• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
This new idea floating around is very interesting. I'm seeing folks say what if the White Walker threat was resolved this season, and dwindles the Dany/Jon forces to the point that the Cercei/Euron actually has the upper hand in season 8? The political conflicts is the crux of the show and the series should end with Human/Human as the core plot element. 80% of the series has been about the Great Game. It should end on that note. And it would be an excusable reason to allow cersei and Jaime to persist to the end instead of "Muh Plot Armuh".

I think it's an interesting idea. Jon and many others fight to save the entire world, and in the end, it just results in shitty people still being in power and running what is left very selfishly. That's a cool ending.

I just watched episode 2 for a second time and I can't believe I only just noticed Qyburn is now Hand of the Queen.

Qyburn is the guy who made Zombie Mountain, right? I had no idea either. Just assumed he took over from Pycell as Archmaester.

This new idea floating around is very interesting. I'm seeing folks say what if the White Walker threat was resolved this season, and dwindles the Dany/Jon forces to the point that the Cercei/Euron actually has the upper hand in season 8? The political conflicts is the crux of the show and the series should end with Human/Human as the core plot element. 80% of the series has been about the Great Game. It should end on that note. And it would be an excusable reason to allow cersei and Jaime to persist to the end instead of "Muh Plot Armuh".

After so much build up ever since the very beginning, the White Walkers need to be a big deal, even if they're defeated two episodes before it ends and the rest is just tying up loose ends between the Game Players.

So they're going to wrap up the White Walker threat in less than 5 episodes while it took humanity and the CotF a generation to beat them the first time? Hell even 13 episodes was rushing it in my opinion.

Yeah, wrapping up everything in another 11 episodes already seems crazy. Particularly if we're due to get a lot of screen time with Euron as the immediate big villain this time around (which I still don't like; not enough time to be introducing new major characters at this point). But it would be interesting if Cersei is still on the Iron Throne when the White Walkers are dealt with, and then in the final scene just as she's all smug and victorious Arya rolls up and kills her.

I now feel Cersei, Jon and Danaerys will die next season. Tyrion or Sansa will win the Iron Throne and it all ends with an older Sam (GRRM) closing the book he just finished writing or narrating.

I would hate it if this all turns out to be a story recalled by Sam. The only times I have enjoyed that as a plot mechanic have been in The Princess Bride and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (where it's used to great gameplay effect).

groansey

I assumed we'd learn more and maybe see the Lord of Light at some point, given he's the opposing force to the Night King. It is called A Song of Fire and Ice after all, what if it was him that sent the Mad King crazy and he does the same to Dany? But it seems too late in the day for them to do anything with that now.

Edit: No way Sansa and Jon are outsmarting Littlefinger. I think both will be dead before the end. Arya will be the last remaining Stark.... unless Bran lives on to become Max Von Siddow...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They just resurrected Jon last season, I doubt they'll kill him. At least, not until the finale of the series, worst case scenario.

Edit: No way Sansa and Jon are outsmarting Littlefinger. I think both will be dead before the end. Arya will be the last remaining Stark.... unless Bran lives on to become Max Von Siddow...

Little Finger really doesn't want Sansa dead, so nope. And it would be really weird for Little Finger to gain anything on them, with Sansa, Jon, Brienne and Ser Davos all being so mistrusting against him. That would just be cheap of the writers to let him win anymore.

Elandyll

Banned
I think it's an interesting idea. Jon and many others fight to save the entire world, and in the end, it just results in shitty people still being in power and running what is left very selfishly. That's a cool ending.
It's not going to happen though.

You don't build "Winter is Coming" for 6 seasons and have it solved in 2 episodes

Thing is, next ep is probably all about Euron/ Circei interaction, Jon meeting Dany, and Bran/ Arya arriving to Winterfell.
There will also be a big chunk with the assault on Casterly Rock by the Unsullied.

That leaves 4 eps to wrap the season, with the WWs still not at the wall, and for now without a way to cross it afawk.

The rest of the season is likely to be about the consolidation of power in Westeros, building a coalition army to fight the WWs, with the last episode somehow being about crossing the wall (hopefully Tormund still alive), leaving most of season 8 for the actual fight (I imagine 4-5 eps) and at least 1 ep of epilogue.

Elandyll

Banned
Am I going crazy or is there another thread just like this one?
There is also an open book spoiler one.
Edit: I consider this one more the "official" tv show ep discussion one, while the other has tons of people discussing differences between the show and the books.

