• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

HMD

Sansa is the true ruler of Westeros, all 7 kingdoms will bow down to our queen.

d199eef62042ea036ff358197ab5e700--game-of-thrones-art-sansa-stark.jpg

I felt the this episode should have been split across two. Needed more room to breath.

Teleportation fuckeries continues and was at it's worst in this episode.

The winterfell plotline is terrible, purely shite. It was even more frustrating as it kept interjecting into a compelling narrative up north.

Dany was lame as hell at the start in her conversation with tyrion. Her best scenes are definitely with jorah imho, when she was standing atop the wall waiting for the dragon to return - got me in mah feels. Jon x Dany continues to be forced as hell, the ending was the first scene where there felt like there was a spark between the two.

Weak episode for me, overall despite some cool moments. Falls flat compared to 'episode 9s' from previous seasons. Far behind blackwater, the attack on the wall, red wedding, hardhome (though it was episode 8).

Edit - As the show if disregarding logic I wish Dany came through with dothraki north of the wall. Fuck it.

Edit 2 - Theres some greenseeing stuff going on with the nights king for sure. The guy was stood there with spears ready for the dragons. He could have thrown them at the fanservice 7 in their sleep had he wanted to kill any of them. He had the chain ready and all. They were better off not going north at all, stupid fucking plan. The image of the crew waiting in the middle of the lake as the NK stares them down for days waiting for Dany is funny. Also bringing back benjen for all of 5 seconds to just kill him off to avoid explaining his backstory annoyed me too. Guy had plenty of time to get on the horse with Jon, as Jon could have easily hopped on the dragon.

NolbertoS

How could Bran be the NK if Bran is alive right now?

Its called the twin paradox theory where 2 people can exist within the same time frame. Of course physics state as potentially feasible but nobody has ever proven it. Lets just go with the GOT fantasy physics instead :p

Acyl

Its called the twin paradox theory where 2 people can exist within the same time frame. Of course physics state as potentially feasible but nobody has ever proven it. Lets just go with the GOT fantasy physics instead :p

Ok haha. I've seen some of the theories behind this Bran=NK thing. Why would Bran follow himself with ravens, and why would NK immediately kick those ravens out of warging? I mean it was to stop Bran from seeing his position.

Mobius 1

- The time compression is doing a great disservice to the show.
- Uncle Benjen showing up like he did wasn't great, too convenient.
- Winterfell storyline better have a great payoff, it's not working so well.

Otherwise, what a treat. It's absurd how high the production values have been. I thought Jon Snow was dead for a second there. I thought Tormund had eaten it too, particularly after his expression of love about Brienne. Beric and Thoros lighting swords. The slow build up of the Night King's attack and uncertainty if he was going to spear Jon, Danaerys or a dragon.

This is going to leave a void hard to fill.

Ok haha. I've seen some of the theories behind this Bran=NK thing. Why would Bran follow himself with ravens, and why would NK immediately kick those ravens out of warging? I mean it was to stop Bran from seeing his position.

Maybe because current Bran isn't full evil yet, and NK knows that his old self still wants to stop this terror in the North, because he doesn't yet realize whatever "turning point event"™ will happen.

I was originally a Bran=NK skeptic, but it's starting to actually make some sense to me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
While I enjoyed the episode, couldn't Dany have just flown north on a dragon, snatched up a wight in drogons claws and flown back. Seems like she could have done it in a couple of days at most.

pablito

I don't like them either, but before killing plotlines just kill the people and be done with it.
Everything else feels untold..

Cersei isn't just going to kill Ellaria though. She's going to have her tortured, which is something I don't need to see myself. They could have shown Tyene dying, I suppose, but I don't mind that they didn't. I liked the way they did that one.

While I enjoyed the episode, couldn't Dany have just flown north on a dragon, snatched up a wight in drogons claws and flown back. Seems like she could have done it in a couple of days at most.

Probably thought there was too much risk involved in sending the friggin' Queen and top weapon up to unknown territory against an unknown enemy with unknown forms of attack?

Full evil?

Bran isn't even remotely evil, he's one of the least evil characters on the show! lol
Seems like he's already losing his human component at a gradual rate. He's becoming less and less emotional. His sense of empathy is almost all but lost at this point.

rudger

My wife and I traded anxiety while watching this episode. She kept wanting to look away at the zombie fighting...and I didn't want to see Sansa and Arya fighting. You're sisters for fucks sake! Why are you fighting over stupid obvious shit?!

People always bring up the first episode of the show as a example of bad portrayal of time. Yet we have them receive notice of the king coming, we are told that they traveled for 30 days and we have the visual image of the direwolves growing considerably from puppies and Cat saying 'they grow so fast'.

The time portrayal this season has been poor, no matter how you put it. Im not asking for scenes showing travel but in this episode it was stupid as hell. It seemed they'd been travelling for a while as they reached the lands of always winter (what i perceived it as atleast) where the nights king was first transformed. Then Gendry managed to run back to the wall and send for a raven to Dany. Dany managed to fly back just in the nick of time as the fighting started. Stupid as hell man.

pringles

You're sisters for fucks sake! Why are you fighting over stupid obvious shit?!
...because they're sisters.

People always bring up the first episode of the show as a example of bad portrayal of time. Yet we have them receive notice of the king coming, we are told that they traveled for 30 days and we have the visual image of the direwolves growing considerably from puppies and Cat saying 'they grow so fast'.

The time portrayal this season has been poor, no matter how you put it. Im not asking for scenes showing travel but in this episode it was stupid as hell. It seemed they'd been travelling for a while as they reached the lands of always winter (what i perceived it as atleast) where the nights king was first transformed. Then Gendry managed to run back to the wall and send for a raven to Dany. Dany managed to fly back just in the nick of time as the fighting started. Stupid as hell man.
One person running with no gear or weapons will move a shit-ton faster than a group of people carring supplies and heavy swords and hammers. Dragons travel a shit-ton faster than boats and people on foot.
None of it seemed unreasonable to me.

Bran = Night King is the dumbest fan theory in the history of fan theories. And the best "proof" is a gif showing them wearing outfits that are shaped similarly but otherwise not alike at all?

Just no.

pablito

My wife and I traded anxiety while watching this episode. She kept wanting to look away at the zombie fighting...and I didn't want to see Sansa and Arya fighting. You're sisters for fucks sake! Why are you fighting over stupid obvious shit?!

Relax this is just according to keikaku.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Probably thought there was too much risk involved in sending the friggin' Queen and top weapon up to unknown territory against an unknown enemy with unknown forms of attack?
So
- important mission that could save the entire continent of Westeros = too risky
- Jon in danger = fuck it lets go

GTI Guy

What additional details do you even need? Besides learning more about motives, I guess, which is probably coming up?

Well anything additional would be interesting. Do we know if the baby is a character we've seen since it was turned? I don't recall if the baby being turned was done a long time ago or if it was more recent. Was that how the NK got his main buddies, like the guy who handed him the spear?

Bran = Night King is the dumbest fan theory in the history of fan theories. And the best "proof" is a gif showing them wearing outfits that are shaped similarly but otherwise not alike at all?

Just no.

I dunno, maybe it's just part of me that wants to believe there's more to the Night King than simply a single-minded villain that wants to lay waste to everything. It'd be nice to have more complexity to it, given how layered this show likes to make its characters.

Seems like he's already losing his human component at a gradual rate. He's becoming less and less emotional. His sense of empathy is almost all but lost at this point.

You said he isn't full evil yet though.

Show me one example of him being evil AT ALL...

Not having empathy, not having emotion, that's not being evil. That's separating yourself from humans who make many many mistakes based on emotions, see Jon, Sansa, Oberyn etc etc. and by doing so it's preparing for a war against someone who also lacks that empathy and emotion. Fire with fire.

One thing I wonder is why did it take them 8000 years to come back.

It's pretty clear at some point all the magic is connected.

Dragons suddenly back.
Direwolves and warging suddenly south of the wall.
Wights/WW etc
Red Priests going from useless tricksters to literally resurrecting people and having shadow assassin babys using King's blood.

2 years before episode 1 none of this was going on, either magic is cyclical like seasons or one thing caused the others to also be possible. (I don't expect this to be addressed even slightly in the show).

KevinRo

I was driving home from work, maybe it was to work, and I had a realization.

Man, the biggest ROMANCE the storyline has and the authors FUCKED IT. I have so much vested into Dany and John and they just fucking fucked up their romance. They just FUCKED IT. I'm so angry. There should be an entire goddamn season devoted to this and they are rushing everything. So angry.

I dunno, maybe it's just part of me that wants to believe there's more to the Night King than simply a single-minded villain that wants to lay waste to everything. It'd be nice to have more complexity to it, given how layered this show likes to make its characters.

Do you forget why he was created? To destroy man.

It is his ONLY purpose.

Not everything nor do every characters need to have layers upon layers. It's okay for this to be that simple, he is the bringer of death. Death in itself can be pretty layered if you want it to be.

Man, the biggest ROMANCE the storyline has and the authors FUCKED IT. I have so much vested into Dany and John and they just fucking fucked up their romance. They just FUCKED IT. I'm so angry. There should be an entire goddamn season devoted to this and they are rushing everything. So angry.

May I ask why you think they've botched it?

pringles

There's an entire season left. But it's been great imo. Honestly a bit too good, I wasn't on the Dany/Jon train earlier, but they have enough chemistry that it's kinda redeeming Dany for me. I get that it's a bit unrealistic that they haven't banged already, but they're taking their time with it which is fine.

Grendy has been rowing for years. He has the stamina to run that far.

Honey Bunny

Dragons getting there just in time, Jon surviving the ice lake and then Uncle whatever getting there just in time.. yeh it was one beat too many. If they hadn't shortened the episode count they wouldn't need to do this. They wouldn't have needed to send a raven and get rescued in the same episode and Jon could've stumbled his way back to the wall on foot.

Dragons getting there just in time, Jon surviving the ice lake and then Uncle whatever getting there just in time.. yeh it was one beat too many.
Yeah. They needed to cut one of those out. It would have been much better if the 2nd dragon came down and picked up Jon. More natural then Benjen coming again.

Pillville

Yea we are all pissed there was no time for this romance either, right?

will-smith-janet-hubert-zoom-be090497-4f97-4165-a2fa-a76cefec5219.jpg

pringles

Yeah. They needed to cut one of those out. It would have been much better if the 2nd dragon came down and picked up Jon. More natural then Benjen coming again.
Personally I would have been pissed if Benjen just sat around twiddling his thumbs while this massive battle is taking place beyond the wall. You have to figure he was watching the events unfold and was ready to step in when the moment was right. Dany risking another dragon to pick up loverboy who she has no idea was even alive after falling into the water would be ridiculous.

Grendy has been rowing for years. He has the stamina to run that far.

This is now my head cannon

...because they're sisters.

One person running with no gear or weapons will move a shit-ton faster than a group of people carring supplies and heavy swords and hammers. Dragons travel a shit-ton faster than boats and people on foot.
None of it seemed unreasonable to me.

Really? None of it unreasonable. The guy sprints back to the wall, the unseen mountainous terrain seems to be a helluva far way away from the wall. Going by the pacing of this season and jumps in time its natural to assume the squad have travelled for some time and he was able to SPRINT this distance. That's some demigodly feat. He also ran in the direction from which the wrights came. They sent a raven to dany, which would have taken DAYS, who was then able to fly back, which should also have taken a while, and save them JUST in time. It's contrived as hell. They've definitely shrunk down westeros to the size of the United kingdom this season.

Heck dany happened to know EXACTLY where to find them? Was she given bearings and coordinates? How? Idk man, there's some leaps in logic for this to not be unreasonable.

Edit- sending Gendry was also stupid. The guy who's never been north, never seen the wall and doesn't know the terrain? Send one of the wildlings.

There's an entire season left. But it's been great imo. Honestly a bit too good, I wasn't on the Dany/Jon train earlier, but they have enough chemistry that it's kinda redeeming Dany for me. I get that it's a bit unrealistic that they haven't banged already, but they're taking their time with it which is fine.
Dany is actually emoting this season which is besides her one or two looks she had for the first few seasons. She's laughing, crying and showing vulnerability. I'm liking this season's Dany quite a lot. And yeah she and Jon look and sound quite natural together.

But there's no whole season left. Last season has only 6 episodes, so half season at best. And then there's a dozen plots to resolve: KL, Winterfell, Jon's parentage, Euron/Yara/Theon, NK/Bran, etc. There just isnt time left to create relationships on the show.
Heck dany happened to know EXACTLY where to find them? Was she given bearings and coordinates? How? Idk man, there's some leaps in logic for this to not be unreasonable.
I had this complaint initially but it's not that tough to give their location. North of eastwatch, etc. The giant army shouldn't be hard to miss.

Acyl

Maybe because current Bran isn't full evil yet, and NK knows that his old self still wants to stop this terror in the North, because he doesn't yet realize whatever "turning point event"™ will happen.

I was originally a Bran=NK skeptic, but it's starting to actually make some sense to me.

Yeah idk. The NK wants to kill the three-eyed raven and children of the forest, and well, everyone. That's why after they marked Bran they stormed the cave and tried to kill them all. Why would the NK kill himself?? The three-eyed raven (now Bran) is probably their best defense against the NK, and Bran is the reason they know the dead are marching to Eastwatch.

Plus, I don't think the show will reveal any of these magical details. We've had dragons born from inert eggs from season 1 still remain unexplained, and why is Dany so special she doesn't burn? You know the NK doesn't burn either. Are they the same?

pablito

Personally I would have been pissed if Benjen just sat around twiddling his thumbs while this massive battle is taking place beyond the wall. You have to figure he was watching the events unfold and was ready to step in when the moment was right. Dany risking another dragon to pick up loverboy who she has no idea was even alive after falling into the water would be ridiculous.

If a dragon went back I'd like it to be the dragon going on its own. Would further establish that connection Drogon felt with Jon.

Top Bottom