• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Ya'll remember when people thought Stannis didn't die? Even after the director, D&D and the actor confirmed it?
They had to write in that confrontation with Davos and Brienne about her beheading him, haha.
I never considered it until now, but Stephen Dillane didn't like Game of Thrones and didn't watch it because it was too dark.

I was pissed that they killed him off screen but maybe it was per his request, not wanting to be involved in the bloody mess of it all, or didn't want to have a video of his head being chopped off or some shit. I'm probably reaching here, but I'm still kinda bitter over it.
I was annoyed with how he went out, all it took was twenty good men to make him lose control of his situation.
It was interesting to hear that he didn't like GoT, he was fantastic as Stannis. Guess he was playing himself.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Addi

Yeah, he seemed to frame it as sacrificing to his "gods", like a ritual rather than a traditional bargain or negotiation.

True, I wonder if the White Walkers had killed him if he stopped giving them kids and if Carl the fookin' legend accelerated the White Walkers' march towards the south?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't get why people assume it's going to be only the morally right/hero characters and fan favorites vs. the White Walkers when the show has said time and time again it's living vs dead. That's something that has been repeated several times. Not to mention how many morally grey characters we've got.

Cersei, Euron, Frankenmountain, LF, Jaime are probably going to be involved in the battle at this point especially considering how many evil characters have died.

Hound, Tormund aren't even morally right dudes, but the reason they've cemented themselves into the "hero" category, is that they have mostly done a 180 from the dipshits they started off as. Unlike a certain somebody who will not be named.

FiggyCal

Banned
They had to write in that confrontation with Davos and Brienne about her beheading him.

I was annoyed with how he went out, all it took was twenty good men to make him lose control of his situation.
It was interesting to hear that he didn't like GoT, he was fantastic as Stannis. Guess he was playing himself.

The guy who played Stannis was incredible. It's amazing how much he did with the character while knowing so little about the show.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are you sure that's the right video? Suggested it had this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uE04nQfO-Q

which looks like a MUCH longer video with more explanations, and yours doesn't mention the white walkers at all.

(not sure if the one I linked does, as it's an hour long and I just started watching)

The one I linked is about the war with the First Men, and how it ended as far as we knew at the time, but now we know that that war didn't end with them just making a truce because they wanted to but because they had to to fight the White Walkers.

Smiley90

The one I linked is about the war with the First Men, and how it ended as far as we knew at the time, but now we know that that war didn't end with them just making a truce because they wanted to but because they had to to fight the White Walkers.

ah, that was missing from the video and I totally forgot those episodes in detail.

Smiley90

Those Lore Videos from the BluRays available on youtube are.. wow.

There's 1h+ long lore videos for every season? OH MY GOD YESSSSSSS

now I know what i'm gonna be watching until Sunday.

here's the long night portion: https://youtu.be/6uE04nQfO-Q?t=597

though I guess we only found out in the show that the children actually CREATED the white walkers, as opposed to them being a mutual enemy of unknown origin?

Heshinsi

I've been telling you guys these lore videos are awesome all season lol. I love how the more recent historical events are usually shown from the perspective of multiple different characters, and it in turn shows you their prejudice and biasness to these story details.

Nameless

Hound, Tormund aren't even morally right dudes, but the reason they've cemented themselves into the "hero" category, is that they have mostly done a 180 from the dipshits they started off as. Unlike a certain somebody who will not be named.

More of a 90 degree turn in the Hound's case. Since early in the series he seemed like an angry but decent guy who'd step up and do the right thing . He saved Loras, came to Sansa's aid on several occasions, protected Arya, and even volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for a spell. The worst thing he did was kill the butcher's boy on orders, but still, I never got the impression he enjoyed serving Joffrey or working for the Lannisters.

Heshinsi

More of a 90 degree turn in the Hound's case. Since early in the series he seemed like an angry but decent guy who'd step up and do the right thing . He saved Loras, came to Sansa's aid on several occasions, protected Arya, and even volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for a spell. The worst thing he did was kill the butcher's boy on orders, but still, I never got the impression he enjoyed serving Joffrey or working for the Lannisters.

That's right. The Hound really was a guy forced to do bad things because it was his job. But any opportunity he got to help a weaker person like Sansa, he mostly stepped in. He did fuck over that one dad and daughter, but he was remorseful when he witnessed what his action partially led to (I'm absolutely certain they would have died regardless of whether the hound stole their money or not).

Every time I start thinking that "you know what, Sansa ain't so bad," I come across this scene, and I just don't care about her storyline any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYeyv-Eo730

Nameless

Those Lore Videos from the BluRays available on youtube are.. wow.

There's 1h+ long lore videos for every season? OH MY GOD YESSSSSSS

now I know what i'm gonna be watching until Sunday.

here's the long night portion: https://youtu.be/6uE04nQfO-Q?t=597

though I guess we only found out in the show that the children actually CREATED the white walkers, as opposed to them being a mutual enemy of unknown origin?

