• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

Bran interacting with Hodor in the past didn't change Hodor's fate, it was his fate. Also a lesson to Bran not to fuck with the past.

Whatever Bran does in the past has already happened. So what exactly is he going to try to make the mad king do? It's already happened so he won't need to make contact with the mad king unless he knows he has to.

This is what I'm saying, which is confusing, because time travel is fucked up by nature.

OrionX

This actually has me more worried about Sansa. I was expecting here to be agreeing with LF early on, and then making the pivot back towards Jon at the end. If she's being a smartass to LF in the first episode right off the bat, that means that if there's fuckery to go done with Sansa, she'd be hopping on the LF express mid season. I don't see them going back and forth with this :/

I really hope I'm wrong but I think so too. I think a part of her kinda likes the attention he gives her, despite how much she tries to brush him off and acts like he annoys her. Littlefinger's just waiting for the right moment, whispering in her ear to plant doubts in her head.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That was incidental to his presence there. It's the type of time travel where the results of messing with the past are already felt in the present before being messed with. Therefore, the Mad King being mad is already felt, so you could reason that trying to contact him is pointless.

But if Bran knows it, which he should (cuz Hodor), then he has zero reason to try and change anything thus it wouldn't become altered (cept Hodor).

Oh I'm not saying Bran turned Aerys II mad. I know he didn't just go mad at the flip of a hat like a lot of people keep thinking, and that a combination of various things happening turned him into what he became. I'm just asking how Bran could affect some things and not others.

Im confused about the whole 3 eyed raven and time travel thing... Bran was born in the current timeline like 14 years ago, so how did he exist in the past? Are we just supposed to accept all this?

Gnome

Oh I'm not saying Bran turned Aerys II mad. I know he didn't just go mad at the flip of a hat like a lot of people keep thinking, and that a combination of various things happening turned him into what he became. I'm just asking how Bran could affect some things and not others.

He can try to change whatever he wants, potentially, but he'll always be met with
Chrono-trigger-but-the-future-refused-to-change-300x225.jpg

Im confused about the whole 3 eyed raven and time travel thing... Bran was born in the current timeline like 14 years ago, so how did he exist in the past? Are we just supposed to accept all this?

He can witness the past, and interact with it a bit, via the Weirwood tree's.

CheckMate

Bran probably has to learn that lesson for himself though. He's the three-eyed raven now.

I think that'll happen after he tries to alter history by warning the Mad King, but all he does is create the Mad King. That'll be the point where he realizes his role in this time loop. Then he'll go back and build The Wall, etc.

I meant Brynden Rivers who was the old Three-eyed raven warned The Mad King from the the white walkers.

There is no reason for Bran to warn the mad king of anything since he didn't know him or how he would react, but Brynden was his brother, he probably thought he could help him somehow and it backfired, that's why he seemed upset when Bran was talking to his father when he called his name.

molnizzle

Bran interacting with Hodor in the past didn't change Hodor's fate, it was his fate. Also a lesson to Bran not to fuck with the past.

Whatever Bran does in the past has already happened. So what exactly is he going to try to make the mad king do? It's already happened so he won't need to make contact with the mad king unless he knows he has to.

He's going to try to do something and fail. Because like you said, whatever Bran changes has already happened. I think he might go back to try and save his father, grandfather, etc. by warning the Mad King about the coming winter. But he'll find that he actually doesn't change anything, all he does is create the current timeline that he's already familiar with. It's then that he'll realize his importance in creating the events of the past. The Wall is currently built because he'll go back and build it. He'll realize that if he doesn't do that, everything is fucked.

My theory at least. We'll see.

I meant Brynden Rivers who was the old Three-eyed raven warned The Mad King from the the white walkers.

There is no reason for Bran to warn the mad king of anything since he didn't know him or how he would react, but Brynden was his brother, he probably thought he could help him somehow and it backfiredThat's why he seemed upset when Bran was talking to his father when he called his name.

In this theory I've got going, Brynden Rivers and Bran Stark are the same person.

FiggyCal

Banned

But something would have to have caused Bran to interact with the mad king in the past in the first place (if the theory is true). It's not as if there's some timeline where Bran never interacted with the mad King and he was a great ruler, Baratheon never took over, his parents are still alive, etc.

If he really caused the mad king to "burn them all", then he would have always been the one to cause it even if he knows the mad king was mad. Seeing as how Bran lives in the world he does; (if the theory is true) then he will interact with him anyway.

I don't really think the theory works anyway. But maybe the show will prove me wrong.

C4Lukins

Have we ever seen Casterly Rock? It seems like it could be a game changer if it is ever acknowledged...

Also awesome episode. From beginning to end. They have had some misses in the past, but that was excellent.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Have we ever seen Casterly Rock? It seems like it could be a game changer if it is ever acknowledged...

Nope, we got a bait and switch in season 3 when we thought Rob was gonna take Casterly Rock, and then the next episode everyone dies.

Heshinsi

But that all just feels fairly simple because it's an army of people who have no character or thought. They just are a huge powerful number who obey Dany, except for that one commander dude who seems to get some character.

And if Im not remembering incorrectly, she amasses other soldiers and ex-slaves.

Dany's whole thing is to resume her father's role, even though he was mad, and I just didn't care much for how quick and easy her rise all felt. Its always felt like one convenient thing after another, and it always felt quite different in quality to the other stuff.

The north follows Jon around even though he straight up led them into a trap and almost got them all killed. What is the point you're trying to make lol? People followed Tywin, they followed Ned, the entire fucking Dorne followed Ellaria and her stupid regicide move, etc.

Dany isn't planning to go be a Mad Queen, so I don't get what you mean with the whole wants "to resume her father's role". The Targaryens built the Iron Throne, they forged the seven kingdoms, and that throne is her ancestral heritage. She has every right to make a claim on it. And considering the horrific impact Joff and now Cersei have had on the people of Westeros, why shouldn't she depose of the Lannisters? Her father might have been crazy, but not all Targaryens were bad, Her brother Rhaegar was loved by small folk and nobles alike. So maybe she wants to follow his path.

CheckMate

In this theory I've got going, Brynden Rivers and Bran Stark are the same person.

How can Bran be Bran The Builder AND Brynden Rivers? It makes sense for him to be The Builder since he was the first Stark and we don't know his origin, but we know who Brynden Rivers parents are..

img_1354hqsub.jpg

The children carved his face long before the creation of the white walkers.. maybe he went in time and interacted with the children? It's probably why Leaf seemed familiar with both the three eyed raven and bran. I still believe bran is all of them or at least one of them. Older 3ER, Bran the builder or the Nights King.

I still find the Daenaryes storyline to be the weakest and she just annoys me as a result.
Same. I've felt that her storyline was basically crap after season 1 and I've never understood how such a character has been written to be so important but has spent the entire series basically doing nothing.

Sure she has been on this conquest and building an army and getting these dragons but this felt entirely pointless with the little amount of conflict she faced in her story. I thought about this a while back and the main reason why I've felt that her story sucks is because it has always lacked a primary antagonist connecting everything together. Why didn't they give her someone to fight through the last five seasons?

I feel like she is a character that doesn't belong or could be a part of a different show entirely. The last five seasons consisted of her fighting off faceless adversaries and i just don't think she fits in with the rest of the story.

I fucking hate her tbh. She could basically be written out of the show entirely and little would have to be changed in the series.

C4Lukins

Nope. Arya is with some Lannister men right now yeah? Maybe she'll stick with them on their way home and we'll catch a glimpse.

Nice to see I am not crazy.

When we were first introduced to Tywin gutting that animal I thought maybe they were there, but they were in tents in preparation for the battle ahead.

Edit: Tywin.. How does Apple think Tyson is a word and not Tywin.

molnizzle

How can Bran be Bran The Builder AND Brynden Rivers? It makes sense for him to be The Builder since he was the first Stark and we don't know his origin, but we know who Brynden Rivers parents are..

When you can weave in and out of time as you see fit, you can be anyone and everyone.

Maybe he just whispers in Brynden's ear, who knows. Maybe he possesses the guy's body, just like he possessed Hodor once before. Dude is basically the McGuffin of the entire series. He's anything he needs to be.

img_1354hqsub.jpg

The children carved his face long before the creation of the white walkers.. maybe he went in time and interacted with the children? It's probably why Leaf seemed familiar with both the three eyed raven and bran.

^^

Bran's face

imo

Also awesome episode. From beginning to end. They have had some misses in the past, but that was excellent.

If I were Dany, Casterly Rock would be it first place I'd attack. It'd immediately weaken Cersei and Tyrion by her side it should be pretty easy

C4Lukins

The One and Done™;243679803 said:
If I were Dany, Casterly Rock would be it first place I'd attack. It'd immediately weaken Cersei and Tyrion by her side it should be pretty easy

I would have to look it up but people with more knowledge then myself can correct me if wrong. I believe Casterly Rock is in the West of Westeros. Somewhere a bit North of Highgarden.

Brashnir

I would have to look it up but people with more knowledge then myself can correct me if wrong. I believe Casterly Rock is in the West of Westeros. Somewhere a bit North of Highgarden.

This is correct. Casterly Rock is the capital of the Westerlands.

It's a long way from Dragonstone.

Heshinsi

Because anyone who stands against the true Queen gets a dragon to the face!

#TeamDany

Dany was circling the drain (sorry Dany but Mereen sucked) for most of two seasons. People are acting like it has been win after win for her. She got bogged down in Mereen once she heard the previous cities she'd freed had been retaken by the slave masters. She stayed so that Mereen didn't fall to that same fate as well. Drogon was off doing god knows what for two seasons as well. Dany had zero Ws from early fourth season when she took Mereen, to early season six when she turned the tables on the Khals. The later she did mostly on her own.

Kickz

Decent first ep, as always Lannisters and Starks are most interesting. Luckily for us they did not waste much screentime on Dany's boring self.

Could have done without some of the nasty from Meister Jrs janitor duties =\

It is. It's also an easily defensible location because it's basically a fortress made out of a mountain--they mined into the mountain and got the gold which the Lannisters used as a foundation for their wealth.

Loxley

Decent first ep, as always Lannisters and Starks are most interesting. Luckily for us they did not waste much screentime on Dany's boring self.

Could have done without some of the nasty from Meister Jrs janitor duties =\

I was eating dinner while watching the show, I had to look away from the screen during that freaking shit n' vomit montage.

It just. kept. going.

Heshinsi

It is. It's also an easily defensible location because it's basically a fortress made out of a mountain--they mined into the mountain and got the gold which the Lannisters used as a foundation for their wealth.
Not to mention you've got the Iron Islands a little north from there. Dany send the bulk of her forces to invade Casterly Rock, and she could easily find her forces stuck between a well fortified coastal city, and Euron Greyjoy's newly minted 1000 strong naval armada.

Not to mention you've got the Iron Islands a little north from there. Dany send the bulk of her forces to invade Casterly Rock, and she could easily find her forces stuck between a well fortified coastal city, and Euron Greyjoy's newly minted 1000 strong naval armada.

Yup. If Euron is intent on throwing in with Cersei, he could easily defend Casterly Rock from the comfort of his own home.

C4Lukins

Well I bet it is going to be a huge part of the last 12 episodes. Because the Lannisters seem super fucked without some crazy support coming from an unknown entity.

So a couple more questions. Where is Old Town, and where is that bank that loaned money to Stannis back in the day.. And where is their alligience?

The north follows Jon around even though he straight up led them into a trap and almost got them all killed. What is the point you're trying to make lol? People followed Tywin, they followed Ned, the entire fucking Dorne followed Ellaria and her stupid regicide move, etc.

Dany isn't planning to go be a Mad Queen, so I don't get what you mean with the whole wants "to resume her father's role". The Targaryens built the Iron Throne, they forged the seven kingdoms, and that throne is her ancestral heritage. She has every right to make a claim on it. And considering the horrific impact Joff and now Cersei have had on the people of Westeros, why shouldn't she depose of the Lannisters? Her father might have been crazy, but not all Targaryens were bad, Her brother Rhaegar was loved by small folk and nobles alike. So maybe she wants to follow his path.

Yeah but those people are at least like kin or have a history with their leader and the leader's ancestors, right? You can sort of understand that there is a solid history there.

With Dany, she has a bunch of ex-slaves who are following her because "well, they hated being ruled by mean rulers before them, so they are all obedient and happy to die for the Dragon Queen". I guess I just don't buy it. Im curious about the individuals in her army, and about rivals in the lands that don't come off as dumb goofball enemies (like those 3 mini-bosses last season).

She has a foreign army, they are following a queen who started with nothing, and kept conveniently getting lucky. It just all feels lucky I guess.

Im still unsure how she got those dragons, the supposed only 3 dragon eggs ever left, and then she keeps winning over a bunch of different armies who you would think have strong customs and cultures to want to follow some random person.... All of it just feels really glossed over and I can accept that it's just the case because it would be too time consuming and pointless to go into subplots for such cases.

Anyways, I recall last season, she got taken by some group, and then they found her because of a piece of cloth on the field.... I swear there are a bunch of similar instances regarding her writing and rise to power, and it just bothers me.

I know she can be a good queen unlike her father, but Im just not into how she seems so one dimensional through it all. Even Cersei gets tons of opportunities to come off as sympathetic or despicable or human because of her dad, brother, Tyrion, her kids, her in-laws, etc.

Dany has never really felt that developed, and I just feel part of it is because her environment is never really allowed to develop it own complexity. The slave soldiers, the lands, her one-track motivation all just seem undercooked, and she in turn is too plain.

The only time she felt interesting was when the Dothraki were focused on, because then she at least felt immersed in a culture, and then it all goes away and she bounces around a bunch of places and people. I feel like her whole story could have been more concentrated, but I guess it would be difficult to pace her story against that of whats happening in Westeros.

Memento

Surely I am not the only one that hopes Cersei fucks them all up, right?

Especially Jon Snow. What a crap character, Jesus.

I was eating dinner while watching the show, I had to look away from the screen during that freaking shit n' vomit montage.

It just. kept. going.

I loved it as a storytelling mechanic. Really puts you in his position going through that rote pattern.

My wife hated it.

C4Lukins

One of the dumbest things in the series.

It was an interesting way to show Sams complete lack of influence at his new job. Day after day of shit and bed pans, and not being able to pursue what he ventured there for. It was revolting but not uneccasary.

Where is the conflict and character development if he just walks in to the library and finds "Killing Whitewalkers for Dummies?" I really enjoyed that sequence, but I had to put my drink down until it was finished.

molnizzle

It just. kept. going.

So blood, guts, dismemberment and all manner of sexual intercorse are fine - but they better not show a turd.

Sounds like you should better prepare before watching something like Game of Thrones. I liked that montage, it grounded the show in human reality. That isn't always easy to do in a show about ice zombies and dragons.

Jombie

It was an interesting way to show Sams complete lack of influence at his new job. Day after day of shit and bed pans, and not being able to pursue what he ventured there for. It was revolting but not uneccasary.

Except we already saw what he was doing, then it cuts to the montage. It was easy to decipher that he was doing dirty work. They could have shot another scene, montages like that are just lazy.

Loxley

So blood, guts, dismemberment and all manner of sexual intercorse are fine - but they better not show a turd.

I mean, my point was simply that the scene was made worse by the fact that I was eating when it happened, but if that's ^^ what you want to take away from my post, then alright ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C4Lukins

Except we already saw what he was doing, then it cuts to the montage. It was easy to decipher that he was doing dirty work. They could have shot another scene, montages like that are just lazy.

They got through it in like three minutes. Some shows including Game of Thrones hit you over the head with an idea over the course of seasons. It was a short montage, they payed off within the very episode it was shown. Unlike those religious finatics in Kings Landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom