• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

This catching a zombie plan is so incredibly stupid. Its obviously just an excuse to have these characters fight zombies for the finale. Why not just pick one up and drop it off at King's Landing with one of the two dragons that have been doing nothing all season?

Also, Tyrion should know his sister well enough that she would use every opportunity available to screw her enemies over, including the wights.

Volimar

It may not be a perfect plan, but hell not even the maesters of the citadel believe they're a threat. If they do succeed in bringing one south, it needs to go on tour to every kingdom.

Griss

This catching a zombie plan is so incredibly stupid. Its obviously just an excuse to have these characters fight zombies for the finale. Why not just pick one up and drop it off at King's Landing with one of the two dragons that have been doing nothing all season?

Also, Tyrion should know his sister well enough that she would use every opportunity available to screw her enemies over, including the wights.

Yeah, this is my problem with it. It's so blatant.

Seeing as everyone can warp everywhere these days, why not just get Cersei to send Jaime or someone else under a truce/armistice/what have you and take a peek over the wall himself? He'd come back and be like 'Yes, things are fucked out there'. And Cersei would do nothing, but she's not going to do fuck all when she sees the wight anyway.

It's not like these wights just roam around on their own, either. They're pretty much sending a tiny group of men to fight the entire apocalyptic army.

Of course, with all the warping going on, I wouldn't be surprised if any of these people just magically showed up during the fight beyond the wall:
-Euron (using magical icebreakers on his ships)
-The Lannister army
-Dany and her dragons
-Sansa leading the forces of winterfell

I mean, why not right? The season has just been putting the pieces wherever it feels they'll cause most drama with no regard for scale or scope of movement anyway.

effzee

Are they trying to capture just a wight or a full blown white walker? I dont see how the latter is possible.

I guess it's either or. They don't really get to pick.

They should have just had Jon, Davos, and Gendry leave and told Danny we don't care what you do but we need to go to East Watch based on Brann's vision. They didn't need this to be a plan or the plan. They could have just brought back whatever they capture to Cersei.

tumblr_oda9n0eGji1tk337do1_400.gif

:[

Because Danny isn't going to bring her dragons up north for something she still doesn't really believe in.

I don't think it's all that unreasonable of a plan as a whole, but obviously the logistical implications get bogged down when the plan is the equivalent of running into London during 28 Days Later and trying to grab a single infected from a mob of them.

The smarter plan, which would be gritty, fucked up, and Game of Thrones as fuck, would be for them to convince Dany to go wipe out King's Landing completely so they could focus on White Walkers without fear of getting pincered.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Because Danny isn't going to bring her dragons up north for something she still doesn't really believe in.

I don't think it's all that unreasonable of a plan as a whole, but obviously the logistical implications get bogged down when the plan is the equivalent of running into London during 28 Days Later and trying to grab a single infected from a mob of them.

I doubt that's it. It's more that Dany won't bring her armies North while Cersei is still at war with her in the south. They need to get Cersei to agree to a truce.

Elandyll

Banned

I don't think Dany really believes him quite yet though, but more importantly she is tracing a line in the sand about outright helping him until he Ben D. Nee.

This is all a test, both from Dany and Cercei/ Jamie (who want to gain time until they can maybe hire a mercenary army through the Iron Bank) but viewed from Jon's perspective, it must be incredibly frustrating because all those people are busy arranging chairs on the deck while the Undead Iceberg is about to hit.

Loved the 5th ep, my two frustrations being the intro scene (should have portrayed them both armorless and swimming, instead of emerging from under water 2 miles from where they dove in full armor) and Bronn not having a single scorch mark, when logically he should have some major burns.

Addi

I don't agree with the plot amor complaints. Most of the shocking deaths in the series were caused by the characters' own mistakes or flaws (Ned was honourable to a fault, Oberyn's hubris killed him, Rob broke his promise, Tywin's hypocrisy towards Tyrion etc.). The series have never really been as unpredictable as people make it out to be, it all makes sense within the story's logic.
The main characters won't just die in a big battle without having to face their own demons.
Bronn could have died, yeah, but he has also been established as one of the greatest fighters in Westeros. This is his job, he won't die on the battlefield. They didn't just kill the Tarlys in the battle either, they survived and were given a choice.