I highly recommend watching these. Same videos but a fan included the score from the series and made them way better:

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

Smiley90

I've been telling you guys these lore videos are awesome all season lol. I love how the more recent historical events are usually shown from the perspective of multiple different characters, and it in turn shows you their prejudice and biasness to these story details.

daaaamn the details on the Mad King's treatment of the Starks

and daaaaaamn those 3 dragons laid MASSIVE waste. No idea how Cersei thinks she can ever even match that.

Heshinsi

daaaamn the details on the Mad King's treatment of the Starks

and daaaaaamn those 3 dragons laid MASSIVE waste. No idea how Cersei thinks she can ever even match that.

Barristan Selmy talking about Prince Rhaegar telling him after we win this war, "there will be a great many changes happening at court" makes me tear up every single time I watch it. If everyone just talked before acting rashly, things could have gone differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGG9fmdPzA

"But whatever the cost, I will not let this ember (Dany) go out."

Sing me a song Ser Barristan.

giphy.gif

Nameless

That's right. The Hound really was a guy forced to do bad things because it was his job. But any opportunity he got to help a weaker person like Sansa, he mostly stepped in. He did fuck over that one dad and daughter, but he was remorseful when he witnessed what his action partially led to (I'm absolutely certain they would have died regardless of whether the hound stole their money or not).

Every time I start thinking that "you know what, Sansa ain't so bad," I come across this scene, and I just don't care about her storyline any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYeyv-Eo730

Yeah Sansa was terrible early on. She must've gotten a surplus of Tully genes because no other Starks acted like that. Reminds a little of Edmure, actually. Love that scene, though. Arya gave not a single fuck. Sansa could've learned a thing or two from her baby sis.

Barristan Selmy talking about Prince Rhaegar telling him after we win this war, "there will be a great many changes happening at court" makes me tear up every single time I watch it. If everyone just talked before acting rashly, things could have gone differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGG9fmdPzA

Barristan's treatment in Season 5 was a goddamn tragedy.

Imagine him being by Daenerys' side right now.

I'll always be salty with how he went out.

The Lore videos are the BEST extras I've ever seen. It makes buying the Bkurays totally worth it.

I love the guy who plays Robert Baratheon. He was born to narrate.

Heshinsi

The Lore videos are the BEST extras I've ever seen. It makes buying the Bkurays totally worth it.

I love the guy who plays Robert Baratheon. He was born to narrate.

I couldn't believe that the guy playing a suburban American father in a sitcom, was actually English and was Robert Baratheon. Hands down one of my most jaw dropping casting revelations.

But...Brienne even told us he's dead.

I had a theory back then that Stannis would come back but as a revived WW after the invasion. Meli was right about him all along, about being the one true king, but not of the living, but of the dead and without knowing it she was actually serving the God of darkness, evil and fear. She sacrificed good people, Shireen included, she didn't feel the cold. Meanwhile Thoros is Myr does...blah blah there was a lot more to it. But it was why he was killed off screen, confirmed by Brienne and show runners, but so was Jon, confirmed to be deader than dead, but killed on screen.

Stupid but I wish it was true, just so Stannis and other characters could come back for the finale as WW's and wights.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
On episode 8 of my season 6 re-watch.

Goddamn am I excited to get to Battle of the Bastards. So far season 6 is just as amazing as I remember it being.

Barristan's treatment in Season 5 was a goddamn tragedy.

Imagine him being by Daenerys' side right now.

I'll always be salty with how he went out.

Would have been wicked to see Barristan leading the Dothraki to battle on the GOLDROAD.

I wanted to see Barristan cut down some Lannisters as a big fuck you to Cersei.

So pissed that they killed him off like a chump.

Heshinsi

She's probably not going to be cool with Jon when she finds out he's the rightful heir to the crown?

Yeah about that. How on earth is Jon going to go claim a title he believes he's the rightful heir to, with just the North and the Vale? On top of that, there's a particular lore video that puts doubt as to whether Jon ever truly was first in line to the Targaryen crown. Namely in that Aerys intentionally skipped Rhaegar's line (bypassing his known legitimate children) when he died, and picked Viserys as his heir.

Also, and if I'm mistaken someone correct me, but when Jon joined the Night's Watch and Viserys had died, Dany became the Targaryen queen correct? She isn't just the heir to her family's crown, because just like Viserys was considered a king in exile, she too became queen. Meaning that Jon after his resurrection becomes her heir, and he doesn't unseat her from the title she has already achieved. Once you rightfully (as Visarys was dead and Jon was in the Watch) gain a position, succession starts after you and not rolled back. For example, if by royal decree Ser Jorah is given a pardon (which I think he got), he doesn't suddenly unseat Lyanna Mormont as ruling Lord/Lady of Bear Island. Until she has children of her own, he becomes her heir or falls behind any other named heirs.

Now before some think that getting the Iron Throne is what's needed to become queen or king, that's not true. A former ruling house in exile can still claim a throne, and have a position of King or Queen in exile, in much the same way that the Stuarts for example did when they lost the British crown. The Stuarts still referred to themselves as Kings and had the same succession system as any royal house would, even though they weren't in Britain to rule. So Dany was for all intents and purposes already the Targaryen Queen before Jon got out of his Watch oath. I think he's her heir, due to Dany not being an heir but the actual Queen. Plus that's if we ignore what I mentioned earlier about what Aerys did.

Yeah about that. How on earth is Jon going to go claim a title he believes he's the rightful heir to, with just the North and the Vale? On top of that, there's a particular lore video that puts doubt as to whether Jon ever truly was first in line to the Targaryen crown. Namely in that Aerys intentionally skipped Rhaegar's line (bypassing his known legitimate children) when he died, and picked Viserys as his heir.

Also, and if I'm mistaken someone correct me, but when Jon joined the Night's Watch and Viserys had died, Dany became the Targaryen queen correct? She isn't just the heir to her family's crown, because just like Viserys was considered a king in exile, she too became queen. Meaning that Jon after his resurrection becomes her heir, and he doesn't unseat her from the title she has already achieved. Once you rightfully (as Visarys was dead and Jon was in the Watch) gain a position, succession starts after you and not rolled back. For example, if by royal decree Ser Jorah is given a pardon (which I think he got), he doesn't suddenly unseat Lyanna Mormont as ruling Lord/Lady of Bear Island. Until she has children of her own, he becomes her heir or falls behind any other named heirs.

Now before some think that getting the Iron Throne is what's needed to become queen or king, that's not true. A former ruling house in exile can still claim a throne, and have a position of King or Queen in exile, in much the same way that the Stuarts for example did when they lost the British crown. The Stuarats still refered to themsleves as Kings and had the same succession system as any royal house would, even though they weren't in Britain to rule. So Dany was for all intents and purposes already the Targaryen Queen before Jon got out of his Watch oath. I think he's her heir, due to Dany not being an heir but the actual Queen. Plus that's if we ignore what I mentioned earlier about what Aerys did.

I think when she finds out he's not only a Targaryen but Rhaegar's son she's gonna fall head over heals for him even more.

She's never known Rhaegar but is convinced that he was a good man and if she is with her brother's son, she's going to feel so happy inside that a piece of her brother is still on the earth and she's never gonna wanna leave his sight after that.

EDIT: STOP fucking spoiling shit for people to the people above ^. Most here haven't seen ep 6. Also remove spoiler tags and don't include them at all, or mods are gonna come ban your ass with the Gendry-sized hammer.

I had a theory back then that Stannis would come back but as a revived WW after the invasion. Meli was right about him all along, about being the one true king, but not of the living, but of the dead and without knowing it she was actually serving the God of darkness, evil and fear. She sacrificed good people, Shireen included, she didn't feel the cold. Meanwhile Thoros is Myr does...blah blah there was a lot more to it. But it was why he was killed off screen, confirmed by Brienne and show runners, but so was Jon, confirmed to be deader than dead, but killed on screen.

Stupid but I wish it was true, just so Stannis and other characters could come back for the finale as WW's and wights.

I'm still clinging onto a small hope that Stannis wasn't killed and her prophecy ends up being true. Killing him off screen as they did was F-tier level of writing, some of the worst garbage I've seen in the last few years on television. There was no reason for it at all. Your pov in regards to her serving the other God is very intriguing however. Don't know why people talk about Jon being the ruler. He'll only do it if everyone gives it to him, guy doesn't give a fuck about ruling. Especially all 7 Kingdoms.

I read a spoiler in a twitch chat (on a smaller channel, ~200 viewers, some guy just wrote the whole thing in all caps. quickly banned but damage was already done), and a youtube comment on a video that had nothing to do with GoT. People just enjoy being shitty.

On another note, I feel pretty bad for streamers and moderators who are invested in the show. They are basically guaranteed to be spoiled and there's nothing they can do about it.

I'm still clinging onto a small hope that Stannis wasn't killed and her prophecy ends up being true. Killing him off screen as they did was F-tier level of writing, some of the worst garbage I've seen in the last few years on television. There was no reason for it at all. Your pov in regards to her serving the other God is very intriguing however. Don't know why people talk about Jon being the ruler. He'll only do it if everyone gives it to him, guy doesn't give a fuck about ruling. Especially all 7 Kingdoms.

I'd love for Stannis to come back and I too, have a bit of hope that he'll return, in some form at least. The only reason for the off screen killing is my opinion about Frank actually disliking the show and the character and not wanting to be involved in anything too gruesome if it didn't have to be shown.

That was adorable.

Not so adorable when you realize there's a gun off camera forcing him to have fun, right?

On another note, I feel pretty bad for streamers and moderators who are invested in the show. They are basically guaranteed to be spoiled and there's nothing they can do about it.

Agreed, thanks to Duckroll and Cornballer who have been pretty swift keeping the order in this thread. Sucks they're forced into getting spoiled though.

Top Bottom