pixelized Defocusing Blur

Ie2tq8F.gif

That's what I was cooking up for over a month or so. Pretty proud of it!
Defocusing blur gets a bit tough if you wanna make it look good on such a low
resolution. See, there is no averaging of any pixels going on, yet you can see
blur, done by weaving raw pixels together. I'm still working on it, but this is
by far my best result at the moment after many failed attempts in dealing with
all sorts of issues of many different patterns, randomization, flickering,
aliasing and stuff.

The animation has a little show effect. Upon startup the camera sensor is
pulled out of its rest position by the auto-focus positioning the sensor in
such a way that the object distance (measured at the red dot) is in focus.
Next year I want improve the auto-focus effect itself simulating what the eye
does to refocus. Instead of moving the sensor (for, the retina is fixed), I
will implement a form of lens accommodation to refocus. This should have some
interesting consequences because the focal length will also change somewhat
and as such the projection when focusing.

It's certainly effective but the overall effect is a bit hard on the eyes... :eek: but in fairness I feel that way about old 3D stuff as well so it might be right on the money in that respect.

Yup, definitely helps, thanks a lot! If I'm reading this right, it's an integrated graphics card, which as far as I understand WebGL doesn't handle well - and C2 has no workaround for this issue yet (all C2 games I know of have this same problem) I'll keep both ears out for fixes, though as I understand it, the problem is deep rooted and can't be adressed in C2 itself.. and if they can't, I unfortunately will not be able to provide a solution either, very sorry about that! Though if you happen to try it on another setup with a dedicated graphics card, it should work *much* better!

Oh, very nice!

I have more than one computer around here so ndb, hehe. I don't expect everyone to cater to my specific setup anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom