• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME Merge VR. Anyone tried this?

BibiMaghoo

So GAME is selling this thing for £50.

Merge%20VR%20special%20feature.jpg

Video

Merge VR Goggles: Comfortable and Durable VR Headset, Powered by Your Smartphone

The Merge VR Goggles turn your smartphone into an immersive virtual reality headset
Made of soft, lightweight, durable foam that's comfortable to wear and easy to clean
Dual input buttons enable you to explore, play, travel, learn and experience digital content like never before
Fully adjustable lenses
Compatible with most iOS and Android Smartphones made in the past two years, and work with any existing virtual reality apps on Google Play and the iOS App Store

Try in store today!

Has anyone tried this? I couldn't find a thread and a couple of reviews in the wild are fairly positive. Considering it as a gift, but if it's good I may grab one for myself.

oldmario

looked on amazon, you can get these plastic versions of the google cardboard from around £10 so i guess the £50 is typical game mark up

BibiMaghoo

looked on amazon, you can get these plastic versions of the google cardboard from around £10 so i guess the £50 is typical game mark up

I looked at ebay and amazon cheap versions, and they all have serious flaws, mainly field of view from what I've read. I was hoping at £50 this may be somewhat better.

Looks like a more expensive version of cardboard, almost as much as a Gear VR.

Gear VR costs considerably more.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Any mobile VR headset that claims to support iOS is going to be fairly gimmicky as that means it utilizes no hardware or lower level software optimizations. You would likely be better off spending the extra £30 and getting a Gear VR if your phone is a compatible model or go for a cheaper Google cardboard kit which will presumably work just as well if not better.

Is this a problem with VR headsets?

It's a consideration. For one, even light to moderate use of the thing will accumulate facial oils and sweat. But mainly you're probably going to be showing it to a lot of family and friends, and it's kind of gross mixing everybody's face/eye germs and stuff. So having a device that's easy to clean and keep clean is a plus.

They also make cloth covers for HMD devices, removable and washable. I'll be getting one for myself when VR drops next year.

I looked at ebay and amazon cheap versions, and they all have serious flaws, mainly field of view from what I've read. I was hoping at £50 this may be somewhat better.

Gear VR costs considerably more.

Yeah, if you're already spending $70 an additional $30 isn't even close to "considerably" more.

Another Plastic (Sorry, FOAM) Cardboard VR unit.

I ordered mine for $20AU including shipping, so effectively like, 8 or 9 Quid.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A26a-Vir...hash=item3aa88ad4d9:m:mJ5i-kfx2M2nC3OajEsTEvA

I actually quite like this one. Doesn't have a camera slot, but it's got everything else. it also can switch to HMD mode so you can watch movies and stuff.

Besides, There's very little about Device size specs here. How do we know if it supports 6 inch devices like the Note 4 or iphone 6/s+?

PGamer

fucking juniors
So it says, but I don't see any being sold for that price. Samsung are not selling any, only the innovator that is twice that price.

And it also only works with Samsung phones? That makes it useless to me anyway.

Yeah it only works with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, S6, S6 Edge, and S6 Edge+. I haven't used the model in the OP but I would still recommend getting a cheaper Google Cardboard kit.

Top Bottom