• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

UrbanRats

That's how I took it too. Like Jamie and Dany at the loot train attack, Jon saw an opportunity to end the war quickly... then realized, unlike Jamie, that that plan sucked.

Though if Dany concentrated the three dragons' fire breath on the NK, things could've gone differently.

Honestly several of the issues could have been fixed if the director didn't do such a poor job. Episode was still great and hyperbole is running high, but this could of been (maybe should have been) top 3 in the entire series. Things he could have done better:
- Fighting was edgy, constant moving around. There was no clarity identifying what is happening. We got a much better example of how to handle that with two large armies 2 weeks ago, this was 6 guys vs one army. A big issue with this is that it didn't sell the sense of danger. You didn't feel how they could die which was ever present 2 eps ago or BOTB, or.. every big fucking battle in the series so far. The sense of dread and danger was missing primarily due to poor directing.
- Sell the idea that NK is laying a trap. The sell for wights is they run and they never stop. You do this, you feel more fear for NK as to question how clever he is instead of wondering why they let them chill for 4 days.
- Too many last moment "saves" which came off hacky as shit instead of feeling real, like something in Hardhoam when people are saved last minute and it felt genuine.
- LF doing a creepy "I'm watching you" just felt hacky as shit to me lol.. With a different directory, the entire Winterfell arc wouldn't have looked as sloppy as it looked.

For my take on never directing anything or ever working for a tv series, D&D fucked up hiring this director for this episode. This guy has no place to directing a tv series like this, esp an "episode 9". Better not see this dude's name for s8, though with some reviews I suspect it's not happening. It's not like everything he did was bad. Some amazing winter shots, banter convos were all great and fun to listen to. But this should have been a grander episode than it ended up happening.

rackham

Banned
Honestly the people on Gaf are a minority and a whining minority at that.

Even when Sansa said she hasn't seen Jon in weeks made me think of all the crying people did about not seeing Jon walk on the road for 20 episodes to get to Dany etc.

Surfinn

Honestly the people on Gaf are a minority and a whining minority at that.

Even when Sansa said she hasn't seen Jon in weeks made me think of all the crying people did about not seeing Jon walk on the road for 20 episodes to get to Dany etc.

Pretty much everywhere I look, it's getting praise and solid reviews. RT and IMDB and lots of reviews I've read all have generally very high marks for each episode

Protein

Banned
Was definitely a terrible episode. And normally I'm rarely hard on the show. The action was great though, but nothing will top Spoils of War so far.

The writing is what brought it down for me. I can forgive the fast travel at this point, but so much was contrived. Yes, I know own, Zombies and dragons. But come on.

Blader

For my take on never directing anything or ever working for a tv series, D&D fucked up hiring this director for this episode. This guy has no place to directing a tv series like this, esp an "episode 9".

Not sure if you're joking, but Alan Taylor directed a handful of episodes in seasons 1 and 2. In fact, he did the very first episode 9!

Was definitely a terrible episode. And normally I'm rarely hard on the show. The action was great though, but nothing will top Spoils of War so far.

I think Hardhome is still my favorite battle episode.

Betty

Banned
Sansa's "You could never survive what I went through" or however she put it, was total trash.

What did she go through that she had to get out of herself?

Throughout the entire story the only reason she survived was due to the actions of others, compared to Arya who's had to do plenty of awful things to get by.

Speaking of which... I really hope Arya is playing Littlefinger at his own game, because if she's really falling for this ploy... that's a character assassination basically.

Surfinn

Sansa's "You could never survive what I went through" or however she put it, was total trash.

Throughout the entire story the only reason she survived was due to the actions of others, compared to Arya who's had to do plenty of awful things to get by.

Speaking of which... I really hope Arya is playing Littlefinger at his own game, because if she's really falling for this ploy... that's a character assassination basically.

Sansa's been through an incredible amount of pain and torment. In all fairness, she's got NO IDEA what Arya has been doing. Though yeah, it's pretty presumptuous of her to assume Arya essentially wouldn't be able to handle it.

I agree with you about Sansa/LF though. She's regressing in her development if she blatantly falls for his ploy

jett

D-Member

If it was Arya in Sansa's place she probably would've gotten herself killed with her attitude.

Betty

Banned
ya didnt sansa get raped?

Okay, terrible for sure, like Surfinn says though it's presumptuous and I wish they'd actually just sit down and talk about what they went though, I meant it's been weeks and they haven't communicated or talked or anything?

Arya was one of my favourite characters but she comes off like a psychopath now.

If it was Arya in Sansa's place she probably would've gotten herself killed with her attitude.

And if Sansa was in Arya's place she would probably have been killed in general.

Surfinn

This is also probably true. Arya is fiercer/more reactive than Sansa

Okay, terrible for sure, like Surfinn says though it's presumptuous and I wish they'd actually just sit down and talk about what they went though, I meant it's been weeks and they haven't communicated or talked or anything?

Arya was one of my favourite characters but she comes off like a psychopath now.

Yeah I'm not totally on board with the menacing shit they're doing with Arya.

Though it makes sense to me that they don't talk much. They were never close and borderline hated each other

Protein

Banned
If anyone wants a good podcast analysis, Cast of Kings does it pretty well without grilling the show too much. For me the best battle scenes were:

1) Hardhome
2) Battle of Bastards
3) Spoils of War
4) Castle Black
5) Blackwater
6) Night King Lake
7) *Euron laughs*
8) A Dance with Drogon

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

She survived by surviving. she took Joffrey's bullshit for two seasons instead of lashing out and getting herself like Arya would have. She took Cersei and Tywin's bullshit and got married to Tyrion against her wishes. Arya wouldve ran away or refused and gotten herself executed.

Do you really think Arya would've survived Ramsey? she would've tried to kill him and gotten murdered or suffered a fate similar to Theon's.

Sansa was tortured by Joffrey, nearly raped and murdered by citizens of kings, nearly murdered by her own aunt, was raped and tortured by Ramsey and survived.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

How so? Arya hasn't shown any aptitude at plotting and scheming and Littlefinger is the uncontested GOAT at plotting and scheming.

She survived by surviving. she took Joffrey's bullshit for two seasons instead of lashing out and getting herself like Arya would have. She took Cersei and Tywin's bullshit and got married to Tyrion against her wishes. Arya wouldve ran away or refused and gotten herself executed.

Do you really think Arya would've survived Ramsey? she would've tried to kill him and gotten murdered or suffered a fate similar to Theon's.

Sansa was tortured by Joffrey, nearly raped and murdered by citizens of kings, nearly murdered by her own aunt, was raped and tortured by Ramsey and survived.

Pretty much. Arguably, had their positions been switched, Sansa would have skipped the whole Braavos adventure and gone straight to Jon at Castle Black. That would have created new issues of course.

Harmen

Pretty much everywhere I look, it's getting praise and solid reviews. RT and IMDB and lots of reviews I've read all have generally very high marks for each episode

I see a lot of praise and am glad people are enjoying it, but I thought this episode has the same pitfalls a lot of blockbusters have that get crucified for it. That said, it is not the end of the world or anything. I'll be tuning in next week with high anticipation nonetheless, but I thought this episode was very weak in key aspects GoT often excels at. Setpieces were of high quality without a doubt.

(My standards aren't even that GAF™, I like Jurassic World for example :p)

Surfinn

How so? Arya hasn't shown any aptitude at plotting and scheming and Littlefinger is the uncontested GOAT at plotting and scheming.

True, but I'd like to think Sansa has developed and honed her political skills and awareness to the point of being able to at least question and suspect Littlefinger. Literally everyone knows he can't be trusted, and she's been around long enough to come to this realization on her own

Timbuktu

Sansa's been through an incredible amount of pain and torment. In all fairness, she's got NO IDEA what Arya has been doing. Though yeah, it's pretty presumptuous of her to assume Arya essentially wouldn't be able to handle it.

I agree with you about Sansa/LF though. She's regressing in her development if she blatantly falls for his ploy

I don't think the show is stupid enough to do that, mainly because of the dagger/knife. There is quite a lot of focus on it again this episode. There must be a purpose of it going from LF to Bran to Arya and now to Sansa in this way. That's the level that the show works now, I think. Otherwise thing they are doing with the knife makes now sense.

Sending Brienne away also doesn't make sense unless Sanda is up to something, i don't think it's exactly what LF was pushing for her to do.

Betty

Banned

No aptitude at plotting or scheming, except killing the Frey's and learning how to be a trained assassin who can work undercover, i'd say that requires some plotting and scheming.

Even if that were true, I'm not the only one who hates how things are being handled at Winterfell, it's completely dumb writing and it doesn't feel like something Arya would fall for.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If anyone wants a good podcast analysis, Cast of Kings does it pretty well without grilling the show too much. For me the best battle scenes were:

1) Hardhome
2) Battle of Bastards
3) Spoils of War
4) Castle Black
5) Blackwater
6) Night King Lake
7) *Euron laughs*
8) A Dance with Drogon
I used to listen to them but had to stop in season 6, it pretty much became an hour of two people shitting on the show.

Tieno

I think Sansa and Arya are together playing Littlefinger, evidenced by Arya giving her dagger (given by Littlefinger to Bran) to Sansa.

jviggy43

Wow. On behalf of all of HBO, the world and common decency in the citizens of Earth, let me apologize to Neogaf. What a ridiculously stupid episode. It CLEARLY should have been spread out across 10 seasons with bonus material only found online. I cannot believe these assholes at HBO thought they could get away with giving us an episode like this.

Episode was pretty great morans.
Did you just misspell morons?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No aptitude at plotting or scheming, except killing the Frey's and learning how to be a trained assassin who can work undercover.

I'm not the only one who hates how things are being handled at Winterfell, it's completely dumb writing and it doesn't feel like something Arya would fall for.

That's not plotting and scheming. That's killing someone and using their face to poison their family. There's a huge gap between what LF has done (manipulate events, have his enemies kill each other, and put himself in a position to potentially take the Iron Throne) and what Arya has been shown to be capable of.

Arya hasn't been shown to be able to play on his level. If she had gotten the Freys to kill each other with nothing more than a few well placed words then that would be on LF's level.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think Sansa and Arya are together playing Littlefinger, evidenced by Arya giving her dagger (given by Littlefinger to Bran) to Sansa.
When I watched that, it felt like it was a power play by Arya. She walks towards to dagger and then picks it up to show Sansa no longer has a weapon to defend herself but then Arya just hands it to her so she knows she doesn't need a dagger to kill her.
But why were they arguing about it alone together if they're playing him? Genuinely asking
And why would she send Brie away? I don't think this is a plan to fuck LF either.

M.J. Doja

Banned
No aptitude at plotting or scheming, except killing the Frey's and learning how to be a trained assassin who can work undercover, i'd say that requires some plotting and scheming.

Even if that were true, I'm not the only one who hates how things are being handled at Winterfell, it's completely dumb writing and it doesn't feel like something Arya would fall for.

Arya is a kid, she's trained in one form of deception. LF can size up Arya as a vengeful assassin, and devise a scheme to have her play into his wishes. All Arya can do is wear somebody's face and ambush/kill LF outright. Not much cunning, but I imagine that working out.

Atomic Odin

And the reverse would have happened even quicker. Sansa wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes before Tywin, on the road, escaping Winterfell after red wedding etc etc.

What has Sansa accomplished living so long till season 6 anyway? Almost everything that she suffered was because of her own choices & decisions. Arya wouldn't have been stupid enough to trust LF and go live with the boltons, Or lie to Royce & co. I mean they both had their fair chances to escape King's landing, guess who took it?

jett

D-Member
And if Sansa was in Arya's place she would probably have been killed in general.

I was going to mention it myself. It doesn't contradict what Sansa said.

I mean they both had their fair chances to escape King's landing, guess who took it?

What are you talking about? Arya was smuggled out of the city by a man from the Watch, she didn't escape on her own. Sansa was the Lannisters' prisoner.

Tieno

But why were they arguing about it alone together if they're playing him? Genuinely asking
A reason might be because they sense Littlefinger is watching them and they're putting on a show and "acting out" Littlefinger's plan. In one of the earlier episodes we see Arya and Littlefinger both keeping an eye on each other.

Sansa and Arya also have Bran, who's in on Littlefinger ("chaos is a ladder"). Littlefinger gave his dagger to Bran, who gave it to Arya, who now has given it to Sansa.

Ydelnae

The way I understood the episode (and this season), Sansa knows that Littlefinger is going to stab her back sooner or later and when LF told Sansa that Brienne would be there to protect both her and Arya, she sent Brienne away knowing the risk she was being exposed to. She didn't know how Arya would react after finding the letter and she decided to trust by sending Brienne away, basically saying that she believes that Arya would not make her any harm.

But now Sansa knows that Arya is on her side too.

I'm hoping Arya is not as stupid as is being portrayed in the show, I wonder if those faces that Sansa found will turn out to be people Littlefinger has been using as informants.

Maybe Sansa is in on it as well, and the arguing is just a ruse for any little birds LF may have in Winterfell.

Moff

I thought Hound was doing his own thing with Beric? Transporting the WW was Jon and Jorah's mission.

the only thing that is certain is that Sandor is no longer with Beric.
Beric says they will meet again and Sandor says "I fucking hope not". I am not sure it was clear who of the two would be off with Jon to Kings Landing.

M.J. Doja

Banned
A reason might be because they sense Littlefinger is watching them and they're putting on a show and "acting out" Littlefinger's plan. In one of the earlier episodes we see Arya and Littlefinger both keeping an eye on each other.
Pretty sure they are not ever aware of when LF is listening. It's implied that the Arya and Sansa are one step behind Littlefinger, at least.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The way I understood the episode (and this season), Sansa knows that Littlefinger is going to stab her back sooner or later and when LF told Sansa that Brienne would be there to protect both her and Arya, she sent Brienne away knowing the risk she was being exposed to. She didn't know how Arya would react after finding the letter and she decided to trust by sending Brienne away, basically saying that she believes that Arya would not make her any harm.

This is how I read that.

But now Sansa knows that Arya is on her side too.

This I'm not so sure of.

How on Earth was their plan supposed to work? All they know about the white walkers and the army of the dead is that they seem to stick together, and they don't need food or sleep like a traditional army. So how were they expecting to isolate a single zombie, who don't go out on their own, and take it without alerting the ENTIRE ARMY OF THE DEAD who would be in the immediate vicinity? It's the most bone-headed plot anyone on the show has come up with, to the point that you can't believe anyone would think it would work. That piece was just about the most garbage thing the show has done.

That aside, it was a great episode.

Oxn

How on Earth was their plan supposed to work? All they know about the white walkers and the army of the dead is that they seem to stick together, and they don't need food or sleep like a traditional army. So how were they expecting to isolate a single zombie, who don't go out on their own, and take it without alerting the ENTIRE ARMY OF THE DEAD who would be in the immediate vicinity? It's the most bone-headed plot anyone on the show has come up with, to the point that you can't believe anyone would think it would work. That piece was just about the most garbage thing the show has done.

That aside, it was a great episode.

Yep so dumb. I wonder if George is gonna write it a little differently.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Jon: Dany! Thank you for coming! Aim all your three dragons on that dude with the spiky head surrounded by dudes on horses!
Dany: What? Damnit I haven't learned Focus Attack yet!
Jon: ..........doh.

Really?

untitled-401.gif

Together with three dragons, Dany concentrated all her firepower on fucking up one ship. She could have done it, but I am almost certain it would have required her to engage with Drogon and the other two would follow. I don't if she could direct Rhaegal and Visarion to do things on their own like that.

Speaking of those two dragons. They followed her North, yet they didn't follow her to the Loot Train Battle. Did she have a "sit" command or something lol?

OrionX

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like Arya has pushed Sansa away for good. She's given Sansa more than enough reason to fear her now. I didn't see Arya handing her the dagger as a show of trust, and I don't think Sansa did either. That whole scene felt like one giant threat. "I know you want to be Queen. If you even think about betraying Jon, I could easily kill you and take your place."

Couple that with Bran staring at trees in the backyard and Jon being gone too long seducing dragon queen's, and I think Sansa will begin to feel like she no longer has a family, pushing her closer to siding with Littlefinger, who keeps promising to give her more power. And after feeling weak and helpless for so long, I think Sansa wants as much power as she can get.

prudislav

The episode had great spectacle, but once you start thinking about what actually transpired you realize how stupid it is.

i dont know apart from each scene not having little box in every scene with GPS location, exact date and time and summary of all the people on the scene. And to be sure on every line ... possible reference points to pevious episodes .... i was able to suspend my believe petty fine for it to make sense .... and gladly there was not traveling montage which is what fucked the books for me

Croc

Banned
My only concern with the whole Winterfell plotline is I feel like what's gonna happen is it was exactly LF's objective to get Sansa to send Brienne away. Like even though she thinks she's pulling a fast one on him that's exactly what he was wanting.

Top Bottom