• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Mejilan said:
Updated to Cfg USB Loader v38 yesterday, and it seems all kinds of solid.
I also updated Hermes cIOS202/222/223 to v3 last night, and that seems to have broken Cfg USB Loader. I had to switch back to Wanin's cIOS249 rev14 last night just to get the loader working again.

Is this a known issue? Is it something that is slated to be fixed?
Yeah, oggzee has identified the v3 problem and plans to fix it sometime soon. When he does, it might break compatibility with v2, though. In any case, for now you should revert to using v2 of IOS222/223 (direct link to them is still in the tutorial)

Clipper

Magik said:
Quick question, is it possible to install more than one USB Loader at a time?
You don't install them. You run them off the SD card or hard drive... so yes, just put them in separate apps directories.

The Hermit

Well, my CFG Usb loader still works partially (have to turn on the loader and then the HD) to work... the only thing I noticed I changed was the IOS38 file that I used to install.
What´s the diference betweenn IOS38-64-v3609 and IOS38-64-v3610?

Never knew it had more than one version...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[HB Loaders related] CFG covers problem:

Wow, waiting on the new GAF theme then! I actually like even your first try at the font Clip :)

But, say, in coverflow mode I can't get the spines to show, how do I do it?
At first I tought I had to dowload 3D covers from muntrue and put them in the 3D covers folder of CFG, but doing so doesn't show anything at all and I have to put 'em in the parent folder (but then I get the blank spine on the covers).
What am I missing?

[HB GAMES related] Quake Wii updated:

Well, tonight I was dicking around with Quake Wii controls' settings since the game had an update not long ago and achieved perfection :)
Now, I have to say that I'm puzzled we haven't seen a Wiiware Ultimate Doom/Quake release or just more and more fps on Wii: There's really no excuse in messing up the controls, just friggin' copy and paste how Quake Wii do it (which is 4 steps above Prime 3, rightly so since Prime isn't a proper fps requiring super fast turning and precision). It's absolutely amazing, intense, precise, fast and immersive. I want moar. So much untapped potential here.

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
[HB Loaders related] CFG covers problem:

Wow, waiting on the new GAF theme then! I actually like even your first try at the font Clip :)

But, say, in coverflow mode I can't get the spines to show, how do I do it?
At first I tought I had to dowload 3D covers from muntrue and put them in the 3D covers folder of CFG, but doing so doesn't show anything at all and I have to put 'em in the parent folder (but then I get the blank spine on the covers).
What am I missing?
You need "full" covers. You can download them and put them into sd:/usb-loader/covers/full or set the "covers_path_full" option to point to them.

DanteFox

Since this thread has basically come to encompass both wii and ds homebrew, I guess I'll ask here:

Can the dsi run flashcarts like the cyclo ds evolution?

Clipper

More fun with fonts:
screenshot101.png

Look familiar? :D

Took me a little while to make this one as I had to shift all the characters over a bit to centre them as the default font creator left justifies them. This version of the font is a bit big, though. It can only display games of 39 characters or less. I'm going to give the italics version a go some time in the future, but I don't know if it will work.

Also, I'm unsure if I can actually release this font once I'm done, but we'll see :).

DanteFox

Sup guys, I'm starting to get more into the homebrew scene, and one of my friends made his wii menu black, so can anyone teach me how to do this. :D

I'd appreciate it very much. Black wii menu = 1337

HUELEN10

As per Dragona's advice, I have sent a PM to EviLore himself about the use of the logo/branding of NeoGAF. I will post nothing loader-related until I hear back from him, just a heads up.

Nabs

Dash Kappei said:

Well, tonight I was dicking around with Quake Wii controls' settings since the game had an update not long ago and achieved perfection :)
Now, I have to say that I'm puzzled we haven't seen a Wiiware Ultimate Doom/Quake release or just more and more fps on Wii: There's really no excuse in messing up the controls, just friggin' copy and paste how Quake Wii do it (which is 4 steps above Prime 3, rightly so since Prime isn't a proper fps requiring super fast turning and precision). It's absolutely amazing, intense, precise, fast and immersive. I want moar. So much untapped potential here.

yep.

VAIL

Dash Kappei said:

This is pretty freaking awesome

Clipper

DanteFox said:
cmon.... someone at least link me to a tutorial regarding my previous question? :)
You need to use Preloader, I think. I can't help with that, I like to have my Wii with as few installed things as possible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is there any way to access the partition the USB loader makes, via PC?

Whats the usb coverflow loader of choice for most people then?

I've been using WiiFlow Beta 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rn3iC6qds

I love the animation and total flexibility / customisation of the display. I might work on a theme for it.

I can't get my rips of Wii Sports Resort or Grand Slam Tennis to load (they run from other loaders) - I think Hibern, the developer, needs to fix it a bit or something. I'm on rev14, so I dunno.

I've got the Wii booting straight into WiiFlow as well, with the home icon returning me to the system menu if I need it. Totally awesome!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Clipper said:
For what reason?

Because I'm a filthy pirate.

Not really, just curious. I'm the only person I know who buys games, despite my housemate and neighbour constantly on my back about it. I'm a wanna-be developer so I respect the work and want to give something back.

Also want to try and see if I can get a Wii game running on the emulator.

Thank's for the link, kamorra.

ShinNL

I regret using all 320GB's of my HDD for everything. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to format everything, make a 160 NTFS space and then let the rest be created by the USB loader? I hope not, ripping everything took like forever (I have 12 games).

Mudkips

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
DSi runs NO FLASHCARDS. Update killed it.

No need to yell.
My DSi still runs my AceKard 2i just fine, because I chose not to update my firmware.
Always check if shit gets broken before you update the firmware.

1.4 adds what? Facebook and maybe some speedups to the browser? I don't need that shit.
You get prompted when? When you do a manual update check or when you enter the DSiWare shop?

Most people with a DSi are still good to go.

Firmware updates will only break me when:
-Physical DSi games come out (with forced firmware updates)
-Something I NEED to buy hits the DSi shop
-A MUST HAVE feature is included in the firmware

I simply don't see any of those happening for a long time, unfortunately.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mejilan said:
I've added a draft tutorial for setting up FTPii as your Wii's FTP server, and two alternate programs as your computer's FTP client. I'd appreciate it if someone WITHOUT FTPii set up could run through it and test the tutorial.

I'll happily edit in and necessary corrections/clarifications.

I've tried to make the page consistent with the rest of Clipper's awesome contributions. Please be gentle. It's my first time contributing to resource.
I finally took the time to do this but I have a problem. The only folders I see on my Wii when I use either of the clients are 'nand' and 'isfs'. I can't see my WD HDD. I even tried plugging in a SD cards and a SDHC card and I can't see either of those either.

I have all the latest updates for everything on my Wii.

DanteFox

someone bricks their wii lol.

K, so here's the deal, so I'm pretty sure I've managed to do what is known as "bricking" my wii. I was trying to install a theme for my wii menu, but it failed, then the wii menu wouldn't load. It kept saying something was corrupted, yadda yadda yadda. So I managed to do pretty much the stupidest thing ever and set preloader to auto boot, so when I turn on my wii, it just shows the sentence saying that my data is corrupted, and nothing else loads. Not the health/safety screen, wii menu or even pre loader. Is there anyway to set preloader to boot again, or any other method to unbrick it? Or am I pretty much boned? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also feel free to laugh at me for being such a stupid noob, etc.

Clipper

New page and over 4000 posts, time for a reposting:

EatChildren said:
Because I'm a filthy pirate.

Not really, just curious. I'm the only person I know who buys games, despite my housemate and neighbour constantly on my back about it. I'm a wanna-be developer so I respect the work and want to give something back.

Also want to try and see if I can get a Wii game running on the emulator.

Thank's for the link, kamorra.
Sorry I had to ask that, but there are very few uses for WBFS managers that don't involve piracy, unlike USB Loader. The question gets asked every page or so of this thread and nobody gives an explanation of why they need to do this at first, so it does seem very suspicious. If you look back, you'll find that I do give the answer out on a valid response to the question (there's actually a page of the tutorial which explains one of them, although it's a little tricky to find).

No hard feelings, I hope.

Fuzzy said:
I finally took the time to do this but I have a problem. The only folders I see on my Wii when I use either of the clients are 'nand' and 'isfs'. I can't see my WD HDD. I even tried plugging in a SD cards and a SDHC card and I can't see either of those either.

I have all the latest updates for everything on my Wii.

I don't know why you can't see the SD card. Your HDD won't be seen unless it has a FAT (maybe NTFS as well) partition. Have you tried remounting the SD/USB inside FTPii? If you push B, it gives you a choice of locations to remount. If you're switching cards while FTPii is running, you definitely need to do that to get them to show up externally.

Also, I found I prefer to not use the clients at all, and just navigate to ftp://WII_IP/sd in Windows Explorer to get a standard folder interface.

Mudkips said:
No need to yell.
My DSi still runs my AceKard 2i just fine, because I chose not to update my firmware.
Always check if shit gets broken before you update the firmware.

1.4 adds what? Facebook and maybe some speedups to the browser? I don't need that shit.
You get prompted when? When you do a manual update check or when you enter the DSiWare shop?

Most people with a DSi are still good to go.

Firmware updates will only break me when:
-Physical DSi games come out (with forced firmware updates)
-Something I NEED to buy hits the DSi shop
-A MUST HAVE feature is included in the firmware

I simply don't see any of those happening for a long time, unfortunately.
I think your sarcasm sense is misfiring. To me it seems HUELEN10 knew that not updating is an option.

Oh, and physical DSi games are out already, at least in the form of hybrid DS/DSi carts. You can almost guarantee these games have the ability to update DSis and new ones will be incorporating the update fairly quickly.

DanteFox said:
someone bricks their wii lol.

K, so here's the deal, so I'm pretty sure I've managed to do what is known as "bricking" my wii. I was trying to install a theme for my wii menu, but it failed, then the wii menu wouldn't load. It kept saying something was corrupted, yadda yadda yadda. So I managed to do pretty much the stupidest thing ever and set preloader to auto boot, so when I turn on my wii, it just shows the sentence saying that my data is corrupted, and nothing else loads. Not the health/safety screen, wii menu or even pre loader. Is there anyway to set preloader to boot again, or any other method to unbrick it? Or am I pretty much boned? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also feel free to laugh at me for being such a stupid noob, etc.
If you hold Reset on startup, Preloader is meant to not autoboot isn't it?

First time posting in this thread. So I had to say, Clipper your tutorial is awesome! This thread has been a great source for homebrew info before my account was activated.

Anyway, I recently did a long overdue IOS/USB Loader update. And while I love the latest version of USB Loader. I can't seem to get my MP3 to play. I made sure my config.txt had "music = 1" and my track is called music.mp3 both being in SD:/USB-loader. It's strange becuase it would work fine in older versions.

Oh and I too, have problems with Brawl with the latest IOS rev 14. I load it with Hermes 223 mloader and it seems to work fine (aside from a strange, maybe rare and unrelated, incident where my SD card stopped working and custom Textures wouldn't load.

Nabs

Update to the latest Loader (38 Release). 38b had an issue with music (the first letter had to be uppercase for some reason).

Clipper

Choppasmith said:
First time posting in this thread. So I had to say, Clipper your tutorial is awesome! This thread has been a great source for homebrew info before my account was activated.
You're welcome, as are the other people that have expressed gratitude but I haven't had a chance to thank :).

Anyway, I recently did a long overdue IOS/USB Loader update. And while I love the latest version of USB Loader. I can't seem to get my MP3 to play. I made sure my config.txt had "music = 1" and my track is called music.mp3 both being in SD:/USB-loader. It's strange becuase it would work fine in older versions.
Online update to the latest version and it should fix it. You need v38, not v38b (b stands for beta). Alternatively, just write the name of your file in and use the correct case. It seems it needed to be "Music.mp3" for the "music=1" option in 38b. Finally, if all else fails, use the "debug=1" option to see which files it is trying to load for music on startup.

Oh and I too, have problems with Brawl with the latest IOS rev 14. I load it with Hermes 223 mloader and it seems to work fine (aside from a strange, maybe rare and unrelated, incident where my SD card stopped working and custom Textures wouldn't load.
Brawl is not compatible with cIOS rev 14. It's the only game that features real problems, so it is still best to stay there and just use Hermes' IOS 222 or 233 for Brawl.

DanteFox

though I'm not sure I can articulate it.

So thanks to Clippers advice (thank you sooooooooo much <3) I was able to access the homebrew channel and install a couple of wads that essentially downgraded my firmware to 3.2U. Now my question is, do you guys think I might be able to update my firmware normally, or do you think it'd brick it again?

Clipper

DanteFox said:
though I'm not sure I can articulate it.

So thanks to Clippers advice (thank you sooooooooo much <3) I was able to access the homebrew channel and install a couple of wads that essentially downgraded my firmware to 3.2U. Now my question is, do you guys think I might be able to update my firmware normally, or do you think it'd brick it again?
Yes, I think a normal update should be OK, but install BootMii and make a backup of your Wii to SD first. That way you'll be safe if things go wrong again :D.

And sorry, but with your avatar, I can't resist...

DanteFox: What shall we do tonight, Clipper?
Clipper: What we do every night, DanteFox - try to take over our Wiis!

DanteFox

I'll try. Last time I tried to use bootmii it didn't work though, and I had to reformat my sd card each time I tried. Any idea why that could be?

Clipper

DanteFox said:
I'll try. Last time I tried to use bootmii it didn't work though, and I had to reformat my sd card each time I tried. Any idea why that could be?
Which version of Bootmii did you try? In any case, just follow the tutorial and you should hopefully be good. And try different SD cards if you have them. The mini-SD card I use to boot all my homebrew stuff, including BootMii, gets an error if I try to store a NAND image to it, but a different micro-SD card worked just fine.

DanteFox

I tried the one linked in your tutorial actually. I'll try bootmii tomorrow for sure. It sounds like something I need.

Clipper

v39b of Configurable is out. Get it online or see here. Important improvements:

• Coverflow transparency issues fixed. The reflections now properly occlude each other.
  • Ability to change the position of the GUI text.
  • Ability to lock the loader to one display mode so that you can't accidentally switch.

wii_HD

Neo Member
Okay I new to this but I have just received a Japanese Noir wii and would like to change everything to English my native language.

System menu is 4.0J

I have been reading the GAF tutorial and think it would be best to back up the NAND memory as a first step.

So as I understand I need to install The Homebrew Channel then Bootmii for the back up then install the Any Region Changer app.

The new region will be North America as I already have a number of US retail titles - would it be possible to run Japanese games via Geko OS or another program via Homebrew channel as I have a couple of Japanese exclusives releases.

Clipper

wii_HD said:
Okay I new to this but I have just received a Japanese Noir wii and would like to change everything to English my native language.

System menu is 4.0J

I have been reading the GAF tutorial and think it would be best to back up the NAND memory as a first step.

So as I understand I need to install The Homebrew Channel then Bootmii for the back up then install the Any Region Changer app.

The new region will be North America as I already have a number of US retail titles - would it be possible to run Japanese games via Geko OS or another program via Homebrew channel as I have a couple of Japanese exclusives releases.
This is almost certainly not going to work. You have a new Wii and they will almost certainly brick if you try to use Any Region Changer on them. Also, you can only install BootMii as an IOS, which won't protect you from the type of brick Any Region Changer will give you. However, you can safely install homebrew so that you can run all of your original discs (Gecko OS).

What you need to research is info on LU64 Wiis. If you find something that apparently allows Any Region Changer to be run on LU64 Wiis, then it might just work on yours. I really don't recommend it, though. You also might want to check the posts of Pubba in this thread. He tried to do the same thing.

Clipper

wii_HD said:
Not sure if my machine is a LU64 version.

My serial number starts with LJF.
Yeah, the Japanese serial numbers start with different codes. However, the LU64 Wiis started showing up in all regions about half-way through 2008. The black Wiis only just launched and will definitely have the new boot2 which stops you installing BootMii as an IOS and causes downgrades of most IOSes to brick the Wii.

Linkhero1

Clipper said:
v39b of Configurable is out. Get it online or see here. Important improvements:

• Coverflow transparency issues fixed. The reflections now properly occlude each other.
  • Ability to change the position of the GUI text.
  • Ability to lock the loader to one display mode so that you can't accidentally switch.
Man I'm way behind. I think I'm still on v34 haha

EatChildren

Query: Is it possible to get a channel on the main menu for the backup loader? Or is that a no-no around here?

I'd also like to add that I want to see a theme that displays all games as if they were lined up on a shelf, like DVD cases, with the spines facing towards you. Then have the ability to click a spine and the game come out of the shelf, allowing you to view the cover.

As much as I like the image management, the constant use of front on views makes it always seem a little bit more cluttered than it should be. Spine viewing would be a great way to organise.

Clipper

EatChildren said:
Query: Is it possible to get a channel on the main menu for the backup loader? Or is that a no-no around here?
Hmm... Let's check the tutorial...
GWHT said:
Can I make a channel for Configurable USB Loader instead of loading via HBC?

* Yes. You need a forwarder channel. This one by Narolez is by far the best forwarder channel currently available. However, be careful. Loading channels onto your Wii can be dangerous and you should probably backup with BootMii first.

Oh wait, you said backup loader? No clue then. I personally can't see any point in using disc loaders any more.

EatChildren

Clipper said:
Oh wait, you said backup loader? No clue then. I personally can't see any point in using disc loaders any more.

I meant the usb loader :p. This is the second time I haven't properly read the tutorial and asked a stupid question. Thanks!

Clipper

EatChildren said:
I meant the usb loader :p. This is the second time I haven't properly read the tutorial and asked a stupid question. Thanks!
No probs. Plenty of other people have also asked the question, so you're not the only one :p.

As for your stealth edited feature request, I was about to send it over to the Configurable coders, but I realised it wouldn't really fit with the other modes, due to the extra button press required.

Then again, pushing A on an all spine version would make it go to the menu screen which then does show you the front cover... would that be enough?

Is it safe for me to upgrade my firmware to 4.1? I haven't played anything on my SD card for fear of going through that god-awful Wii Sports Resort introduction video again.

I already have the HBC on my 4.0 Wii, but will updating to 4.1 brick / block anything and prevent me from adding the USB HDD functionality later on in the future?

Clipper

wackojackosnose said:
Is it safe for me to upgrade my firmware to 4.1? I haven't played anything on my SD card for fear of going through that god-awful Wii Sports Resort introduction video again.

I already have the HBC on my 4.0 Wii, but will updating to 4.1 brick / block anything and prevent me from adding the USB HDD functionality later on in the future?
http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade

Top Bottom