HvySky

I can't imagine the White Walkers and arrival of the Long Night not being the endgame. It was established in the very first episode and has been looming in the distance ever since.

Mediking

There is also an open book spoiler one.
Edit: I consider this one more the "official" tv show ep discussion one, while the other has tons of people discussing differences between the show and the books.

Ah... thanks.

Gotta find the book spoiler thread.

Honestly the entire show IMO has been about how all the politics and squabbling in the south has essentially been a waste of time when you have a threat that will literally wipe everyone out regardless of allegiance.

The Great Game is a side show compared to what's coming.

Just_one

I think it will go down like this :

Season 7

Ep 3 - Bran and Arya arrive at winterfell , Jon meets Danerys , Euron gives the gift to Cersei
Ep 4 - Cersei tortures martell woman (cant remember her name), Big unsulied battle , sam heals johan
Ep 5 - Siege on Kings Landing begins , everyone marches towards kings landing
Ep 6 - the big battle begins for the iron throne begins, one dragon dies
Ep 7 - Ending of the battle for the iron throne and White Walkers arrive at the wall and destroy it passing through it

Season 8

Ep 1 - White Walkers march south and aftermath of the battle for the iron throne
Ep 2 - Everyone gathers to fight them + Start of the Fight (end of episode)
Ep 3 - Start of the fight , one of the dragons turns to White Walkers side
Ep 4 - White Walkers are defeated
Ep 5 - Aftermath of the battle and ending

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm just bit disappointed if direwolves never play bigger role in thus story. I felt when they found wolves, they would play major role.
Ultimately they have played the role a real wolf might have. The feeling at the start was that they were somehow destined to be with the Stark's and thus would play a bigger role, but that was pretty much laid to rest when lady was killed. They have also had a metaphorical role to play, but that has always being pretty loose.

Season 7

Ep 3 - Bran and Arya arrive at winterfell , Jon meets Danerys , Euron gives the gift to Cersei
Ep 4 - Cersei tortures martell woman (cant remember her name), Big unsulied battle , sam heals johan
Ep 7 - Ending of the battle for the iron throne and White Walkers arrive at the wall and destroy it passing through it

Season 8

Ep 1 - White Walkers march south and aftermath of the battle for the iron throne
Ep 4 - White Walkers are defeated
Ep 5 - Aftermath of the battle and ending

There is an episode six in season 8......is it just a live stream of George typing out chapter 4 of Winds of Winter?

groansey

Little Finger really doesn't want Sansa dead, so nope. And it would be really weird for Little Finger to gain anything on them, with Sansa, Jon, Brienne and Ser Davos all being so mistrusting against him. That would just be cheap of the writers to let him win anymore.

Littlefinger is Varys' counterpart, in season four he was built up as one of the most dangerous players, and he's been consistently pulling strings behind the scenes - they've also put him on the backfoot with Sansa and Jon the last few episodes im order to make the audience underestimate him... the characters may distrust him, but to have him outsmarted by Sansa and his arc just fizzle out would be bad writing imo. Always bet on Littlefinger.

Season 7

Season 8

Ep 4 - Sam finds out how to defeat the White Walkers
Ep 5 - White Walkers are defeated
Ep 6 - Aftermath of the battle and ending, Sam is given the Iron Throne, all praise Samwell Tarly, First Of His Name!

S8 has 6 episodes so I've added one to your description! :)

jett

D-Member
Hot Pie actually makes hot pies for a living

http://www.thisisinsider.com/game-o...facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-insider-main

The real-life Hot Pie, aka actor Ben Hawkey, has opened a "Game of Thrones"-themed bakery appropriately called "You Know Nothing John Dough."

Hot Pie is one of the sweetest characters on "GoT" — all he wants to do is give Arya some delicious bread. And now we can try his famous Direwolf loaves for ourselves.

The bakery is based in London and operates via delivery service Deliveroo, where you can order the loaves for just $1.30 each. They're made from whole wheat cornbread with orange zest and, per Deliveroo's instructions, are best served slightly warm with soft butter.
edit: seems it was a marketing stunt?

Croc

Banned
Littlefinger is Varys' counterpart, in season four he was built up as one of the most dangerous players, and he's been consistently pulling strings behind the scenes - they've also put him on the backfoot with Sansa and Jon the last few episodes im order to make the audience underestimate him... the characters may distrust him, but to have him outsmarted by Sansa and his arc just fizzle out would be bad writing imo. Always bet on Littlefinger.

I mean, having him be outsmarted by Sansa wouldn't exactly be fizzling out. I'm sure it would be kind of a big deal

Why I expect it to happen.

Venture

Yeah, talk about climbing the career ladder. How did he come to fix Jaime's hand anyway, was he in that Bolton camp? Can't even remember.
Yes, he was with the Boltons at Harrenhal. As Robb's forces are approaching, The Mountain slaughters all the prisoners and abandons Harrenhal. Robb finds Qyburn there, barely alive. Robb later leaves for his grandfather's funeral leaving the Boltons in charge there when Jamie is brought in.

turtle553

I just watched episode 2 for a second time and I can't believe I only just noticed Qyburn is now Hand of the Queen.

He was hand before Cercei was even crowned in last season's finale.

details-missed-in-Game-of-Thrones-season-6-episode-10-2.jpg

You know I just realized how the show has slowly mixed in Jon and Dany's worlds prior to their meeting.

We had Ser Jorah meet with Sam.
We had Melisandre meet with Dany.
And now its Dany and Jon meeting.

Star crossed lovers yall! I stay shipping.

You know I just realized how the show has slowly mixed in Jon and Dany's worlds prior to their meeting.

Seems to happen with everyone though.

There is almost always some sort of connection between several characters.

I thought for sure Jorah was going to lead the charge against the whitewalkers.

LIke greyscale is the best defense against the undead...

Now, I'm much less sure!

But if they get together doesn't the show then condemn them? Its just the incest again, something the show always paints unfavorably because it makes people batshit insane.

-griffy-

Banned

They'll misdirect and make it look like Sansa is being manipulated by Littlefinger while Jon is gone, before revealing that she was playing him the whole time. She said it herself that you can't trust him, and they need his men but not necessarily him. She will undo him while securing the loyalty of his army, maybe with Arya's help.

aBarreras

Not much older, they were both born right at the end of Robert's rebellion.

Actually, Jon is almost a year older than Dany, his conception caused Robert's Rebellion, and Dany was born after it was over.

i find so funny that "robert's rebellion" has that name, like ROBERT'S REBELLION, like he was the only one on that thing. compared to the "War of the Five Kings" it is not as catchy

Croc

Banned
They'll misdirect and make it look like Sansa is being manipulated by Littlefinger while Jon is gone, before revealing that she was playing him the whole time. She said it herself that you can't trust him, and they need his men but not necessarily him. She will undo him while securing the loyalty of his army, maybe with Arya's help.

This is what I think will happen also. I think LF underestimates Sansa and that'll be what does him in. But yeah I'm also really curious to see how Bran and Arya affect whatever will be going down there

My only hope.

Zolo

Looking over Youtube, it's surprising to see Stannis has a whole 40 minutes more of screentime than Tywin. Even counting the episodes up until Tywin's death, Stannis seemed to have pretty much the same amount of screentime.

But if they get together doesn't the show then condemn them? Its just the incest again, something the show always paints unfavorably because it makes people batshit insane.

Incest is a Targaryen thing and the real controversy with the lannister incest was mostly because Joff, Cersei and Jaime are all assholes so naturally. The realm held on to anything that would weaken their claim to the iron throne.

Just realized the Baratheon line is officially extinct.

Volimar

I think that in the end she'll turn on Littlefinger and stay loyal to Jon, but the seeds of what he has planted in her head will stay there and may come up again.

aBarreras

Incest is a Targaryen thing and the real controversy with the lannister incest was mostly because Joff, Cersei and Jaime are all assholes so naturally. The realm held on to anything that would weaken their claim to the iron throne.

Just realized the Baratheon line is officially extinct.

well yeah officially but the new king can legitimize Gendry right?

-griffy-

Banned
So was Jon?

Yeah I thought at the point that Ned went to the tower and got baby Jon, the rebellion was more or less done. Rhaegar was already dead, Jaime had killed the Mad King, etc. I also thought Dany and Viserys were already born at that point and were rushed out of Westeros and put into hiding for their safety during the rebellion. Obviously Dany would have to have been born before the rebellion is done because she is the Mad King's daughter. She can't have been born after he's dead.

EDIT: Yeah I just watched the Tower scene again and Ned says both Rhaegar and the Mad King are already dead. That makes Dany a bit older than Jon.

OrionX

I assumed that Jon was born a little before the Sack of King's Landing, and Dany was born after at Dragonstone... still probably pretty close though.

Edit: Oh nevermind I guess, didn't remember Ned saying that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom