• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

jkooXL

Also, anyone with Promo codes playing today *PLEASE* make sure you are updated to the shipping version of the game!

All you need to do is make sure your game is updated, just highlight the title on the main PSN menu, then hit the option button, and select “Check for update”. If there is no update you have the most recent version! Thank you!!

PRESS FOLKS

Quick update, if you pulled down the promo build the first few hours it was live last night (like 6-9 hours ago) it was somehow the weeks old, unoptimized version of the game. Please delete your game and re-download it for the actual shipping version. Thank you!!

The game is 2.4GB and the patch is 2.4GB as well, it effectively doubles the size of the game to 4.91 GB on my disk. Is that intended behaviour? Seems strange.

I managed to grab a code from someone on twitter and I can play right now :3
Sony's pre-order system is weird

baconcow

During the prototype phase of the game it was not yet rogue-lite/like whatever you like to call it. We had one level we had completely hand crafted which is what we first showed off, before we were actually in full production. We started playing with a room builder to speed things up when we found it was just as easy to randomly assemble the hand tuned rooms as not, and it quickly became the defacto way to play.

I watched much of your Unite 2014 presentation. Very interesting. The game appears to have matched the impression I've had since I first saw it in 2013.

jkooXL

It is strange the patch is so big, but we did re-render all the videos with the latest assets and added a bunch of new dialogue, future patches should be much smaller.

Bennicus

Any more details on when the European release will be? I just tried searching the UK store on my ps4 but it doesn't even exist, not even a preorder page. That's pretty odd considering it's already out in NA, isn't it?

SerTapTap

Any more details on when the European release will be? I just tried searching the UK store on my ps4 but it doesn't even exist, not even a preorder page. That's pretty odd considering it's already out in NA, isn't it?

Not having a page before release is the standard unless the game has a preorder. Which indies usually don't. It's standard PSN weirdness. No idea when the EU gets it, though.

During the prototype phase of the game it was not yet rogue-lite/like whatever you like to call it. We had one level we had completely hand crafted which is what we first showed off, before we were actually in full production. We started playing with a room builder to speed things up when we found it was just as easy to randomly assemble the hand tuned rooms as not, and it quickly became the defacto way to play.

Awesome to hear. Thanks for all your team's hard work over there at 17-bit, can't wait to die over and over again in the most spectacular ways possible!

jkooXL

Its not actually out today in the US, it launches at midnight, so like 12 hours+ from now. We're still waiting to hear final confirmation from SCEE about the European version, *should* be *very* soon, I just don't want to promise anything until we have full confimation. Thanks for your patience!

tusken77

Excellent job, OP. You should also include the (awesome) videotape pause screen.

3oEdv66GwQfhAxd8Ji.gif

Drencrom

Its not actually out today in the US, it launches at midnight, so like 12 hours+ from now. We're still waiting to hear final confirmation from SCEE about the European version, *should* be *very* soon, I just don't want to promise anything until we have full confimation. Thanks for your patience!

Okay, thanks for the update.

Do you know if there'll be a PS+ sale like in the US?

Excellent job, OP. You should also include the (awesome) videotape pause screen.

3oEdv66GwQfhAxd8Ji.gif
Props to everyone that remembers recording in SLP, LP, and EP. Love that touch from the 17bit crew. Shit, I still have fond memories of watching recorded Robotech eps on my old Betamax.

Lombax

Banned
Bit off-topic:
I have never watched Macross. Is there a DVD / Blu-Ray that contains all the episodes of the original series?
Sorry to ask here but I did an amazon search and waaaaaaaaay too many options came up.
Thank you.

Back on topic:
Taking wednesday off this week to play Galak-Z (and possibly watch Macross episodes!).

ARK322

Neo Member
Are the persistent rewards sort of in line with Rogue Legacy? Or is it some different kind of progression system?

jkooXL

Are the persistent rewards sort of in line with Rogue Legacy? Or is it some different kind of progression system?

As you play through the game you find treasure chests full of all sorts of loot that you can immediately equip, but you'll also find Blueprints, which when collected unlock new items that will start spawning in shops. Those unlocks are not lost at death. Tons of weapon modules, passive abilities, powerups etc!

Quick impressions after three levels/episodes

Postitive: The controls and the combat instantly clicked and it feels great

Neutral: This is a Rogue-LITE. As LITE as it can get, unless there are major changes. If it wasn't mentioned anywhere I would have not considered it to be in the genre at all. Don't go in expecting Binding of Isaac.

Negative: Lots of talking that is hard to follow while playing (including tutorials I missed) that isn't interesting at all so far.

SerTapTap

The pause screen menu is the best. It does that blue screen TV settings menu thing when you go into the settings, just like many a cheapo CRT from back then, great stuff.

The Kotaku thing details it, basically you get upgrades as you play through episodes, and if you die you can use Crash Tokens to respawn once or do some other stuff. I haven't died yet so I'm not entirely sure how it all works, but it doesn't seem like Rogue Legacy where you're basically gated by grinding via death. It's totally possible to play through the levels without dying first time like a normal game. It's not super easy BTW, I just haven't gotten super far and I tend to play it safe.

You could probably play through several episodes or even seasons without knowing it's "rougelite" as long as you never die.

Has anyone found any impression/preview video coverage? Do you have any, Sir TapTap?

It's only impressions/preview stuff today, probably not going to see much video coverage. I'll try and have a video, but it'd be after the review embargo (tomorrow morning). I can probably say that the launch trailer looks fairly accurate

baconcow

From the PSGamer video, "When you die or finish a season, all weapons, ship upgrades, and salvage are lost.

Blueprints and other career unlocks are permanent and never lost."

Neutral: This is a Rogue-LITE. As LITE as it can get, unless there are major changes. If it wasn't mentioned anywhere I would have not considered it to be in the genre at all. Don't go in expecting Binding of Isaac.

Interesting. Apart from the seasons and episodes and no keeping ship contents between acts, it seems (from videos) that it shares a lot in common with BoI. Blueprints as items, sakvage as money, permadeath, bosses at the 2nd act/floor ends, play until beaten.

What do you feel is missing or inaccurate? I was hoping for Rogue Legacy with a mech/ship and awesome gameplay.

Top Bottom