• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

VerTiGo

Banned
You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. I updated and currently posting this from my Wii. I'm simply curious to know if this update provides any enhancements instead of just trying undermine homebrew projects.

zigg

Popped my head back into the Nintendo forums and saw that at least one person got a free repair and an extra year warranty out of the deal.

I'm sure at least the call center is aware of this problem by now.

VerTiGo said:
You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. I updated and currently posting this from my Wii. I'm simply curious to know if this update provides any enhancements instead of just trying undermine homebrew projects.

You just got lucky. This is a warning, to say that there is a chance of getting bricked. It doesn't mean you will get bricked, just that there is a possibility.

Blizzard

Banned
I agree that even if it only affects a really small number of people it's a dumb and probably careless update. But just out of curiosity (I don't follow such things) has this ever happened with previous updates? i.e. a very small number of people have a flash operation go wrong and hose their system? Or did that not happen because they weren't messing with boot2 before?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In lighter news, I just played Perfect Dark on a 40" LCD with a classic controller. Awesome.

Dragona Akehi said:
If you updated to 4.2 and your Wii boots to the menu, you're fine.

I just did it and it updated without a hitch, took about 2-3 minutes. :)

So the people who are bricked for some reason had a problem such as it just stops or they turned it off? It says don't turn your Wii off. Well, good luck to everyone. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seraphis Cain said:
Eh? I thought Perfect Dark wasn't working on Wii64?

Menus are fucked and thus lacking any text, mission 1 crashes (didn't try it), and the speed is really varied often going really very slow. Plus there are some rendering issues.

But thanks to my memory from abusing the game back in the day I knew how to get into the combat simulator and gave it a whirl. It's still quite a bit off from being the way I want it to be, but it was nice to know something is there.

Roto13

So at this point, all of the big three have released console-bricking firmware. I'm half tempted to update and brick mine on purpose just because I've been having a few unrelated issues lately and I could cash in on the inevitable free repair. :p

Ramenman

thefro said:
Sounds like from reading the official Nintendo forum linked in the announcement that it's just a few people whose Wiis have been bricked from this. Some of them admit they powered off the console in the middle of the update.

It's not some massively widespread problem... the update has been out for a couple days.

IMHO, the "WARNING!" on this is way overblown and is more the homebrew community to try and sway opinion towards their side.

We shouldn't use the official Nintendo forums as a way to judge if the problem is widespread or not.

Moderation is doing its job.

http://static.hackmii.com/nintybrickfail.png
http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins...thread.id=29914&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

OMG Aero

Roto13 said:
So at this point, all of the big three have released console-bricking firmware. I'm half tempted to update and brick mine on purpose just because I've been having a few unrelated issues lately and I could cash in on the inevitable free repair. :p
At the moment it seems the chance of the update bricking your console is very small.

Taker666

zigg

Ramenman said:
We shouldn't use the official Nintendo forums as a way to judge if the problem is widespread or not.

Moderation is doing its job.

That said, I've seen pretty much the same few threads reporting the problem since I started checking it earlier in the day. They're not deleting the handful of threads I've seen each time. I don't know how many may have deleted in-between checks, but I haven't seen it happen... they could just be trying to keep the reports from flooding the forum outright.

Going by bushing's description of the problem and the little bits and pieces I know about Flash and ECC, it sounds to me like you'd have to have errored Flash in the boot2 area to experience a problem with the 4.2 update. The update code isn't properly writing out the extra bits that allow errors like these to be recovered from. I don't know what the rates on that are, but I have a hard time with the idea that they're all that massive, especially since that area never gets written to after it leaves the factory.

Don't take my speculation as gospel, though, in particular if a failed update will screw you. Waiting to see if they correct the problem seems to me to be the best idea. I'd wait myself if I hadn't already updated.

Datschge

Blizzard said:
Or did that not happen because they weren't messing with boot2 before?
They weren't and they should never have. The homebrew developers were not using said updating code in boot2 code for boomii since it was apparent how much it sucks. Now Nintendo itself went ahead and made it part of a non-update for everyone nevertheless. Classy.

Clipper

Wow. Just got caught up with everything. Shocked to see so much info come out while I was asleep.

I suggest a title change to:

"Nintendo are bricking some non-HBCed Wiis"

Just to stop these guys coming in to post that their system still works.

I love the new feature list for the HBC. Lots of tutorial to update today, though... sigh.

Nabs

i updated hbc, but forgot to update bootmii. will my old nand (v2) work with v4?

new hbc is cool. i like the grid view and the ability to delete programs.

jrricky

Banned
Clipper said:
Wow. Just got caught up with everything. Shocked to see so much info come out while I was asleep.

I suggest a title change to:

"Nintendo are bricking some non-HBCed Wiis"

Just to stop these guys coming in to post that their system still works.

I love the new feature list for the HBC. Lots of tutorial to update today, though... sigh.
I realize that you post a lot about this stuff. Are you part of the development team for the Homebrew Channel?

EatChildren

Clipper said:

By the way Clipper, I was playing around with the Hermes cIOS 222/223 installer, and there's a slight difference between the wording in the tutorial and what it says on the actual installer.

The tutorial suggests using 222 to merge IOS 37 with 38, and using 223 to merge IOS 60 with 38.

I remember the older version of the installer said pretty much this exactly, but now swaps the numbers around. Just a wording difference; instead of saying "Merge IOS 37 with IOS 38" it says "Merge IOS 38 with IOS 37", and likewise for the latter now saying "Merge IOS 38 with IOS 60".

It means the same thing, just backwards wording, and if you want to be a stickler for precision then you might feel like editing it.

Anyway, I got Dead Space working, I think. Oh, and there's a new version of CFG USB out I believe.

Somnid

This was bound to happen. Boot2 was never meant to be overwritten and there is a small chance that doing it will brick your Wii, in fact even if Nintendo's update code wasn't bad it can still happen. This was actually why Team Twiizers tried to create BootMii because they didn't think Nintendo would try to undo it knowing the risk. 360s had the same problem.

Even a fix won't make it completely safe, for non-homebrewers, you might as well get it over now, if it bricks then you'll probably get a free repair and warranty extension from Nintendo's Service Center. This also cannot effect newer Wii owners as Boot2 is unwritable in newer consoles.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Anony said:
looks like a update to HBC as well

about fucken time

yay!

*reads release notes*

If your Wii is set to 16:9 in the system menu options, HBC won’t strech the picture like it did on older versions. Unfortunately the fonts might look a little weird then, it really depends on the used display unit. Blame the lack of true widescreen support on the Wii for that.)

wow. with all due respect to the HBC guys, but blaming your inability do deal with anamorphic screens to the wii is rather amateurish.

anamorphic has been around long before the wii (imagine the hollywood companies blaming the DVD standard for any fuck-up with fonts), and is not going anywhere (the HD consoles, too, use anamorphic now and then. yeah, i know, *shock* & *gasp*), so HBC guys, more professionalism and less finger pointing. otherwise great work all around, again.

John Dunbar said:
wtf does "bricking" even mean?

"then start breaking bricks, wet nips?"

When you do a bad flash that renders the system inoperative, then the system because basically a pile of useless plastic, or about as useful as a brick. Thus, the term bricking your system because at that point it is about as useful as a brick.

I don't really play my wii anymore. But I will at some point in the future. Should I just take the dive when I get home tonight or just wait this all out and hope for some patch/bypass?

Edit: This is coming from someone that doesn't homebrew

Clipper

CultureClearance said:
I don't really play my wii anymore. But I will at some point in the future. Should I just take the dive when I get home tonight or just wait this all out and hope for some patch/bypass?
NO, unless you enjoy playing Russian Roulette. If you don't want to use homebrew, then wait for a safe update before you update your Wii as there is a minor chance the update will brick the Wii and there are absolutely zero feature benefits.

Clipper said:
NO, unless you enjoy playing Russian Roulette. If you don't want to use homebrew, then wait for a safe update before you update your Wii as there is a minor chance the update will brick the Wii and there are absolutely zero feature benefits.

Sounds good. Thank you for the help.

Somnid

Clipper said:

But any future update that touches Boot2 also will carry the same potential, those chips don't really have tested write tolerances. If it bricks now he's more likely to get good treatment from customer service because there will be others and especially if he's not playing it it would be better to break it now than later when something good comes out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Somnid said:
But any future update that touches Boot2 also will carry the same potential, those chips don't really have tested write tolerances. If it bricks now he's more likely to get good treatment from customer service because there will be others and especially if he's not playing it it would be better to break it now than later when something good comes out.

If that's what people really want to do, then go for it.

Somnid

Wario64 said:
If that's what people really want to do, then go for it.

The risk here would be his save files. If Boot2 gets corrupted they will give a refurb system and un-movable saves are wiped (the rest can be backed-up). If that's an unreasonable risk to him then he shouldn't take it but there's also no guarantee 4.3 won't do the same thing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If Nintendo starts to eat enough repair/replacement costs, you can be damn sure that they'll cease attempting to rewrite the boot2.

Maybe. ;p

Clipper

It's only a bug in their update procedure. It is easily fixed. They will almost certainly have a new update that does not brick Wiis in the near future.

ZombieSupaStar said:
figured this would happen eventually, glad I didnt mod mine.
The potential of bricking remains whether you modded or not. And if you have modded, all you need to do is install the latest updates for HBC and BootMii and you can then update without losing access to the homebrew (although you do risk bricking, so it shouldn't be done).

Ok, so, in idiot terms, I want to see if I've understood this right: there's a section of the Wii system, called boot2, which is the initial startup sequence, that isn't really meant to be overwritten: it's not 100% guaranteed that updating that will be successful. In Nintendo's effort to quash piracy and homebrew, they've tried to update the boot2 sector, and due to the uncertain nature of the boot2 sector and lack of proper testing, some Wiis cannot boot, and having homebrew/etc is not a cause of that.

Correct me on terminology and everything if I'm wrong.

Clipper

JonathanEx said:
Ok, so, in idiot terms, I want to see if I've understood this right: there's a section of the Wii system, called boot2, which is the initial startup sequence, that isn't really meant to be overwritten: it's not 100% guaranteed that updating that will be successful. In Nintendo's effort to quash piracy and homebrew, they've tried to update the boot2 sector, and due to the uncertain nature of the boot2 sector and lack of proper testing, some Wiis cannot boot, and having homebrew/etc is not a cause of that.

Correct me on terminology and everything if I'm wrong.
One small error. It is perfectly safe to update boot2, but you have to do it correctly. Nintendo screwed up and ignored something that affects a very small proportion of Wiis. They can easily fix this so that the update doesn't brick any Wiis.

Top Bottom