• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafcast Episode 009 10-24-06 - Cords and Sony gamers day

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
beelzebozo said:
more gaf heroes:

mr. misleading thread title
i'd pay the price of admission to hear that one :lol

other ones i'd like to hear:

mr. thread derailer (aka tribute to doom_bringer)
mr. spoiler tags something that isn't a spoiler
mr. "fixed"
that hasn't been done yet has it?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I like the new intro jingle, guys. Is there an extended version of that?

Edit: Hyoushi just informed me it's based on a Devo song. Thanks!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Kabouter said:
Question: Who's the bigger F up, Nintendo or Sony?
I'm going for Nintendo here.
While Sony may have a lot of problems, they are for a large part due to manufacturing difficulties caused by supply issues, which is something they don't have complete influence over. Nintendo on the other hand has a console that is very cheap to produce and is clearly geared towards the non-gamer with minigame collections and non-games as some of the most prolific genres on the console. Yet what they are doing is selling the thing at a price that, while netting them a significant profit, puts them well outside the impulse buy and mainstream price range.

With such a cheap console it would have been quite advantageous to capitalize on having it at mainstream pricing right from the get go. This, combined with a unit that would be easy to produce in significant numbers, could have given them a massive install base early on. And as we all know, if you get that, there's a domino effect which would give them more 3rd party support, which in turn makes more people interested in the console, and thus makes for more consoles sold.

It's really a missed opportunity if you ask me.

The thing about Nintendo's approach with the Wii is that they wanted the game costs and assets to remain consistent with current generation by keeping the specs low, and to do that they would have to provide a dramatic difference elsewhere, which they did. At the same time if you launch your system at too low a price no matter what technology comes inside it, that ends up sending the wrong message. I strongly believe that launching the Wii for $199 would have been a long-term mistake, that price is too low to launch with, even for Wii. They didn't need to have it any lower than $249 at launch, this "impulse buy" territory that you say will come when it makes a difference, now it is important that they send the right message.

The only short-term missed opportunity I see with the Wii is that it doesn't have a second controller and nunchuck out of the box to help spread the experience in multiplayer. Other than that the domino effect that you described will probably still be there when you take in consideration the Wii's installed base will grow faster than both the PS3's and X360's from their respective launches due to both manufacturing issues aswell as price. I don't think the Wii lineup will derail sales for now, Wii is a different device that is driving interest from all sorts of people, Zelda alone will be responsible for pulling in millions of the hardcore players at launch, in Europe and Japan you don't even have to worry about it.

Razoric

Banned
In terms of biggest ****up, I'm going to have to go with Sony so far. And this is coming from someone who wants a PS3 far, far more than a Wii.

The price, the limited supply, the confusing online setup, the waggle controller, the ho-hum launch games, and their pushing of HD movies all leave me with nothing but apathy for the system launch this fall. Also, no Motorstorm this year??? I may not even bother until that comes out.

While the Wii doesnt really appeal that much to me, Nintendo is doing what they need to do. Can't say I've seen many f*ckups coming from their camp other than maybe their lack of online play support (again).

Top Bottom