I'm sure this has been answered before but why not just put a cage with a prisoner outside of the wall to die of exposure and become a wight instead?

I'm sure this has been answered before but why not just put a cage with a prisoner outside of the wall to die of exposure and become a wight instead?
They have to be turned. Remember that awesome fight against wildlings village a few seasons ago? At the very end, the Night King lifted his hands while glaring at Jon and that's when all the corpses stood back up. I assume he gives them their life.

molnizzle

They have to be turned. Remember that awesome fight against wildlings village a few seasons ago? At the very end, the Night King lifted his hands while glaring at Jon and that's when all the corpses stood back up. I assume he gives them their life.

What about the dead crows they brought back who turned inside Castle Black? That's the whole point of burning the bodies.

Surfinn

Do we have confirmation that they must be manually turned by the White Walkers? I thought it just happens on the other side of the wall, within their area of influence. But I never really thought about it that carefully

molnizzle

Do we have confirmation that they must be manually turned by the White Walkers? I thought it just happens on the other side of the wall, within their area of influence. But I never really thought about it that carefully

Yeah. Pretty sure that's how it works. That's why they burn bodies as soon as they drop when north of the wall.

I'm pretty sure they were already turned. It was mentioned how it was odd they weren't decaying.

If they were already "turned" they've have been wights already, there doesn't seem to be a delay when a white walker does it.

wandering

Banned
Yeah. Pretty sure that's how it works. That's why they burn bodies as soon as they drop when north of the wall.

If they were already "turned" they've have been wights already, there doesn't seem to be a delay when a white walker does it.

Could've been a trap. Trojan wight yo

The Night King or his similars might just have the ability to warg into anything dead (possibly only in below freezing weather), and he only does if the dead thing is relevant to his interests. This could explain why in season 1, we see the weight get turned inside of castle black, he was looking for a sneak attack. It doesn't seem like something that happens instantaneously, it has to be initiated.

Heshinsi

The Night King or his similars might just have the ability to warg into anything dead (possibly only in below freezing weather), and he only does if the dead thing is relevant to his interests. This could explain why in season 1, we see the weight get turned inside of castle black, he was looking for a sneak attack. It doesn't seem like something that happens instantaneously, it has to be initiated.

The Night King had already turned them. The Watch guys specifically mention how it was odd that there was no rot.

What about the dead crows they brought back who turned inside Castle Black? That's the whole point of burning the bodies.
Yeah. That is a good point. Maybe it is both? Maybe they turn on their own, but WW can jump the process. Were the crows killed by WW or other wights, or simply died north of the wall? It's been too long for me to remember.

Based on what member said above, I might be wrong.

molnizzle

There better be some good exposition on the NK this or next season. Hopefully something more than just evil bad that was human turned from the children of men.

If they try to go into white walker culture and humanize them they're gonna fuck it up. No way to do that without pissing off a whole lotta people. Best to just leave him being a force of nature. A living (well, dead I guess) weapon.

The Night King had already turned them. The Watch guys specifically mention how it was odd that there was no rot.

Right, because it was at that point that white walkers' power had progressed to the point that they were actually creating wights again. Because of the comet or whatever. Same reason Dany has dragons. Magic is returning to the world before the long night.

If NK had already turned them wouldn't they already be crazy zombies instead of dead bodies? I mean have we ever seen a wight sleep? lol

It's all so silly and hurts Jon as a character too. It bothers me a lot how reckless the idea is and how it's reliant on characters being too stubborn.

Didnt he just receive a letter from Bran, who he didnt even know was back, and told him he "saw" the walkers at Eastwatch?

And Jon just immediately decides its go time.

Dany could have sent a dragon if her whole deal was seeing to believe. I dont even know why they are even trying with Cersei. If it's a matter of showing the Walker to the world...why would it matter if peasants at King Landing knew of them?

The Maesters seem to be a big deal, so why not take one of them to see the walkers instead of bringing one to Cersei of all people?

I love the atmosphere beyond the wall, but there's just not a good enough reason for it. Add to the fact that it's a suicide mission, with no promise it will work.

Maybe if the dragon glass was there, or if they wrote in some kind of plot item like a much needed ice rock that was necessary to mine the dragon glass or something like that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The only thing related to the Night King I want is maybe some more stuff about the Chilren of the Forrest but I still think that I never wanna see Night King even speak. He is a force of nature, he just does what he has to do not because he wants to, but because that's what he doe.

a916

When was the last time we say the Unsully army... are they still stuck at Casterly Rock? Euron had such a huge presence in the first 2 (3?) episodes, he's gone MIA too...

wandering

Banned
The only thing related to the Night King I want is maybe some more stuff about the Chilren of the Forrest but I still think that I never wanna see Night King even speak. He is a force of nature, he just does what he has to do not because he wants to, but because that's what he doe.

I want him to whisper in Jon's ear: "You know she's your aunt, right?"

If they try to go into white walker culture and humanize them they're gonna fuck it up. No way to do that without pissing off a whole lotta people. Best to just leave him being a force of nature. A living (well, dead I guess) weapon.

Right, because it was at that point that white walkers' power had progressed to the point that they were actually creating wights again. Because of the comet or whatever. Same reason Dany has dragons. Magic is returning to the world before the long night.

If NK had already turned them wouldn't they already be crazy zombies instead of dead bodies? I mean have we ever seen a wight sleep? lol
How are they going to fuck it up? If there is no more exposition on him, he will end up being run of the mill villain which is a huge contrast to the varying and awesome villains the series has. I really hope the season finale or early next season the dude talks, otherwise it will be up to Manhattan cripple flashbacks to give us all his exposition.

When was the last time we say the Unsully army... are they still stuck at Casterly Rock? Euron had such a huge presence in the first 2 (3?) episodes, he's gone MIA too...

In the alternate timeline when HBO decided not to drop 6 episodes and did 2 full length seasons, we got to see what they were doing.

Einchy

What is Night King's connection with Bran about? How is he able to see through Bran's abilities
Bran uses the trees the Children of the Forrest made, and since they also made the Night King, there's probably a lot of connection with the magic at play there.

molnizzle

How are they going to fuck it up? If there is no more exposition on him, he will end up being run of the mill villain which is a huge contrast to the varying and awesome villains the series has. I really hope the season finale or early next season the dude talks, otherwise it will be up to Manhattan cripple flashbacks to give us all his exposition.

D&D already confirmed that he's never gonna talk. They considered giving him dialogue at Hardhome but ultimately decided to keep the white walkers as purely evil weapons.

He absolutely is a run of the mill villain, but we've known that the whole time. All the fucking around with the iron throne for 6 seasons has always been a waste of time compared to the threat of the real villain to the north. I always thought that was the point of the show.

manfestival

can someone explain to me what the 3 eyed raven is supposed to be? I find Brandon Stark to be the least interesting character and never felt compelled to know more about him despite apparently being a major player in the storyline even though he was ignored for an entire season after he got to the big tree.

effzee

Again the catching a zombie could have been just a natural result of the battle at East Watch.

Bran gets vision, Jon decides to leace, Danny says no, Jon says lol I'm king, leaves anyway with Gendry and Davos. End result of the battle they capture a WW and bring it back to Danny and or Cersei.

Heshinsi

Nope lol. First episode they gave us this,

claire_wright_after_white_walkers_turn_her_corpse_into_an_undead_wight.png

D&D already confirmed that he's never gonna talk. They considered giving him dialogue at Hardhome but ultimately decided to keep the white walkers as purely evil weapons.

He absolutely is a run of the mill villain, but we've known that the whole time. All the fucking around with the iron throne for 6 seasons has always been a waste of time compared to the threat of the real villain to the north. I always thought that was the point of the show.

I don't see how the point of the show was the final guy being run of the mill guy. That's you adding what you want (and obvs I want the opposite, but I'm not saying that's the point of the show). The rest of it is true though. I'll keep the hope that they may be lying or branhattan crip gives us more insight.

Einchy

I don't see how the point of the show was the final guy being run of the mill guy. That's you adding what you want (and obvs I want the opposite, but I'm not saying that's the point of the show). The rest of it is true though. I'll keep the hope that they may be lying or branhattan crip gives us more insight.
I wouldn't call Night King run of the mill either.

Top Bottom