• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really enjoyed your commentary, itxaka.

I fucking hate fiddling with loot.

I don't mind it, but it was 99% junk in ME1 and nearly non-existent in ME2. If they really are learning from their mistakes from both games, they should know what to do with that.

gdt

ProtoCents said:
rml3z9.jpg

Yeah, that's right.

Come at me bro.

gdt

Snuggler said:
I don't mind it, it was just 99% junk in ME1 and nearly non-existent in ME2. If they really are learning from their mistakes from both games, they should know what to do with that.

I always hate it. I have no idea how some gamers go nuts over incremental increases in stats, which you dump for the next incremental increase in stats. Times 7 for all party members. Or you epuip main guy with the strongest armor, then give that to your #2 when you get stronger armor, and give #2's to #3, and etc etc etc.

Not having to fiddle with my companions armor and fucking bullets and scope length and goddamn weapon grip is a godsend.

Am I late to this?

So there's this scan that floating around the internet from the magazine.

Don't want to say with 100% confidence it's real, but it seems slightly convincing and it's about returning squad mates!

From what I see, the following are semi-confirmed:

Liara, Garrus (if he survived ME2), Ashley OR Kaidan, and someone named "James Sanders"...

Maybe squad mates/at least temporary squad mates: Mordin, Wrex, Legion, and Anderson.

Edit: Took too long making this post. Got beat!

Dance In My Blood said:
Dang, they sure slutted Ashley up.

Have you ever seen what a slut looks like?! Ashely looks like she is going to meet her grandmother for tea rather than work the corner.

gdt5016 said:
I always hate it. I have no idea how some gamers go nuts over incremental increases in stats, which you dump for the next incremental increase in stats. Times 7 for all party members. Or you epuip main guy with the strongest armor, then give that to your #2 when you get stronger armor, and give #2's to #3, and etc etc etc.
Because good loot isn't "incremental increase in stats." Somehow despite coming from a long line of RPG development, BioWare forgot that in ME1.

gdt

EmCeeGramr said:
Because good loot isn't "incremental increase in stats." Somehow despite coming from a long line of RPG development, BioWare forgot that in ME1.

Okay, then big increases. But for that, you have to raise the general levels of the game (level cap, enemy balance in relation to your loot, etc etc)....it amounts to the same thing.

Wiggum2007

Only other thing I realized I left out is that they watched a video of a segment involve a krogan vehicle train with Shepard riding along, and as it goes a Reaper comes down from the sky to attack. Shepard's vehicle is destoryed, and fighting the thing is impossible on foot. Then a Thresher Maw comes out of the ground and attacks the Reaper. The Thresher gets the upper hand by coiling itself around the Reaper, then drags it underground. It gets quiet, and seems to be over, then laser fire begins erupting from the ground, and Shepard decides this is a good place not to be. It then trails off into a description of how everything is so much bigger than the previous games.

It took an entire fleet to take down a Reaper at the Citadel, but now a single Thresher Maw puts up a fair fight with one?

But hey who care right because it's badass.

Dany

Banned
Hmm, everything sounds like a step in the right direction. More skill tree stuff along with Ammo Powers sounds great, really missed that in ME2. Very curious on the state of your previous sqaud, from ME2....maybe Cerberus put a leash on them

gdt5016 said:
Okay, then big increases. But for that, you have to raise the general levels of the game (level cap, enemy balance in relation to your loot, etc etc)....it amounts to the same thing.
No, you're not getting what I'm saying. Good loot systems in games aren't just about "increases in stats" at all. That's part of it, finding a good item, but they also encourage you to play differently by giving you loot that's built around different builds and playstyles and having different effects.

gdt

Wiggum2007 said:
It took an entire fleet to take down a Reaper at the Citadel, but now a single Thresher Maw puts up a fair fight with one?

Maybe, and I'm only speculating here, some Reapers are much more powerful/older than others?

gdt

EmCeeGramr said:
No, you're not getting what I'm saying. Good loot systems in game's aren't just about "increases in stats" at all. That's part of it, finding a good item, but they also encourage you to play differently by being built around different builds and playstyles and having different effects.

I'd rather it be different abilities/classes/etc than a Sneak + 10 suit.

Mindlog

EmCeeGramr said:
So... what if we DIDN'T buy a piece of poorly-received DLC? :\
Just wait until you find out what happens if you didn't collect all of the Asari Matriarch's writings.

I heard about the ME3 weapon system early and I really like the direction they're going with it. ME2
with the DLC :\
has just about the perfect number of weapons. Also, my Vanguard has glitched occasionally with some convenient half charges. I hope the expanded skill trees lets vanguard's specialize in battlefield movement so we can charge into cover as was originally planned.

Bioware has a habit of releasing mini-games ahead of the release date. I'm really crossing my fingers for a downloadable Kinect/Webcam dance game. We can import our dances into the ME3 victory rave.

My Sheppard would be riding that thresher maw.

Wiggum2007 said:

It doesn't seem like Bioware cares much about continuity in this "trilogy", despite the revolutionary save import feature.

kai3345

Banned
Good loot has both pros and cons for each item. Making the player consider the pros and cons of each piece of loot he has equipped, which, if done right, can make for different styles of play based on what loot you currently have equipped.

Y2Kev said:
Why the fuck is he so brooding now? Dude's gotten more and more annoying looking in each of the games. I'm so tired of seeing brooding bastards. Nobody ever actually broods like this. Not even the zerg.
gabriel.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wiggum2007 said:

Laser beams erupting from the ground = reaper destroyed the thresher maw.

But yeah bioware is so fucking clueless!1!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mindlog said:
Just wait until you find out what happens if you didn't collect all of the Asari Matriarch's writings.

Oh man, I felt like such an asshole when I collected all of those types of items in ME1 only to find it did absolutely nothing.

Better space exploration and resource gathering please. Barren planets and probing just don't cut it anymore.

Pollux

ColonelColon said:
It doesn't seem like Bioware cares much about continuity in this "trilogy", despite the revolutionary save import feature.

Save imports don't affect the strength of a Reaper and that doesn't affect the continuity. They realized that with ME1 they were TOO strong, now they're too weak.

itxaka

Defeatist
Snuggler said:
I really enjoyed your commentary, itxaka.

Sorry. I know it's a shitty post but I actually got excited reading that and needed to share it with my friends at Gaf. Will never do it again, I promise :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Papercuts said:
Laser beams erupting from the ground = reaper destroyed the thresher maw.

But yeah bioware is so fucking clueless!1!

Shouldnt Thresher Maws look tiny next to Reapers?

kai3345

Banned
And please no new squad mates. At the very least promote some side characters (like Aria or the chick from the books) to squadmate status, but dont make us learn the backstories of 12 new characters.

HK-47 said:
Shouldnt Thresher Maws look tiny next to Reapers?
In that Arrival death video, you see glimpses of Reapers walking around that look a third of the size of a normal one. They're like, Normandy SR2-sized.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kai3345 said:
And please no new squad mates. At the very least promote some side characters (like Aria or the chick from the books) to squadmate status, but dont make us learn the backstories of 12 new characters.

Aria as a squadmate? WTF

HwPUa.jpg

I knew we should have locked the back door!
Alt: Problem?

After re-examining the cover, I couldn't help it. I always hate how these kinds of covers are built like a scene, yet the scenes never make any sense.

Do we know if the Reapers come in different sizes? I would assume they are, but maybe there's like a giant final boss reaper for the end of 3. Or maybe they just join together to form a power rangers zord thing.

Also, those list of changes sound great. Almost too good to be true... I'll still let hype take hold, though.

so if i haven't been keeping up with the dlc I might be out of the loop on somethings? -takes note for when he plays through ME1 and possibly ME2 this summer-

oh and what did you say? the game opens up with earth you say?People whining about earth was basically whining about the opening of the game you say? Similar to the "Shepard is dead" stuff you say? who'd a thunk!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DoomXploder7 said:
so if i haven't been keeping up with the dlc I might be out of the loop on somethings? -takes note for when he plays through ME1 and possibly ME2 this summer-

yes

Sounding good, now that I know it will have a previously on Mass Effect comic I can move the series over the PS3 and not have to deal with limited HDD space for DLCs and most likely multiple discs as well.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

Play as Alliance Soldier > Force people to be a Cerberus operative, no-matter what > Force people to become enemies of Cerberus, no-matter what.

Being able to play the game siding with Cerberus or the Alliance based on your choices in ME2 might have made for an interesting experience, so BWare had to cut it, presumably. After all, we wouldn't want to let decisions in the past game get in the way of them telling the story they want to tell, would we.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

Bwahahaha, who was it that was saying multi for ME3 was like 100% confirmed and only a fool would deny it?

I was actually hoping for a short coop campaign or something, but I don't care that much either way.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

1orjwo.png

Dany

Banned
How many discs is this going to be on the 360? ME2 was split into two discs but A LOT of cross over locations.dialogues.situations had to be on both discs. Hopefully their can be an optional install for hte second disc and play everything off the first. Or something a kin to Forza...

My only concern is that the storage space on the 360 might hinder the content in the game.

Dany M said:
How many discs is this going to be on the 360? ME2 was split into two discs but A LOT of cross over locations.dialogues.situations had to be on both discs. Hopefully their can be an optional install for hte second disc and play everything off the first. Or something a kin to Forza...

My only concern is that the storage space on the 360 might hinder the content in the game.

The total game content is unlikely to be drastically larger than that of ME2, which only filled so much space on 360 because of, as you say, redundant content.

Jarmel

Banned
Sweet Jesus, Ashley looks nothing like her ME1 and ME2 ingame models from that pic. I'll be damned though if that isn't one hell of an upgrade. Good god, that might be the best looking female in the entire series.

Riposte

It is funny how I find Mass Effect is retroactively becoming less and less likable. I guess that's the end result of having a series based around transferring saves and not living up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom