• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, What are the 10 hardest majors in college(university)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
zaxor0 said:
stuff...

The hardest part of philosophy is probably the volume of knowledge of the tradition one is required to know. To understand Derrida or Foucault, you really need to know your Kant and Hegel. While some people can pick up something by Foucault and grasp it to some degree, the difference with someone who is serious about philosophy is that they can articulate and defend the ideas in relation to movements such as structuralism, post structuralism, enlightenment, or the modern era in general. Knowing what is going on in a work of philosophy is different than just being able to briefly restate the general thesis.

you do know that you could just exchange the foucaults and the kants in your text with the leibnitz and euklids of the world... result would be the same : you need to devote a lot of time to that shit, you cant just read a formula and understand it (but you can still use it even if you have no clue why it works) ... to fully undrstand math - it has to happen in your brain, you need to link everything together (and thats shit loads of stuff)... you even have to use structures that your brain cant imagine, so its a different beast... and its boring as fucking hell and gives you nothing in return after learning it... thats the hardest part about it... for me...

when i read ecce homo in my spare time i think to myself: "great stuff, i dont get all of it but damn i would like to dive deeper..."
but when i simulate shit in matlab im all : "ahh fuck off"

edit: i study engineering... witch is nothing else then applied physics => shit tons of math

Rad-

I'm surprised so many mention engineering. I've gotten good grades from mechanical courses however not that great from most material courses. But that's mostly because I'm a lazy student. Those courses weren't that hard either, just a bit reading. Which I didn't do. :lol

I'd say Physics, Math or Chemistry have it the hardest because I hear the high level stuff in these is some crazy ass shit.

I'd also throw Medicine and Law here too. So much reading and studying, I would probably kill myself.

WalkMan

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
I'm currently a Computer Science major, but I'm considering bailing out. If you hate math, you are absolutely going to hate discrete math, I know I do. Computer Science is very math dependent when you get down to it. I'm not trying to scare you, but I enjoy programming and I had Computer Science all throughout high school. Despite that, I'm fairly sure it is just not the major for me.

Seriously, fuck discrete math. The only thing worse than taking a discrete math course is taking one taught by an Austrian professor.
Discrete Math was a bitch for me freshman year, but looking back on it, all the stuff was essential. The purpose of the course is to hand-pick topics from different math courses and teach you the relevant stuff. So looking back on taking the course, I now see its uses. It's like that with a lot of CS courses, you don't fully see its value till you are done and look back on it.

gabiliebe

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
Med school is something you do after your undergraduate degree in the US, so it isn't really a "major". "pre-med" normally just refers to Bio or Physiology, which isn't that brutal of a degree.

Math is a weird subject in how much of it you need to take for other majors. Physics (and presumably CS) majors will place you half way to a double in math.

I agree that math major is hard and so are any engineering majors but...

Excuse me? I am a physiology major in my third year and I don't know how it is at the colleges you know but I believe that physiology is a brutal degree :/ I am taking the highest level of physio, biochem, and physics right now and a health psych class and that's only 12 credits.

Both physio and biochem require lots of memorization and in physiology, we only have 2 exams and a final which is worth 50 percent of our grade. :(

Rad- said:
I'm surprised so many mention engineering. I've gotten good grades from mechanical courses however not that great from most material courses. But that's mostly because I'm a lazy student. Those courses weren't that hard either, just a bit reading. Which I didn't do. :lol

I find it really hard; lol. Most of my friends do too, but then again, maybe you just have a really special mind.

finished a mechanical engineering degree and currently working on a masters in aerospace engineering (internship and master thesis left), and it wasnt that difficult. a lot to study but doable if you arent lazy.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I got a degree in CS a few years back... Didn't have much trouble at all with discrete math (well, the probability part of discrete 2 was a bit rough)... The latter half of Theory of Computation (P/NP Complete problems in particular) was a nightmare though.

MechaX

Meadows said:
In my experience:

Electronics
Computer Science
Physics
Medicine
Molecular Biology
Maths
Chemistry
Psychology
Law
Biochemistry

BTW: I do Sociology :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol So fun to watch other people stressing about work when I have so little.
but then they'll get a good degree :(

Pretty much my list with a few exceptions.

Coming from a Psychology major, I would take that major out, at least for undergrad. It's simple enough to skate by in undergrad, but the main problem comes up in grad school settings where you actually have to understand both the mechanics and the philosophy of the statistical part of psychology pretty damn well. Although, I'm not saying Psych is ridiculously easy; I find it more middle of the road.

English can range from pitiful to "OMGWTF" levels of insanity pretty quickly depending on your teacher.

From what I gather, Music can kick your ass pretty hard if you start to fall behind on the material or practices.

Bananakin

Call me biased, but physics has to be at the top or close to it. Incredibly conceptually challenging, and an insane workload. Basically, during my last two years in physics, if I wasn't sleeping or eating, I was working. Just a brutal, brutal degree. And sure, you can say "everyone is different, what's difficult for some might be easy for others, etc." but the fact is, pretty much no one finds physics easy - even the people who are good at it.

As for other degrees: math and various engineerings have to be up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom