• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Ledsen

Clipper said:
It seems safe enough. I use it to run CSI: Deadly Intent (which doesn't work with Gecko OS for some reason). It is also a little more convenient than Gecko OS seeing as it is always available.

Awesome!

I'm also wondering if there's any safe way to change the region of my shop channel? The PAL store has completely crippled SNES and NES games (amongst others) and I'd like to use the US one instead. If it involves changing the region of my whole Wii, I guess I'm okay with that as long as it won't give me huge problems down the road.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bah, now even WiiScu gives me some "http error" problem... I give up for the time being -__-

Out of curiosity, how come of the list of the IOS that WiiScu gives me (16, 38, 60 and 61) only 61 is the one to update according to the wiki?
I don't need those as well? If I'm not wrong in the case of IOS60 it's better to not updated it if you wanto to use Preloader, right? What about the others?

Also, since Wiiscu and Marc's don't work for me, what about Dop-Ios method, can I use that one to do a Shop update (I read on wiibrew that it started as a modification of Tona's Shop installer but I don't see it on Clipper's wiki so maybe not)? In case, would that be safe?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Someone is trying to send me a gift with no success, and he suggested that maybe the Homebrew Channel or something I installed messed up my Wii Shop Channel.

Is that possible?

I followed all the instructions on the GAF Wiki, and didn't install anything that wasn't listed there.

If that's the case, is there some way to "clear" things up and revert the Wii to the state it was pre-Homebrew?

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Bah, now even WiiScu gives me some "http error" problem... I give up for the time being -__-

Out of curiosity, how come of the list of the IOS that WiiScu gives me (16, 38, 60 and 61) only 61 is the one to update according to the wiki?
I don't need those as well? If I'm not wrong in the case of IOS60 it's better to not updated it if you wanto to use Preloader, right? What about the others?

Also, since Wiiscu and Marc's don't work for me, what about Dop-Ios method, can I use that one to do a Shop update (I read on wiibrew that it started as a modification of Tona's Shop installer but I don't see it on Clipper's wiki so maybe not)? In case, would that be safe?
You can give it a try, but I think it won't work (unless you can find a version that forces downloading of v18 instead of trying to get the latest version). Then again, if you use NUS Downloader to manually download v18, you should be able to get Dop-IOS Mod to install that .WAD for you and all should be good :).

Brazil said:
Someone is trying to send me a gift with no success, and he suggested that maybe the Homebrew Channel or something I installed messed up my Wii Shop Channel.

Is that possible?

I followed all the instructions on the GAF Wiki, and didn't install anything that wasn't listed there.

If that's the case, is there some way to "clear" things up and revert the Wii to the state it was pre-Homebrew?
I don't think it is possible for homebrew to have messed you up like that. To send you a gift, both of you just need to be Wii friends and your Wiis need to have the same country code set. Check the country setting on both Wiis before doing anything drastic.

The only way to clear things up is to revert to a BootMii backup you made before installing homebrew, but that relies on you having made one. An official update to 4.2 would probably be a better choice for testing if it's homebrew that's giving you the shop problems.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Clipper said:
I don't think it is possible for homebrew to have messed you up like that. To send you a gift, both of you just need to be Wii friends and your Wiis need to have the same country code set. Check the country setting on both Wiis before doing anything drastic.

The only way to clear things up is to revert to a BootMii backup you made before installing homebrew, but that relies on you having made one. An official update to 4.2 would probably be a better choice for testing if it's homebrew that's giving you the shop problems.
Yeah, both Wii are set up to the same country, and I don't have a BootMii backup from before I installed all the homebrew stuff. And my Wii is already 4.2.

I guess I'm stuck without a gift, haha.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hey guys, I'm asking this question for a friend of mines.

He recently installed homebrew on his Wii (never thought he would actually do it) and now he wants to know if the DVD player program (I believe it's called DVDX or something to that degree) will run on his 4.2 firmware...?

I honestly have no idea and have looked a couple of places for the answer but could not find one. Any help on an answer would be Greatly Appreciated.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
You can give it a try, but I think it won't work (unless you can find a version that forces downloading of v18 instead of trying to get the latest version). Then again, if you use NUS Downloader to manually download v18, you should be able to get Dop-IOS Mod to install that .WAD for you and all should be good :)

Oh, cool! I'll look into NUS downloader on wiibrew if it's there and try to do that.
Since WiiScu told me that IOS60 without the Trucha bug was installed (it just reboots to HBC when it finishes to install the Shop update), I'm done with IOS61 or I need to resinstall that one again as well?

Also concerning my previous post, I can skip downloading all those others IOSes (16, 38 and 60)?

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Oh, cool! I'll look into NUS downloader on wiibrew if it's there and try to do that.
Since WiiScu told me that IOS60 without the Trucha bug was installed (it just reboots to HBC when it finishes to install the Shop update), I'm done with IOS61 or I need to resinstall that one again as well?

Also concerning my previous post, I can skip downloading all those others IOSes (16, 38 and 60)?
Yes, I don't think you need to update the other IOSes, and you probably don't need to install IOS61 again.

Hero

Hey Clipper, I know I asked you before but I never got around to getting an external hard drive 'till now.

Following your guide and just wanted to ask, is there a way to verify if I've installed IOS249 yet?

Clipper

Hero said:
Hey Clipper, I know I asked you before but I never got around to getting an external hard drive 'till now.

Following your guide and just wanted to ask, is there a way to verify if I've installed IOS249 yet?
Dop-IOS, Title Lister or AnyTitle Deleter should all tell you what's on your Wii. There are other apps too. Wiibrew.org has them all if you want to try them out.

Hero

Clipper said:
Dop-IOS, Title Lister or AnyTitle Deleter should all tell you what's on your Wii. There are other apps too. Wiibrew.org has them all if you want to try them out.

Thanks. Ran it and didn't see it, so I'll get on that. Thanks again.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've been trying to find this info on the wiki but no success: is there a way to play import discs without going to Gecko OS every single time? Say, from the Disc Channel it would be fine.

I don't want to use a hard drive or SD Card. I mean directly from the disc.

Clipper

Regulus Tera said:
I've been trying to find this info on the wiki but no success: is there a way to play import discs without going to Gecko OS every single time? Say, from the Disc Channel it would be fine.

I don't want to use a hard drive or SD Card. I mean directly from the disc.
You probably want to use the region free patches in StartPatch. You can get instructions on the page for avoiding disc updates.

Ledsen said:
:( So what could happen if I do change the region?

You eff up your system, because you essentially need to change the region of your ENTIRE WII, not just the shop channel, and that is just not happening at this time.

There was a project in development called SNEEK that would allow you to run a fully-emulated NAND memory that you could mess with without any consequences, but the dev (crediar?) stopped working on it because some of the code he used turned out to be illegal so he had to start from scratch.

SO, this weekend I converted my half-WBFS/half-NTFS drive to full-on NTFS. Many thanks to

for linking to the wbfs_file tool and providing a succinct, easy-to-follow walkthrough and saving me from actually having to think for two seconds about what to do.

Ledsen

HisshouBuraiKen said:
You eff up your system, because you essentially need to change the region of your ENTIRE WII, not just the shop channel, and that is just not happening at this time.

There was a project in development called SNEEK that would allow you to run a fully-emulated NAND memory that you could mess with without any consequences, but the dev (crediar?) stopped working on it because some of the code he used turned out to be illegal so he had to start from scratch.

SO, this weekend I converted my half-WBFS/half-NTFS drive to full-on NTFS. Many thanks to
http://gwht.wikidot.com/local--files/start/logo.png[IMG][/URL]
for linking to the wbfs_file tool and providing a succinct, easy-to-follow walkthrough and saving me from actually having to think for two seconds about what to do.[/QUOTE]

so it's no longer possible to change the region of your entire system?

Ledsen

HisshouBuraiKen said:
I'm speaking from memory, but I think you at LEAST end up with a semi-brick if not a full-on one.

:( I should've kept my NTSC Wii (bought a PAL one for RGB)... now I'll never buy any VC games :(

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Which method ended up working? I may add it as a third option ;).

WiiSCU *but* I had to make sure to run it two times separately: the first time just to update IOS61, then after that I exited the program. Rebooting HBC and make sure I had the network icon turned on (white) and then I ran WiiScu a second time to download and install the Shop Update. Voila'!

I know it sounds crazy, but before that I tried three times WiiScu (and two times Marc's) and everytime it rebooted to HBC while trying to install the shop update, so I tried to just do it one step at the time and it finally worked.

Also, to make sure the network was stable and avoid having http errors or being stuck on "initializing network" I had to put the usb Lan adapter on the botton USB input (the same usb connection I need to make the various USB Loaders work with the HDD since some CIOS rev. update).

Thanks for all the help! :D

Ledsen said:
:( I should've kept my NTSC Wii (bought a PAL one for RGB)... now I'll never buy any VC games :(

You can still buy:
most SNES games. (576i with proper PAL conversion, no borders/slower music or gameplay)
all import SNES games
import NES games
all Turbografx16/PC-Engine/CD games
C-64 games
most N64 games (576i proper PAL conv., no borders/slower music or gameplay.. no progressive scan though)
VC Arcade games

Avoid at all costs:

Neo-Geo games (we'll see if/when imported games get a release how they manage)
Megadrive games (even imports... that's fucking crazy, die in a fire Sega Europe and your crappy Musha Aleste! -__-)
NES games
Master System games

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Dash Kappei said:
The wiki mentions Prime Trilogy (Yeah, I know that otherwise it boots in 480i with CFG but otherwise the games does support 480p originally), so the only games I know wich actually do force 480p are Mario Party 8 PAL and Kororimpa. Are there others? I can't seem to find any kind of list of supported games on the wiki (or even googleing), even if incomplete or unofficial.
Others that I know of are Spider-Man 3, The Simpsons Game, Madworld and Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2.

Are you sure about Madoworld?
Can you tell me what settings do you have?
I can't seem to make it work, only in 480i or a black screen which freezes my Wii (even the remote doesn't respond anymore).

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Are you sure about Madoworld?
Can you tell me what settings do you have?
I can't seem to make it work, only in 480i or a black screen which freezes my Wii (even the remote doesn't respond anymore).
Well, I haven't got the game myself, but someone confirmed it worked (although maybe only PAL works or something).

In any case, to get it going, go to the options page for the game and set video = Force NTSC and video_patch = All.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Well, I haven't got the game myself, but someone confirmed it worked (although maybe only PAL works or something).

In any case, to get it going, go to the options page for the game and set video = Force NTSC and video_patch = All.

:D :D :D :D

It works, I love ya!
(NTSC copy, that means the game is in anamorphic widescreen as well)

(although I had already find an old post of yours with those settings literally 20seconds ago).

It looks SOOOO much better now, everything is more distinct now, so even gameplay gets enhanced (I love the artstyle but for the love of god how could they release a game where you can't make out characters from the background.. that puts off every person I show the game to -__-)

Dash Kappei

Shout out:

Metal Slug Anthology works with CGF in 480p :D
The visual enhancement is simply ASTOUNDING: It looks like a painting, while before the game was all blurry and stuff. This one has to be the biggest improvement yet by going from 480i to 480p.

Also, these games don't work in 480p:

Tenchu 4
Little King's Story (or at least the PAL version doesn't)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I can't for the life of me get smb sharing to work. I have a proper smb server running on a linux machine that I access from all the other devices in my apt, but I haven't gotten any of the smb-enabled wii apps to connect to it properly.

Right now, my goal is to just host snes roms there. Hell, right now my goal is simply to see a shared directory from the wii homebrew snes emu.

IIRC the smb config fields in the snes emu are something like:

SMB share IP:
SMB share name:
SMB share user:
SMB share password:

one thing i'm not sure on is what "SMB share name" is. I thought it didnt matter and could just be whatever human-readable name i wanted to use for the connection, but i still don't really know.

here's a simplified version of the smb.conf on the linux machine:

Code:
[global]
workgroup = Workgroup
netbios name = Aperture-Lnx
encrypt passwords = yes

[music]
    path = /local/shared/music
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

[testsmb]
    path = /local/shared/test
    read only = no
    browseable = yes

-The local ip for the server is 192.168.1.6
-I created a samba user "wii" with password "password"

so what is wrong with the following wii snes smb settings

SMB share IP: 192.168.1.6
SMB share name: testsmb
SMB share user: wii
SMB share password: password

I've tried 'Workgroup', 'testsmb', and 'Aperture-Lnx' in the 'SMB share name" field, none of which made any difference. I can access the 'music' and 'testsmb' shares fine from other devices, just not the Wii . What am I missing, GAF?

Are Gamecube games region-locked i.e. even if I can play games from all regions on homebrew-enabled Wii my Gamecube games need to be the same region as my console? Can I play Gamecube games from USB Loader?

Shafto

You can definitely play import GC games through the Wii. I think Gecko does it, and also straight from the disc channel using StarPatch (or similar).

Slightly off topic, but anyone know a good tutorial, or who can point me in the right direction for setting up Wii Controller drivers on my PC?

I have a Bluetooth dongle and i'd love to use the Nunchuk/Mouse combo in place of a keyboard.

Dash Kappei

Castor Krieg said:
Are Gamecube games region-locked i.e. even if I can play games from all regions on homebrew-enabled Wii my Gamecube games need to be the same region as my console?

You can play any region GC games with Gecko.

Can I play Gamecube games from USB Loader?[/QUOTE]

No.

Anony

Dash Kappei said:
Shout out:

Metal Slug Anthology works with CGF in 480p :D
The visual enhancement is simply ASTOUNDING: It looks like a painting, while before the game was all blurry and stuff. This one has to be the biggest improvement yet by going from 480i to 480p.

Also, these games don't work in 480p:

Tenchu 4
Little King's Story (or at least the PAL version doesn't)

placebo
or just your tv
there should be no difference, it's the same signal

Clipper

Anony said:
placebo
or just your tv
No, there is a large difference.

480i is interlaced, meaning only the odd pixels or even pixels are replaced for each field timing. 480p is progressive, meaning every pixel is replaced for each field timing. Both systems have equal field refresh rates (60Hz), but 480p is sending twice as much data.

Another way to think about it is that the refresh time is 1/(60Hz) = 1/60 seconds. Every 1/60 seconds, a 480i signal updates either the pixels in the odd lines of the screen or the pixels in the even lines of the screen. Every 1/60 seconds, a 480p signal updates every pixel on the screen. Thus, 480p sends more data and has the potential to look sharper, as every pixel updates at the same time.

This is also why 540p and 1080i are often considered somewhat equivalent. Exactly the same amount of data is transmitted in exactly the same way for both formats. It is just the display method at the destination which determines the difference. For 540p, you have a full 1920*540 image which updates itself at the refresh rate. For 1080i, you use the 540 lines that arrive at the refresh rate to update either the odd or even lines of a 1920*1080 image.

JSnake

HELP

OK so my Wii system files have been corrupted and I have had Bootmii installed as both IOS and boot2 for several months. I don't know why I did this. I was confused during setup. Now I need to get it to Nintendo for repairs. However! I did remove HBC before my Wii broke via AnyTitleDeleter (it was already having problems so I wanted to get it into a status fit for repair) but didn't remove Bootmii. But the thing is, Bootmii never did boot up unless I have my SD card in the Wii. Right now, Bootmii doesn't appear period even with the SD card in there and my Wii doesn't do the second blue flash that is typically a sign of Bootmii upon booting. So, is it still safe to send my Wii in? Will Nintendo find any evidence of modding when the Wii won't even boot up properly?

Clipper

JSnake said:
HELP

OK so my Wii system files have been corrupted and I have had Bootmii installed as both IOS and boot2 for several months. I don't know why I did this. I was confused during setup. Now I need to get it to Nintendo for repairs. However! I did remove HBC before my Wii broke via AnyTitleDeleter (it was already having problems so I wanted to get it into a status fit for repair) but didn't remove Bootmii. But the thing is, Bootmii never did boot up unless I have my SD card in the Wii. Right now, Bootmii doesn't appear period even with the SD card in there and my Wii doesn't do the second blue flash that is typically a sign of Bootmii upon booting. So, is it still safe to send my Wii in? Will Nintendo find any evidence of modding when the Wii won't even boot up properly?
It's an out of warranty problem, so the fix would likely cost the same regardless of homebrew being detected (unless they can prove that it is your homebrew that bricked you).

As for BootMii not showing up, did you perform any system updates, perhaps to access the shop or otherwise, in the last few months? Or did you perform the update on the New Super Mario Bros. Wii disc? If so, then BootMii is gone.

hayama987

Well my wii has completely died. It used to occasionally go to a black screen after bootmii and never get to the wii menu with out me changing anything or installing anything. Usually I could just restore my nand with bootmii, but this time restoring the nand isnt fixing it. I've tried two different nand backups that I've used successfully before. Anyone ever had this problem or know how to fix it? Only stuff I've installed is from the installation faq.

jonezer4

I followed the GAF tutorial (really well done) and got configurable USB Loader working and installed all my games to my hard drive. The games play fine, but I have a problem that I first noticed in trying to download cover images. It connects, finds the image, then fails with an error something like "SD:\ is not accessible".

I figured I'd just manually download the files to my SD on my PC, went ahead and did that, and they still don't show up. I proceeded to try to save some settings in the USB Loader on the Wii (an alternate dol) and again got the "SD:\ is not accessible". So I'm pretty sure it's not reading the SD card at all. The loader itself loads off the SD fine from HBC and I've tried two separate SD cards with the same result. Any ideas?

JSnake

Clipper said:
It's an out of warranty problem, so the fix would likely cost the same regardless of homebrew being detected (unless they can prove that it is your homebrew that bricked you).

As for BootMii not showing up, did you perform any system updates, perhaps to access the shop or otherwise, in the last few months? Or did you perform the update on the New Super Mario Bros. Wii disc? If so, then BootMii is gone.

Yeah I did the update on the NSMBWii disc. So my Wii is broken but I won't have to shell out the cost for a new Wii? Yay!

Dash Kappei

Anony said:
placebo
or just your tv

Yes, that must be it! The very same interlaced and yet progressive signal.
Wait what?

LOL placebo effect

Dash Kappei

jonezer4 said:
So I'm pretty sure it's not reading the SD card at all. The loader itself loads off the SD fine from HBC and I've tried two separate SD cards with the same result. Any ideas?

Maybe the SD card is in "lock" status?
I had mine switched on lock without even noticing once...
I mean, it's reading the SD card since otherwise HBC would not show up at all, to me it seems like it's just not writeable (hence my thoughts about the lock-on)

Clipper

hayama987 said:
Well my wii has completely died. It used to occasionally go to a black screen after bootmii and never get to the wii menu with out me changing anything or installing anything. Usually I could just restore my nand with bootmii, but this time restoring the nand isnt fixing it. I've tried two different nand backups that I've used successfully before. Anyone ever had this problem or know how to fix it? Only stuff I've installed is from the installation faq.
Have you tried ejecting the SD card and letting it boot without BootMii? I can't think of what could have caused this problem. With BootMii, can you boot to the HBC?

jonezer4 said:
I followed the GAF tutorial (really well done) and got configurable USB Loader working and installed all my games to my hard drive. The games play fine, but I have a problem that I first noticed in trying to download cover images. It connects, finds the image, then fails with an error something like "SD:\ is not accessible".

I figured I'd just manually download the files to my SD on my PC, went ahead and did that, and they still don't show up. I proceeded to try to save some settings in the USB Loader on the Wii (an alternate dol) and again got the "SD:\ is not accessible". So I'm pretty sure it's not reading the SD card at all. The loader itself loads off the SD fine from HBC and I've tried two separate SD cards with the same result. Any ideas?
If your SD card isn't locked (which was my first guess, but Dash beat me to it), are you storing the files in the right location on the SD card (sd:/usb-loader/covers and subfolders by default)?

You might want to try using the Configurator to download the covers.

JSnake said:
Yeah I did the update on the NSMBWii disc. So my Wii is broken but I won't have to shell out the cost for a new Wii? Yay!
You will have to shell out the replacement fee, though ($75US I think).

Anony

no, if the game does not support 480p, then it's not 480p
the forcing 480p does not magically render the other half of the pixels, it's just a trick to send the signal so it displays properly on your tv

JSnake

Clipper said:
You will have to shell out the replacement fee, though ($75US I think).

No problem! Will I lose all my VC games and saves though? I have linked my Wii Shop account to my My Nintendo account.

Clipper

BrandNew said:
How do the Ocarina cheats work? How does one go about using them? For Twilight Princess, it says there are too many to load, which made me lol
The loader is limited to the number of cheats it can load. For TP, you will probably need to manually edit the .txt cheat file to remove some of the cheats you don't plan to use. There's a cheats folder on the SD and README-CFG.txt is the best place to look for more info.

Anony said:
no, if the game does not support 480p, then it's not 480p
the forcing 480p does not magically render the other half of the pixels, it's just a trick to send the signal so it displays properly on your tv
How do you know this? I always thought the game fills the display buffer and the output mode determines how the frame buffer is read. Now it is possible that these games that don't support progressive by default are also only filling in half the pixels within the frame buffer for each field, but we can't say for sure without knowing how they are coded. Also, even if the game were only updating half the frame, there is still twice as much data being sent (even if duplicated) meaning the TV does not need to do any interpolation and can still display a better image.

Somnid

JSnake said:
No problem! Will I lose all my VC games and saves though? I have linked my Wii Shop account to my My Nintendo account.

If it's through Nintendo they will restore your VC games however if your file system is corrupted you will lose all of your locked saves because they will tell you it's not recoverable. Everything else you can backup on an SD card assuming you can still use your Wii to do that.

JSnake

Somnid said:
If it's through Nintendo they will restore your VC games however if your file system is corrupted you will lose all of your locked saves because they will tell you it's not recoverable. Everything else you can backup on an SD card assuming you can still use your Wii to do that.

Nah, my Wii is a brick. As soon as I press the power button I get the corrupted files message so no backing up for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but locked saves are just for online games right? So I'll keep all my saves for single player games?

hayama987

Clipper said:
Have you tried ejecting the SD card and letting it boot without BootMii? I can't think of what could have caused this problem. With BootMii, can you boot to the HBC?

With out the sd card just goes straight to no signal screen/black screen depending on tv. I've tried to boot into hbc through bootmii and same issue. I'm on newest bootmii/homebrew also.

jonezer4

Dash Kappei said:
Maybe the SD card is in "lock" status?
I had mine switched on lock without even noticing once...
I mean, it's reading the SD card since otherwise HBC would not show up at all, to me it seems like it's just not writeable (hence my thoughts about the lock-on)

Yeah I tried that, switched the little switch back and forth, tried it both ways. No change. Also, everything appears to be in the right (default) directory. I'd try using the configurator, but I doubt it'll change anything as the problem appears to be that the USB Loader isn't writing, nor reading anything from the card. It's almost as if just the Configurable USB Loader doesn't like writing or reading from my SD card, while nothing else seems to have a problem with it. ???

Top Bottom