• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, was Bloodsport the best Jean Claude Van Damme action movie?

Best JCVD?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's No Retreat No Surrender?

Anyway, the most disappointing was Universal Soldier, at the time 2000AD comic in the UK had a comic strip called Universal Soldier and it was about a man with a chip in his head that would take any situation from history and put him in that situation to deal with issues in present day. So, he gets surrounded by 5 mafia killers, his chip takes over and recalls a fight from 15th century Japan where a Samurai is surrounded by 5 Ninja's. It then uses the experiences of the Samurai to control the persons actions in the present day and kick ass. It went back to fights in Ancient Greece, Medieval England etc. Brilliant concept, they announced Universal Soldier a year or so after it was in the comic, biggest fucking disappointment ever.

Where's No Retreat No Surrender?

I still have my 45 min version of No Retreat No Surrender around which is, indubitably, better than the director version. I only had bit left of a vhs tape to record it, so we did our own family version. And it's glorious. Nothing but fighting, training and montages without that whole cringy shit.

jett

D-Member
Bloodsport and Kickboxer are the only two JCVD classics that stand up on some level.

I remember liking Universal Soldier when it came out but who knows what that movie is like today.

bunbun777

Yea it probably is but hard target and kickboxer are pretty good too. Lionheart, timecop, universal soldier and double impact were all fun.

creatchee

Van Damme is the master of releasing decent movies. They will never win an Oscar, but none are actually what I'd consider "bad movies".

Maximum Risk and Timecop are my favorites, but Sudden Death (Powers Booth is absolutely outstanding in it) and Replicant are up there. Assassination Games and Legionnaire need more love too.

Probably Bloodsport then Universal Soldier and Kickboxer.

Had no idea AWOL had so many different titles: Lionheart, Wrong Bet, Leon and Full Contact

Recently watched Kickboxer again and enjoyed every moment. Charming with the old master teaching Van Damme.

All you trolling muthafuckers choosing Streetfighter. And yeah, Bloodsport is legend. Universal Solder is a close second place.

And I'll admit, I also dig Legionnaire, but it's much too different to be on this list.

No Chong Li gifs?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In Bolo we trust.

Btw guys universal soldier regeneration is better than the original
this is true. Some of the best action of his career is in that movie.

All his films with a dude named Hyams are great, and all his films directed by a Hong Kong auter are pretty awesome as well. His stint with Hark Tsui is hugely underrated (I guess because Knock Off and Double Team and goofy to the point of being hallucinatory), and his work with Ringo Lam is similarly under appreciated.

As the second best film of Van Damme's direct to video era (Universal Soldier is always gonna be the best), In Hell needs to be more widely seen. Its a gritty as heck prison film, a way over the top melodrama, and its chock full of grounded and brutal fight scenes. Its great. His other work with Lam (Maximum Risk, Replicant) are pretty not bad as well.

Ultimate_Egoist

Neo Member
Can I get an honorable mention for "Legionnaire"? No idea how it holds up now, but I remember liking it back in the day as a sort of JCVD in a period piece film.

legion1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom