• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF votes: The best video game franchise

pulga said:
And the fuck is up with the Team ICO category?
Have you played their games? I'm pretty sure that everyone who has would agree that both ICO and SotC are in the same series, there just isn't a name for the "franchise".

pulga

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Have you played their games? I'm pretty sure that everyone who has would agree that both ICO and SotC are in the same series.

Yes, I have. Shadow is one of my favorite games of all time. Still, doesn't seem fair to me but I can see where you're coming from.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Danne-Danger said:
Have you played their games? I'm pretty sure that everyone who has would agree that both ICO and SotC are in the same series, there just isn't a name for the "franchise".

They play ridiculously differently. That's almost like saying Mario and DK are the same series.

1. Super Mario
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Metal Gear

Nothing else even comes close. Im sorry samus :( but you still have my favorite game(super metroid).

1. Super Mario
2. Final Fantasy
3. Super Smash Bros.

1 and 2 were easy picks, aside from order; series I love with a hell of a lot of each to judge on.

J-Rzez said:
Yeah. No. It's the pinnacle of gaming. No game was ever as finely crafted overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4:_Guns_of_the_Patriots

"The game was released worldwide on June 12, 2008"...

That was less than a month ago, that invalidates any opinions regarding "best game ever".

I'm sorry man, it's ridiculous to call a game with millions of dollars of advertising still being shown on TV, in theaters, at Gamestores the best game ever. Obviously the hype needs to die down before that can even be a possibility so people can just take the game for what it is, not what was promised or expected.

Just my opinion.

Oblivion said:
They play ridiculously differently. That's almost like saying Mario and DK are the same series.
But Mario and DK aren't really in the same “universe” are they? ICO and SotC share a lot of themes throughout and it's pretty clear that the both are tied together, even though there isn't a number or subtitle tied to them.

What's tying FFI and XII together apart from the name and number? They both play very differently from each other, have different storylines/characters and they don't even share the same universe!
During an interview in March 2006, Ueda (The ICO guy) revealed that a specific connection between the two games exists: the world featured in the two is the same, with Shadow of the Colossus taking place at an unspecified time before Ico. He revealed that Wander sires the line of horned boys of which Ico's protagonist is a descendant.
Separating the two because they don't share main titles is a bit absurd IMO, but still, this is a GAF listwarz thread and this discussion is quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Danne-Danger said:
But Mario and DK aren't really in the same “universe” are they? ICO and SotC share a lot of themes throughout and it's pretty clear that the both are tied together, even though there isn't a number or subtitle tied to them.

What's tying FFI and XII together apart from the name and number? They both play very differently from each other, have different storylines/characters and they don't even share the same universe!

Separating the two because they don't share main titles is a bit absurd IMO, but still, this is a GAF listwarz thread and this discussion is quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. :p

I used Mario and DK cause they were in the same game when they came out.

The FF thing is an interesting case, since most do play differently, but they're still considered part of the same overall series. SotC and Ico aren't in any overarching series even though they may be in the same universe. I just think it's kinda weird to group them together. And it's not a dig on Team Ico, SotC is one of my favorite games of last gen.

Kuran

Banned
1) Monster Hunter
2) Shin Megami Tensei
3) Final Fantasy

Monster Hunter.

Why in god's name is it not on that list?!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
1.) The Legend of Zelda
2.) Mario
3.) Halo

Top Bottom