• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Game of Thrones dead pool going on at work. I have to pick five people/things and predict when they are biting it this season. So far I have

Cersei Lannister- Episode seven
The Wall - Episode seven
Yara Greyjoy- Episode five
Petyr Baelish - Episode three

I feel like Cersei and the Wall are fairly safe bets, while Yara and Petyr will probably die but it's difficult to nail down when. I could throw in Qyburn or the Mountain as my last pick, as I think it's likely they'll die with Cersei, but I kind of want to do something a little more out there. Anyone have any thoughts for my last pick/ current lineup?
I dont think cersei dies this season. I'm more than likely wrong though.
I think the mountain will die around ep.4
And i really hope Qyburn doesn't die. He's my favorite side character

Have a Game of Thrones dead pool going on at work. I have to pick five people/things and predict when they are biting it this season. So far I have

The Wall - Episode seven

I feel like Cersei and the Wall are fairly safe bets, while Yara and Petyr will probably die but it's difficult to nail down when. I could throw in Qyburn or the Mountain as my last pick, as I think it's likely they'll die with Cersei, but I kind of want to do something a little more out there. Anyone have any thoughts for my last pick/ current lineup?

If cersei dies at episode seven so will jaime. tyrion will be the lord of casterly rock.

Jamie won't die. He will have to find something else to live for once Cersei is gone.

b5031166-fdc5-41af-ac89-ed40fc25b940.jpg

:)

EDIT: Beaten.

Goodstyle

Of the main 3 characters, only Cersei is compelling. If she goes, the show will stop being interesting, mark my words.

Daenerys finished her character arc in S1 and since then has not grown or changed in an interesting way. She has been in the same mode for the past 6 years, her character is empty and cannot carry a show.

Jon Snow is basically your bland hero dude McGoodguy. He needs interesting people around him to operate.

Same deal with the supporting cast.

Jaime is nowhere near as interesting without Cersei.

Tyrion's arc ended at the end of season 4 and has since then been ghosting through the show. The only thing we are looking forward to with him is reuniting with his siblings.

I don't think Cersei dies this season for this reason. If she goes, the show loses its narrative thrust, it just becomes about waiting for the White Walkers. If the last arc is just Jon and Dany fighting the zombie apocalypse together, I'm checking out.

Of the main 3 characters, only Cersei is compelling. If she goes, the show will stop being interesting, mark my words.

Daenerys finished her character arc in S1 and since then has not grown or changed in an interesting way. She has been in the same mode for the past 6 years, her character is empty and cannot carry a show.

Jon Snow is basically your bland hero dude McGoodguy. He needs interesting people around him to operate.

Tyrion's arc ended at the end of season 4 and has since then been ghosting through the show. The only thing we are looking forward to with him is reuniting with his siblings.

I don't think Cersei dies this season for this reason. If she goes, the show loses its narrative thrust, it just becomes about waiting for the White Walkers. If the last arc is just Jon and Dany fighting the zombie apocalypse together, I'm checking out.

The show is ending. Losing Cersei this late in the game would not have a significant effect on the show's popularity or the rest of the narrative, especially if she goes at the end of this season. People are invested until the end now.

And there's no more waiting for White Walkers; they're here.

I disagree on Jon. He has been a pretty compelling character since season 6 when he returned. He might be the clostest thing to a hero in Game of Thrones, but that fact doesn't make him uniteresting. He is basically Ned 2.0.

Tyrion's arc, neither Dany's haven't ended at all.

sjboi

I agree that Cersei's character and arc is by far the most interesting, while Dany and especially Jon Snow can be bland. I am, however, looking forward to Dany's story this season, simply because she is FINALLY in Westeros. We've waited a very long time to see her interact with the Westerosi nobility.

Goodstyle

The show is ending. Losing Cersei this late in the game would not have a significant effect on the show's popularity or the rest of the narrative, especially if she goes at the end of this season. People are invested until the end now.

And there's no more waiting for White Walkers; they're here.

True, but with the Walkers here, it becomes standard good vs. evil without Cersei around. I'm not saying the show will stop being popular, I'm just saying she has far and away the most interesting arc on the show. If she goes, Game of Throne's black heart goes with her.

I disagree on Jon. He has been a pretty compelling character since season 6 when he returned. He might be the clostest thing to a hero in Game of Thrones, but that fact doesn't make him uniteresting. He is basically Ned 2.0.

Tyrion's arc, neither Dany's haven't ended at all.

Tyrion hasn't done a damn thing since the end of S4 that's been worth discussing. He joined with Dany and has basically been her helper since then. Dany hasn't had a meaningful change since she became confident throughout S1. Her arc has literally been about treading water for 5 straight seasons, all building to her FINALLY getting to Kings Landing. That could have been off screen, and all we would have missed were cool CGI dragon scenes and Dany walking through flames and shit.

As for Jon and the Starks, they are only as interesting as the obstacles they are up against. Arya less so, but with Jon and Sansa? Definitely. Not saying that makes them bad or boring characters though, that's just what their role is.

With how things normally go for the good guys in GoT, I'm half expecting the Night's King to be sitting on the Iron Throne by the end of it all.

wiibomb

I just heard that there are already leaks of the season, is that true? can anyone confirm?

just to know how far I should be from the internet as a whole

I just heard that there are already leaks of the season, is that true? can anyone confirm?

just to know how far I should be from the internet as a whole

There were leaks a while ago. Not sure if they turned out legit, but I wouldn't risk looking for it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

You know it baby. Strap in for that ride lol. I've been waiting for this since season 1.

Kalentan

Honestly Jon is interesting BECAUSE he is almost the stories sterotypical hero but more than that, the closest thing to a Hero that could win. Most Heroes in Westeros end up with a dagger in their back or gut. Jon already had a dagger in his gut and he keeps going.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What ? I was talking about the end of the final season. As in the White Walkers win the final battle.
He was saying that the middle of a story generally does have the good guys defeated/harmed/ at their lowest. Like Empire Strikes Back. It establishes the threat is real and pushes the drama up. The third act is the hero's win act.

axb2013

GRRM said on multiple occasions that GOT will have a bittersweet ending. While arguing the execution of ending a long running show/story is fine, I'm positive that after the finale there will be many tantrums where people, consumed by arrogance will claim that it shouldn't have ended that way, whichever way it may end.

D&D made mistakes, some pretty big but I do expect them to get the ending right. Dorne was a waste of precious screen time that could have been used on pieces of the story that felt rushed. Their knowledge of the books was tested and GRRM granted the rights because of it yet their stubborn refusal to do flashbacks (until they finally caved in the season 5 opener) is conflicting the way some crucial elements of the story are setup. To this day I still don't get how they refused to do Ned's dreams/memories as they were equally relevant as say, Daenerys visions in the house of the undying. I was sure they would go there because they were setting it up, when Arya trains with Syrio Forel focus was on Ned's face as they replaced the sound of wooden swords clashing with the sound of metal ones.

I admit that I did look up GRRM's eye color after Old Nan's line "the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue eyed giant" but I haven't had concerns about the ending since.

The Wall - Episode seven

I feel like Cersei and the Wall are fairly safe bets, while Yara and Petyr will probably die ebut it's difficult to nail down when. I could throw in Qyburn or the Mountain as my last pick, as I think it's likely they'll die with Cersei, but I kind of want to do something a little more out there. Anyone have any thoughts for my last pick/ current lineup?
Petyr will survive the show.
He is the only one i'm 100% confident about except the 3 targaryans.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The best part about introducing GoT to my brother this year was being able to rewatch the entire thing again.

molnizzle

One thing that I've been wondering about since the season 6 finale - has Cersei just given up on the appearance of having a legitimate claim to the throne? At her coronation they announced her "Cersei of the House Lannister." Shouldn't she still be a Baratheon by marriage?

HotHamBoy

Rewatching the last season in preperation.

Man, it really isn't that good on second viewing. At least, not the first half.

"Let's go murder them" is the worst line in the whole show.

Yep, I just got done re-watching it and it's a real drag sometimes with some pretty bad scenes. Ep 9 and 10 more than makes up for it though, as they are two of the best episodes in the series.

Volimar

That wasn't as jarring for me as just how easily swayed the citizens of the Iron Islands are.

HotHamBoy

That wasn't as jarring for me as just how easily swayed the citizens of the Iron Islands are.

I mean, that was definitely shit. Everything regarding the Iron Islands is shit. That line just encapsulates it so well. I have laughed out loud each time I've heard it.

In general, the show has really declined. The best moments in recent seasons have been payoffs for things established years ago.

I've seen Seasons 1-3 at least 3 times with different people and I've loved the hell out of it each time. The new seasons are so uneven and hackneyed. Of course, part of the problem is that a lot of the best characters are dead. Part of the problem is that storylines for surviving characters have stalled, or are just boring as fuck.

But a lot of it really just comes down to shitty writing.

I continue to watch because it is still interesting in the moment when things go down and I've invested this much into it. Season 7 has the potential to deliver a lot of payoff and action and the truncated schedule means less filler. I hope.

But I am fast-forwarding a lot of this Season 6 rewatch.

The Wall - Episode seven

Cersei Lannister - She's going to win the the game of thrones.
The Wall - Episode 7
Yara Greyjoy - Episode 5
Petyr Baelish - Episode 6

Future prediction
Danaerys Targareyan - Season 8 Episode 5
Jon Snow - Season 8 Episode 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom