• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game concepts, mechanics, you wish were explored more.

Better AI. Why has this barely changed in the past decade?

tumblr_lpmectLOqD1qbj6rco1_400.gif

What are you talking about AI is great.

Carcetti

Asymmetrical (possibly indirect) multiplayer in single player games.

One of my favorite examples is the Yellow Monk in Demon's Souls. It's a mindblowing encounter.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Asymmetrical (possibly indirect) multiplayer in single player games.

One of my favorite examples is the Yellow Monk in Demon's Souls. It's a mindblowing encounter.

Demon Souls (and obviously Dark Souls) multiplayer is something the industry needs more of. It gives you a sense of camaraderie, and and sometimes the complete opposite, that other games multiplayer components simply cannot match. I'd love to see more of this.

Jac_Solar

I'd like games to focus more on enviromental interaction and mechanics, like some of the mechanics in Just Cause 2 (Grappling hook + parachute combo and what it allowed.), as well as interaction and manipulation of rope in a gameworld.

But any focus on mechanics would be good. 3D games haven't changed a lot mechanically since the first 3D games.

the only instance I can think of is the mgs series when sneaking up on soldiers and holding them up and stealing their items

Same here. Everyone other type of surrender/fleeing I can think of is scripted. MGS put so much care into its game mechanics; MGS3, you could shoot their radios before they had a chance to call an alert, they'd slowly lower their hands if you didn't aim your gun at them, and if they got a few words out over their radio before being knocked out/killed, more guards would com eot check it out, but only on "Caution" status, I believe.

It should be in more games, even straight up action ones. I'd love to be able to rell enemies to drop their weapons or run, even if the game's a pure shooter.

I really like small things that goes beyond the game or affect the gamer himself

like:

Minigames in games(arcade machine)
Microwave in HL
Blue Screen Batman Arkham Asylum
Movies from Max Payne 1 and 2

Cyrano

Would love to see more highly contextualized overworlds like those of Traverse: Starlight & Prairie or Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Heck, even just a system that has some confounding contradictions in context would be nice (taking the city, helping the guys, getting the guys, letting the city burn, having the guys say nothing about how horrible you are - except in some cases they do).

Gustav

Banned
Investigation

Games that tried, but didn't live up to what I wish for:

L.A. Noire
Ace Attorney Series
Blade Runner
Golden Gate Killer
X - Files
Hotel Dusk

Chev

Better AI. Why has this barely changed in the past decade?
It has changed a whole lot. Thing is, even huge changes are usually imperceptible to the average player and it ensues what players laud as better AI usually simply is smoke and mirrors (More predictable, which is a desirable quality for a player, or better at faking AI, like soldiers that randomly talk about what they're doing). In the end the signal both factors send to publishers is it isn't worth making better AI. You can't put it on screenshots or trailers, you can't market it, most people playing won't even notice it, it's not a good investment.

Mega Man -- Acquiring the enemy's powers.

Devil May Cry did this too, right?

Yup, all DMC3,4 and DmC do this.

But only in DMC3 IIRC, can't remember about 4, the weapons are more effective against certain bosses/enemies and you can kill them slightly faster if you use the right weapon.

big youth

games like Majesty 1 and 2, where you have indirect control over your units.

I would have also liked to have seen another Elebits type game on Wii, but with motion+

Also, Bushido Blade-stlye "realistic damage" in blade-based combat. Really untapped; all the other games I can think of that have gone this route have sucked, except for Chivalry. Though I don't know how far they go with injuries limiting combat.

Amalthea

Banned
Panzer Dragoon Saga's battle-system and real-time dragon morphing.
I believe it's pretty unique, especially the morphing element. Such a shame.

FloatOn

fort building/survival. it's one of the only things that excites about Fortnite.

Bushido Blade style of fighting games.... to my knowledge Overgrowth and the Deadliest Warrior games on xbla are the closest thing to that. Chivalry duel mode and Dark Souls pvp was also kind of similar.

Shooting gallery style games like Point Blank or Police Trainer.

I would also love a arena based FPS revival sometime.

Pooya

I desperately need more games with sailing mechanic in them ala Wind Waker. There is something I really like about controlling a ship and finding uncharted territories. It doesn't have to be in sea; space, skies! :(

batbeg

I really wish another rpg took a crack at the way infinite undiscovery had the full party roaming in certain maps, it was really awesome to see the party members you weren't using battling through an alternate route.

Mobility in first person games. I thought that Mirror's Edge would maybe start some kind of revolution but so far most FPS really haven't explored it.

If the game had sold better I think we might of seen one. Who knows maybe when the sequel is released it'll sell better and start one.

I wish more title screens were interactive. Some games like Super Smash Bros and Killer7's title screens and other UI can be rotated with the thumbstick. I also like that you can move the camera around during cutscenes in Shadow of the Colossus. Or like playing with Mario's face in SM64.

Video games should be as interactive as possible.

Subtle

Pokemon-esque games where your partner/pet feels alive and feels like your actual friend and not just a mindless killing machine.

Momentum in platformers, both 2d and 3d...

Ahem, Sonic...

I also like motion swordplay seen in Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword. Especially for Zelda it works really well, but needs to be expanded and improved on.

DocSeuss

I'm a big fan of objective-based competitive team multiplayer. Examples would be Counterstrike, Enemy Territory, Left4Dead (in Versus), Unreal Tournament's Assault mode, etc. What I find fun about them, especially when done well, is that there's a sort of scenario design to the overall competitive match, instead of a mindless free for all kill-spam.

In the original Enemy Territory especially, I found it really interesting how much work was put into designing each of the maps. They have different objectives, different scenarios, and require different types of teamwork. It's pretty much like playing a single player mission with a lot of people, and with real players on the other side instead of AI. When playing with a good team who can communicate well, the experience is really amazing. It's honestly the highest form of role playing.

I wish more games explored this in their multiplayer modes, and more multiplayer games focused on actually designing each map with unique scenarios and objectives, rather than having maps built around a general purpose which can be used for DM/TDM/CTF/etc where it just becomes a scoring competition.

Oddly, the most fun I've ever had doing this was in that tacticalish Half-Life 2 mod. I can't remember the name. I think, however, people could be a lot more versatile, with Assault in UT games being the most broad, but not nearly broad enough.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't even like SRPGs and I loved Valkyria Chronicles because it gave me direct unit control and blended real-time shooting, turns, and dice rolls well. I wish more turn-based games did that.

FloatOn

Mobility in first person games. I thought that Mirror's Edge would maybe start some kind of revolution but so far most FPS really haven't explored it.

I feel like Brink tried this... in many ways that game was ahead of the curve. It's a shame that the community fell out.

The single player mode of Mount & Blade...

...But multiplayer, where each player starts off with their own useless soldier in a different country than the other players. It would have to take a lot of reworking, but my God it would be amazing if done right.

RTS games that have wall building and town making.

I'm a turtler =(

Also, Bushido Blade-stlye "realistic damage" in blade-based combat. Really untapped; all the other games I can think of that have gone this route have sucked, except for Chivalry. Though I don't know how far they go with injuries limiting combat.

more destructibility. large scale destructibility. with realistic physics.

The single player mode of Mount & Blade...

...But multiplayer, where each player starts off with their own useless soldier in a different country than the other players. It would have to take a lot of reworking, but my God it would be amazing if done right.
0utgB.gif
0utgB.gif
0utgB.gif

Yesssssss yesssssss yessssss yessssssss

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The GameSpeak system, as featured in Oddworld games. A real quick and easy way to give players a wider range of interaction with NPCs.

I'd love to have a rudimentary language system like this in a GTA, for example. To use either on missions, or with random pedestrians.

Loxley

Blizzard's phasing technology that they've been implementing into World of Warcraft over the last 3-4 years is amazing. The fact that you can permanently change the terrain of an environment by completing quests really gives a sense that your actions are having an effect on the world.

I wish more MMO's would implement something like it, it's a great tool.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Real-time plane shifting and parallel realities.

2RQPKXv.jpg

Soul Reaver (yeah I know, I'm mentioning it again) had this awesome concept that there were two parallel worlds - the living material realm and the dead spectral realm. The main character would shift from one to the other in real-time, the world distorting around him.

The material realm was all decayed architecture and faded browns and greys. The spectral realm was a distorted blue and green version of this, with pillars and walls contorting during the transition, cracks expanding to passageways, walls transforming to stairs, and outcrops turning into bridges. Rivers, lakes and all water bodies were locked into the material realm, turning a pond for example into a deep explorable spectral pit. Torrential subterranean rivers in material would become explorable caves in spectral.

In story terms, statues, murals and art from the material realm would always reveal an innate truth when viewed in the spectral realm. Murals of human warriors - who would later become vampires - showed fangs when viewed in spectral. Stained glass windows depicting a romantacised historical event in material - would creepily show the dark truth when viewed in spectral. Altars to divination, would show the demonic undercurrents beneath the religious veil.

Time also froze when entering spectral, allowing the hero to enter the realm in battle, and re-emerge in material behind his adversary.

The series neglected to explore this absolutely brilliant concept in the sequels, unfortunately. A shame as it was so expertly done, with the visible transition between the realities making the experience far more immediate than even Metroid Prime 2 and Link to the Past.

Quantum Conundrum is the game you're looking for.

Sentenza

This game. And pretty much all of it's aspects.

1103380-mount_and_blade_warband_box_art.jpg

No fantasy elements. Just straight up Medieval war. One can say Chivalry but I'm talking about the single player experience.
I'm still crossing my fingers and chanting all sort of prayers hoping for the sequel to improve over the original enough.
Please, M&BII: Bannerlords, don't be disappointing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hub worlds

I think it's a brilliant way to have a game be more open and the world feel connected than most linear games but without the immense time and detail that goes into a full-on open world game. Halo: ODST probably had one of the first implementations of a hub world I've seen outside of a platformer or RPG and it was wonderful. Stuff to explore and find as well as being able to see the main area shift as you finished missions was great. I want to see this in more games.

Dr.Hadji

Momentum in platformers, both 2d and 3d...

Ahem, Sonic...

I also like motion swordplay seen in Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword. Especially for Zelda it works really well, but needs to be expanded and improved on.

Yup. Though I'm guessing we won't see more motion controlled sword play for a long while now. Its going to go the way of Bushido Blade.

Retro

Blizzard's phasing technology that they've been implementing into World of Warcraft over the last 3-4 years is amazing. The fact that you can permanently change the terrain of an environment by completing quests really gives a sense that your actions are having an effect on the world.

I wish more MMO's would implement something like it, it's a great tool.

Guild Wars 2's dynamic event system does this without having to jerry-rig it in with instanced phases that some players are in and some aren't. Bridges are blown up and repaired, forward bases are established and lost, enemy camps are destroyed and retaken, and everyone in the world can see it and contribute to the changes taking place.

They've even had one-time events which, despite server issues due to overwhelming response, were quite cool to see. Landing on an enemy shore, fighting off giant crabs, clearing forests to create a road into the island and using the timber to construct a permanent bridge was a blast.. and knowing nobody will ever see that happen again is kind of weird. Just wish it hadn't been so laggy because of all the people.

A crime scene simulator that I hoped LA Noire would be.

Investigation

Games that tried, but didn't live up to what I wish for:

L.A. Noire
Ace Attorney Series
Blade Runner
Golden Gate Killer
X - Files
Hotel Dusk

Film noir settings.

Yeah I would like to see a proper Police procedural or Philip Marlow style private investigator style game.

Or maybe a proper Cyberpunk adventure/RPG (but please not a FPS/TPS) along the lines of Ghost in the Shell on the tail of the Laughing Man.

The beginning of that Watchdogs trailer had the right idea before it went all shoot shoot bang bang.

Another thing I want, within next gen/next few years.

An MMO like EVE but a European fantasy setting. No NPCs. Just players.

* Left 4 Dead's AI director and dynamic spawning, but applied to more interesting enemy AI than zombies. This is the main reason I'm hyped for Gears of War Judgment than any other game this year so far.

* Possessed Weaponry in Darksiders 2. For those who don't know, you can find possessed weaponry and sacrifice other magic items to it to level it up. When a possessed weapon levels up you can choose two different magical bonuses to apply to it, based upon the properties of the items you fed it. Its a brilliant and simple crafting/item sink system for a loot game.

* Voice control for console RTS. EndWar showed that this could work, and work well, even if that game was mostly a tech demo. The key is not to even attempt to recreate the PC RTS experience, but re-imagine it entirely to where you aren't fighting the controls. I actually prefer voice commands over frenetic mouse clicks.

* Syndicate's hacking. It works just like Gears of War's active reload, but you can use it during combat to defuse grenades and missiles in mid-air, shift aspects of the environment, take control of turrets, enemies, etc. Really adds a nice dynamic to combat.

* Need for Speed Shift's track mastery. You're scored on each turn of a track, and when you ace all the turns you've mastered the track. This was a great mini-objective to try to conquer when practicing and provided some nice feedback and investment. Do this not only for tracks but cars as well (reach top speed for 30 seconds, drift x yards, jump x yards, win X races as stock, win X races at every class level, etc.).

Top Bottom