• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Speevy

Banned
I interpret the move from unrest to order to be the result of Baratheon supporters hating that the disgusting Lannisters finally took over fully.

What doesn't make any sense is what would happen after you overthrew a theocracy.

They have stuff like that in the real world. I believe they call it terrorism or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All the militant aspects of the church of the seven ( have no idea what its called) was blown up along with the High Sparrow. There might be pockets of true believers here and there but not nearly enough to wage holy war on Cersei. The High Sparrow wasn't really given enough time to change the culture of Westeros.

FiggyCal

Banned
I also can't stand that the "theory" youtube channels all suddenly came out with videos the week we had a major leak. It's pathetic.

dabig2

Its one of the biggest plotholes of the show

and before anyone defends it, explain to me how did a riot happen IN SEASON TWO, when things were way better for the lannisters and winter hadnt begun yet. It makes no sense that the people would forget, especially considering the amount of sparrow followers and how much the commoners loved Margaery

The biggest curiousity will always be Olenna not mustering up all of her forces in The Reach (like the Tarlys) and assaulting King's Landing immediately. Instead she's drinking wine in Dorne.

But then S7 would be drastically different and the showrunners are in love with Heady so instead we got what we got.

Hydrus

It's funny, I was thinking today about the Magnificent Seven beyond the wall and was thinking about how I'd rank them in order of who I like most to least. Then it had me thinking that I like Beric and Thoros, yet if I had to make a rough guess, both probably had between 10-15 minutes total screen time in the entire show's run so far, yet somehow I and many others really like them.

Game of Thrones just has a way of getting you to like characters who have pretty detestable quality or who aren't on screen very much.

I think a big reason is because the actors. Beric's actor looks and sounds like a badass. Seriously, that guy has one of the coolest voices I've ever heard. And Thoros actor is also perfect casting. He really gives off that drunk, buy loyal sidekick vibe lol.

Speevy

Banned
All the militant aspects of the church of the seven ( have no idea what its called) was blown up along with the High Sparrow. There might be pockets of true believers here and there but not nearly enough to wage holy war on Cersei. The High Sparrow wasn't really given enough time to change the culture of Westeros.

You're right.

All you'd need to do is march a group of armored knights up the High Sparrow and demand that...

Yeah, they really should have just grabbed Tommen and Margaery then. Jaime Lannister will charge at a dragon but he wouldn't save his own son from the clutches of a bunch of lunatics.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Rewatching old scenes and comparing them with actions characters do later, makes things like that stand out lol.

So this season represents the book Martin hasn't released yet and next season is the next book after?

They are speed running this pretty hard it feels like. I guess they don't have Martins work to straight up lift from in part and are now working off of Martins cliff note plot points.

It feels like bad character drama followed by exceptional action set pieces and so on.

Like michael bay, whoosh and then the dragons fly in and blaarrrrgh!

Followed by really awkward dialogues.

fuzaco

So this season represents the book Martin hasn't released yet and next season is the next book after?

They are speed running this pretty hard it feels like. I guess they don't have Martins work to straight up lift from in part and are now working off of Martins cliff note plot points.

It feels like bad character drama followed by exceptional action set pieces and so on.

The show hasn't followed the books since season 5. They're doing their owns thing now, the books will probably be totally different (if they ever come out).

WriterGK

That's not true your last sentence. The High Sparrow had a bloody lot of run time on the show. It kept on dragging and going on. I was glad when they were finally gone.

nubbe

That's the difference when something can yeast for 10 years while others need to do real work in a few weeks to get things rolling.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Honestly, I'd say Martin would take an entire book to do as much as D&D did in 5 episodes. The pacing is absolutely in overdrive ever since they went past Martin's writing, and they had already cut some of the spare plot lines out of the later books.

The show hasn't followed the books since season 5. They're doing their owns thing now, the books will probably be totally different (if they ever come out).

No I don't think so. I think they have chopped off many many story branches in order to save time and to make a more concise and "lets get this over with already" production.

But I'd wager there is a root to the major plot points like walkers/who sits the throne that's the same as the books.

I hope Miguel Sapochnik gets the last 2 episodes of the series. Watching 6x9 and 6x10 again I feel that they are the most tonaly consistent back to back episodes. Most of the directors they bring on seem to excel at action or dramatic scenes. I feel he's the one who has handled doing both the best.

Travo

I'm just gonna say it, but I think Euron is a pointless, generic bad guy at this point in the series. I feel like they really should of left him out instead of making a new story line for him. I read a fan theory not that long ago where they think he will end up being the true final boss of GoT who steals the throne and the heros will have to kill after defeating the white walkers. If something like that were to happen, it would be the biggest load of BS ever. Hate when stories introduce the real main villain this late in a story.

Ramsey and Joffrey fill in.

Timbuktu

Honestly, I'd say Martin would take an entire book to do as much as D&D did in 5 episodes. The pacing is absolutely in overdrive ever since they went past Martin's writing, and they had already cut some of the spare plot lines out of the later books.

I have to wonder how demanding the show has been on D&D's lives for them to want to get it over with asap. It must be stopping them from going home for most months of the year for them to be so tired of what will likely be the pinnacle of what they achieve in their careers.

RS4-

Yeah, I think the books might be completely different compared to the show.

Which would be fine with me.

bratpack

I have to wonder how demanding the show has been on D&D's lives for them to want to get it over with asap. It must be stopping them from going home for most months of the year for them to be so tired of what will likely be the pinnacle of what they achieve in their careers.

yep can't be easy most exec producers leave there shows after the 5 season mark and shows get new ones.

joss whedon wasn't as hands on with buffy anymore after 5.
Eric kripke left supernatural at 5 aswell.

not sure about X-Files but I'd say there was a changeover

Martin has the benefit of time and nothing else to complete his story

these guys have deadlines and actors on contracts who will get more expensive by the season for hbo then theres more expensive cgi and bigger setpieces as the seasons go on which people will expect then theres the soundtracks to complete which are always amazing

plus tv shows by there nature always start to sag by seasons 6-9 should they make it that far
GOT is doing the right thing by short more focused seasons

Nameless

Its one of the biggest plotholes of the show

and before anyone defends it, explain to me how did a riot happen IN SEASON TWO, when things were way better for the lannisters and winter hadnt begun yet. It makes no sense that the people would forget, especially considering the amount of sparrow followers and how much the commoners loved Margaery

No need to defend anything, this is a dumb complaint.

Why did they immediately forgive & forget that Tywin sacked the city in Robert's name? Why did they cheer Joffrey shortly after rioting against him? Why did they condemn Tyrion, who saved the city, and mourn a cowardly shit like Joffrey? Forgetting for a second that countless resistance movements throughout history have been squashed by cutting off the head and Cersei incinerated the entire fucking body along with the institution reinforcing its ideals, these are King's Landing commonfolk -- the powerless, ill-informed, ultra fickle crust in the asshole of Westeros.

Volimar

Maybe it's not always the same people. Like there were Barathocrats and Lannipublicans and only the ones interested in what's going on show up to cheer and the rest stay home.

I just noticed in S1E1 Robert put a crows feather over the hands of Lyannas statue.. he then said "She was meant for me!" To our boy Ned.. the way Ned shook his head after Robert said it.. lawd.

I don't know about that, how would he know?
Aemon probably suspect greatness from Jon, that's all.
With regards to Jon's identity, you can be certain that the only people who knew before were Eddard Stark and Howland Reed.
The 3ER knew but he knows everything.

Doesn't Jaime basically mention exactly that when he talks to Euron?
Yeah, pretty much.

Nameless

Maybe. Aemon had left the citadel by that time.
Although after watching that clip, it does seem Aemon is implying he chose wrong and regrets it.

Totally, But he know doubt knew of Maester Maynard and if a tidbit like that was in his logs, who knows what might've been included in letters and various correspondence floating those around those circles at the time.

New episode tonight:
Beyond the Wall

Jon's mission continues north of the wall, but the odds against his ragged band of misfits may be greater than he imagined.

The mission to retrieve a wight from beyond the Wall hits a snag. Sansa and Arya find themselves at odds.
Those are the two loglines I was able to find, though there doesn’t appear to be an official one from HBO in a press release.

Vashetti

Banned
I love this

Co2oANe.jpg

Nameless

but euron sunk her naval fleet
twice

Her armies have been defeated in combat and she can't personally fight anyone. She should cut that shit off.

She and the Doktraki are 2-0 and absolutely decimated their opponents both times. Why would they hold her allies being beaten against her when she wasn't even there?

Also Drogo wasn't a fireproof dragon whisperer.

Top Bottom