• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

pa22word

1. PW
2. MGS2
3. MGS3

That was actually harder than it looked to put together. Hopefully without starting a flame war I'll just say despite this being my at-one-time favorite series I honestly don't even care where it goes anymore. I'm hyping Rising only because PG is involved tbqh. I don't know if it's because I just got tired of the series, or if it was due to me getting older and realizing that the games just aren't very well written. In any case I hope the next mainline entry in the series is a reboot under new leadership or something just to shake things up a bit. Who knows though. I am planning on buying MGS3D (if the framerate isn't as bad as some of the early videos have suggested), so maybe that'll revitalize my interest in the series.

1. MGS3, this is the only one that completely drew me in from beginning to end, I played through it in a single 14 hour session.
2. MGS1
3. MGS4

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
1. MGS2
2. MGS4
3. MGS3

.... If Twin Snakes were part of the list, though, it would take spot #1 and bump everything else down.

Takao

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: It's a blast from beginning to end.
2. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - A tonne of fun via multiplayer.
3. Metal Gear Solid: The game that brought Metal Gear to the 3D realm. It helped establish the character we love, and the ones we don't.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Didn't you hear? Any game that came out before 2000 is pretty much trash.

smh @ this generation.

Wow.... You say one is a pos but you have MGS4 on your list... Questionable taste...

Responding a bit late, but seriously, MGS 1 is a terrible game (which is obviously just my opinion). The camera, controls, "stealth", "gunplay", everything about it is extremely sloppy and not fun. I'm an older gamer and was there when it came out so it has nothing to do about "this generation". I hated it so much then that I stopped playing it, something I never did with games back when I was a teen. I then replayed it (along with 2, 3) in my late 20s to prepare for 4 and I still thought it's just a very frustrating game to actually play. The story and characters are fun to watch, but playing the game is not enjoyable. It just gets that same rose-tinted nostalgia glasses treatment that FF7 gets. Incredibly average games but popular because of the era they were released in. I hear Twin Snakes is a much better version of the original but I've never bothered to play it because of my distaste for 1 in general.

As for MGS4 for being a piece of shit..well, that's YOUR questionable taste as well. Say what you will about the story or installs or cutscenes, but 4 is the first ACTUALLY PLAYABLE game of the entire series. The controls actually finally work, something that's lacking in all of the previous titles, including 3 which I ranked number one purely on presentation and entertainment.

edit: I was also totally oblivious to the fact I'm rockin a MGS3 Boss avatar. Fate? You bet.

P90

1. MGS 1

3. MGS 3
4. MGS:pO

My favorite is an offshoot, MGS VR Missions. Crap, why isn't Twin Snakes allowed?

1) MGS
2) MGS3
3) MGS4

I'm sorry for Peace Walker, great game, but it was mediocre in terms of controls, graphics and feeling. In one word, it was on a handheld.

Hayeya

Banned
1: MGS1 (couldnt believe a videogame contained a story that rivaled anything i have ever watched on tv, when THAT boss told me that i was playing castlevania me and my brother looked to each other with disbelief,,, this was my first experience with MGS, a game that i will never forget so it takes top spot)

2: MGS2 (Unlike the majority, i was shocked in a good way when i knew that Raiden is THE new hero, this game exceeded all my super unrealistic expectations at the time, love, betrayal, double betrayal, triple betrayal, i was on the edge for the whole time, and the custscenes were just from another world,,,, this one is equal to the first one for me but since 1 was my first so it had to be special)

3: MGS4 (the game starts and i am still thinking that it is still a cutscene, this a game is this good, unlike the majority my jaw dropped to the floor when THAT ending after the credits showed us HIM, and i got a tear in my eyes when we revisited THAT place and heard THAT song and remembered all Those memories, I though that these were my memories,,,,,,, it's hard to put this game at number 3 but since the first 2 were godlike, so it's ok)

4: MGS3 (The game starts realistically, i begin to hate it, then THAT cutscene on the bridge starts and all Hell Breaks loose, MGS is back, More freedom more crazy scenes, Love, Betrayal, origin stories done to perfection,,,, but i dont know it just wasnt up to 1-2-4 for me, its one of the best games i ever played for sure but 1-2-4 are better in my eyes and i think i am a minority)

WOW, i wanted to just list the TOP 4 and i ended with writing a mini summary, Love this Series, Kojima Screw everyone and continue doing your fantastic job

DemiMatt

1. MGS3
2. MGS1
3. MGS4

I would have put PW in the top 3 but I have never been so blown away in a game as I was with 4. Especially when you got to pilot Rex. I remember being rock hard!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
1. MGS3; Just an incredible, brilliant game. 8 years later and I'm still learning new tricks and details. It's the biggest, most open ended and content-packed game in the series by a huge margin (and the only one you can't finish in an hour if you skip all the cutscenes). Probably the only MGS game where I was completely satisfied with the whole package in the end. Unlike the others, this doesn't feel like they trimmed the game around the story and they finally take full advantage of the game's design potential.

2. MGS2; The most thematically brilliant, subversive story in the series. The plot itself was nonsense, but irrelevant. It explored the relationship between the actor and player expectations, media manupulation, social conditioning and memetics in a way that would have been impossible in anything other than a videogame. Lacks the scale of 3, but makes up for it in it's varied, almost puzzle-like gameplay. 60fps is awesome too.

3. MGS1; Probably the most solid (lol) all around game. Great story, great bosses, clever level design. I don't go back to it nearly as much as the other two, but this was the one that lit the flame.

As for the rest...I'm not sure any of them would rank even if they counted in the poll. Probably just 4 at best.

4. MGS4
5. MGS:pW
6. MGS:pO
7. ...
8. MGS:TTS

moozoom

1. MGS3; Absolutely loved the classic spy / bond homage, the over the top bosses and the story. The Boss is my favorite female game character of all time.
2. MGS2; Loved the ballsy change of main character, the dogtag collection, the weird ideas at the end, the dozens of secrets and hidden stuff... + the virtual challenges in substance are great.
3. MGS:pW; I was very surprised by this one, I loved the gameplay, the short little missions, the soldier collection and the (weird but funny) Monster Hunter cross over. The real ending and silly secret tapes were a good surprise too. And Ashley Wood's art is awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. MGS1; I bought a PS1 for this, but it feels a bit dated now, gameplay-wise. I still love the bosses and their incredibly sad stories.
5. MGS4; I liked the overall gameplay... but the incessant and too long cutscenes almost made me quit playing. Also the story and twists at the end are a bit too much, even on a MGS scale. (The game should have ended with the gunshot.) On the plus side, Old Snake's has the best game character ass of all time.
6. MGS:pO; Hated the controls, and I lost interest very quickly. Never finished it.

Not listed, but I loved the gameboy game, especially the crazy codec conversations when you start over... I'd love to play it again (on 3DS VC, please ?)

RedSwirl

1.MGS3 Subsistence: This is the game that started to turn MGS into a modern stealth game. Everything before was mechanically still based on an 8-bit game where you looked at your radar and avoided vision cones. MGS3 was the first one where you actually had to have a three-dimensional awareness of your environment, and had incredibly varied level design to boot. It's the one MGS game that I've beaten the most times. It's only flaw is the incredibly convoluted and outdated control scheme.

2.Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake: This is the game that set the template for the entire series at least up to MGS2. MGS1 may have been what popularized the series, but everything that game did had already been done eight years earlier on 8-bit hardware - every single gameplay mechanic, piece of level design (save Psycho Mantis), a lot of the storyline, and most of the characters too. This game is the Final Fantasy VI, the Link to the Past of the Metal Gear franchise.

3.Peace Walker HD Edition: By far the most content-rich Metal Gear game, this takes MGS4's decision to finally implement modern third person controls and actually puts a lot of good game design behind it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
2.Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake: This is the game that set the template for the entire series at least up to MGS2. MGS1 may have been what popularized the series, but everything that game did had already been done eight years earlier on 8-bit hardware - every single gameplay mechanic, piece of level design (save Psycho Mantis), a lot of the storyline, and most of the characters too. This game is the Final Fantasy VI, the Link to the Past of the Metal Gear franchise.

Does MG2 count? Because I thought we were only voting for MGS.

1. MGS1
2. MGS3
3. MGS4

4.MGS: PW
5. MGS2

Don't get me wrong, I love MGS2. I just like the others better. Although, it's great to see that some people here would consider it their number one.

MGS1 will always be my favourite. It blew my mind as a kid. The characters were great, it felt very atmospheric and the set pieces were awesome. MGS3 is probably my favourite from a gameplay perspective. I loved sneaking through the jungle and found infiltrating Groznyj Grad really fucking cool. MGS4 had some fantastic moments, and as amazing as
returning to Shadow Moses Island
one last time was, it was the first two acts that made it for me. It felt like the traditional MGS gameplay, but taken one step further. The only reason I rate it lower than MGS3 is because I really didn't enjoy the story in MGS4 as much
(and that third god damn act right up until the bike chase scene.)

CorvoSol

1. MGS3; I feel the game could stand alone and still be amazing. The fact that it is a prequel doesn't hurt it at all. Everything about the relationship between The Boss and Snake is moving, I loved being able to sneak around a Russian jungle, I didn't hate the way one went around getting the bonus stuff, and I enjoyed using the various camos in the game. Also loved the Guy Savage mini game.

2. MGS1; the other game I feel could stand on its own two feet. Not a minute of this game I did not enjoy. Even the ridiculous back tracking near the end.

3. MGS4; I enjoyed the Octocamo, the occasional changes in pace (stalking the guy in prague, REX vs RAY etc.) also played really well on my nostalgia and, while some people think the story was ridiculous, I enjoyed it.

4. MGS2; the only MGS game where I feel like the story was actually a pain. I mean, yeah, there were some great twists in the end, and the game telling me to turn it off was mind-blowing, but the entire stretch of nonsense between getting the sword and the end of the game is confusing as heck. Also, ROSE. UGH. That said, the game controlled great, and looking back I don't mind Raiden as much anymore.

5. MGSPW; I'm not done yet, but I'm really liking this game. Using the D-Pad for the camera is a huge pain though. I swear its the number one reason I keep setting off alarms. I've got a love hate relationship with the Outer Heaven stuff. Sometimes I enjoy it, other times, when I'm stuck repeating missions so I can develop the weapons I need for the boss fights it gets old, fast. Also, this is probably the game with the blandest boss fights in the series. Excluding the AI bosses, it's pretty dull fighting a helicopter, a tank, and an armored car. Where are my crazy bosses with their impossible powers and never mentioned again back stories?

6. MGSPO; the only game I don't own and never finished. It only really takes bottom because my disc inexplicably died and I could never play it again. *sob*

Abylim

1. Metal Gear Solid 3 - This game is awesome. I thought it would be weird using camo, but man I love it. I love crawling through grass and either sneaking by unseen, or taking out whatevers in my way silently. No MGS game comes close to how awesome an experience this was!

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Initially, like everyone else, was a bit disappointed in the Raiden stuff. But I did everything this game had to offer, and still wanted more. Big Shell wasnt as grand a setting as Shadow Moses, but it grew on me. Liked the improvements over the first, ended up loving it to death. Worth noting that I had a hard time deciding between this and MGS1, very close in my ratings.

3. Metal Gear Solid - I played this when it came out, and I wish I could see my face then. From Psycho Mantis reading my memory cards, and making me switch controller ports, to the torture scene impacting the ending, I was engrossed. Loved the story, the characters, and like MGS2, I did everything this game had to offer. Still a great game today!

4. Metal Gear Solid 4 - It gets some flak, but I love it. I would have enjoyed more play time, sure. But damn what a finish to an epic story. I get goosebumps thinking about the return to Shadow Moses still!

- Havent finished PW yet, no interest in PO, so I wont rank them. Its worth noting that MGS3 is way above all others on my list, while 2,3 and 4 are all very close together on my enjoyment scale.

Top Bottom