• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's next cover is Assassin's Creed: Origins [Up: All details inside]

UrbanRats

I think the UP and DOWN parkour buttons were a good bend aid idea, for a system that, however, needed a much deeper restructure.
I hope they figured something out in that sense.
Similarly to how they seem to have started from scratch with the combat, instead of trying to polish a turd, so to speak.

Berto

Looking at the pyramids... Shouldn't they be covered entirely in limestone?

edit: maybe they are and they just don't look it from these pictures, I guess.
Might be wrong, but I think they were already damaged by this period, the pyramids were already thousands of years old. The Ptolomaic period is not really old classic Egipt, it was a greek influenced one, they were almost as far from old Egipt like we are from the Ptolomaic era.

gafneo

Banned
This stuff isn't leaked. If it was, they would have done something by now. Ubisoft is childishly pretending we are getting top secrert dibs on unknown projects.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This stuff isn't leaked. If it was, they would have done something by now. Ubisoft is childishly pretending we are getting top secrert dibs on unknown projects.
It's leaked in the sense that they'd rather keep these things a secret and that they're very much keeping things secret until Monday. And since it's the internet they really can't do anything and are like breathing sighs of relief that no one's been able to leak videos or even clear screenshots. Any dev will tell you that the vast VAST majority of leaks are never some marketing ploy but rather, legitimately unsanctioned leaks of sensitive material that interrupt and can compromise a long running and very specific marketing schedule right up until release.

Nothing about the removal of towers though?

Glad as hell this is still very SP focused, which could easily have not been the case anymore after what we heard about Ubi earlier this year, bigger focus on MP wasn't it?

Pachimari

The scans mentioned many lush green locations, the fun thing about deserts is they have very diverse environments.
Hills, swamps, cliffs, Alexandria, Memphis etc.

Yeah I know that about deserts lol. I would just like one huge empty desert one could ride around in and have some smaller things to do with.

It should be Assassins Creed Origins: Egypt, Assassins Creed Origins: Rome, Assassins Creed Origins: Greece, etc. Set a series precedent. Lets people know that this is far past. Use it until you get back to post AC1, if you ever do, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

jett

D-Member
Might be wrong, but I think they were already damaged by this period, the pyramids were already thousands of years old. The Ptolomaic period is not really old classic Egipt, it was a greek influenced one, they were almost as far from old Egipt like we are from the Ptolomaic era.

I'm not sure about that.

https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/casing-stones.html

The fact, that even in the 12th century most of the outer surface stones still existed (observed by Abd al-Latif) shows, how lasting and admirable the Egyptian architectures built. The beautiful outer stones were very popular and were removed from the pyramids bit by bit and used as building material for mosques and houses in Cairo. But even in 1639 the Oxford astronomy professor John Greaves wrote, that the whole face of Khafre's pyramid except the southern side was still entirely intact, but at that time the stones of the pyramid of Khufu had already been removed.

Maybe Ubisoft is just being purposefully anachronistic since people aren't really familiar with the fact that pyramids were originally blindingly white.

Harlequin

I'm not sure about that.

https://www.cheops-pyramide.ch/khufu-pyramid/casing-stones.html

Maybe Ubisoft is just being purposefully anachronistic since people aren't really familiar with the fact that pyramids were originally blindingly white.

In the box art and in the scans most of the outer shell is still there. If it weren't, the pyramid's sides wouldn't be as smooth/straight as they are, they would be jagged like they are today. The limestone simply doesn't look quite as new and shiny because it's already been there for a couple thousand years (and you can see a couple of holes here and there).

Permanently A

Waiting to see on this. They always promise a lot but often fall short of expectations. We've had such incredible open world games this past year, it will be interesting to see what Ubisoft has done to try to match that bar.

Crossing Eden

So who else is gonna wait til night time for most infiltrations so that you can reek havoc while the guards are at their weakest?

The Lamp

Cross-posting from the other thread:

"Here's a detailed list from HungryGhost57 on the article and what it mentions, get ready.

All new info: • Started working on game before unity • Brand new fighting system • New A.I. • No minimap but a elder scrolls type compass at top • No more sprinting button, speed depends on analog stick • Crouching is back • Story is being kept a secret • Eagle vision is a subtle pulse that highlights objects not enemies • Takes place during the ascent and reign of cleopatra • You can climb everything in the game • Large and small cities with many landmarks including Memphis and Alexandria • The controllable eagle leak was true • NPC's have a day/night cycle and includes time for them to eat, sleep, work, and "answer the call of nature" • Attack buttons are the right shoulder and trigger • A.I. does not take turns to attack • New combat system is more hit-box driven • As you fight, an adrenaline gauge fills up, and when both attack buttons are pressed powerful attacks are unleashed • Left shoulder button is lock on • There are treasures to find in the depths of the water (sunken ships, long-forgotten ruins) • Stat element of customization is removed • New gear system where players can improve specific parts of your gear by crafting materials • Leveling system that has a level cap of 40 • Bayek is not the only playable character in the game but that character is a secret • There are legendary items to loot in the game • You can add blocked arrows to your inventory • You can no longer one hit enemies that are more powerful than you with your hidden blade • Buttons for free-running up and down are removed • Puzzles are back but more challenging and less switches • Much more in depth ability graph with 3 paths (Seer, Warrior, Hunter) • There are gladiator battles in arenas"

Sounds like the bare minimum they needed to do to make an enjoyable evolution of the franchise. I want to see the game in action now. The make or break feature for me will be the combat

jelly

Don't they always say the combat has been rethought but alas, it's still complete shit. This time.....

I like the time period, hopeful it just plays better with less fat. I don't want dragged down by interactions. Be nimble like the character.

4k camel riding is the obvious sell for me.

Honestly I've never really played an ass creed outside of the first one. But I'll dip if this thing is like unbelievable-take-a-shit-on-the-Witcher 3 open world graphics.

Protome

So who else is gonna wait til night time for most infiltrations so that you can reek havoc while the guards are at their weakest?

Knowing me I'll do nightime for a few then get impatient and...

Daytime. I'll kill them all.

6528c9_16a473f85d4146a6893b3dce90d6dda5~mv2.gif

Monocle

Sounds pretty good, except for the part about weakening stealth kills. One shotting enemies you catch by surprise is one of the most fun aspects of the AC series. It never gets old. I'm really not into the idea of all higher level enemies being immune to your assassin doing what assassins do.

Madness

Before Unity released. Like right after Black Flag ended.

I am not sure this is a good thing post Mass Effect Andromeda. There is a thing as too long in development where things feel disjointed and some parts of the game clearly feel 'earlier' than other parts. Hope this isn't the case here. Assassins Creed can really use a solid new game that reinvigorates the series.

Curious to see the gameplay. Unity really burned me on the whole franchise, but I am really curious what the break has done for this new game.

There was a big step between Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed. They can do big things if they actually try.

Crossing Eden

I am not sure this is a good thing post Mass Effect Andromeda. There is a thing as too long in development where things feel disjointed and some parts of the game clearly feel 'earlier' than other parts. Hope this isn't the case here. Assassins Creed can really use a solid new game that reinvigorates the series.
Based on reports this game seems to be the most open but also the most focused AC game ever in terms of what the devs wanted to do. One of the main aims apparently was making sure that Black Flag, a similarly focused game in terms of it's themes, wasn't an accident.

I really wish you could glide in this game. One of the reasons climbing absolutely anything is so fun in BOTW is that you can then glide from that vantage toward anything that peaks your interest. It would be pretty ridiculous working gliding into a series as (relatively) grounded as AC but man would it be cool to fly down from the top of the pyramids :)

In a goofier game, you'd hold onto the feet of your eagle like 2B with her pod. Hahaha

Flipyap

Based on reports this game seems to be the most open but also the most focused AC game ever in terms of what the devs wanted to do. One of the main aims apparently was making sure that Black Flag, a similarly focused game in terms of it's themes, wasn't an accident.
Was Black Flag really all that focused? Its on-foot sections (the Assassin's Creed parts) felt like an afterthought and it didn't even do a good job selling the fantasy of being a pirate.
In my opinion, that game needed Freedom Cry to finally make sense of its themes and mechanics.

I really wish you could glide in this game. One of the reasons climbing absolutely anything is so fun in BOTW is that you can then glide from that vantage toward anything that peaks your interest. It would be pretty ridiculous working gliding into a series as (relatively) grounded as AC but man would it be cool to fly down from the top of the pyramids :)

In a goofier game, you'd hold onto the feet of your eagle like 2B with her pod. Hahaha

Mark target > climb > glide > assassinate.

There actually has been gliding in this series before. You had a parachute in Brotherhood and Revelations. It was a ton of fun combining the hook blade and parachute in Rev.

Ex-Psych

After revelations I fell off the Assassin Creed franchise.

But with the drastic changes being made, I might jump back in.

Top Bottom