• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

giphy.webp

Now that I'm not salty about it, I might as well accept the incest.
What's done is done.

RDreamer

I can't believe Jon and Dany got to banging already but there wasn't any sort of scene whatsoever with Dany meeting Ghost. It seems weird to completely miss that connection that they both have these mythological creatures as pets.

Maybe they meet next year, sniff butts, etc.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I can't believe Jon and Dany got to banging already but there wasn't any sort of scene whatsoever with Dany meeting Ghost. It seems weird to completely miss that connection that they both have these mythological creatures as pets.

Well, he's back at Winterfell catching up on some Netflix shows. I'm sure we will get some scenes with him in season 8.

My heart says we'll see Ghost at Winterfell and they'll have a sweet scene.
My mind says the next time we see Ghost will be his death.

This is why he has a great arse.

Vectorman

Banned
Anyone else think the finale completely redeemed Bran? It made clear that he cannot see everything at once, but has to do selective research. Littlefinger gave him the dagger a few episodes ago, and he already knew about his "chaos is a ladder" line. That means he actively was researching what happened to his father in King's Landing. Flash forward to the finale, and he helps his sisters out Littlefinger as the criminal he is in addition to finding out about his brother's birth parents, just for his sake. Bran's humanity was never gone, just took on a different form. He did all he could to help his family in his own way. I'm pretty pleased with him.

Idk. He treated Meera like shit when she left. He still needs to fix that. He was more friendlier to Sam than the girl who had been protecting him for years at that point. Telling that shit to Sansa was nuts too lol. I still love him for the memes that we got from it.
i-put-jaden-smith-tweets-on-bran-stark-and-it-26637378.png

Dire wolves aren't really mythological creatures, they're just big wolves.

They're actually an extinct real-world species.

I hope the theory that Danny is infertile due to inbreeding is true.

It'd be hilarious given the events of the finale and the handwaving that the shippers are doing.

Ithil

Why's the Dany thing a wink at the audience? It's just a shorter version of her name that a friend would use, it showed us that Jon considered her a friend and not just a queen that he had to make sure he called her by her full name, dude dropped the sama and gave her a chan. It's not like hardcore fans called her Dany before her own brother.

I did listen to an interview where GRRM talked about doing a timeskip at some point but then abandoned that idea. I wonder if this is why Rickon was so young, so one day he would be a full fledged Stark that was actually able to do things besides go off-screen and then die.

A single person has ever called her "Dany", and it was her brother Viserys. The only reason viewers call her Dany is because they usually misspell her full name.

I hope the theory that Danny is infertile due to inbreeding is true.

It'd be hilarious given the events of the finale and the handwaving that the shippers are doing.

She was pregnant in season 1.

Her infertility (supossed) is a result of the witch from season 1. Though I'm not sure she actually tells Dany she's infertile in the show.

Einchy

A single person has ever called her "Dany", and it was her brother Viserys. The only reason viewers call her Dany is because they usually misspell her full name.

But how is Dany any different than calling Eddard Ned or Brandon Bran? It's just a shortening of someone's name, something that sometimes you do when you're familiar with someone, which that scene showed us that Jon had become very friendly with Daenerys, enough to call her Dany. Fans don't have a monopoly on shortening names, especially when Dany has been canonical since the first episode.

The only other character who called her Dany was her abusive older brother. Don't know why D&D thought Jon using it was cute. Man I'm still salty about that lame as romance.

JonxGendry is my head cannon.

wandering

Banned
But how is Dany any different than calling Eddard Ned or Brandon Bran? It's just a shortening of someone's name, something that sometimes you do when you're familiar with someone, which that scene showed us that Jon had become very friendly with Daenerys, enough to call her Dany. Fans don't have a monopoly on shortening names, especially when Dany has been canonical since the first episode.

It didn't feel natural to me. Sure, they got closer, but close enough to start calling each other pet names? Eh.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm also starting to become okay with the idea of the Night King winning if the message of the story is that politics are ultimately bad

wouldn't mind him atleast knocking off all the terminally dull superfriends up north and leaving bronn to nob cersei for eternity.

jamie was the last character left with a decent bit of conflict in his narrative and even he's fucked off to pal it up with the do-gooders.

Betty

Banned
wouldn't mind him atleast knocking off all the terminally dull superfriends up north and leaving bronn to nob cersei for eternity.

jamie was the last character left with a decent bit of conflict in his narrative and even he's fucked off to pal it up with the do-gooders.

And i'm sure when Bran reveals that Jamie knocked him out of the tower that won't cause any drama /s

And there's a reason why Bronn and Cersei will never share a scene, the actual actors were once married or at least a couple and it didn't end well.

Einchy

It didn't feel natural to me. Sure, they got closer, but close enough to start calling each other pet names? Eh.

I think a pet name implies that it's not actually her name but something completely different, it's not like he called her baby or something, it's just her name. Also, I think by then their chemistry and romanced had been well established.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
And there's a reason why Bronn and Cersei will never share a scene, the actual actors were once married or at least a couple and it didn't end well.

could add some much needed spice into the whole trundling dull procession.

quite enjoying arya's impression of richie from bottom when he's trying to chat up a posh bird though.

Ah, yes, forcing (one of) the major female character(s) to stay at home because of pregnancy while the man has epic heroic moment(s). That will go over well.
So... you're saying it will happen then.

I mean this is the show that framed a rape around a man's reaction to watching it and using it to motivate him to action. And then weirdly referenced that same scene with Braneus ex machina to show how weird he is now.

Einchy

Oh shit you're right. Even Dany forgot about her.

Edit: And I guess Dorne doesn't exist now? There are still a bunch of soldiers down there waiting for a war.

I bet there's a bunch of infighting happening in Dorne as they figure out who to follow. Those dudes are thirsty af for a war.

Going to need that BD so I can listen to the beginning of the Dothraki charge on my surround sound blasting to floor shaking volumes and watching in glorious 4k.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oh shit you're right. Even Dany forgot about her.

Edit: And I guess Dorne doesn't exist now? There are still a bunch of soldiers down there waiting for a war.

Does Dany even know that Ellaria is a prisoner of Cersei's? Varys initially tells Dany that Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are presumed dead or missing. Varys is some weak sauce Master of Whispers if he doesn't know of a very public event that was the talk of the town in KL.

So looks like there was a deleted scene between Bran and Sansa for the finale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...right-on-deleted-scene-between-bran-and-sansa

It's stuff like this that S7 needed. Dont understand why D&D decided not to add little scenes like this and make the season a bit longer.
That is crap they didn't add this. It really makes a lot of that conflict and episode more sensible. They probably cut it for the sake of the twist, which wasn't a twist at all, so why not leave the scene?

So I was clicking around Youtube and found this clip, which I think may have a bit of foreshadowing given the new information we got in the finale. The beginning of this conversation in particular. The thing that I think gives the most credence to the possibility that this was foreshadowing is who the conversation is taking place between.

https://youtu.be/75PU7E1z5w0

Apologies if this has already been pointed out.

FiggyCal

Banned
Does Dany even know that Ellaria is a prisoner of Cersei's? Varys initially tells Dany that Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are presumed dead or missing. Varys is some weak sauce Master of Whispers if he doesn't know of a very public event that was the talk of the town in KL.

Oh good point.

I think the intention was for Ellaria to be considered dead. They didn't really do a great job of explaining it, but yea. I don't think we will ever see her again.

Hydrus

So I was clicking around Youtube and found this clip, which I think may have a bit of foreshadowing given the new information we got in the finale. The beginning of this conversation in particular. The thing that I think gives the most credence to the possibility that this was foreshadowing is who the conversation is taking place between.

https://youtu.be/75PU7E1z5w0

Apologies if this has already been pointed out.

The foreshadowing vibe I get from this is Jon gives up fighting a battle or his title as king to save Dany or something along those lines.

I think the intention was for Ellaria to be considered dead. They didn't really do a great job of explaining it, but yea. I don't think we will ever see her again.

Yeah, I mean I know people are sick of hearing about Travel Time(tm), but she's been in the dungeon staring at her daughter's corpse for at least as long as it takes Brienne to ride from Winterfell to King's Landing in wintry conditions.

If she ain't dead, she's going to be so horribly broken and deranged that... well, I don't know, given her "normal" behavior I guess she might actually be a decent character for once?

The foreshadowing vibe I get from this is Jon gives up fighting a battle or his title as king to save Dany or something along those lines.

That would seem to be the message.

However Jon's history of choices has seen him choose the "right" thing even to his and his allies detriment up to now. Even when it cost him his own life.

It definitely has me thinking about the possible implications though. Especially given the discussion around Tyrion's reaction to Jon and Dany's... ehem union... on the boat. So far the discussion has mainly been focused on Dany getting distracted/losing focus but perhaps she's not the one that ends up having a tough choice on her hands.

Khansolo1

Man, I'm starting to hate Rhaegar/Lyana more and more. Eloping together, causing this big ass war. And I hate Rhaegar more because of him eloping caused The death of his wife and kids .

Man, I'm starting to hate Rhaegar/Lyana more and more. Eloping together, causing this big ass war. And I hate Rhaegar more because of him eloping caused The death of his wife and kids .

Eh.. The Mad King was insane and it was only a matter of time before the realm rose up against him.

Zolo

Don't forget by annulling the marriage he disinherited her children

Even worse when you think that Dorne must have fought on the side of the Targaryans during Robert's rebellion. They would have fought for Elia and her kids while they were getting disinherited.

Khansolo1

Don't forget by annulling the marriage he disinherited her children
Right, I mean why in the blue hell did he have to marry Elia martell? He should've just married lyanna or he should've told Rickon Stark "yo man, your daughter is the bomb man. Also I need to knock yo daughter up, so our son could fight the white people, from up north"

Hydrus

Well look at it this way, they were both forced to marry people they didn't love for political reasons. They chose to run away and be with each other. It's fucked up what happened to the kids. Mad King was gonna get over thrown anyway.

Hydrus

She's decomposed into a skeleton by now. Starved to death.

Hey, you never know. Maybe she's still alive and someone helps her escape. She goes back to dorne and sends the army to go fuck up Cersie and her forces, saving Jon and friends last minute. The big surprise moment to end the series.
99% shes dead. But maybe Dorne comes thru in the end.

jfkgoblue

Why's the Dany thing a wink at the audience? It's just a shorter version of her name that a friend would use, it showed us that Jon considered her a friend and not just a queen that he had to make sure he called her by her full name, dude dropped the sama and gave her a chan. It's not like hardcore fans called her Dany before her own brother.

I did listen to an interview where GRRM talked about doing a timeskip at some point but then abandoned that idea. I wonder if this is why Rickon was so young, so one day he would be a full fledged Stark that was actually able to do things besides go off-screen and then die.
It's fan service for book readers only tbh. There is no logical way that Jon would know that her nickname was Dany besides a guess, but he said as if he knew it was her nickname.

Top Bottom