• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer - February 2010

kenta

Has no PEINS
Review scores:

Bayonetta - 9 (SO 9) (Game of the Month)
Darksiders - 8.5 (SO 7.75)
Army of Twotwo - 6.5 (SO 6.25)
Dark Void - 7
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - 8
Bookworm DS - 7.75
Rogue Warrior - 1.5
Gyromancer - 7.75
Jurassic: The Hunted - 6

Going out to dinner with the family, might possibly fill requests for content summaries later, maybe

JdFoX187

Banned
Surprised at the low score for Army of Two. From what I've played, it seems to be a solid game. Glad to see Darksiders getting some love and Dark Void looks like it might not be as bad as people predicted.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Saren is Bad said:
Umm how about the cover story?
It's Halo Reach

I am not a Halo guy so I don't know what to tell you about it. There are character profiles for people named Carter, Jorge, Kat, Emile and Jun. Don't know what that means. Also has a section on New Tech or something but seriously I'm walking out the door and might be able to summarize later or something

botticus

Huh, no review scores for the 4 games I'm looking at this month. I wonder why I didn't find that magazine worth getting Edge for.

kenta said:
It's Halo Reach

I am not a Halo guy so I don't know what to tell you about it. There are character profiles for people named Carter, Jorge, Kat, Emile and Jun. Don't know what that means. Also has a section on New Tech or something but seriously I'm walking out the door and might be able to summarize later or something

Thanks, sorry I sounded insensitive I really did read your last statements haha.

I don't typically like to be one of "those guys" but giving Darksiders a 7.75 is fucking stupid. Yes, it borrows concepts from other great games, but it impliments them amazingly well. The Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears sequels all borrowed a ton of gameplay concepts from their predecessors, Mass Effect borrowed the "cover system" from Gears, etc. But somehow it's okay for games to be derivative if the game is in a series that came up with the concepts? Or perhaps it is ok to copy ideas in the FPS genre but it is not allowed in others?

I don't see what being a part of a series that originated a concept has anything to do with the quality of a game. It's not like it makes seeing the exact same ideas more "fun" or enjoyable because of the name on the box is the same name that used those concepts before. I'm not sure why series get a pass on reusing concepts where, when another game borrows them, it somehow is sacrilege.

I wish more company followed Darksiders approach, taking lots of cool ideas from else where and blending them together in a polished experience to make a great game. It's not like it doesn't impliment these ideas well, and it even uses many of them for some very cool new puzzles and combat additions.

Ideas are cheap and everybody borrows from everybody . It's the implementation that counts. Darksiders is an amazingly fun game. It doesn't deserve to be crapped on just because of some reviewers schizophrenic, poorly thought out concepts of the corporate ownership of ideas. Their belief that this imaginary corporate ownership of ideas is somehow more important than a fun, well designed game is patently absurd.

Army of Two score seems like incredible BS based on what I've played so far. Especially when the original game scored higher, and so little has happened in th land of co-op shooters since. Then again, this is the mag that failed to see any real flaws in AC, yet dedicated the AC II review intro to the many shortcomings of its predecessor. Rotten rag from hell.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Army of Two score seems like incredible BS based on what I've played so far. Especially when the original game scored higher, and so little has happened in th land of co-op shooters since. Then again, this is the mag that failed to see any real flaws in AC, yet dedicated the AC II review intro to the many shortcomings of its predecessor. Rotten rag from hell.
AOT is one of the worst games this generation and all reports and the demo show that essentially nothing changed, so 6.5 sounds really high to me.

Salazar

EternalGamer said:
It's not that it is a "bad" score. It's an "ok" score Darksiders is a far fuck better than "ok."

It is one reviewer's opinion, and is the 'second opinion' in the magazine. I could get behind some angst if they'd given it a 5 or so, but they clearly appreciate the game.

McLovin

Dark Void is pretty consistent with what I got from the demo. Sucks for Army of Two.. I was kind of rooting for them :/

Salazar said:
It is one reviewer's opinion, and is the 'second opinion' in the magazine. I could get behind some angst if they'd given it a 5 or so, but they clearly appreciate the game.

I'm not really "angry." But it is the reasoning behind the score that I think is stupid, as I explained above. It's the type of thinking that gives big name franchises an unfair advantage and does a disservice to anything not a FPS.

feel

Saren is Bad said:
Yeah sorry I sounded harsh, I meant some points about that.
If you want to know all about that, step into the Halo Reach thread, we (well, they, all I do is read and spam gifs) have discussed every little detail about all the new info in the magazine.

Salazar

EternalGamer said:
I'm not really "angry." But it is the reasoning behind the score that I think is stupid, as I explained above. It's the type of thinking that gives big name franchises an unfair advantage and does a disservice to anything not a FPS.

I'd have to read the review to know the reasoning and type of thinking behind it. But that's just me.

benjipwns

Banned
botticus said:
Huh, no review scores for the 4 games I'm looking at this month. I wonder why I didn't find that magazine worth getting Edge for.
It should be noted that GI now puts five or six one paragraph or shorter reviews on the page after the regular reviews that has the reviews archive.

Torchlight, for example, got stuck back there despite the 8.75.

Novella

Banned
I don't think 8.5 means "merely OK," even in Game Informer.

Edit: Oh, you're raging about the 7.75. Umm... <shrug> I didn't read your entire post, but did you read the review?

pubba

EternalGamer said:
I don't typically like to be one of "those guys" but giving Darksiders a 7.75 is fucking stupid.

I wish more company followed Darksiders approach, taking lots of cool ideas from else where and blending them together in a polished experience to make a great game.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm loving Darkstalkers and it looks like being the first game that I complete in a long, long time. Hopefully the sales will ensure a sequel, perhaps same time next year.

Monocle

Hurray for Bayonetta! It's been keeping me so busy that I almost forgot about Reach. Hope that beta starts soon.

pubba said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm loving Darkstalkers and it looks like being the first game that I complete in a long, long time. Hopefully the sales will ensure a sequel, perhaps same time next year.

Love it so much you remember its name.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Saren is Bad said:
Umm how about the cover story?
Apparently it's all being covered in the official thread, so go there! Kinda glad I don't have to read all of this and try to make sense of what's new

Volcynika said:
I'll request Tatsunoko vs Capcom review comments when you get a chance.
- Simplified controls into three buttons
- Supports classic controller, GameCube controller and Wii arcade stick
- Not really a focus on parries or reversals, aerial combat happens sometimes
- Familiar half- and quarter-circle inputs
- Most Americans won't recognize Tatsunoko people but that shouldn't turn you away
- Hardcore fighting fans will likely find it too forgiving and easy but it's fun for casual fans

jufonuk said:
Cool, anything about the Tatsunoko V Capcom Online Play aspect would be awesome to hear about :D
They don't mention anything about online play in the review

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Rogue Warrior details please...motherfucker pull a full fucking faulkner. :lol
- Dick jokes come across limp
- Bad gunplay, story written by a six-year-old
- Like stepping into a gay Rambo's shoes

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
If you want to know all about that, step into the Halo Reach thread, we (well, they, all I do is read and spam gifs) have discussed every little detail about all the new info in the magazine.

The first page of the thread contains a summary of all of the Halo Reach information from GI this month. =)

kenta

Has no PEINS
gbovo said:
- There won't be a new Half-Life game in 2010. The next game might not even be Episode 3 but rather straight-up Half-Life 3, and if that's the case it's anybody's guess as to when it will be released

- NHL2K series is probably toast since 2K didn't include it on their fiscal report. They source pastapadre.com for this rumor

- Sony sent out a survey asking about possible premium features

Top Bottom