• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skux

"Haven't heard that song before"
"It's a new one"
Ayy lmao

So good to be back in Westeros.

Loved the Sam montage.

The final scene among the rocks was beautifully shot.

Magwik

Banned
It's almost as if the shit montage was supposed to have this affect on you.
Of course you hate it and don't want to see it again, because it worked

It's a simple dumb way to remind viewers of the shitty situation Sam has gotten into, and to add a sense of urgency so we understand his actions in the coming episodes.

There is nothing offensive about it.

Moonkid

I wish we had more segments like the montage in Oldtown that goes against the grain, spice things up y'know.

There was also a nicely framed wide shot during the burial with Clegane and Thoros, it's a shame they don't let the camera linger for more than two seconds >:c

WriterGK

I wish we had more segments like the montage in Oldtown that goes against the grain, spice things up y'know.

There was also a nicely framed wide shot during the burial with Clegane and Thoros, it's a shame they don't let the camera linger for more than two seconds >:c

That was awesome indeed, loved it.

I would find a dead soldier's guts pouring out of his body less disgusting than his shit caked undergarments from said gutting tbh. Although I'd rather watch most things instead of any Sam scenes regardless of shit montages.

roytheone

Good enough episode. I actually kinda liked the montage, it was a bit of levity which is very rare in this series. I am also very happy that my fear that this season would have some very boring "Jorah searching for a cure" scenes have been put to rest!

Euron was one the best things about this episode lmao. Kept burning Jamie left and right.
Agreed. He was great.

It's almost as if the shit montage was supposed to have this affect on you.
Of course you hate it and don't want to see it again, because it worked

It's a simple dumb way to remind viewers of the shitty situation Sam has gotten into, and to add a sense of urgency so we understand his actions in the coming episodes.

There is nothing offensive about it.
Exactly this.

YEa I just turned the volume down and squinted for awhile there..

Some unnecessary BS

Lmao, you guys are weirdos, this is the show where infants have been slain, pregnant women shanked in the womb, main characters raped/fed to dogs...but god forbid them show a little bit of fecal matter.

Risible

The "problem" with the Ed Sheeran scene was that once I saw him I knew there was no danger. I knew there was NO WAY that he would be in a scene where what is basically a child was killed or even attacked. It took the tension out of the scene.

Monocle

Hyperbole much? As I said before, we already had a scene of him cleaning shit, gagging and scrubbing chamber pots - we didn't need another one, let alone some contrived montage. It's silly to suggest that we needed that to have empathy for Sam at this point.
Well art isn't really about what's needed, is it? A scene can be more than one thing at once. Sam's montage serves a narrative purpose, sure. Its existence can also be justified as a humorous interlude or a stylistic rendering of bottom-rung drudgery. Its qualities as a well-edited well-shot well-acted standalone piece are worth some consideration too, for those who care about the nuts and bolts of cinematic storytelling.

It's too bad some viewers are in such a rush to get to the next story beat that they can't take pleasure in artistic flourishes or unexpected eddies in the narrative stream. I mean, arguably one of the most rewarding features of narrative media—whether it's books, movies, paintings, whatever—is the opportunity to discover unlooked-for little parcels of wit or insight or amusement.

And yeah, a montage that cheekily juxtaposes soup and shit falls squarely in this category. So does entertaining wordplay, wry observations that make you see something ordinary in a different light, a character's idle philosophical musings while she's cleaning the mud from her boots... These suprise discoveries add flavor and give the work more value than the bare minimum a story requires to go from A to B.

Personally I like being surprised by creative curveballs.

Damn the intro is so great in this episode "I'm not wasting wine on a damn woman" xD

And you know a character is badass when it appears before the title xD

The "problem" with the Ed Sheeran scene was that once I saw him I knew there was no danger. I knew there was NO WAY that he would be in a scene where what is basically a child was killed or even attacked. It took the tension out of the scene.

I felt that way too. Like they'd only cast Ed as a good guy. If some of the other soldiers turn on Arya next week, Ed will probably save her.
Man, all those shots with bed pans, turds and turd water were both hilarious (seeing Sams reaction to the smell) and disgusting. I would be a homeless beggar, before taking that job.

Peru

He fit in as well as Britney singing 'Oops I did it again' at the same campfire would. There was no immersion to be had in that scene.

blackjaw

He fit in as well as Britney singing 'Oops I did it again' at the same campfire would. There was no immersion to be had in that scene.

Call me naive but I thought he was just a random scruffy extra until after the scene when my wife mentioned who he was. It's not awkward if you have no clue who he is (still couldn't name one song he sings).

What is it about internet message boards that causes nerds to trip over themselves to show how they can't recognise one of the biggest musical acts on the planet right now?

Great first episode. I don't know who that singer was, he looked familiar though and I assumed he was in the lord of the rings or something.

What is it about internet message boards that causes nerds to trip over themselves to show how they can't recognise one of the biggest musical acts on the planet right now?

Not everyone follows pop music. I'm an edm fan so didn't know him, I just thought he was a familiar faced c-grade actor.

The best scenes were the adventures of Arya and Ed Sheeran.

What a boring fuckin' episode.

Edit: Oh boy a Daenerys episode next. Can't wait to fall asleep next week too.

I don't know what genre of music he sings and it's apparently not hip hop or R&B. It's not about proving about how out of touch we are or whatever. It's just saying the scene didn't bother us because we didn't recognize the actor. But I guess if you don't listen to Ed Shereen's genre of music it makes you a nerd. Right?

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'd say Westeros is doomed if the highest concentration of learning on the planet hasn't figured out the basics of plumbing.

Carn82

Sheeran stood out like a sore thumb. But solid first episode, loved the Dragonstone part. Clegane was great. Oldtown stuff was solid as well. Didn't care much for Cersei and J, I just want storyline to be done with. And still not liking how they're portraying Euron.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, I don't know who the dude is so it didn't bother me. /shrug

I don't have TV and most of my media consumption is podcasts, video games, and Netflix. I also don't have kids and I work in the IT field, so most coworkers wouldn't bring him up. Neogaf clearly doesn't have posts about him. I live in my own little bubble. Don't hate.

Edit: it seems like I've heard plenty of his songs at bars/clubs, just didn't know who the dude was.

JOKERACN7

Great episode!
They set up everything pretty well and managed to make it NOT boring as first episodes are susceptible to being monotonous

Ros8105

The Mormont girl was too much this episode. I get it, you don't need no man. The writers are doing a good job at making me dislike characters I liked previously.

Saganator

Guess it pays off living under a rock. I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is, didn't know that was a cameo, just thought it was a regular ass scene.

DoubleYou

The scene with Ed Sheeran confused the hell out of me. I recognised his face but wasn't sure who he was so that entire scene was me trying to remember if he was a good guy or a bad guy. In a way that really took me out of the scene. Didn't mind it too much though.

Other than that. Great episode. Really looking forward to next week.

PFD

Gotta love Euron Greyjoy " they stole my armada so I built another armada", i'll keep this quality life advice in mind the next time my car gets stolen

Also I've no idea what an Ed Sheeran is so that scene was just fine for me

How is a bastard the "rightful" king of anything? Not to mention Cersei did to his line (usurped the throne) what Robert did to the Targaryens (except he failed to get them all, and there now at least one if not two legitimate Targaryen heirs).
giphy.gif

Merely trying to reference who the guy is, jeez the Danny stans. I hope she gets eaten by her dragons in this season and they crunch her up a few times before finally killing her so we hear her screams. The reactions of her stans would be glorious.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People are just saying that Ed Sheeran didn't stick out like a sore thumb if you don't know who he is. Just seemed like any other extra. I mean were people pissed off when Dennis Pennis showed up the first time?

NYR

The Ed Sheeren cameo is getting a lot of heat, a lot of people online hated it. I don't blame them, it seemed too obvious and in your face, shock casting for sure.

Yes. I found it to be super exciting.

Im sorry you didn't, I did and apparently a lot of other people too.

I'm sure you did, it's just genuinely confusing why.

Nothing even happened except for the cold open.

And why are people complaining about Ed Sheeran in a show about ice zombies. When Jim Broadbent started talking my immediate reaction was "Oh, it's Jim Broadbent". Why isn't that getting a bunch of shit.

Aurongel

The Ed Sheeren cameo is getting a lot of heat, a lot of people online hated it. I don't blame them, it seemed too obvious and in your face, shock casting for sure.
Eh, he didn't stick out much to me but I do think casting very current celebrities is kind of a bad look for a show. Prior cameos weren't as on the nose as this but this one in a vacuum didn't draw too much attention to itself. I'm one of the biggest critics of the show and even I wasn't taken out of that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom