• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

mrgone

Is it normal to have crash coin "dry spells"? I had 10 of them a couple of days ago at the end of season 2, but now I can't seem to get any at all. Tonight I went through the entirety of season 2 without a single drop, then halfway through season 3 without a single drop, then back through the first two episodes of season 2, still without seeing a crash coin. I'm killing everything I come across, too, finding all the chests, farming scrap, etc. It's starting to feel like a bug after consistently getting at least one per episode.

I'm thinking of buying this today on PS4 but before I do can anyone confirm or deny that the PS4 will be getting the additional pc content?

I'm guessing it'll be in the next patch, but the man himself has confirmed that the PS4 version's getting everything.

Enjoying this game but there doesn't seem to be a lot to it environment wise. Just seems to be the same two structures and open space.

Also now that the PC version is out I have been wondering why they made the controller layout the way they did. Using the WASD + mouse controls is so much better. You completely separate thrusting control while your other hand controls orientation. Why did they not use the right stick for orientation on the gamepad / console layout, and the left stick for thrusting (forward/back and strafing)? I get that the game has a specific style of controls, but the default gamepad layout just seems badly thought out FOR those controls.

Instead of using a bumper to turn on strafe at whatever direction you are currently flying, the left stick should have been fotward/back and strafing thrusters (relative to your ship of course, so you retain the tank controls of the game), and the right stick for orientation/aiming. Then the bumper should have been used to engage the 'pan the camera' around function of the right stick. That way a stick isn't wasted for the pan the camera function.

Sorry for the rambling it just completely baffles me why the controls were made that way.

Jintor

i'm really enjoying this on PC, but there's a few things that annoy me:

a) boosters and normal thrust being on different buttons on the gamepad. It would've been nice if I could feather the trigger for normal thrust and pull back the throttle for boost. As it is my hands cramp up after 3-4 sectors.

b) ship doesn't move nearly fast enough without upgrades and you spend a lot of time just beetling around in space

c) not enough environments, just started s4, is it just gonna be asteroids and space hulks?

d) story is so middle of the road it's actively bringing me down. character animation is god-hideous (okay, it's not that bad, but it's... blargh), the writing isn't genuine enough to be enthralling or snarky enough to be funny, timing is off on a lot of scenes/lines, and also nothing really seems to be happening. Also, every character is either bland or irritating (although there's only three characters). It's kinda a dumb thing to complain about considering what this game is but it's still irritating.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd like if on KBAM you could bind brake to its' own key. It's awkward as heck holding W and S to do it. Scheme works great besides that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gave this a shot and am so disappointed it was made with Unity. As with so many Unity games, well, it looks terrible in motion. The screen judders along horribly despite the game operating at 60fps. The cursor and ship move properly but the backgrounds do not scroll smoothly. The same issue exists in PS4 footage of the game (though that also seems to have actual slowdown - just like most Unity games on consoles).

I ran into this same issue with Roundabout - the scrolling of the screen just looks terrible.

I just don't understand why so many Unity games struggle with basic fluidity. It's not even performance related in these situations. It really cuts into my ability to enjoy the game as it just doesn't look nice in motion.

Where is Season 5 and the arcade mode for PS4? Is 17bit even working on the game anymore?

Nothing new so far. Judging by twitter the devs seem to mostly be visiting events and showing the game to new crowds. Sucks that early supporters need to wait so long.

I am going to guess we are never getting the new modes and season 5 on ps4...

Nothing new so far. Judging by twitter the devs seem to mostly be visiting events and showing the game to new crowds. Sucks that early supporters need to wait so long.

I am going to guess we are never getting the new modes and season 5 on ps4...
I can't imagine they'd drop it on PS4. When it comes out, we'll get it.

Drencrom

This game is like an early-access game in disguise lol

It doesn't even have a conclusion more than a half year after its release. Makes me wonder if they're revamping the whole game or just threw in the towel.

Just put an hour into it and I'm really liking this so far. Its got charm to spare in its presentation and I love the control scheme. Pretty dang good stuff so far.

Was playing this the other day after not playing it in months. I was only an hour in, but for some reason I went to start playing again and I'm all the way back at the beginning. How does the save system work?

smisk

Got this for $10 on Steam the other week and played about an hour. The artstyle and music are great and I'm having fun so far but I was disappointed to learn that Season 5 still isn't released. If a game is missing that much content it should be marked as early access.
Glad I didn't pay full price. That being said it's still a beautiful game, I hope it does well enough for further support.

jblank83

Got this for $10 on Steam the other week and played about an hour. The artstyle and music are great and I'm having fun so far but I was disappointed to learn that Season 5 still isn't released. If a game is missing that much content it should be marked as early access.
Glad I didn't pay full price. That being said it's still a beautiful game, I hope it does well enough for further support.

Same. Bought it during the winter sale for $12. Just recently finished the first 4 seasons.

I love the art style and game mechanics, but the content is really lacking. The mission layouts, regardless of whether you're inside an asteroid or a ship, are all the same and content is recycled over and over. They could have done so much more with it, from different types of missions and layouts to different kinds of enemies to more "metagame" (overworld map, resource mechanics, strategy mechanics, etc). Think Galak-Z mechanics + FTL variety and progression.

I like what's there, and I'd easily recommend it to shooter fans, but it feels like a $10 purchase.

Same. Bought it during the winter sale for $12. Just recently finished the first 4 seasons.

I love the art style and game mechanics, but the content is really lacking. The mission layouts, regardless of whether you're inside an asteroid or a ship, are all the same and content is recycled over and over. They could have done so much more with it, from different types of missions and layouts to different kinds of enemies to more "metagame" (overworld map, resource mechanics, strategy mechanics, etc). Think Galak-Z mechanics + FTL variety and progression.

I like what's there, and I'd easily recommend it to shooter fans, but it feels like a $10 purchase.

I bought it for 16 euros on PSN so I'm not that upset, but I do find it kinda strange that they don't give you much warning about one whole season missing from the game.

I have tried to contact the devs on twitter a couple of times but no replies so far. I wonder if they are reading this thread...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Update from the developer on the Steam forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/300580/discussions/0/496879865900145824/#c412448792345994715

Our sincere apologies for taking so long everyone, we've learned the hard way to never, ever again promise free additional content, this has been a huge blow to us. Over the course of the creation of the DLC we lost our main engineer who was going to basically single-handedly engineer the entire thing, we moved our remaining lead engineer and studio director to join the (now) main studio in Kyoto, Japan, which was a massive distraction in terms of time and resources, and because the sales were well short of expectations, we've had to focus on other projects in order to keep the studio running. These are tough times for most indie developers, the ones that don't win the sales lottery have to scramble to stay alive, something we've gotten used to.

The good news is we've had lots of time to really listen to feedback, and really focus on an additional piece of game that really complements the main game, in new ways that I think our fans will super appreciate and will give the game really, really long legs to make up for the lack of updates in the few months following release. We had originally planned to release it much sooner but life had other plans for us. Its *desperately* close now, we're just waiting on final music and putting in the final voices, along with final tuning. We hope to be able to launch the trailer and announce full details very soon, and the content will be available, for free, to everyone, shortly thereafter.

We think its been worth the wait but we really wish we had been able to deliver sooner, and you have our sincerest apologies for the delay. That being said, we think fans will be able to enjoy the game for a long, long time, and we are exceedingly happy and excited about that! Thank you!

I hope everything he's saying here still applies to the PS4 version as well.

SerTapTap

It's certainly gotten less buzz than I expected. Certainly had it's flaws (mostly performance at least at PS4 launch) but it's pretty damn sweet IMO. Haven't given the PC version a shake quite yet though.

Ashtar

I gave up on the game when the developers (seemed too) they said arcade mode would come to ps4 but never showed up. If they add arcade mode and work on the hitching I'll give it another go other wise meh

I gave up on the game when the developers (seemed too) they said arcade mode would come to ps4 but never showed up. If they add arcade mode and work on the hitching I'll give it another go other wise meh

Same here. Kinda disappointed to find out it's still not in..

Intel_89

I love the game but the performance on PS4 is quite terrible at times. Also, how do people have trophies for season 5 if it still hasn't been released?

Disheartening to hear this isn't selling well, despite its flaws and unfinished state, underneath it's got an incredibly enjoyable engine and replayability. I've poured about 350 hours into it since release.

My favorite shooter of all-time easily. 17 bit should be supported even though they've left this one hanging for a while. They're a great dev.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So...the game didn't sell well ? I am a bit surprised....It's such a great game.
Feels like it got a lot of talk in a small circle of gaming outlets, just like Skulls of the Shogun. It's sitting at only 15.5k owners on Steam(Spy).

anddo0

New update out on PS4, adds Arcade mode (checkpoint after every mission)

Thank you so much for this. I suck at this game, so this is a godsend.

Curufinwe

I would have bought it at launch if it had Arcade mode, but I'm glad it's finally here. I just don't have the time/skill/patience for rogue-likes. Rogue-lites I can handle.

I dunno if there's DLC but I'd be happy to pay something if I enjoy the game as much as I expect to.

People are seriously into some weird shit if Galak-Z fell short of sales expectations.

Ya, I don't know who this game was really appealing to?

For a schmuck it has an overly lengthy tutorial with a whole lot of dialogue. Once you get past that it's got some obtuse menu in your way instead of just letting you play the Dame thing.

There isn't anything wrong with either of those things but it's a really hard sell for people who just want to play a game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
People are seriously into some weird shit if Galak-Z fell short of sales expectations.

I was anticipating this game for quite a while and I completely understand why it flopped--the progression system is obtuse (and that's when it's working as intended, which isn't always the case), there are quite a few technical issues and the procedural generation aspect isn't very compelling or dense enough for it to be the focus of the entire game, and beyond that, they delayed and retooled this game so many times that all their hype had drained away by the time it was finally released.

GhaleonEB

Picked this up via PS+, and am trying to really give it a shot. The barriers so far are truly awful UI and between mission flow, and the controls. I'd be loving it were it a twin stick shooter, but as is I never really feel in control of the ship, at least not when there are multiple enemy groups in the same space. I just find myself careening about hoping not to blow up.

Going to keep at it for a bit, but if I give up, it'll be the decision to go with momentum/thruster based controls that do it.

Oh wow, that was an addition? I've died 10x and I'm on mission 5. 0_o

Picked this up via PS+, and am trying to really give it a shot. The barriers so far are truly awful UI and between mission flow, and the controls. I'd be loving it were it a twin stick shooter, but as is I never really feel in control of the ship, at least not when there are multiple enemy groups in the same space. I just find myself careening about hoping not to blow up.

Going to keep at it for a bit, but if I give up, it'll be the decision to go with momentum/thruster based controls that do it.
The controls are unorthodox more than anything, and that's not necessarily a bad quirk. The game feels remarkably tactile because of it, and it would've felt a lot less satisfying to play if the devs went for something more typical. I mean, it is what it is if it's not your cup of tea, but it's not the game's fault if you feel like you're flailing about.

anddo0

So I'm getting a bug where the game thinks that I'm playing on PC. The on-screen controls are replaced with letters (ASWD etc..) and the primary attack button is often unresponsive; to the point where i have to reset the game in order to attack. The framerate is also very jumpy. I wonder if it's because I'm using the beta firmware.

Keep playing until you get comfortable. The controls feel incredible IMO, much more satisfying to maneuver in than any twin stick shooter I've ever played. I've rarely felt so in control of and attuned to a character/ship as I did in Galak Z. That movement style combined with the thrust effects and missile trails also make it the perfect representation of the era of anime the game's paying homage to.

Top Bottom