• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Link1110

OK, got Tales of Graces working (had a bit of trouble, too. Apparently the "Region Free" option on GeckoOS has to be -disabled- to play foreign region games. This raises questions of what it actually DOES, but whatever.)

Echoes

(This was posted in the Blaster Master thread as well, but I apologize for that.)

Could somebody please help me?

Back at March (I guess) I installed the homebrew channel on my Wii to play Mother 3. I then (at June) removed the SD card, created a new folder called "Wii" and dumbed all the files in there, and started using the SD card for my camera (I was going on a trip and didn't have the time to purchase a new one). Fast forward to November, I connected a new SD card to my PC, transfered the Wii folder's contents to the SD card, and put it back in my Wii. All of a sudden, the homebrew channel is no longer there and I can't update my Wii Shop channel :(

Every time I try updating it goes to, like, 33% then tells me there's an error. Could anybody lend me a hand in this? I SO wanna play Super Mario Kart and Blaster Master and, eventually, Mega Man 4 + 5 + 6 + 10.

Echoes said:
(This was posted in the Blaster Master thread as well, but I apologize for that.)

Could somebody please help me?

Back at March (I guess) I installed the homebrew channel on my Wii to play Mother 3. I then (at June) removed the SD card, created a new folder called "Wii" and dumbed all the files in there, and started using the SD card for my camera (I was going on a trip and didn't have the time to purchase a new one). Fast forward to November, I connected a new SD card to my PC, transfered the Wii folder's contents to the SD card, and put it back in my Wii. All of a sudden, the homebrew channel is no longer there and I can't update my Wii Shop channel :(

Every time I try updating it goes to, like, 33% then tells me there's an error. Could anybody lend me a hand in this? I SO wanna play Super Mario Kart and Blaster Master and, eventually, Mega Man 4 + 5 + 6 + 10.

You really need to tell us more, like what version of the System Menu you're on. Have you tried reinstalling the HomeBrew Channel via any of the Wiki suggestions? Etc etc.

prJuni

Neo Member
It's depressing that I still can't get bannerbomb to work on my wii, it's version 4.0u and it still freezes at the sd card menu. I'm going to keep trying since I really do want the homebrew channel on my wii.

Echoes

I'm at work now so I can't check the System Menu version, and I haven't tried reinstalling the Homebrew Channel. I thought that instead of doing anything via assumptions I would consult professional help because I'm always afraid of bricking my system.

prJuni said:
It's depressing that I still can't get bannerbomb to work on my wii, it's version 4.0u and it still freezes at the sd card menu. I'm going to keep trying since I really do want the homebrew channel on my wii.

You may as well attempt to update to the official 4.2 then, and then proceed to try Bannerbomb again. If your system bricks on account of the update, Nintendo will fix it for free since you haven't gotten any homebrew on the unit yet.

Echoes said:
I'm at work now so I can't check the System Menu version, and I haven't tried reinstalling the Homebrew Channel. I thought that instead of doing anything via assumptions I would consult professional help because I'm always afraid of bricking my system.

When you get back, post that information.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a way to defrag a harddrive you're using for usb loader? Does defragging do anything?

See, I've been seeing graphical glitches in the games I dump and play off usb loader more and more lately. The kind you see in the "your gpu is dying" thread where there are all the little dots on certain things.

But when I play the same game off the disc the video is perfect. No glitches. Also everytime I play it off the usbloader the dots are at the exact same spots, not random gpu glitches.

For example in NSMB, off the disc the title screen runs perfect. Off usb loaders the clouds around the middle of the screen have graphical glitches.

I'm trying to narrow down what is causing this since it doesn't seem to affect other people. I've tried updating to the latest loaders and different options enabled/disabled and nothing changes. My new theory is maybe the drive has become heavily fragmented and the files are not streaming properly? So I want to defrag and then try, and maybe delete what's on the drive, defrag and then re-rip.

Datschge

Fragmentation should only increase loading time at worst, not what you describe. Maybe it's interference? Try putting the hard drive farther away from the Wii.

Bebpo

Banned
Datschge said:
Fragmentation should only increase loading time at worst, not what you describe. Maybe it's interference? Try putting the hard drive farther away from the Wii.

I tried moving the HD to a different spot and still the same thing:

It only affects certain textures, which is weird and makes me thing it's some sort of file corruption.

example2-1.jpg

Only the sky backdrop is corrupted with black dots everywhere. The rest of the image is flawless.

example3.jpg

On the title screen it's the same deal. In fact in the entire game that's the only thing that has graphical glitches, the sky backdrops.

In other games it's just random textures here and there. It's not like when your gpu dies and you get that stuff everywhere all the time.

And like I said, I don't get any of those black dots on any game when I just play from the disc.

I'm using 4.0J firmware with Cios Rev14 & the latest version of various loaders.

eznark

Banned
eznark said:
Awesome thanks. I'll give it a go.

Shit now it isn't mounting my hd at all.

When I try using the USB Loader I had on the channel list the thing just time-outs (or freezes at like 4) and when I try using the USB Loader from the Homebrew Channel I get "custom IOS 222 could not be loaded."
So I am still stuck at this point, haven't really had a chance to try and get it working over the last couple weeks. I am determined to fix this today.

The homebrew 3.3-4.1 section now has a part about a Trucha Bug Restorer that wasn't there a couple weeks ago. Is this a necessary step, and what does it do?

Magik

Alright, so I've updated my Wii to 4.2U based on the GAF Wiki guide, but when I load in NSMB or Dead Space through the disc channel, its asking to install a system update.

Should I update?

mclem

My Wii has most of the basic homebrew stuff installed, and it's updated to 4.2; everything seems to be fully working.

My parents are currently looking into buying a Wii. Over Christmas, I'll be going there to visit them so they can try out a few games I'd recommend and see if they'd like them.

I've been wondering whether to also hack their Wii while I'm there; to that end, I've bought myself a 4GB SDHC card. I'm intending to replace my current (1GB) SD card with this one and give them the old 1GB card.

If I were to just dump the data from the 1GB card to the 4GB card using a PC, would everything Just Work at my end? As well as having my homebrew the card's also got my Virtual Console and Wiiware collection, and it'd be nice to just do a bulk copy without having to worry about redownloading those items.

Secondly, once I've cleared off the VC and Wiiware titles, would there be anything amongst the homebrew titles (Particularly MPlayerCE; that's the main reason for hacking their Wii) on the original card which would be configured for *my* Wii and should be fully reinstalled for the new one?

Thirdly, and drifting a little away from homebrew stuff directly: Are the demos downloaded from the shop channel on an open license or still locked to the downloading Wii? Mum and Dad are on a rather limited net connection and so it'd be nice if I could download the demos at my end and then copy the installation over to them, meaning they avoid having to actually carry out the downloads.

Echoes

Dragona Akehi said:
When you get back, post that information.
How do I know? I'm sure I didn't update to 4.2 via the message Nintendo sent to the dashboard. I think NSMB Wii updated my console though I'm not sure to what version.

Foffy

Banned
Bebpo said:
I tried moving the HD to a different spot and still the same thing:

It only affects certain textures, which is weird and makes me thing it's some sort of file corruption.

Only the sky backdrop is corrupted with black dots everywhere. The rest of the image is flawless.

On the title screen it's the same deal. In fact in the entire game that's the only thing that has graphical glitches, the sky backdrops.

In other games it's just random textures here and there. It's not like when your gpu dies and you get that stuff everywhere all the time.

And like I said, I don't get any of those black dots on any game when I just play from the disc.

I'm using 4.0J firmware with Cios Rev14 & the latest version of various loaders.

Could that be artifacting? Weird it doesn't happen with discs, though..

eznark

Banned
Messed around with it today, got it working just in time for my brother-in-laws birthday party. The wiki is so dope. Thanks guys.

Also played some NSMB (which has been sitting unopened for a month or so)...such a fun game in the purest sense.

Echoes said:
How do I know? I'm sure I didn't update to 4.2 via the message Nintendo sent to the dashboard. I think NSMB Wii updated my console though I'm not sure to what version.

If you go to "Wii Settings" you'll see the version number in the upper right hand corner.

Clipper

Magik said:
Alright, so I've updated my Wii to 4.2U based on the GAF Wiki guide, but when I load in NSMB or Dead Space through the disc channel, its asking to install a system update.

Should I update?
Dead Space just wants to install an IOS. Let it. NSMB Wii wants to install the new boot2 (which is the dangerous part of the 4.2 update that is skipped via the safe updater). You can skip it by using the method for avoiding updates which is now on the Wiki.

mclem said:
My Wii has most of the basic homebrew stuff installed, and it's updated to 4.2; everything seems to be fully working.

My parents are currently looking into buying a Wii. Over Christmas, I'll be going there to visit them so they can try out a few games I'd recommend and see if they'd like them.

I've been wondering whether to also hack their Wii while I'm there; to that end, I've bought myself a 4GB SDHC card. I'm intending to replace my current (1GB) SD card with this one and give them the old 1GB card.

If I were to just dump the data from the 1GB card to the 4GB card using a PC, would everything Just Work at my end? As well as having my homebrew the card's also got my Virtual Console and Wiiware collection, and it'd be nice to just do a bulk copy without having to worry about redownloading those items.
This should work fine.

Secondly, once I've cleared off the VC and Wiiware titles, would there be anything amongst the homebrew titles (Particularly MPlayerCE; that's the main reason for hacking their Wii) on the original card which would be configured for *my* Wii and should be fully reinstalled for the new one?
Perhaps BootMii, but I think even that will work just fine on someone else's Wii.

Thirdly, and drifting a little away from homebrew stuff directly: Are the demos downloaded from the shop channel on an open license or still locked to the downloading Wii? Mum and Dad are on a rather limited net connection and so it'd be nice if I could download the demos at my end and then copy the installation over to them, meaning they avoid having to actually carry out the downloads.
I don't know about this one.

Ok, people, planning to get a Wii mid-January. Was going for HK one, but might get one where I live just for the guarantee. So I have a couple of questions.

I would like to:

1. Be able to rip my ORIGINAL Wii Games to HDD, both from my region (Europe PAL) and others (US, Japan). Again, all of them will be ripped from ORIGINAL discs.

2. Be able to play them on the Wii using a portable HDD connected by USB.

Questions: can I do that? does it requires Homebrew Channel or a chip (which will probably be illegal in this forum)? If I buy Black Wii do you think I can install the Homebrew Channel, or is it like PSP, where the newest copies have motherboard changed, thus preventing any downgrading/installing homebrew, etc.?

Thank for all the info. Sorry if it sounds basic, but as opposed to PSP, Wii Homebrew sounds a bit more complicated so I want to be 100% sure.

Castor Krieg said:
Ok, people, planning to get a Wii mid-January. Was going for HK one, but might get one where I live just for the guarantee. So I have a couple of questions.

I would like to:

1. Be able to rip my ORIGINAL Wii Games to HDD, both from my region (Europe PAL) and others (US, Japan). Again, all of them will be ripped from ORIGINAL discs.

Questions: can I do that? does it requires Homebrew Channel or a chip (which will probably be illegal in this forum)? If I buy Black Wii do you think I can install the Homebrew Channel, or is it like PSP, where the newest copies have motherboard changed, thus preventing any downgrading/installing homebrew, etc.?

Thank for all the info. Sorry if it sounds basic, but as opposed to PSP, Wii Homebrew sounds a bit more complicated so I want to be 100% sure.

All your answers are inside, in step-by-step format.

Castor Krieg said:

I would like to:

1) USB Loaders let you do this, best one being cfg USB Loader.

2) this works just fine and is actually suggested. You can get portable HDDs that connect via USB and are USB powered, making it less hassle to use and taking up less space.

You will need homebrew channel installed or at least some form of homebrew enabling on it. Until they put out a new firmware beyond 4.2 that might block bannerbomb (which will probably be defeated anyway) you can hack any Wii with just a simple SD card, bannerbomb and a bit of patience and reading the above posted GAF Wii Homebrew wiki.

My friend was on the IOS249 part of the tutorial (4.2U), and she was unable to do the following and skipped it:

12. Run apps/ATDM/boot.dol from the Homebrew Channel
13. Select IOS236 as the IOS to start and push A to confirm.
14. Navigate to "System Titles" and push A to confirm
15. Select "IOS222" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
16. Select "IOS223" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
17. Select "IOS249" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
18. Select "IOS250" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
19. Push Home to exit AnyTitle Deleter Mod

And now the CFG USB-Loader freezes on the title screen every time she starts it. Since I'm on 4.0, I'm not exactly sure how to help her here. Any suggestions?

Apparently trying to delete would yield an error message.

Clipper

silverbullet1080 said:
My friend was on the IOS249 part of the tutorial (4.2U), and she was unable to do the following and skipped it:

12. Run apps/ATDM/boot.dol from the Homebrew Channel
13. Select IOS236 as the IOS to start and push A to confirm.
14. Navigate to "System Titles" and push A to confirm
15. Select "IOS222" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
16. Select "IOS223" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
17. Select "IOS249" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
18. Select "IOS250" and push A to delete then A again to confirm.
19. Push Home to exit AnyTitle Deleter Mod

And now the CFG USB-Loader freezes on the title screen every time she starts it. Since I'm on 4.0, I'm not exactly sure how to help her here. Any suggestions?

Apparently trying to delete would yield an error message.
That sounds like the problem when IOS236 was not installed with the correct patches. It could also be a problem of not realising to use left/right to choose IOS236 at step 13. Ask her to start again.

SS4Rob

Just thought I'd share my experience with preparing for retail New Super Mario Bros Wii disc for a friend. My buddy's Wii was 4.0U with HBC 1.0.3 and cIOS rev 10 (he doesn't keep up with the homebrew side much, heh). Also his Wii Shop wanted an update. First I let the HBC update itself to 1.0.6 and installed DVDX & BootMii (set it up autoboot after zero seconds, what do I need to hold to force it to appear?). Second I upgraded to cIOS rev 15 using 249. Next I ran Safe Updater 4.2 - forth time was the charm (it bailed out to the HBC when it failed, stayed in the app and said "success" when it finished properly, standing the Wii up to get better Wi-fi I think helped, lol). The wiki says I need to run a Wii Shop updater next, but I did not - just running Safe Updater 4.2 got me on the Wii Shop Channel (v17) successfully. From there, I ran Start Patch and disabled disc and online updates (didn't select skip update checks since I'm running the latest DVDX and HBC, amirite?) and hit save. After a restart the NSMBW disc loaded just fine - thanks GAF!

As a side note, before I did ANY of the above, for giggles I upgraded his Cfg USB Loader to 50b and plugged in my hard drive to try and play NSMBW.. and it played just fine despite his old hackery:) But hey, at least he has the latest everything and will be fine for quite a while.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is it common to have the Homebrew Channel vanish after an update?

I've had the HBC for a while now (installed it via the Twilight Hack back when it was still possible). I updated my launch PAL Wii through the disc update on NSMB and everything worked fine. A few minutes ago I installed the Wii Shop update, and now my HBC's gone.

What would you advise me to do? I hear Bannerbomb's the thing to try, but it requires an external HDD, doesn't it? I don't have one...

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
Is it common to have the Homebrew Channel vanish after an update?
Yes.

I've had the HBC for a while now (installed it via the Twilight Hack back when it was still possible). I updated my launch PAL Wii through the disc update on NSMB and everything worked fine. A few minutes ago I installed the Wii Shop update, and now my HBC's gone.
You could have avoided that.

What would you advise me to do? I hear Bannerbomb's the thing to try, but it requires an external HDD, doesn't it? I don't have one...
No it doesn't.

Clipper

And seeing as we have the new page:

For all your questions about homebrew, check the GAF guide by clicking this image first, or there will be dire consequences:

Right, so the CFG USB-Loader works... sometimes. When I turn it on, 90% of the times it'll do the 30 second countdown, the other 10% it'll actually read my HDD and I have no idea why.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Quick questions. So I hacked my NTSC/US Wii with HomeBrow Channel, HomeBrew Browser and Gekko OS.

1. Now I'm trying to play New Super Mario Bros Wii (PAL). When trying to start it from Gekko OS it says "This game requires IOS 53 Install IOS53-64-v5149.wad" and if I press cancel I can't play. Is it safe to update it?

2. My Wii says there is a system update available. Is it safe to update my Wii?

Clipper

silverbullet1080 said:
Right, so the CFG USB-Loader works... sometimes. When I turn it on, 90% of the times it'll do the 30 second countdown, the other 10% it'll actually read my HDD and I have no idea why.
Could be spindown. Try using IOS222 if you aren't already (add ios=222-mload to config.txt).

Chittagong said:
Quick questions. So I hacked my NTSC/US Wii with HomeBrow Channel, HomeBrew Browser and Gekko OS.

1. Now I'm trying to play New Super Mario Bros Wii (PAL). When trying to start it from Gekko OS it says "This game requires IOS 53 Install IOS53-64-v5149.wad" and if I press cancel I can't play. Is it safe to update it?
Yes.

2. My Wii says there is a system update available. Is it safe to update my Wii?
http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade-FAQ.

Clipper

Chittagong said:
Thanks Clipper. So cool to update with NSMBW but better not do the console update (not that they'd offer a huge load of stuff either)
Well, only if Gecko is doing the update for you (of IOS53). Don't update from the NSMB disc as it contains the same chance of bricking as the official update. You can also use DOP-IOS Mod to install the needed IOS if Gecko won't do it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there any chance of using the UK store on my US Wii now that I've got it Homebrewed? I would want to buy legit stuff from WiiWare and Virtual Console.

Clipper

Chittagong said:
Is there any chance of using the UK store on my US Wii now that I've got it Homebrewed? I would want to buy legit stuff from WiiWare and Virtual Console.
While it is possible, it is extremely dangerous and any update from Nintendo would brick you.

I got Metroid Prime Trilogy for cheap but poor thing won't work. Part one works without problems (I played like 2-3 minutes) but part two wont even load :( I have alternative dols ripped and on my memory card. Any ideas? I'm on rev 14 and using Usb Loader GX latest daily build...
I never updated to rev 15 as I read somewhere it was buggy and besides all my games worked without problems on rev 14

Chittagong said:
The answer was yes until October 23rd 2008 and even then you ran into massive compatibility problems with the Virtual Console (due to EU VC only supporting PAL50 and occasionally PAL60 while US games requiring NTSC60...for some reason WiiWare didn't have these issues).

The question now should be why would you want to (the EU store has hardly anything to offer compared to the US). If you're having trouble getting points for the US store (due to asking for address details) set the country to Brazil (since it only asks for postcode and provided you're in the UK...the same postcode format is used*). Failing that, you can buy points cards on the internet.

The above paragraph was compiled using information from here

*-What gets me is both Japan and the UK are really easy to buy points for. No address info needed at all.

Clipper

Melhisedek said:
I got Metroid Prime Trilogy for cheap but poor thing won't work. Part one works without problems (I played like 2-3 minutes) but part two wont even load :( I have alternative dols ripped and on my memory card. Any ideas? I'm on rev 14 and using Usb Loader GX latest daily build...
I never updated to rev 15 as I read somewhere it was buggy and besides all my games worked without problems on rev 14
Firstly, you don't need to have any alternative dols on the SD card, and in fact they are likely what's causing your problem.

The alternative .dol method of Configurable is really easy to use. GX has a similar method, but I can't tell you how to access it (although I guarantee you don't need to extract any of the .dols).

Additionally, GX won't let you force 480p like Cfg will. In Cfg, set video to Force NTSC and video_patch to all and 480p will be forced (assuming your TV supports it).

Having said all that, the best way to play it is just with the original disc due to the restrictions of playing via USB loaders (forced Veteran difficulty and first save slot).

As for rev 15, it was only buggy for one loader and for piracy apps. It's definitely less buggy than rev 14 which wouldn't have even installed MPT properly for you (you will need to rerip it with rev 15 or IOS222 to get MP3 to play).

xero273

I looked at the bootmii page of the wiki, but couldn't find the amount of space a nand backup will take. Is this number just different for everyone? I have a 512mb card that has geckoOS and usbloader. I just want to make sure I have enough space for the nand backup. Thanks.

xero273 said:
I looked at the bootmii page of the wiki, but couldn't find the amount of space a nand backup will take. Is this number just different for everyone? I have a 512mb card that has geckoOS and usbloader. I just want to make sure I have enough space for the nand backup. Thanks.
A Nand backup takes up 528MB (540,673 KB).

It is a 1:1 copy of the entire filesystem so yes even if it most of it is empty it will still be that size.

Clipper

Bizzyb said:
Hey Clipper, Step 5 of tInstalling Waninkoko's IOS24 says to

http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249

" 5. Unrar mod6b.rar and copy boot.dol to sd:/apps/ATDM/"

But I have no idea where mod6b.rar is. I didn't see it in the TBR folder or anywhere else on the Wiki page.
The What to Download section includes "AnyTitle Deleter Mod v6b from this page". You'll see the link to download it in the box at the right.

Starwolf_UK said:
A Nand backup takes up 528MB (540,673 KB).

It is a 1:1 copy of the entire filesystem so yes even if it most of it is empty it will still be that size.
Thanks for the info. I previously had:

"Spare 512MB of space on an SD/SDHC card if you want to perform a Wii backup"

in the what is needed section of the page, but I updated it to 528MB.

xero273

Clipper said:
The What to Download section includes "AnyTitle Deleter Mod v6b from this page". You'll see the link to download it in the box at the right.

Thanks for the info. I previously had:

"Spare 512MB of space on an SD/SDHC card if you want to perform a Wii backup"

in the what is needed section of the page, but I updated it to 528MB.

so it was in there. oops sorry I missed reading it. Thanks everyone for the info.

So I was wondering exactly what's so appealing about Wii Homebrew and didn't want to shit up that other thread.

I was looking over this list of apps and games and such and didn't really notice anything amazing... I mean, I guess there's some utility stuff in there that's good but I don't really get the hype. Is this all mainly about USB loading?

Top Bottom